View Poll Results: Horses & Mounts:worth the dev time?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 38.02%
  • No

99 51.56%
  • I dont care or mind

20 10.42%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Community Member

Mounts being a total waste of dev time was one of the first things to pop into my mind when I heard about them.

I dont know if anyone actually bothers with this since a slightly toned down version became baked into air ship buffs, but at least for in public spaces we effectively HAVE a mount already, just one without any time or effort invested into animations and graphics - the House P favor clicky.

Even the airship buff movespeed is sufficient to allow us to effectively motor around public spaces, so what mounts are good for is just very minimally improving our movement through the wilderness spaces which honestly takes up a very minor amount of play time in most cases. I am not sure whether you can actually fight on mounts but if not it makes them not even useful for those few groups of people who DO spend a lot of time in the wilderness areas - anyone who likes to farm the wildernesses.

There is only 1 way I could possibly see these as being useful additions to the game and not a colossal waste of dev time and it is almost certainly not going to happen. If getting mounts working was a prestep towards releasing a new class and weapon type - Lances and then something like Lancer, which as a class would be able to summon and fight on horses inside dungeons.
    Vlyxnol - Coven of Heroes - Cannith
    "As a tank I feel that plate armor is necessary for my survivability but I also feel that other players need to see my belly button."

I'm thinking fighting on horseback in dungeons would be ridiculous...

Then I remember they've given folks Uzis...

Wouldn't put anything past them.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Cordo demonstrated the mounts on the live stream today, and he was able to remain mounted inside a tavern..
    DUMBEST IDEA SSG HAS EVER HAD.

It's "my little pony" nonsense like dual xbows, OP'ed class & race releases and now mounts that keep driving players away.

This game is turning into a joke in the gaming world.

The PM's one of my friends gets from his friends & associates in the entertainment biz reflect this sentiment.

I have the right to say what I will, I've spent enough money on this game, helped the new players more than anyone I know (including SSG) and supported staff when they shot themselves in the foot.

No more, Ravenloft was the last good thing to happen to this game, it's been in a death spiral since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Goalt View Post
    This company f*cking sells XP to its players! And people actually buy it! You know your game's reached a new low when the only people buying things are the same ones buying game time to... wait for it... reduce the amount of time they have to spend in-game! Brilliant logic! Let's bring in "mounts" to reduce the time people spend playing the f*cking game!

Have you ever wanted to play more of a game... by... playing less of it?
    Interesting. Oh... only the enjoyable parts where you get to click a mouse, I see, I see. I can't imagine - I mean, for me personally, when I do something that I enjoy, I try to... maximize... see, maximize... the amount of time I spend doing it. Because you like it, right? I mean, why on earth would anybody think of the opposite? Reducing the time you spend to do something you enjoy? No, just not possible.

You know something's wrong when you're trying to (purposefully) cut down on the amount of time you get to spend on an enjoyable task.
    I fear this may be a huge overreaction to a simple feature that players have been asking for for a long time. A couple things to note here:

1. Nothing is forcing you to use a mount if you don't want to. People enjoy the game in a variety of ways - some prefer to max out xp/min and burn through dungeons, others (like myself) like to take it slower, and enjoy the scenery.
    2. "Playing more by playing less" is actually not a bad thing, like, at all. Think about it: Often times, people are pressed for time, as they don't have every hour of the day available to them to play DDO. When there is only, say, 30-45 minutes available for them to play, I'm sure they wouldn't be happy having to spend 5-10 minutes of that running around a wilderness just to get to a quest they want to run. Mounts are a great option for them, as they cut that time down, allowing them to more easily run past bunches of mobs to reach their destination quicker. Sure, it could easily be argued to just "put in an instant teleport to the quest", but this option heavily ruins the purpose of having adventure areas to begin with (and I speculate that the Devs haven't put in many adventure areas of late partially due to this).
    3. I know it wasn't specifically mentioned in your post, but according to what I see on the preview server, you actually won't have to purchase the mounts from the DDO store exclusively. They can be obtained in game simply by playing. If anything, this adds to your time enjoying the game, as it gives you an additional objective to work toward - obtaining the artifacts to get your mount, and so on.

Just offering my two cents in a respectful way from the perspective of a semi-casual player. You don't have to agree, but I hope you can at least see where I'm coming from here.

Edit: For those who say that this is a "waste of dev time", I see where you are coming from, however, there are a lot of other features coming this update that may appeal to you more. I see no reason why the devs can't add in extra features like this one in addition to fixing bugs and adding new content. But, being that this is the DDO forums, I am in full understanding that saying this likely won't please anyone either, so feel free to carry on
    Last edited by xaul17; 10-31-2019 at 04:46 AM.
    Leader of the Crusaders of Heaven, Khyber
    Guild is currently Level 140 - We are always openly recruiting.
    PM: Josetta / Sarahanne
    "This is why we can't have nice things."

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    Scroll run in ---------------, must have mount.
    Eh, even if that is the case, being that Borderlands are level 1-2 and mounts are VERY easy to obtain in game, then I don't see this being a huge issue. Even so, most LFMs I join nowadays are already IP by the time I get there, so having a mount versus not having one won't make a huge difference
    Leader of the Crusaders of Heaven, Khyber
    Guild is currently Level 140 - We are always openly recruiting.
    PM: Josetta / Sarahanne
    "This is why we can't have nice things."

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

I am actually really excited for mounts. I don't see how mounts would be blocking people considering you can just run through them like any other PC. I can certainly see how it would be odd for a PDK to ride a massive horse into a tavern, but it bothers me less seeing a gnome or halfling riding a pony into buildings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Yep! U44 is a pretty QOL focused patch keep an eye on the Lamannia release notes for more information.
    Please make that the norm for a while. I get the feeling from things that have happened that your code base probably has a high amount of technical debt. It feels from the outside that you guys only pay it down when things are close to breaking from it.

If revenue from mount skins allows SSG to rent servers which actually work I'm for it.

Default Why?

What value do mounts bring into the game? With all the fixes that are needed, mounts clogging up the data stream is not one of them. For me, that would include update/fixing Half-Elf. Regardless, there were a myriad of things needing dev's attention.
    The Shadow Sage of Nusemne

(LYCEUM OF SHADOW): "ONLY FOOLS CALL THE SHADOW EVIL"

If SSG can "corral" support from online gaming sites and provide them the MEDIA and the MESSAGING to write about them then I think this could be a big win for SSG.

If they come out to NO FANFARE except threads like this on this form then I think it will remain a mixed bag with minimal, but perhaps essential long term bump to the profit margin.

WE can play a positive role as well on sites like Youtube showing off our mounts and talking up the game we love to play.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    If SSG can "corral" support from online gaming sites and provide them the MEDIA and the MESSAGING to write about them then I think this could be a big win for SSG.

If they come out to NO FANFARE except threads like this on this form then I think it will remain a mixed bag with minimal, but perhaps essential long term bump to the profit margin.

WE can play a positive role as well on sites like Youtube showing off our mounts and talking up the game we love to play.

Sure sites will do a write up. But it won't be any headline, rather a "page 6" sub-title.

Mounts will not draw any substantial amount of new or returning player response.

Given the fact this game has wing-nuts and duck-tape holding it together, and is up against games with massive video enhancement support from related companies, mounts will be an "oh yeah, I heard that" news item.

Mounts are a bad move for game development in the respect it wont move the game forward. This is like the visible cloak addition, fluff only.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagin View Post
    Sure sites will do a write up. But it won't be any headline, rather a "page 6" sub-title.

Mounts will not draw any substantial amount of new or returning player response.

Given the fact this game has wing-nuts and duck-tape holding it together, and is up against games with massive video enhancement support from related companies, mounts will be an "oh yeah, I heard that" news item.

Mounts are a bad move for game development in the respect it wont move the game forward. This is like the visible cloak addition, fluff only.
    Agree and disagree.

Fluff or Flavor?

If it's fluff, its worthless. If it's Flavor, its FEEL and that's what they're are banking on. If they make it feel like D&D, it will be fun for some and the DDO playerbase will respond positively.

Writeups by the gaming sites and social media posts by the playerbase are a TRIBUTE to the game at this point. If MOUNTS provide someone the excitement to do a good writeup or a social media post, its money in the bank and totally worth the dev time. Attention = new subscriptions. In my opinion -- anything down the road like this holds tremendous value.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 11-03-2019 at 05:52 PM.

No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Don't sell flavor short. Flavor is fantasy. Everything in DDO is Flavor. It's what blew DDO past Neverwinter and almost every other RPG/MMO in my opinion. Flavor is variety and it's why many of us are still here.

Community Member

Don't sell flavor short. Flavor is fantasy. Everything in DDO is Flavor. It's what blew DDO past Neverwinter and almost every other RPG/MMO in my opinion. Flavor is variety and it's why many of us are still here.
    Neverwinter has no staying power because it has no build variety and has a huge amount of grind paywalled behind p2w tactics that makes SSG's look like heroes of balanced f2p. (Honestly, DDO isn't bad among f2p titles, even though I wish they'd drop f2p and the store and go back to the sub because f2p is overall horrible)

That said I'm not against mounts, but I don't see the benefit. Maybe I'll be wowed, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by jkalten View Post
    Neverwinter has no staying power because it has no build variety and has a huge amount of grind paywalled behind p2w tactics that makes SSG's look like heroes of balanced f2p. (Honestly, DDO isn't bad among f2p titles, even though I wish they'd drop f2p and the store and go back to the sub because f2p is overall horrible)

That said I'm not against mounts, but I don't see the benefit. Maybe I'll be wowed, but I doubt it.

What about the people who spent big amounts of cash for buying content and upgardes and more ? So what they spent goes to thrash if they do not subscribe ?

How about new players who are free to play and forming a portion of the DDO community ?

Do you think DDO can go on with subscribers only ?

What is your opinion about pay to win wall games that are dying or long dead becasue they cash cowed the players as much as they could although they were at the same mmo ship with DDO once ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    Grumpy Humanoid Rogue/Never gone give you up

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lagin View Post

Given the fact this game has wing-nuts and duck-tape holding it together, and is up against games with massive video enhancement support from related companies
    Ok, the first half of this statement seems to be very true. I have a feeling that looking at the code would give most devs nightmares. But the last part doesn't even make sense. Are you saying that you that other games have better graphics from fully utilizing new features in DX12, Vulkan, or Metal? Sure they do. But DDO isn't built to take advantage of that because all its assets don't use those features. Sure, they could probably add new shaders easily enough, and honestly, I think they have when you look at some of the new effects in more recent content.

However, saying that you think they'd do better if they updated that kind of thing seems wrong headed to me. DDO right now runs on pretty much anything with an x86/amd64 CPU. If you bump that kind of stuff you'd be kicking some of the player population out of the game. That's punching yourself levels of foolishness if a company in the position of SSG did that.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kutalp View Post
    What about the people who spent big amounts of cash for buying content and upgardes and more ? So what they spent goes to thrash if they do not subscribe ?

How about new players who are free to play and forming a portion of the DDO community ?

Do you think DDO can go on with subscribers only ?

What is your opinion about pay to win wall games that are dying or long dead becasue they cash cowed the players as much as they could although they were at the same mmo ship with DDO once ?
    Honestly, all of that is a huge problem if they ever tried to convert back. It would be very hard to do.

Maybe f2p is too hard to ever get back in the bottle. What I can tell you is from looking hard at monetization formulas lately as an app developer, f2p is horrible. You have to design systems into your game to annoy players into spending money, or lock power behind the store if you want to make money.

Now, I'm not referring to DLC, I'm just referring to f2p and in app purchases. Those have had a profound negative effect on game quality in the industry, all the while having a profound positive effect on profit. It's why so many people like Apple Arcade with it's no ads and no in app purchases. The games, even the simple ones like a mobile pinball game are higher quality than their f2p counterparts because they didn't have to design in things to sell in the App Store so that they can make a profit.

F2P is overall a negative.
    Last edited by jkalten; 11-03-2019 at 06:29 PM.

F2P is the #1 recruitment tool this game has. Killing F2P ENDS DDOs life cold turkey. It is a HUGE net POSITIVE for a new player or those who WANT to partake in the DDO experience but cannot afford to sub right now.

Don't confuse "wingnuts", a political slang term, with the heart of the DDO community. What this community has going is a strong sense of community. Many in the DDO playerbase are grown adults that are here as much for the PEOPLE they met through the years playing as they have for the game itself. Very many ways to enjoy that camaraderie to this day.

It may not be as MANY people as it was many moons ago.. but those of us that love the game and the community are HERE and on every server. Multple guilds exist on multiple servers for new and returning players can enjoy.

Community Member

F2P is the #1 recruitment tool this game has. Killing F2P ENDS DDOs life cold turkey. It is a HUGE net POSITIVE for a new player or those who WANT to partake in the DDO experience but cannot afford to sub right now.

Don't confuse "wingnuts", a political slang term, with the heart of the DDO community. What this community has going is a strong sense of community. Many in the DDO playerbase are grown adults that are here as much for the PEOPLE they met through the years playing as they have for the game itself. Very many ways to enjoy that camaraderie to this day.

It may not be as MANY people as it was many moons ago.. but those of us that love the game and the community are HERE and on every server. Multple guilds exist on multiple servers for new and returning players can enjoy.
    I don't think anyone confused that. It was pretty clear that an actual metaphorical physical wing nut.

F2P may encourage new players, but it holds back quality design principles in my opinion. That means that you get the new players but don't keep them very long. Like I said, SSG's is better than most f2p games, but the f2p model does 100% lower the quality of the game period.

Quote Originally Posted by jkalten View Post
    F2P may encourage new players, but it holds back quality design principles in my opinion. That means that you get the new players but don't keep them very long. Like I said, SSG's is better than most f2p games, but the f2p model does 100% lower the quality of the game period.
    To share a very enjoyable Irish term I reserve for certain situations... that's MALARKEY!

CAMARADERIE is what keeps people for weeks, months & years playing DDO. GUILDS are a game feature that STILL delivers the goods in this arena. Guilds just need those of similar mindset and playstyle that are willing to play together.

Many who start as F2P have advanced to VIP. Some fade back because of time or cost. But I can with FIRST HAND experience tell you that F2P has been and still is a great mechanism for DDO to allow those interested the opportunity to see if DDO is for them.

I lost count how many times our guildies have offered passes for F2P accounts to join our guild parties for questing in VIP areas. But if you ask them.. they will say its the PEOPLE that drives their enjoyment of the game as much as it is the game.

So I'm sorry, from an experienced guild leader and alliance leader, your observation above, which I respect, is simply not true.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 11-04-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast