Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Manager

Default MacOS Catalina Compatibility

With the release of Catalina for MacOS in the near future, Apple will no longer support 32-bit applications. This impacts the compatibility of our WINE-based client for MacOS. Players can continue to play DDO as long as they do not update to Catalina for MacOS. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes to our MacOS users.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

More proof that Macs are AWFUL for game-players.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

May be the wrong time and place but does this bode well for the possibility of a 64 bit client being developed in the future? I heard tell it was being worked on but havent heard tell of it in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by LTForge View Post
    May be the wrong time and place but does this bode well for the possibility of a 64 bit client being developed in the future? I heard tell it was being worked on but havent heard tell of it in a while.
    Officially, there's a LotRO 64-bit client being worked on but there's been no official word of a DDO 64-bit client.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for one in the near future. Maybe in a couple of years or so.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Hi Welcome

Community Member

*Sigh*..... Any recommendations on low to mid cost gaming systems for a guy who plays part time and isn't very computer savvy?........
    Thanking you in advance......

Quote Originally Posted by Fatbraid View Post
    *Sigh*..... Any recommendations on low to mid cost gaming systems for a guy who plays part time and isn't very computer savvy?........
    You might try using Parallels to run Windows on your Mac, then run the Windows version of DDO within Parallels.

I used Parallels for some Windows-only software a few years back and was impressed with the product, although I never tried it with DDO. It sure beat having to make space for a second computer.

Community Member

Post Search

Quote Originally Posted by Fatbraid View Post
    Tiger Direct has a good laptop system for about $600 or so.

Even better, dell has an all in one that can do DDO+ with a good effect. $400.

Though if you add a touch screen to it, it's an extra $75.

Though if really in a pinch go here: >> https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/320g <<

It's not the best for DDO, but it will play it for about $350.

And if going for cheap... Replace MACOSX here... >> https://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/30/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-30-1.2.iso <<

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LTForge View Post
    Sev was talking about it some back a year and a half ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    On the Mac side the client is already 64 bit; we *will* need to update the launcher and the patch DLLs though.

Sev~
    Ouch. Well, us Mac users know that gaming support is hit-or-miss. Might be time for a new hobby.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    With the release of Catalina for MacOS in the near future, Apple will no longer support 32-bit applications. This impacts the compatibility of our WINE-based client for MacOS. Players can continue to play DDO as long as they do not update to Catalina for MacOS. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes to our MacOS users.
    Very disappointing post. I guess it is to be expected considering how much effort DDO is willing to put into supporting Macs (very little).

From apple :

Which devices will support macOS Catalina?

MacBook: 2015 and later
    MacBook Pro: 2012 and later
    MacBook Air: 2012 and later
    Mac Mini: 2012 and later
    iMac: 2012 and later
    iMac Pro: 2017 and later
    Mac Pro: 2013 and later, with a Metal-capable GPU
    So anything produced in the last 7 years is potentially a non-customer. This is just going to secure DDO as a game of yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDoctor View Post
    This is just going to secure DDO as a game of yesterday.
    This is perhaps the funniest post I've ever read on the DDO Forums!

Just how many Mac players of DDO do you think there really are?

Hi Welcome

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    More proof that Macs are AWFUL *snip* .
    Fixed your typo so now I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    This is perhaps the funniest post I've ever read on the DDO Forums!

Just how many Mac players of DDO do you think there really are?
    I am betting 3% very active and 3% less so
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (4), Naerfelka (21)

I recently bought a higher end PC (still in the mail). This site is all about customization and then they build it for you.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com
    https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/forum/

For a reality check, this is the cheapest PC they offered using their EZPC tool:
    https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/...-MASTER-ET9907

The build below is $500 and they say it can do 50 FPS. The FPS and the 2GB video memory are a little low. The 2nd cheapest is $650 and it has 4GB video ram and 100 FPS (not the build shown below, though). You can get a very high-end build shipped for $2500 or less (e.g. Intel i9 9900K, 64 GB RAM, Dual Video Card/Crossfire SLI for 16 GB video ram total, 180 FPS at high res).

Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition) (Included)
    Message: GAMER MASTER ET9907 + FREE Shipping + Next Day Rush
    Gaming Chassis: CyberPowerPC Satin Black P350X Mid-Tower Gaming Case Tempered Glass & LED light Strip Retail (Included)
    Extra Case Fans: 2X Apevia Dual addressable digital RGB 120mm Fan 3Pins (Included)
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz [3.4GHz Turbo] Quad-Core 8MB L3 Cache 65W Processor (Included)
    CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: AMD Retail Fan (Included)
    Motherboard: ASROCK A320M-HDV AM4 MATX SATA3 M.2 USB 3.1 (Included)
    RAM / System Memory: 8GB ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4-2400MHZ MEMORY (Included)
    Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 560 2GB GDDR5 Video Card (Included)
    Power Supply: 500 Watts - Standard 500Watts 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply (Included)
    Primary Hard Drive: 256GB LEXAR NS100 2.5” SATA III 6GB/S SSD (Included)
    Keyboard: CyberPowerPC Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard (Included)
    Mouse: CyberPowerPC Elite M1 131 RGB 7-Color w/ 9 Button, adjustable Weight & lighting effects Gaming Mouse (Included)
    External Wireless Network Card: 802.11AC DUAL BAND WIRELESS USB ADAPTER (Included)
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition) (Included)
    Service: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

Community Member

Why the reversal? Severlin said a year and a half ago that a 64-bit solution was in the works. If it wasn't it would have been nice to known that before buying the Season Pass and Sharn.

Community Member

My guess is that Mac players aren't a large percentage, but we spend a lot more than Windows players do (on average). I know I tend to buy DDO points fairly often.
    I am fine with avoiding Catalina to continue to play DDO. I do have an outstanding bug report for the Wine group regarding Wine 4.x, I had been able to do quite well under a later version of 3.x, but 4.x just isn't working.
    Parallels is decent, but I have it configured for Development, not Gaming, I use it for work and can't just switch it.

Community Member

Default I plan to install Bootcamp and see how it goes

Well, I have both a high end PC and high end iMac 27. They both cost the same three years ago but the iMac ran at 5K, the PC only at 2560 x 1440 resolution and the Mac DDO client lasted almost two hours without the graphics glitch of turning anything beyond melee distance into solid colours (the PC was lucky to squeak past 90 minutes before needing a logoff to fix the graphics; would be nice if that ever gets fixed)

So I will try Bootcamp and let everyone know how it goes once Catalina goes live (since there is a new 64-bit Bootcamp being released at the same time). If it works well I will just have to pay for a Windows 10 full license. Otherwise I will have to go with the more expensive option of getting a 4k UHD 27" monitor. So I guess my DDO point budget will be blown either way for the rest of the year.

Mac user might not make up a large number of players (<5%), but from a revenue standpoint, I wonder if they represent a larger (6-10%)? I guess the cost of supporting two OS versions isn't enough compared to the loss of revenue from Mac users; it just would have been nice to know before the last minute of the 11th hour.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmeister View Post
    Well, I have both a high end PC and high end iMac 27. They both cost the same three years ago but the iMac ran at 5K, the PC only at 2560 x 1440 resolution and the Mac DDO client lasted almost two hours without the graphics glitch of turning anything beyond melee distance into solid colours (the PC was lucky to squeak past 90 minutes before needing a logoff to fix the graphics; would be nice if that ever gets fixed)

So I will try Bootcamp and let everyone know how it goes once Catalina goes live (since there is a new 64-bit Bootcamp being released at the same time). If it works well I will just have to pay for a Windows 10 full license. Otherwise I will have to go with the more expensive option of getting a 4k UHD 27" monitor. So I guess my DDO point budget will be blown either way for the rest of the year.

Mac user might not make up a large number of players (<5%), but from a revenue standpoint, I wonder if they represent a larger (6-10%)? I guess the cost of supporting two OS versions isn't enough compared to the loss of revenue from Mac users; it just would have been nice to know before the last minute of the 11th hour.
    Not quite sure why you're whining at DDO, this problem is initiated by Apple, SSG are just doing their best to respond...

Community Member

So, if the client will not work on Catalina, why you make us switch to a wine-based client? It appears a bit-nonsense, unless you plan to upgrade the wine client in future and you are simply suggesting us to stay with Mojave until you upgrade it.

Anyway in order handle the problem I'm making a partition with Mojave on my macs just to play DDO (which I play since the release on my macs, with bootcamp, crossover, wine, parallels etc), and will upgrade to Catalina in order to continue to work.

Anyway would be nice to have a word from you for us poor mac users.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kerranin View Post
    Not quite sure why you're whining at DDO, this problem is initiated by Apple, SSG are just doing their best to respond...
    They really aren't. Apple gave notice about this change about 2 and a half years ago. I'm a very junior dev. I'm just about to graduate with an associates not even a bachelors this December. I understand that they SSG have 3rd party libraries that need to be changed out for 64 bit, but I'm sorry, with access to the source code and two years time I'm pretty sure that I could have ported things to 64 bit. (Granted they could have done something crazy with the engine that I'm not aware of from not having looked at it.) But with 2 years of notice and the response being to just cancel Mac support, they are not doing their best.

Community Member

A couple of quick answers:

This is an updated version of the Wine client released earlier this year. It's a more polished experience with some significant updates done to it. Yes, you should reinstall the game client again.

Moving to a Wine client solution for MacOS allows us to better support the game for our MacOS users long term.

1. You do not need to install a separate Wine download. Everything that is needed is downloaded through the download link above.
    2. Let me know more about the conflicts you are experiencing, please.
    3. Yes, you should be able to maintain an updated MacOS and run this client long term.
    4. Hopefully your experience will be much better this time.
    So this is in total conflict to the information provided 2 weeks ago?
    -Fizhban - Allistraee - Llunarii - Gorbasch -

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast