Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    What about proton? Isn't that open source too. as stated steam and proton runs DDO pretty smoothly... Not sure what HS or Mojave is...
    HS is High Sierra, and HS and Mojave are both code names for macOS version releases.

As far as proton, I have to do more research but proton isn't even easily available in steam for macOS the way it is on linux. So looking at wine is going to be the best bet.

Community Member

The sad truth is if you're committed to playing games on the mac invest in bootcamp, vm's are only a bandage, not a fix, we shouldn't have too, but in all reality we do.

I can also assure you it is not macOS or the hardware that holds back most Macs from gaming its the lack of commitment by game developers, just look at the latest action RPG 3d games available on your phone or ipad and you will see what they can do with even the most modest hardware. The difference is if you're making a mobile game you put apple products front and centre you can't afford not to.

In 2018 reports indicate Apple accounts for 7.1% of home computers worldwide, and 12.7% in the US that's a lot of people your potentially excluding.

If you really want to make SSG listen, stop paying for them to not support mac whilst claiming to do so, and come back when they do. If Microsoft told them 2.5 years ago it was going 64bit only it would be a top priority. 64bit is not new or a gimmick its better computing and improves all platforms.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fyreworks View Post
    The sad truth is if you're committed to playing games on the mac invest in bootcamp, vm's are only a bandage, not a fix, we shouldn't have too, but in all reality we do.

I can also assure you it is not macOS or the hardware that holds back most Macs from gaming its the lack of commitment by game developers, just look at the latest action RPG 3d games available on your phone or ipad and you will see what they can do with even the most modest hardware. The difference is if you're making a mobile game you put apple products front and centre you can't afford not to.

In 2018 reports indicate Apple accounts for 7.1% of home computers worldwide, and 12.7% in the US that's a lot of people your potentially excluding.

If you really want to make SSG listen, stop paying for them to not support mac whilst claiming to do so, and come back when they do. If Microsoft told them 2.5 years ago it was going 64bit only it would be a top priority. 64bit is not new or a gimmick its better computing and improves all platforms.
    I disagree with you about VM's but that's a minor disagreement. If you have a system with at least 8gb of ram and can put the VM on a SSD there is no reason not to use a VM. Yeah for the newest triple A title you'll have issues but for an older game like DDO there really isn't an issue.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    If WINE is able to run on Catalina in the future we will be very interested in looking into it. We also do have an intention to release a 64 bit client for DDO, and when the time comes for that, we'll share more information.
    CodeWeavers (which sells a GUI front-end to WINE) has some discussion on the issues facing WINE on Catalina and have announced an alpha within a month. The interest in WINE on Mac is pretty high and you can hear the hoofbeats of the cavalry already. (No, I'm not suggesting DDO players buy a CodeWeavers product, I'm explaining they're working on the open-source code so they can keep selling their commercial front end and there's every reason to believe WINE will benefit upstream in the same way open source projects typically benefit when commercial users contribute to make their own lives easier. CodeWeavers doesn't want to end up supporting a private fork.)

Is there any intention, now or in a future 64-bit client, to move to a platform-independent graphics API? I've heard good things about Vulkan (which, due to Valve's effort to open-source MoltenVK last year, runs happily atop Apple's Metal), and I understand Steam delivers other games to multiple platforms using this API. Anything you can share from a technical standpoint about the roadmap, and the tools expected to support it?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sea_dragons View Post
    CodeWeavers (which sells a GUI front-end to WINE) has some discussion on the issues facing WINE on Catalina and have announced an alpha within a month. The interest in WINE on Mac is pretty high and you can hear the hoofbeats of the cavalry already. (No, I'm not suggesting DDO players buy a CodeWeavers product, I'm explaining they're working on the open-source code so they can keep selling their commercial front end and there's every reason to believe WINE will benefit upstream in the same way open source projects typically benefit when commercial users contribute to make their own lives easier. CodeWeavers doesn't want to end up supporting a private fork.)

Is there any intention, now or in a future 64-bit client, to move to a platform-independent graphics API? I've heard good things about Vulkan (which, due to Valve's effort to open-source MoltenVK last year, runs happily atop Apple's Metal), and I understand Steam delivers other games to multiple platforms using this API. Anything you can share from a technical standpoint about the roadmap, and the tools expected to support it?
    So I'm not sure what SSG uses for an engine for DDO and LOTRO. My guess is that they both are using some custom engine written for DirectX and that the old macOS clients used a third party wrapper to convert DirectX to OpenGL.

That said. If they are using a custom engine, that would be an enormous undertaking to move to another low level api like Vulkan. As much as I'd like to see it happen, I doubt it will.

Community Member

Default Not looking good for MacOS players : (

From patch notes…

https://www.ddo.com/en/update-43-patch-1-release-notes

The native MacOS client for DDO has been deprecated and replaced with a WINE-based client solution for MacOS.

Players attempting to launch the game from the deprecated launcher should now receive messaging to direct them to the new client.

NOTES:
    The WINE client is not compatible with the newly-released MacOS Catalina.
    Players who wish to play natively on a Mac (as opposed to using a Windows-based solution) should NOT update to Catalina.
    The deprecated MacOS client erroneously references LOTRO instead of DDO in its messaging, although all links remain valid.

MacOS: New Client Available and FAQ
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ilable-and-FAQ

Community Member

Default Rip :C

Well, i never post or complain about all the issues that Mac have because the game was still playable pretty decently. But now that we are going to be forced to use a Wine based client, i guess a some of the Mac players are actually going to just quit this time.

I didn't like the idea from start, but hey, i get that resources are limited so i gave it a chance and try to test performance on both native and wine, and i have bad news (at least in my case). My mac runs normally on native, besides the screen issue when parts of the maps vanish), but extremely overheats while using the wine based one (even just standing alone in the airship) to the point im afraid will start burning, so i don't even bothered risking it by testing in actual quests. That never happened to me with native client, and im not really interested in to change my machine, so i guess rip DDO. I don't know if is an issue just in my case, if can be somehow fixed, if people found a configuration solution or if is just rip.

No idea what i will do. Doesn't look good for me either, but im glad i didn't got the season pass.

Community Member

I am so far with my guide that I think it should be possible to follow and get DDO up and running. I must stress that this is a multiple workaround where you first get a mac to run linux and then uses a wine branch to run a windows game on linux.

But as i said. It should work.

If you try the guide please let me know how it went.

http://mmlddo.com/DDOonMac.html

Best regards
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cofrathzel View Post
    Well, I never post or complain about all the issues that Mac have because the game was still playable pretty decently. But now that we are going to be forced to use a Wine based client, I guess some of the Mac players are actually going to just quit this time.

I didn't like the idea from start, but hey, I get that resources are limited so I gave it a chance and try to test performance on both native and wine, and I have bad news (at least in my case). My mac runs normally on native, besides the screen issue when parts of the maps vanish), but extremely overheats while using the wine based one (even just standing alone in the airship) to the point I'm afraid will start burning, so I don't even bother risking it by testing in actual quests. That never happened to me with a native client, and I'm not really interested in to change my machine, so I guess rip DDO. I don't know if it is an issue just in my case it can be somehow fixed, if people found a configuration solution or if is just rip.

No idea what i will do. Doesn't look good for me either, but im glad i didn't got the season pass.
    Well, I've played the Mac Wine version since release and the Wineversion has no bugs, no relogs after blank walls bugs and finally, can change gamma again! Sincerily, if you can, use Wine and don't upgrade to Catalina*

*I'm a Mac user since 1995. The iMac with I run DDO is my 4th computer (running Sierra) and normally I don't upgrade to the latest OS version, more drawbacks than advantages, specially when is just released : )

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    I am so far with my guide that I think it should be possible to follow and get DDO up and running. I must stress that this is a multiple workaround where you first get a mac to run linux and then uses a wine branch to run a windows game on linux.

But as i said. It should work.

If you try the guide please let me know how it went.

http://mmlddo.com/DDOonMac.html

Best regards
    So, IIRC you said you don't have a Mac to test on. While I did not use Linux Mint, or Virtual Box. I did confirm yesterday that I could run DDO with a Windows 10 VM with Parallels 15. (Already had the VM made for VS2019 usage). So, the base concept definitely works. Running DDO through a VM is definitely still possible on Catalina.

Quote Originally Posted by PpalP View Post
    Well, I've played the Mac Wine version since release and the Wineversion has no bugs, no relogs after blank walls bugs and finally, can change gamma again! Sincerily, if you can, use Wine and don't upgrade to Catalina*

*I'm a Mac user since 1995. The iMac with I run DDO is my 4th computer (running Sierra) and normally I don't upgrade to the latest OS version, more drawbacks than advantages, specially when is just released : )
    Some of us don't get that choice unfortunately. I have to keep my Mac up to date for access to things like SwiftUI and the ability to push to the most recent versions of iOS. *Granted those of us in that position can usually use a work around like an old OS partition or VM without issue. The don't update advice is just bad for multiple reasons. You don't need to update immediately but not updating before the old OS goes out of support means that you've opened yourself up to multiple security problems.
    Last edited by jkalten; 10-09-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Hi Cordovan. Your latest update today now forces me as a Mac user to download a new client - unfortunately, this new client cannot be installed on my still Mojave (10.14.6) MacBook Pro. The error message is as follows:

"ddolive.dmg" cannot be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software
    This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

Please let us know when you will be resolving this, and your software's incompatibility with MacOS Catalina with the highest priority. Advice such as 'Get a new computer', 'Don't keep your computer up to date' or 'Install some other software as a workaround' is not good enough and is ultimately bad for your business.
    Ghallanda | Dirty Monkey

Once of Keeper EU

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blistering View Post
    Hi Cordovan. Your latest update today now forces me as a Mac user to download a new client - unfortunately, this new client cannot be installed on my still Mojave (10.14.6) MacBook Pro. The error message is as follows:

"ddolive.dmg" cannot be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software

Please let us know when you will be resolving this, and your software's incompatibility with MacOS Catalina with the highest priority. Advice such as 'Get a new computer', 'Don't keep your computer up to date' or 'Install some other software as a workaround' is not good enough and is ultimately bad for your business.
    Just right-click / ctrl-click the app in the Finder Window and click open. The software is not signed, so macOS views it as insecure and does not execute it without this extra step. After this first run, you should be able to launch DDO from the launchpad like normal.

Quote Originally Posted by jkalten View Post
    Just right-click / ctrl-click the app in the Finder Window and click open. The software is not signed, so macOS views it as insecure and does not execute it without this extra step. After this first run, you should be able to launch DDO from the launchpad like normal.
    Thank you sir, it's doing something now (not as far as working yet, still installing, but there's hope.

Still grumpy about all this though.
    Ghallanda | Dirty Monkey

Once of Keeper EU

Community Member

Thank you sir, it's doing something now (not as far as working yet, still installing, but there's hope.

Still grumpy about all this though.
    Same here. Very very grumpy.

Community Member

Default Dual Boot?

Has anyone tried doing a Dual Boot?

I'm thinking about creating a new Volume and installing Catalina in there, and keeping Mojave to game on. Is this doable?

These are the instructions I found that give me hope: https://macpaw.com/how-to/dual-boot-catalina-mojave

(That site was very helpful walking me through installing my SSD drive and upgrading my memory, despite every tutorial beginning with "Buy our Cleaning Software," which I have not. - They're otherwise solid, in my experience.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobNoxious View Post
    Has anyone tried doing a Dual Boot?

I'm thinking about creating a new Volume and installing Catalina in there, and keeping Mojave to game on. Is this doable?

These are the instructions I found that give me hope: https://macpaw.com/how-to/dual-boot-catalina-mojave

(That site was very helpful walking me through installing my SSD drive and upgrading my memory, despite every tutorial beginning with "Buy our Cleaning Software," which I have not. - They're otherwise solid, in my experience.)
    Honestly, it's pretty simple to do. Resize and reparation your drive to create a new volume for the old os. Boot os installer off of usb. Install os to new partition.

It will work.
    Last edited by jkalten; 10-10-2019 at 05:06 AM.

Community Member

Honestly, it's pretty simple to do. Resize and reparation your drive to create a new volume for the old os. Boot old os installer off of usb. Install os to new partition.

It will work.
    Why will I need a USB? I thought I could boot into the old OS by pressing Option when booting up or restarting, or by choosing it before powering down in System Preferences > Startup Disc? (according to that web page I linked, anyway.)

I just installed a 1TB SSD so, I should have PLENTY of space!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobNoxious View Post
    Why will I need a USB? I thought I could boot into the old OS by pressing Option when booting up or restarting, or by choosing it before powering down in System Preferences > Startup Disc? (according to that web page I linked, anyway.)

I just installed a 1TB SSD so, I should have PLENTY of space!
    I fixed a typo, I shouldn't have had the word old in there. Don't know why I typed it. The reason for putting the new installer to the usb is that you boot the machine off of a disk that is not being worked on. Its the standard for doing a clean install.

Community Member

That's the error I get too. I can't even install the Wine client. So now I can't play DDO anymore?

Extremely unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Myranna View Post
    That's the error I get too. I can't even install the Wine client. So now I can't play DDO anymore?

Extremely unhappy.
    Hope is not lost - the tip below got me past that error and eventually to a successful full re-install of DDO via this 'Wine' thing. Good luck - your DDO days shouldn't be over yet.

Ghallanda | Dirty Monkey

Once of Keeper EU

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast