Community Member

Default transmuter possible?

so ive always wondered if a transmutation focused wizard is possible. mainly casting disintegrate and flesh to stone, and mass frog in epic. thought going archmage and throwing some force spells during cds. question is does anyone else think its possible? im not talking r10 or anything. but reaching cap solo doing r1. any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by revanist25 View Post
    question is does anyone else think its possible? im not talking r10 or anything. but reaching cap solo doing r1. any thoughts?
    A thought: It's pretty easy to level in the current game, even gimped builds like the one you propose.

A following thought: The problem is that there are so few Transmutation combat spells. If he's going to focus feats, enhancements and gear on that school, then 1) his spell rotation in his focused school is going to be very limited, and 2) he's not going to have much juice in any others, in the "classic" blast'em spells.

So, yeah, it's doable - at least in theory, and probably (with dedicated commitment) in practice. So's a 6 charisma Horc casting bard, or a 6 Str/8 Con Halfling Sword & Board barbarian. Hell, we have a character who made 20 without leaving Korthos, 95% on XP gems, so if he can do it, anything can get there.

More power to ya if you can make that slog.

Community Member

Tentatively expecting Transmutation to get some love, most likely tied to the new Alchemist class. Somewhere in the mess of 100 abilities or so there must be some Transmutation stuff right :P

Otherwise it's currently possible at endgame potentially but worse than other options, and levelling I can't imagine would be fun. (But then I've probably levelled worse)

Community Member

There are some real holes in the spell schools like Illusion and Transmutation. Disintegrate really ought to be one of our most powerful single-target nukes. We should also have Polymorph Other (if you can frog mobs, you can turn them into something... like sheep or something... heh), Mass polymorph, or even a polymorph self option (BOOM IM A REASONABLY SIZED DRAGON, YO!). It would also be cool to be able to do something like Transmute Rock to mud (a similar CC spell, in function, to Evard's), Stone Shape (create a field of damaging/slowing spikes in an area), or spells that buff your melee ability.

It would be pretty cool. Right now though? Meh.

Illusion could totally use some love, as well. Mass PK (Weird, 9th level spell), Illusionary CC with Mass illusion, etc.

The biggest issue with specializations in Schools such as Transmutation is the limited spell options per level.

I would say, I would love to see this as an option, but at this time there is not enough in the early levels.

But if they do add more spells (something I hope they do to balance out the schools) then yes I could see it as a fun option.

Pair it up with a second CC school, like enchanter, and then use non-spell based damage such as Inquisitive crossbow use. With buffs and using transmuter/enchanter as CC, it's a decent build.