Community Member

Question End of Mac OS support?

I posted a bug with the Wine client not being 64-bit compatible which means anyone updating to Mac OS 10.15 prior to installing the Wine client won't be able to. I went to the Wine developer site and there is no mention of timeline as for when they will produce a pre-loader which will be 64-bit compliant. This means for a while some Mac users will not be able to access DDO (also I found problems in graphics looks and graphics performance on the Wine client which is a separate issue).

I guess I am trying to figure out how big is the Mac user population on DDO so that I know if there is enough of us for there to be a chance for SSG to give up on Wine as a workaround and properly develop a Mac 64-bit version. Obviously if we are less than 10% of their VIP and DP purchases, then there is no chance we will see a Mac 64-bit client. I have a PC as well, but it isn't 5K graphics so all the menu items take up too much real estate on a 2K graphics monitor.

Is there anyone else on Mac OS that has installed the Wine client version and compared with the existing Mac client version and noticed a difference?

Community Member

I play on a Mac and am not very computer savvy.

I'm quite convinced that come October when they push whatever patch it is they're talking about, my DDO days will likely be over as I won't have the tech know-how to figure things out.

Sadly, I'm also pretty convinced no one at SSG will really care.

Community Member DaggomaticDwarf's Avatar

Default Not a Mac user nor can I confirm these work

https://alternativeto.net/software/wine/?platform=mac

Simple Google search pulled a few alternatives

Dagg.
    If A Dwarf falls in the forest does he make a sound? YES! Ah Gawd Dang Sons of a *BEEP*
    Guild leader of the "Order of the Never Empty Mug"-Khyber Server-Varda, Daggummet, Xotika, Angelheart, Annaleeza, Keirza, Gearszin, Iluvatar, Sindeamon, and Pippsqueek

Default Mac player here

Hey,

I am not computer savvy either. This summer, after the 2nd update that blocked Mac players from being playing, I believe I successfully installed Wine. I was unable to make it work then and had to wait for the Hot fix.

Last week, I downloaded the new improved Mac client from DDO.com. I had to redo my hotkeys and graphics settings but it works alright. I was able to play for hours without relogging to get rid of the graphics glitch

The downside of the new mac client is it will not close out or force quit. So no rebooting my computer until that gets fixed :/

Hopefully that gets resolved before they force us all to use it.

Karisan

Quote Originally Posted by dmeister View Post
    Is there anyone else on Mac OS that has installed the Wine client version and compared with the existing Mac client version and noticed a difference?
    I'm using the Wine client that SSG first came out with (I say first because a recent post from Cordovan made it sound as if they have or will produce a new Wine client to download, but I'm a bit confused).

It's been better for me than the old, native Mac client. The gamma actually works, and dungeons where I could barely see are now navigable. The black walls that would show up after about an hour of play no longer occur.

There's a few things that I don't like about the Wine version, but those are minor compared to the benefits.

Community Member

You're half wrong here.
    Wine support for Mac OS doesn't end. 32 Bit support on Mac OS does, whether through Wine or directly. Codeweavers is trying to work around it but as Apple removes everything 32 Bit support related, they face a real high hurdle to do it.

If DDO gets a 64 bit Windows client, Mac users can use that one through Wine and Linux users don't need to install 32 Bit support in Wine either.

Community Member

Default Mac User

I am a Mac user and don't have access to a Windows-based machine. I have been using the native Mac OS client, and have been trying to postpone switching to the WINE client given the bugs that others have reported even after the latest work on it. I will inevitably have to update to OS 10.15, and will see what happens then. I am not very tech savvy, so it sounds like that may mean no more DDO unless they either make a native Mac OS 64-bit client or the WINE developer updates it. Is that about right?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    With the release of Catalina for MacOS in the near future, Apple will no longer support 32-bit applications. This impacts the compatibility of our WINE-based client for MacOS. Players can continue to play DDO as long as they do not update to Catalina for MacOS. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes to our MacOS users.
    Here

While some of the posts here provide a glimmer of hope - quotes like the one above and the quote in that thread from Sev saying the Mac client already is 64 bit leave me with a lack of optimism...

Community Member

So why the change in position on this, SSG?

Community Member

There are a host of issues that have come up for me (admittedly I'm not a very tech-savy person, either.)
    My computer's fan starts screaming after only a couple of minutes in a public area, the initial log in window is complete computer-gibberish, so it's anyone's guess which server I'm loading onto,
    each load screen seems to have a 50/50 chance of actually loading my character through, and a bunch of controls are now pretty wonky ..

I know that DDO has very little regard for Mac users, but I wish they were just honest with their intentions, because the drip-drip-drip on their contempt and slights is pretty frustrating.
    I've been a VIP service customer for awhile now, and this seems like not avery bright way to end a business relationship. I suppose they just don't care.

I'll admit I'm kinda resentful. I understand it's a transactional relationship, and to that end: I've paid for a service, and there seems to be almost a deliberate disregard of that.
    I'm paid up until the middle of next year, and if I could get a reimbursement, I'd quit right now. Certainly not resubscribing after this.
    Whatever the economic rationalizations are - it's just bad form, and not particularly good long-term thinking.