Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Community Member

Default Me too

Quote Originally Posted by DANTEIL View Post
    Here's the thing: It makes me sad that I will no longer be able to play DDO. I had been led to believe that the latest WINE client update would do the trick (maybe SSG thought it would?) but apparently that's not the case. The one piece of advice I've been given is not to upgrade my Mac -- but that's not very realistic for me, I'm afraid. I have a Season Pass that I won't be able to use, and I'll miss out on things like Keep on the Borderlands. I'm a casual player but I've been a consistent player over the years. Yes, I'm feeling a bit let down and sorry for myself.
    My sentiments, exactly.

Community Member

Default Dual to Linux better?

Quote Originally Posted by jkalten View Post
    Honestly, it's pretty simple to do. Resize and reparation your drive to create a new volume for the old os. Boot os installer off of usb. Install os to new partition.

It will work.
    What would be more advisable? Doing this? Or dual booting into Linux?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    With the release of Catalina for MacOS in the near future, Apple will no longer support 32-bit applications. This impacts the compatibility of our WINE-based client for MacOS. Players can continue to play DDO as long as they do not update to Catalina for MacOS. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes to our MacOS users.
    Inconvenient? I have enjoyed playing this game on the iMac for a few years, but since I am not by any stretch deeply conversant on the lingo (WINE-based client? What the hell is that?) Looks like I'll have to cancel my account. bummer.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jhishma View Post
    What would be more advisable? Doing this? Or dual booting into Linux?
    I'm going to tell you what I did. I'm running a MBP 8,2 as a daily driver still as for the most part I just need Xcode, and it will still run Xcode 11 and Catalina like a champ.

I kept a High Sierra partition as it is the last OS Version that was directly supported. I play with the wine client from that partition or I launch Parallels sometimes and play the Windows client from inside a windows 10 Virtual Machine.

Most of the linux discussion here on the forums is from discussing using Virtual Box to create a Linux VM to play DDO with, because that would be a free solution that doesn't risk peoples data by repartitioning the hard drive if they aren't technically minded people.

In the real world, using a separate partition to run the OS instead of a VM will be more performant. However, you may not need all that performance for DDO. Which is why some are choosing to go with a VM.

For the second OS, it comes down to Linux or Windows 10. Linux support of gaming through valve's proton compatibility layer, is very very good. But SSG could break something that doesn't create a bug on Windows clients but does create a bug through proton on linux at any time. Running Windows 10 is going to introduce a cost because Windows licenses are not free. However, it's less likely that something will break.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambopoa View Post
    Inconvenient? I have enjoyed playing this game on the iMac for a few years, but since I am not by any stretch deeply conversant on the lingo (WINE-based client? What the hell is that?) Looks like I'll have to cancel my account. bummer.
    WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. It is a compatibility layer that allows users to run Windows programs on non-windows computers. Proton is another version of the same thing.

The Wine client then runs the windows version of DDO inside a container that allows it to run on macOS. However, wine does not work on macOS Catalina, so if you update to it you will have to access the game through other methods.

Community Member

My findings so far. Crossover with Wine 3 (a few versions back from current) runs DDO like a champ. Wine 4 seems to break it completely. Parallels runs DDO very well, IF you set the VM to be optimized for gaming.
    The Wine client couldn't even be installed when I downloaded it.
    Nothing will get Catalina to run the DDO client until Wine is updated and/or Parallels gets updated. I suspect Parallels will manage it first, Wine will take longer. Both are saying it'll be a month at least.

Community Member

Didn't notice this post until it was too late. I am a developer and Mac is the best platform for what I develop. I get a new one about every two years and keep it current. Until I upgraded to Catalina, I either developed or played DDO (two subscriptions, primaries / dual-box; DDO points all the time; lots of TRs / RRs / raids+gear). Been playing for over 10 years. This really sucks. Canceling everything and going to seek a new game (hopefully) that is compatible with Catalina.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myranna View Post
    My findings so far. Crossover with Wine 3 (a few versions back from current) runs DDO like a champ. Wine 4 seems to break it completely. Parallels runs DDO very well, IF you set the VM to be optimized for gaming.
    The Wine client couldn't even be installed when I downloaded it.
    Nothing will get Catalina to run the DDO client until Wine is updated and/or Parallels gets updated. I suspect Parallels will manage it first, Wine will take longer. Both are saying it'll be a month at least.
    I had to double check to make sure I wasn't crazy when I ready your post, but Parallels runs already. Took this SS as proof though I didn't try to actually game this way for reasons that should be clear if you look at the gpu of the system that I took the screen shots on.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EL...__r1NCsjz5OXBw

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OE...ETtevXOu7FuF2E

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto22 View Post
    Didn't notice this post until it was too late. I am a developer and Mac is the best platform for what I develop. I get a new one about every two years and keep it current. Until I upgraded to Catalina, I either developed or played DDO (two subscriptions, primaries / dual-box; DDO points all the time; lots of TRs / RRs / raids+gear). Been playing for over 10 years. This really sucks. Canceling everything and going to seek a new game (hopefully) that is compatible with Catalina.
    Mostly the same. I've got windows systems to keep playing on overall. I just like macOS better because I'm in Xcode so much.
    Last edited by jkalten; 10-16-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Community Member

Default Docker Environment

Quote Originally Posted by jkalten View Post
    I had to double check to make sure I wasn't crazy when I ready your post, but Parallels runs already. Took this SS as proof though I didn't try to actually game this way for reasons that should be clear if you look at the gpu of the system that I took the screen shots on.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EL...__r1NCsjz5OXBw

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OE...ETtevXOu7FuF2E

Mostly the same. I've got windows systems to keep playing on overall. I just like macOS better because I'm in Xcode so much.

I'm running in the cloud using a docker container. A bit big and with a higher hardware resource consumption but looks better than on Mac.

That way I was able to play even on the tablet.
    Maybe the cost of this environment gets a little high but I am enjoying some free samples I have accumulated.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by augustuscosta View Post
    I'm running in the cloud using a docker container. A bit big and with a higher hardware resource consumption but looks better than on Mac.

That way I was able to play even on the tablet.
    Maybe the cost of this environment gets a little high but I am enjoying some free samples I have accumulated.
    Not having much experience with Docker yet, you made my jaw drop. I didn't know that docker could output anything with graphics. I've only used it to spin up SQL Server test environments on my Mac when I was learning SQL.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234