Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

Thread: DDO is Alive

  1. #41
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Well my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

    People treat you like trash for your Game Dying nonsense.
    I give you a fair chance to explain what you are on about.
    You instead choose to demonstarte why no one takes you seriously.

    Although your posting history on your sock account answers my question for me:

    Thread: Merge the non-hardcore servers, by concavenator
    "im not even playing the game anymore because hangout here to venting gets way more player interaction than my dead server does. and as soon as the weather stop being hot as hell im gon go ride a bike"


    Dude, go ride your bike.

  2. #42
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    I give you a fair chance to explain what you are on about.
    if by a fair chance u mean u keep asking the same loaded question over and over while getting confused on the definition then yes im so sry i didt take you up on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    Dude, go ride your bike.
    yeah.... coming from the one stalking me and reading all my old post lol whooshed and triggered yikes. also its raining today so i cant
    Last edited by concavenator; 10-23-2019 at 07:19 PM.

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    I'm also trying to understand why some people feel the need to constantly remind us "the game is dying".

    Who is your intended audience? The Devs? Are we playing the "NOW don't you wish you took my advice?" game? To what end?

    Okay, yadda yadda game dying yadda yadda Doom SOON yadda... I gotta get back to Crafting for my NEWBIE tank in my NEW Guild. LOL.




    PS for SSG lurkers: Mad props to your Customer Service wing, whenever I have had an issue, they have responded promptly and professionally.
    It is because if they say it enough, they will eventually be right so they can attempt to rub it in our faces.

  4. #44
    Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter
    Livmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarlona
    Posts
    5,211

    Default

    7pm PST on Wed. night and I only looked at Cannith, Sarlona, and G-Land. All have lots of LFMs up with Cannith having more ATM. Perhaps you may wish to play on another server. Thankfully I live in the PST time zone, so for me the game is far from dead.

  5. #45
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anuulified View Post
    It is because if they say it enough, they will eventually be right so they can attempt to rub it in our faces.
    That's the only thing that makes sense.

    If I thought the game was dying, I would go find another game to play. Not haunt the forums and whine 3 pages about "loaded" questions.

    Tonite I threw up an LFM for VON flagging and had a group up and running in 10 mins. Shrug?

  6. #46
    Community Member Potatofasf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brazil, RJ
    Posts
    504

    Default

    As alive as a rock... eroding in the weather.
    No Signature...

  7. #47
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    That was a question. Is there a reason the "it's dying" crowd won't attempt a response?
    I think that other guy was just trying to make a joke.

    I don't go out of my way to comment on the forums that the game is dying, but I certainly agree and believe it.
    So, as part of the "it's dying" crowd, I will attempt a response. Here goes.

    I like the game. It's possibly my favorite game. I've spent around 8,000 hours in the game, which I realized recently comes out to about a year logged in. And that was a scary realization on it's own. This is to say, I don't -want- the game to die. No.

    So why say it? As I said, I don't go out of my way to say it, but I do say it. If I'm saying it, it's because I want the Devs to listen. I want them to make changes toward making this a better game. So that maybe, just maybe, it doesn't -DIE-.

    Can I elaborate? Certainly. Now keep in mind, I'm an Australian. So I will grant you, that my peak play time is actually during the server's low point each day, and short of becoming nocturnal or moving country, I can't really do much about that. But most (granted, not always, but MOST) of the time I log in these days, there's less than 5 LFMs up. Sometimes, there's ZERO LFMs up. I don't know if you know this, but that's BAD. I don't expect it to always have 30 or more LFMs up or some unreasonable number, but a game that is ALIVE and Kicking should NEVER have ZERO groups looking for players. That is a BIG CRIMSON RED FLAG.
    I was in a group today (By group, I mean me and one other guy) and he checked the WHO tab, to find fewer than 100 people logged in. I don't think you can call this an MMO when there is fewer than 100 people logged in. At that point, it is merely an MO.

    And I'm really hoping that it IS just the Hardcore server sucking everyone away, because it's been like this for a while. (A LOT longer than the HC server came out, but the HC server has made it vastly worse)

    I read one of these comments saying "Play! Drag your friends along and have fun!"

    I tried. I got 6 friends so far to play DDO.

    One left due to bugs. He made it to level 10.
    One left due to the lag. (He didn't make it out of KORTHOS) He made it to level 2.
    One left due to the elitist "Gotta go fast" mentality, he told me after he left that he wasn't playing it again, because he didn't feel like he was ever PLAYING. Just, RUNNING after the others. He made it to level 12.
    One left because he lasted about 10 minutes. Took a look at the character he made, got into the game, took a look at the game, started laughing, and told me "This is the ugliest MMO I've ever seen. And I play Runescape." He....He didn't make it to level 2.
    And 2 left because DDO was too "Run and Gun Murder Hobo" for their taste. They wanted a more roleplay-esque experience from the game. (So the game wasn't for them. That at least, is fair enough.)


    I've asked everyone else I know who plays games to TRY it, and everyone else just looks at it and says "nooooooooooooo thank you."

    So, do I have recommendations? My recommendations are:

    Stop working tirelessly on new content new content new content, and start:

    Making the game look better. I know this is basically impossible to do, I also know that all the newest content looks way better, even amazing in some cases. I also know you're working on making the WORST races look better. Keep at that. And maybe try and update some of the older quests? At least their textures? And please dont let me catch another staircase that's half embedded into wherever it's going, or some other staircase. It looks ugly and unprofessional when it appears that you've just taken a solid staircase Lego block, crammed it somewhere, and just used walls or other platforms or more staircase blocks to cover up the top half. Surely just removing the bit you don't need isn't too difficult?

    Try and really hit bugs. I know you're doing that already. But I wouldn't mind an update where NOTHING gets added to the game, and instead you just post a list of bugs fixed. A BIG list.

    I would say to do away with Reaper, or to at least do away with the Reaper TREES, as I 100% believe that reaper has done more damage to this game, than anything else SSG has done since Menace of the Underdark came out, fracturing the playerbase, splitting the elite into what I can only call the "ELITER" elite and the Lesser Elite, neither of which want to play Normal or Hard, but only one of which can adequately go above R2 or so, basically promising that new players will NEVER stick around after that point, because having someone pull you into Elite before you were ready was a kick in the pants. Having someone pull you Into REAPER when you're not ready is a kick in the pants and a punch in the face. I can steam roll Elite, and Reaper 3+ is a **** experience for ME. So I weep for someone who has trouble with HARD being pulled in to it. So they wont. And they wont be working on their reaper trees. And the GAP. KEEPS. WIDENING.

    But that ship has sailed, so why bother saying it.

    And finally, I would REALLY appreciate a server merge. Some people in this thread say "The servers are dead." Others say "Nah my server is alive and kicking!"
    Well MERGE THE DAMN SERVERS PLEASE. My server IS dead. I've got a friend who server jumped to my server, and he said HIS server was DOUBLE DEAD. He said he had 3 people that he knew logged in, and he never saw another soul, and played 99% solo. And that's basically what Im doing now. I don't even do my own LFMs anymore. I spent YEARS, just waiting for hours. Waiting for my LFM to get even 1 other person. So I could start. Waiting hours, watching youtube, until 3 hours later Id just say nope, and go play something else. Or, get rid of the "First life cant open Hard or Elite" business. Epic doesn't have it. Why does Heroic still have it? It's frustrating. I understand that it's a ViP pull. But at this point, I've spent literally thousands of dollars on this game, so that I could OWN everything. I own all the content. I have the biggest shared bank. The biggest platinum bank. All character slots. Every account boost I can have, I have it. I don't want to spent $15 a month, to get +10% experience, and the ability to open elite.

    In fact, there's an idea. Maybe find a way to make ViP either more valuable, OR (And I've posted this on the forums before, but it got like, 2 responses and no Devs seemed to see it or if they did none responded) Make a 2ndary lesser subscription model, where for only $3 - $5 a month, you get everything a ViP gets, minus the access to content and the 500 DDO points. Like, a "Premium Perks" package, for the premium person who owns the whole game already, and cant justify shelling out the ViP price for the small part of ViP that they don't already own. Alternate Revenue Stream that doesn't require making any new content to sell, and something that a lot of premium players in my shoes, may actually buy. Guaranteed money per month. Boom.


    Or, just keep making new stuff, that will add new bugs, without fixing much of the old stuff, and not really attracting new players, and in the case of reaper and adding moar moar moar PLs and MOAR EPLs and MOOOOOOOOOOOAR RPLS actively forcing new players away.
    And I will keep thinking that the game is dying. Because it is. Sure, XPacs bring in a crowd. But they are few and far between. And the reality is, players will always eventually get bored of games and leave. As long as the new player base is bigger than the old, the game will survive. But in the state this game is in, new players are flicked away. And the old players will still leave. Because you can't stop that from happening. So sure, it might not be in 2013. It might not be in 2019. It might not even be in 2022. But this game is dying. Dying a slow but steady death. And as I said in sentence 1, I LIKE THIS GAME. I DON'T WANT THAT. But the Devs are gunna keep doing what they do. Because new content sells, and that seems to be the only way their really making their money back. They're doing what they have to. And we're in a negative feedback loop, that will eventually run out of loop.

    And you ask me, "Why haven't you answered the question? Why don't you respond?"

    And I answer, "Because me saying this won't change anything. We are mid loop at this point. It's already done. They can't bust out of the loop without going bankrupt before they regain equilibrium. So we're stuck. And we're sad. But we have no where to go but down. So as I said at the end of the reaper paragraph: Why bother saying it?"

    P.S.: It's in my signature, but for those who miss it and are wondering, I'm on Thelanis.

    So that's my answer for your question. Feel free to pick it apart. I'll go be sad somewhere else.
    Last edited by SpardaX; 10-24-2019 at 06:34 AM.
    Server: Thelanis - Characters Main: Rusttttt, Sepiaaaaa, Amethysttttt - Other Alts: Flameeeee, Siennaaaaa, Rougeeeee, Roseeeee, Wineeeee, Marigolddddd, Zaffreeeee, Wisteriaaaaa, Scarlettttt, Rufousssss, Lilaccccc, Puceeeee, Azureeeee, Orchiddddd, Sinopiaaaaa, Amaranthhhhh, Violettttt, Umberrrrr, Tawnyyyyy, And More! Literally too many for the Signature!

  8. #48
    Community Member SerPounce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,666

    Default

    I just got two new subs for my older kids today because we were running out of F2P quests. They love it, and I'm having a lot of fun playing with them . I think people underestimate how much growth is established players passing on their hobby to people around them in ways that don't show up on the LFM panel. My kids certainly aren't going to be joining any pugs. If anything activity probably feels down for regulars because I'm grouping with my kids rather than joining PUGs/guild/channel raids/etc.

    People keep saying that the population is "declining," but what they really seem to mean is there aren't as many people playing as there was from 2009-12. I haven't noticed any significant change in the last five years. If anything things seem up since pre-ravenloft.

    If you were in a store and there were thousands of people shopping you'd think that store was thriving. But since online there are games with millions of players on at a time, one with mere thousands seems empy. But that doesn't mean it's dying.

    There's definitely an issue with PUGing/grouping in DDO. TRing, the huge level range, power gaps, focus on xp/min, etc all contribute. That's been an issue for years. Even in DDO's heyday PUGing was pretty bleh. It would be great if something could be done to help with that, but it's neither a new problem or a sign of imminent collapse.
    Sabbath - Sarlona

  9. #49
    Community Member SerPounce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by concavenator
    im not even playing the game anymore because hangout here to venting gets way more player interaction than my dead server does. and as soon as the weather stop being hot as hell im gon go ride a bike
    Fellow cyclist here, please see rule #5

    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/comment-page-8/
    Sabbath - Sarlona

  10. #50
    Community Member TedSandyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stravix View Post
    Umm, did you not read what he wrote? I specifically stated that population has RISEN over the last two expansions. If that is true, then the game is clearly, by your own definition, not dying. If you want to make your point that a drop in pop is the same as dying, don't quote the person who is saying game pop is rising w/o at least addressing that claim.
    I would disagree with the term risen. Yeah, a few people came back to try out the new content, but they got bored and left again. Getting a few players to give it another go isn't really increasing the population. There just aren't masses of new people coming to the game.

    The game is, without a doubt dying. The population is falling. And no amount of ignoring the fact is going to do anyone any good.

    But the population has been declining for years and the game isn't dead yet. The real question is how many players are enough to make it profitable for SSG.

    I have played this game for 10 years. I love the quests. I love the mechanics. I am very OK with the graphics. I love the TRs. I love reaper. Sure there have been things I didn't like changed over the years, but I got used to them and made my peace.

    If you care about this game and want to keep it going, you need to support it financially. Regardless of if you like the inquisitive or hate the self-heal nerf, or some other thing in the game. If, overall you like this game, support it. The populations IS low, and getting lower.

    THE GAME IS DYING. The only factors affecting when they close up shop is how many people there are left and how much each of those pay.

    We cant do anything about population at this point. All mmos are declining. SSG might be able to slow the decline, but changes that make one person happy makes another quit.

    So, vote with your wallets if you want to put off the end.

    And no, I'm not an SSG plant. I'm just someone who has played this game for a few years and has had a lot of enjoyment and hates to see it die.

  11. #51
    Community Member shores11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjond View Post
    I think you failed right there. I seriously doubt DDO is leading anything at all. Even if you ignore population and simply focus on features, DDO looses out in every single category except for two: it's D&D (more or less) and potential build complexity.
    So in your second sentence you defeated the comment you made in your first sentence. Not a good start fellow adventurer.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

  12. #52
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    Fellow cyclist here, please see rule #5

    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/comment-page-8/
    wow that is badass man, so hardcore and manly.
    Last edited by concavenator; 10-24-2019 at 02:49 PM.

  13. #53
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpardaX View Post
    I don't go out of my way to comment on the forums that the game is dying, but... so that's my answer for your question.
    Thanks. That's all I was asking for.

    And I agree with you that we need to merge servers already.

  14. #54
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    Thanks. That's all I was asking for.

    And I agree with you that we need to merge servers already.
    but thats not at all what u asked for, do u even know what u asked for?

    u asked "WHY do some people feel the need to constantly...." he said he does NOT feel the need to constant...right off the back. but u did not ask if he does or does not feel, u asked for WHY. since he does not have the constant need its impossble for him to answer WHY he have the constant need.

    so ur question was not answered at all because of ur poorly phrased loaded question that u quoted over and over.
    Last edited by concavenator; 10-24-2019 at 04:10 PM.

  15. #55
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stravix View Post
    Umm, did you not read what he wrote? I specifically stated that population has RISEN over the last two expansions. If that is true, then the game is clearly, by your own definition, not dying. If you want to make your point that a drop in pop is the same as dying, don't quote the person who is saying game pop is rising w/o at least addressing that claim.
    Got a source on that? Because that doesn't match what we're seeing in-game.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  16. #56
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Schrödinger's ddo

  17. #57
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    That's the only thing that makes sense.

    If I thought the game was dying, I would go find another game to play. Not haunt the forums and whine 3 pages about "loaded" questions.

    Tonite I threw up an LFM for VON flagging and had a group up and running in 10 mins. Shrug?
    If I thought a game I loved was dying, I'd post things encouraging the developers to make changes that I thought could help the game survive longer and possibly even start to grow again.

    But hey, that's just me.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  18. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    I'm just someone who has played this game for a few years and has had a lot of enjoyment and hates to see it die.
    Guildies and DDO forumites have told me this privately since 2009!

    There are a lot of people still here that consider the yearly expansion cost their chance to DONATE to keep this game alive for the very reason you mention above Ted! Not just for them, but to keep this enjoyment alive for many of us that still find love of community and game here.

    That's NOTHING to be ashamed of. There is a family vibe here that is stronger than most other games and if there wasn't...


    ..this game would have been DEAD a decade ago.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 10-25-2019 at 12:36 AM.

    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


  19. #59
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    If I thought a game I loved was dying, I'd post things encouraging the developers to make changes that I thought could help the game.
    And that would NOT include haunting the forums with "DDO is dying" rants for the last 3 months, right?

    Because that would be not only be counter-productive, but kind of silly to continue with the same nonsense week after week, expecting a different result.
    Last edited by Fenrisulven7; 10-24-2019 at 11:57 PM.

  20. #60
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by concavenator View Post
    but thats not at all what u asked for, do u even know what u asked for?

    u asked "WHY do some people feel the need to constantly...." he said he does NOT feel the need to constant...right off the back. but u did not ask if he does or does not feel, u asked for WHY. since he does not have the constant need its impossble for him to answer WHY he have the constant need.

    so ur question was not answered at all because of ur poorly phrased loaded question that u quoted over and over.
    Right, it never occured to you to respond just as he did: in good faith.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload