Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Pure vs Multiclass

Right now there's a bit of a dichotomy in build philosophies....pure classes are, generally speaking, underpowered with respect to multiclass, or at least 18/2. The game rewards you for specialization in upper tier content, and somewhat paradoxically, you can usually specialize better by splashing a different class that complements your main playstyle. The exception being caster classes, where the caster level mechanic makes it ineffective to try and mix-and-match different classes.

The problem is that the only thing pure classes really get over, say, an 18/2 is one capstone. Which, while they're powerful, cant be TOO powerful, but yet still have to justify taking them over a /2 splash in something else very useful. I'd be hesitant to try and simply tune up the raw power of capstones, because you dont want to overtune and create the counterpart situation, where splashes are dead because losing a capstone is far too much to give up.

So I just had a random thought and thought I'd put it out for consideration...since multiclass usually has more utility than pure classes (things like splashing Rogue for traps, etc.) and is more solo-friendly, while pure builds tend to be more channelized and dependent on other people to fill basic roles their class lacks...

What if capstones were redesigned to give your other party members benefits?

In addition to their current bonuses to you. So a pure class by itself wouldn't be universally more powerful, but in a group they could synergize together better than with multiclass builds, where group play is often better described as "parallel soloing". Both approaches would still be viable - a group of min-maxed multiclass builds playing munchkin soloist style, or a group of pure classes playing more "traditional D&D party" style.

I was thinking, for example: EK capstone gives all your party a percentage of your Spellsword effect. PM might let them benefit 50% from your Negative heals, or maybe it'd be an auto-rez buff like Death Pact. A 20 Kensei might give everyone +1 crit range (strong, yes, because how many 20 fighters do you see?). A 20 Frenzied Berserker might give everyone a percentage of their Rage. A 20 Fire Savant might be able to buff one party member with fire damage-on-hit and fire SP, like the Druid and FvS buffs. A 20 Rad Serv might give +20% Positive Vuln to the party (not Heal Amp, but the Racial channel that's multiplicative). Stuff like that - a meaningful buff to something thematically central to its tree.
    Last edited by droid327; 10-17-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Community Member

I think they should just disable multiclassing period. It would allow classes and enhancement trees to have powerful defining abilities before level 12 and in tiers 1-4 and cores 1-3 without fear of broken multiclass combos.

Character development will be richer and flow better, and SSG always ends up disabling or nerfing all the multiclassed builds anyways to the detriment of the pure classes.

Now that there are melee and ranged universal enhancement trees to add flavor to classes, and all classes have been revamped, there is no need to continue to allow players to multiclass. It just holds hostage the character development of the majority of the player base playing pure builds.

For example, rogue acrobat could be good in heroics if multiclassing was disabled because you could move the capstone ability to attack two targets after tumbling to level 6 in Core 3. Instead, because that would lead to a broken multiclasssed self-healing monk tier 5/rogue core 3 build, it is forced to be placed in the capstone out of reach of the monk splashes. This leads to acrobat not tumbling around and feeling like an acrobat for 20 levels, and no one playing it and instead leveling in heroics on most likely a warlock, or a monk/rogue multi-classed build if they level a stick build at all.

Another example, bard, can't get freezing DCs in harder content without pdk fighter multiclassing or fvs diving presence splash. But since those splashes exist, you can't give bard those DCs, or it would have too much DC too easy with those splashes.

Another example, druid, which has its base level 2 wolf animal form nerfed from 30 to 10% attack speed due to multiclassing, which was nerfed into the ground and no one uses anymore.

Another example, helpless damage nerf down to level 1 and in heroics nerfing vangaurds, shintaos, barb, fvs, bard, and cleric because ... ok, well, I might have contributed to this one ... my bad.

Another example, pure 20 ranger bow damage gutted, because of the 12/6/2 monkcher split, which was nerfed into the ground and no one uses anymore.

Another example, henshin monks gutted, due to how common the melee power splash was, which was nerfed into the ground and no one splashes henshin for melee power anymore.

Another example, dps fighters and paladins no longer being able to use defensive stance in groups with tanks or they end up pulling aggro off the tank and the resulting loss of prr/mrr/hp, because SSG added threat to the stances themselves instead of enhancements buffing the stances to stop players from splashing them for defense. Only a few super tanks splash fighter/paladin anymore due to threat increase on stances, but no one really splashes for defensive stance anymore.

Another example, cleric and favored soul ameliorating strike getting nerfed, because of the possibility of a tempest split proccing it too many times. No one splashed cleric or favored soul for amerliorating strike anyways, even when they could multiproc it, but now they for sure never will.

Another example, pure tanks complaining they can't function because the game is balanced around the multiclassed 15/4/1 supertanks.

Another example, simple melee like a 20 barb can't survive and function properly when the 15/4/1 supertanks and evasion/runearm splashed ranged that then get CC in Shiradi (instead of needing to be in Shadowdancer for evasion) ramp the difficulty up.

This list just goes on and on of pure classes and builds the majority of players use nerfed and not having proper character development because of multiclassing of a minority of players who just move on to the next build. They don't even see the nerfs left in their wake. They are on to the next build before the patch hits live. And the nerfs never balance the splash, they always disable it so no ones does it anymore annoying the player base. Might as well just disable multiclassing instead.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 10-27-2019 at 02:07 AM.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    I think they should just disable multiclassing period. It would allow classes and enhancement trees to have powerful defining abilities before level 12 and in tiers 1-4 and cores 1-3 without fear of broken multiclass combos.
    "Oh, I don't care about being class X or the class abilities of class X, I just splash 5 levels to take advantage of the Tier 5 enhancements."

The problem is the "new" enhancement system, allowing top-tier abilities with minimal investment in the class. Imagine if instead of 1/2/3/4/5, you needed 1/3/6/9/12 levels in the class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Imagine if instead of 1/2/3/4/5, you needed 1/3/6/9/12 levels in the class.
    That would be cruel, since a lot of those numbers add up to 21 12/9...12/6/3...effective splits would be juuuuust out of reach

One would imagine 12/8/6/2/1 would be a little more in line with the math of build splitting. You could do a 12/8 or an 8/8/6 or a 12/6/2 and it would line up a lot better.

Of course, such a change would make Universal trees GREATLY more powerful since they run off Char Level, not Class Level, so any split could still access the T5s. You'd basically be nerfing every mc build but Inqui, soooo that'd make you a popular guy amongst a lot of people on the forums

Another example, helpless damage nerf down to level 1 and in heroics nerfing vangaurds, shintaos, barb, fvs, bard, and cleric because ... ok, well, I might have contributed to this one ... my bad.
    I was scared when i saw you talking about removing multiclass, after reading that part i think you ate just evil lol

I'm one of those weirdos who got the triple heroic completionist playing pure classes, 1 capstone each time (not always, did 6 classes before the enhancement pass) and it's like playing another game, by far

And if ppl think it's not ok to remove multiclassing... They could tie certain skills/enhancements adding another existing requisite, like fvs wis/cha to hit

So for example if you want evasion, you need at least 2 rogue/monk lvls AND rogue/monk lvls must be at least half your total heroic lvls (or whatever number), ranger excluded, enough lvls required for evasion xD

So you can always have the trapping skills, or have evasion at low lvls, but if you wanna keep it... Invest more lvls

Same with t5, you need at least half lvls on that class, etc so you can use em right at certain lvl or lvls, but once you lvl up your build must evolve to another t5 or will need more lvls to fuel it

Another option (bad idea btw lol) would be allowing to have 2 capstones after the universal enhancement +2 tome

That could be scary too, in which case the universal enhancements should need a rework to be more fitting to at least 1 archetype (harper is just bad, however it has the cheapest trance enhancement xD)
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Character development will be richer and flow better, and SSG always ends up disabling or nerfing all the multiclassed builds anyways to the detriment of the pure classes.

Now that there are melee and ranged universal enhancement trees to add flavor to classes, and all classes have been revamped, there is no need to continue to allow players to multiclass. It just holds hostage the character development of the majority of the player base playing pure builds.

For example, rogue acrobat could be good in heroics if multiclassing was disabled because you could move the capstone ability to attack two targets after tumbling to level 6 in Core 3. Instead, because that would lead to a broken multiclasssed self-healing monk tier 5/rogue core 3 build, it is forced to be placed in the capstone out of reach of the monk splashes. This leads to acrobat not tumbling around and feeling like an acrobat for 20 levels, and no one playing it and instead leveling in heroics on most likely a warlock, or a monk/rogue multi-classed build if they level a stick build at all.

Another example, bard, can't get freezing DCs in harder content without pdk fighter multiclassing or fvs diving presence splash. But since those splashes exist, you can't give bard those DCs, or it would have too much DC too easy with those splashes.

Another example, druid, which has its base level 2 wolf animal form nerfed from 30 to 10% attack speed due to multiclassing.

Another example, pure 20 ranger bow damage, because of the 12/6/2 monkcher split.

Another example, henshin monks, due to how common the melee power splash was.

This list just goes on and on of pure classes and builds the majority of players use nerfed and not having proper character development because of multiclassing of a minority of players.

Plus disabling multiclassing doesn't introduce more power creep into the game.
    If you genuinely believe that multiclassing should be removed from DDO then I politely suggest that you would be better of playing some other game as it is integrally a core feature of D&D. Perhaps something like WoW with pure classes with just a handful of abilities if you decide you want to go from Fire/Frost/Arcane mage? If you want to talk about balancing certain abilities within the game then that is potentially a different matter as long as you accept that no builds will ever be 100% the same on everything.

Just going to put this out there - The "spirit of the game" comes from Dungeons and Dragons and even way back to when only humans had classes and a "race" was its class, the multi-class existed.

That being said I'm not an advocate for removing multi-class.

Now multi-class actually has multiple approaches which is what makes "balance" difficult

1. Specialization - Due to "low hanging fruit", or low investment requirements combinations of classes can enhance a single aspect of a character making it a "power house" in that area
    2. Diversity - Again due to "low hanging fruit", or low investment requirements combinations of classes can give a single build several options that they can be really good at, and synergize that diversity to make a powerful character.

The problem has been that while in PnP you can customize the encounters to challenge either of these directions and because you can add in more requirements then a single character could wrap up in a single package, that part didn't translate well.

Now some thoughts on helping generate some balance.

Limit APs spent in a tree based on level criteria

One thing that makes universal tree powerful is that a multi-class can grab the Capstone. Maybe consider adjusting those levels similar to the AA tree for elf.

I think they should just disable multiclassing period.
    I'd stop playing DDO and play something else if they did that. While the something else is sure to NOT have multi-classing, it IS sure to have nice graphics, great anims, few bugs (and quickly fixed if found), and a MUCH larger player-base to ensure I'm always in a group. I honestly think the only reason I'm still playing DDO is to try out the weird builds I've come up with.

Considering all the crazy build optimizations you've done, are you really sure you'd stick around for "Hardcore Season II, Pure Madness"?

Another example, druid, which has its base level 2 wolf animal form nerfed from 30 to 10% attack speed due to multiclassing.

Another example, pure 20 ranger bow damage, because of the 12/6/2 monkcher split.

Another example, henshin monks, due to how common the melee power splash was.

This list just goes on and on of pure classes and builds the majority of players use nerfed and not having proper character development because of multiclassing of a minority of players.

Plus disabling multiclassing doesn't introduce more power creep into the game.
    Not to be Rude but Everyone has the right to play how they want Multi Class has been in PnP for as long as I can remember.. Maybe like others have pointed out DDO isn't for you.. I have just came back and have enjoyed making some new toons multi classed..
    Have fun no matter how you like playing..

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    That would be cruel, since a lot of those numbers add up to 21 12/9...12/6/3...effective splits would be juuuuust out of reach
    Since the point of such a change would be to require you to actually care about and commit to multi-classing into a class to get it's advantages...that's kind of the point. You can't (or shouldn't be able to) specialize in everything.

Of course, such a change would make Universal trees GREATLY more powerful since they run off Char Level, not Class Level, so any split could still access the T5s.
    Under such a change, I'd expect the Universal trees to also require the same number of levels in a single class, just with flexibility about which class.
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member

Some classes do have very useful capstones though. Caster ones generally, and especially sorcs.

I also think removing multi-classing would be impossible and a mistake at this point in the game. It's better that they are quick in nerfing OP MC outliers. The problem so far has been that they often take a long time to react, so it ends up impacting a lot of people. When they do, they also rarely allocate time to revisit how their changes actually played out. Good example being Henshin abiltiies, which are now by very weak even in heroics. They took away the melee power that was supposed to power them when they were explicitly redesigned to use that.

Also look at why people splash. The most common splash is still probably /2 for evasion, and the reason for this is that even low-level traps on popular difficulties are basically random and near-instant death without a bunch of PL/RPs. This does not fit well with modern DDO, where you cannot assume there is a trapper in the party. I think it's time that they either make all traps have a distinctive tell before they trigger (permanently visible, creaking floor sounds, or even "red circles"), or just reduce the damage. Nobody likes to start over because they died in a trap there was no way of foreseeing besides memorizing the quest in advance. The same applies to certain low-level champion spells. When like 80% of the deaths on hardcore are from traps and champion lightningbolt/niacs, there is a balance problem.
    Last edited by LurkingVeteran; 10-18-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Community Member

Since the point of such a change would be to require you to actually care about and commit to multi-classing into a class to get it's advantages...that's kind of the point. You can't (or shouldn't be able to) specialize in everything.
    thats what I'm saying though...basing it off multiples of 3 doesnt just require you to commit - it makes it impossible, because you dont have enough levels to commit to a multiclass even if you wanted to.

It would be impossible, for example, to get a T5 in one class and a T4 in another, and that's about the most basic multiclass approach there is. I think a 12/8 is pretty well committed to your split. You wouldn't just be channelizing multiclass builds - you'd be eliminating them.

Also consider how much you'd be backloading AP. If you were L12 and you had an 8/4 split, then you'd only have access to T3 enhancements in your main class and T2 in your off class. You wouldnt have enough worthwhile options to spend all 48 of your AP, so it'd be a significant nerf for leveling in Heroic.

Heck, if you were L8 as a *pure* class, you'd still only have access to T3 enhancements. And you'd be hard pressed to spend 32 AP well, with only your 3 class trees up to T3. So it'd be a nerf to pretty much all of Heroic leveling...

I think they should just disable multiclassing period.
    Most of my characters are pure... and I still think this is a poor, DM-dictator idea. It goes against the spirit of DnD and IMHO it would upset a large portion of the remaining players and be the final death knell of DDO.

So, no thank you.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

2014 DDO Players Council

thats what I'm saying though...basing it off multiples of 3 doesnt just require you to commit - it makes it impossible, because you dont have enough levels to commit to a multiclass even if you wanted to.

It would be impossible, for example, to get a T5 in one class and a T4 in another, and that's about the most basic multiclass approach there is. I think a 12/8 is pretty well committed to your split. You wouldn't just be channelizing multiclass builds - you'd be eliminating them.
    If your only experience with multi-classing is post-Enhancement-crash DDO, I understand why you might have that wildly mistaken impression, but multi-classing was alive and well in DDO for years before we have had the current system of 5-tier trees, and years again before that in pen-and-paper D&D.

Try paying more attention to actual class abilities, and worrying less about enhancements.

EDIT: I now see you have a 2006 join date. How can you possibly explain this total lack of awareness about multi-classing? I guess you could have signed up in 2006, but not actually played until late-2013+...
    Last edited by SirValentine; 10-18-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Community Member

Banning MC is a full on troll idea.

Right now there's a bit of a dichotomy.

There was time 5 years ago (?) that pure classes were viable.

THEN....................................

More Power creep. Low hanging fruit. Warlocks released june 2015 totally OP for the game. EK, dual xbows etc...

SSG's staff quote from Steelstar; "we like our multi-classes" mainly share this concept. It's obvious. Look at all the low hanging fruit.

OK, Casters in most classes are in a good spot.

SSG has for quite some time have ignored redefining capstones as they develop the game.

My PnP group AND I find the way they don't do a little bit here and there with every update laughable.

Concentrating on one maybe 2 paths per update is just bad development management.

Sure they can justify this mindset, but thats only when someone calls them out.

They purposely make one or classes per year OP to make sales.

I am of the mindset that spreading out upgrades and updates to classes and paths a little bit here and there with every update release will help bring some kind of semblance to balance.

Look, this game is so out of kilter, with class power and abilities VS content difficulty/ scaling and bloated monster #'s that striking any kind of balance will never happen.

It's their choice, they made their bed, they can lay in it.

Drive more and more customers away with every update. That's what's been happening. They won't admit it.

This games development and progression looks EXACTLY what happened to D&D. It's a good thing WotC took hold of the horns and came out with 5e. Otherwise it was a dead game. No one was buying material. It saved the game but it got broken getting there from over designing.

THAT'S what is happening here.

So Droid, this thread has no good feedback. Not with this game in it's current no direction heading.
    Last edited by Lagin; 10-18-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GramercyRiff View Post
    Banning MC is a full on troll idea.
    +1, dumb idea.

Default Haters will Hate..

I have little exp with multi classes but since coming back after being gone 5 years.. I'm dabbling with multi classes and before I stopped playing my running buddy played many multi classed toons... But since it has been part of the PnP for many years it should stay in the game...

Community Member

If your only experience with multi-classing is post-Enhancement-crash DDO, I understand why you might have that wildly mistaken impression, but multi-classing was alive and well in DDO for years before we have had the current system of 5-tier trees, and years again before that in pen-and-paper D&D.

Try paying more attention to actual class abilities, and worrying less about enhancements.

EDIT: I now see you have a 2006 join date. How can you possibly explain this total lack of awareness about multi-classing? I guess you could have signed up in 2006, but not actually played until late-2013+...
    Are you suggesting that we get rid of the enhancement tree system entirely and go back to the old old PrEs?

Because if not then you can't compare builds then to builds now. The game is what it is today.
    Enhancements are the bulk of what defines your playstyle. Trying to build a char around the idea that you don't need enhancements because you didn't have them 12 years ago is a surefire way to build a totally gimped char.

2014 DDO Players Council

Are you suggesting that we get rid of the enhancement tree system entirely and go back to the old old PrEs?
    That wasn't the specific idea I suggested, no. But yours is an interesting one, too.

The game is what it is today.
    Were talking about ideas for changing it. Everything is what it is right now; that doesn't say anything useful. It could be different than it is right now.

Because if not then you can't compare builds then to builds now.
    I didn't, but sure I could.

Enhancements are the bulk of what defines your playstyle.
    No, it's not. Your claim is false. Sorry, you don't get to define what defines my play-style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast