Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkalten View Post
    They really aren't. Apple gave notice about this change about 2 and a half years ago. I'm a very junior dev. I'm just about to graduate with an associates not even a bachelors this December. I understand that they SSG have 3rd party libraries that need to be changed out for 64 bit, but I'm sorry, with access to the source code and two years time I'm pretty sure that I could have ported things to 64 bit. (Granted they could have done something crazy with the engine that I'm not aware of from not having looked at it.) But with 2 years of notice and the response being to just cancel Mac support, they are not doing their best.
    1. I fully agree that this has been known for years and is definitely the right decision of Apple. Shouldn't be a big thing to port the client to 64bit (if one wants to).

2. Just for the counter: I am a paying Mac user (VIP).

Quote Originally Posted by Tricosene View Post
    You might try using Parallels to run Windows on your Mac, then run the Windows version of DDO within Parallels.

I used Parallels for some Windows-only software a few years back and was impressed with the product, although I never tried it with DDO. It sure beat having to make space for a second computer.
    For a free solution, try Virtual Box with a Windows 7 or Windows 10 image or Boot Camp on Mac hardware. These are free. One is an Oracle download and the other an Apple already installed.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    For a free solution, try Virtual Box with a Windows 7 or Windows 10 image or Boot Camp on Mac hardware. These are free. One is an Oracle download and the other an Apple already installed.
    This is something I feel I should respond to. First of all. You get what you pay for with VM software on a Mac. Parallels and VMWare Fusion are about even in terms of performance. Virtual Box is far behind them. Virtual Box is great if you need to be able to run some sort of productivity software on a Mac, but don't want to pay out for VMWare or Parallels. However, for gaming the increased performance of the two paid options makes it worth paying.

They really aren't. Apple gave notice about this change about 2 and a half years ago. I'm a very junior dev. I'm just about to graduate with an associates not even a bachelors this December. I understand that they SSG have 3rd party libraries that need to be changed out for 64 bit, but I'm sorry, with access to the source code and two years time I'm pretty sure that I could have ported things to 64 bit. (Granted they could have done something crazy with the engine that I'm not aware of from not having looked at it.) But with 2 years of notice and the response being to just cancel Mac support, they are not doing their best.
    Is SSG waiting for Steam's Vulkan SDK to work on Catalina? So that instead of running DDO on MacOS Catalina, one would launch Steam on Catalina and run DDO from there? I know this scenario works on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bits right now.

BTW, the Vulkan source code are there on github, free for anyone to download and compile. I think its called MoltenVK.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    Is SSG waiting for Steam's Vulkan SDK to work on Catalina? So that instead of running DDO on MacOS Catalina, one would launch Steam on Catalina and run DDO from there? I know this scenario works on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bits right now.

BTW, the Vulkan source code are there on github, free for anyone to download and compile. I think its called MoltenVK.
    So, I've looked at MoltenVK before, and it is ready to go now. That said, I'm unsure what the 32 bit 3rd party libraries DDO has are. MoltenVK would definitely be a way to potentially fix some of the problems for a native macOS client.

Honestly, based upon what Cordovan said when the wine client was released compared to now, I think they thought wine would work and then got surprised by the fact that it doesn't. I don't think they put much time or planning into this. That's just a gut feeling though.

Community Manager

If WINE is able to run on Catalina in the future we will be very interested in looking into it. We also do have an intention to release a 64 bit client for DDO, and when the time comes for that, we'll share more information.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    If WINE is able to run on Catalina in the future we will be very interested in looking into it. We also do have an intention to release a 64 bit client for DDO, and when the time comes for that, we'll share more information.
    I have the intention to win the lottery, I also commit myself to it by buying a ticket. Yet somehow strangely it yet has to happen.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    I have the intention to win the lottery, I also commit myself to it by buying a ticket. Yet somehow strangely it yet has to happen.
    Ima win the Eurojackpot this week, muuusssst win this time

Community Member

I am no computer expert and what i am thinking of might just be the problem.

I am on Linux. Installed steam. enabled proton and installed DDO. More or less everything works.

So i am thinking if steam can be installed on mac maybe that workaround will work?

Not sure about proton and 32 bit apllication, but it's worth a shot...
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Here's the thing: It makes me sad that I will no longer be able to play DDO. I had been led to believe that the latest WINE client update would do the trick (maybe SSG thought it would?) but apparently that's not the case. The one piece of advice I've been given is not to upgrade my Mac -- but that's not very realistic for me, I'm afraid. I have a Season Pass that I won't be able to use, and I'll miss out on things like Keep on the Borderlands. I'm a casual player but I've been a consistent player over the years. Yes, I'm feeling a bit let down and sorry for myself.

Community Member

This seems so obvius to me so i am embarressed for mentioning it, but as others have pointed out:

1) Install a virtual computer environment. Last time i checked vmware had a free version called player or something. Don't know the native environment for macOS. but as jkalten pointed out vmware is better than virtualbox.
    2) Install Linux mint on vm. Free, open source and easy to use. minimal footprint.
    3) Install steam on linux mint.
    4) enable proton on steam
    5) Install ddo through steam.
    6) run ddo through vm linux mint and steam.

This should work and if anybody with a mac is willing to try it i will gladly guide.

I would suggest what Tyrande says first. Might save you a vm.
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    This seems so obvius to me so i am embarressed for mentioning it, but as others have pointed out:

1) Install a virtual computer environment. Last time i checked vmware had a free version called player or something. Don't know the native environment for macOS. but as jkalten pointed out vmware is better than virtualbox.
    2) Install Linux mint on vm. Free, open source and easy to use. minimal footprint.
    3) Install steam on linux mint.
    4) enable proton on steam
    5) Install ddo through steam.
    6) run ddo through vm linux mint and steam.

This should work and if anybody with a mac is willing to try it i will gladly guide.

I would suggest what Tyrande says first. Might save you a vm.
    Can you really hold my hand on this? I am old and not tech saavy
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (>17), Naerfelka (>21)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    Can you really hold my hand on this? I am old and not tech saavy
    I promise i can help with everything except installing the virtual invironment on a mac.

Community Member

Crossover has said that it will be at least 30 days (my guess is longer) before they can handle things on Catalina. I have noted that Parallels is not ready to handle 32-bit programs in Catalina either. Both are reasons I don't plan on going to Catalina for some time yet
    (if ever, I don't see anything compelling to want me to upgrade)

Community Member

@Saekee and others interested.

I tried making a guide. It is not finished yet as i still need to write something about the first run of Linux Mint. But i suggest you read it and let me know if you are up for the challenge.

EDIT: See my signature for a link.
    Last edited by Ultinoob; 10-07-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Community Member

@Saekee and others interested.

I tried making a guide. It is not finished yet as i still need to write something about the first run of Linux Mint. But i suggest you read it and let me know if you are up for the challenge.

EDIT: See my signature for a link.
    Just a couple things. First to install virtual box on macOS I recommend two steps, both done by typing into the terminal. First:

/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

This will install brew which is a package manager. Then type in:

brew cask install virtualbox

This will install virtual box for you.

Note: Not checked explicitly in Catalina yet, but that is how it's worked for quite a while now, so unless virtual box hasn't been updated for Catalina yet, this should work.

Edit*

Also, it looks like the wine client is just a simple winebottler creation. This means that once code weavers releases their Mac 64 bit code to the regular wine source, anyone should be able to create a DDO bottle for us Mac gamers since SSG has decided to drop Mac support.
    Last edited by jkalten; 10-07-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Community Member

Just a couple things. First to install virtual box on macOS I recommend two steps, both done by typing into the terminal. First:

/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

This will install brew which is a package manager. Then type in:

brew cask install virtualbox

This will install virtual box for you.

Note: Not checked explicitly in Catalina yet, but that is how it's worked for quite a while now, so unless virtual box hasn't been updated for Catalina yet, this should work.

Edit*

Also, it looks like the wine client is just a simple winebottler creation. This means that once code weavers releases their Mac 64 bit code to the regular wine source, anyone should be able to create a DDO bottle for us Mac gamers since SSG has decided to drop Mac support.
    Seems like you know more about than me. If you have anything else I should add to the guide let me know. I will work on updating it tomorrow. I am tired now.

Community Member

Seems like you know more about than me. If you have anything else I should add to the guide let me know. I will work on updating it tomorrow. I am tired now.
    Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to find the wine 64 source and start working on tweaking it for DDO. (Likely insane amounts of work for no pay) Or if I'm good with keeping a HS or Mojave partition on my computers. I'm going to try to keep checking in over here and helping anyone get things working with available tools for the moment though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    New or upgraded client sounds awesome! ETA?

Community Member

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to find the wine 64 source and start working on tweaking it for DDO. (Likely insane amounts of work for no pay) Or if I'm good with keeping a HS or Mojave partition on my computers. I'm going to try to keep checking in over here and helping anyone get things working with available tools for the moment though.
    What about proton? Isn't that open source too. as stated steam and proton runs DDO pretty smoothly... Not sure what HS or Mojave is...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast