Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardcore death

Is this a bug or not?

Typically, those lasers are always active and you can see the beam even when it doesn't connect to a mirror. However, this one didn't look active and then boom.

I think there should be some clarification here.

As for the policy of not bringing back any character, I am torn. It seems a slippery slope, but at the same time, if it proves to be a bug, this is beyond a bad dice roll. Imagine this was TT, and something odd happened (cat messes with a roll from 20 to 1), the GM would most definitely do something. Unless, of course, it was humorous and not a big deal anyway.

Bottom line, unfair brutality can be fun if it is not too unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by BigErkyKid View Post
    Is this a bug or not?

Typically, those lasers are always active and you can see the beam even when it doesn't connect to a mirror. However, this one didn't look active and then boom.

As for the policy of not bringing back any character, I am torn. It seems a slippery slope, but at the same time, if it proves to be a bug, this is beyond a bad dice roll. Imagine this was TT, and something odd happened (cat messes with a roll from 20 to 1), the GM would most definitely do something. Unless, of course, it was humorous and not a big deal anyway.

Bottom line, unfair brutality can be fun if it is not too unfair.
    Big time precedent for the litigation of dead epic level characters to flow. C'mon we've been waiting for a thread like this to spawn. And it is here. Orville Redenbacher.

Bounty Hunter

Sucks, I had a lag death with my highest reaper point character Was frustrated for about 15 seconds but that is what I signed up for. Don't think they can make any exceptions as there was likely many deaths caused by game bugs or lag. Have fun with the reroll.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigErkyKid View Post
    Is this a bug or not?

There are many that work the way you're thinking, but this one in particular is only on in certain positions, namely pointed at the 2 mirrors on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by acemonkey View Post
    There are many that work the way you're thinking, but this one in particular is only on in certain positions, namely pointed at the 2 mirrors on either side.
    Well, clearly not. OP won't get helped, that I know. The general discussion over whether providing 0 support in hardcore mode is "fair" or not goes beyond him, though.

The game is not set up to be able to investigate deaths very carefully, in part I guess because they mostly do not matter (they do sell cakes though). I guess they won't invest in that kind of technology for hardcore mode.

I would, though, like a hardcore league with top ranked people that used streaming. There, I would expect support.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

It's DDO after all... deaths because of bugs and lag are what you can expect pretty much. That's why I don't play reaper. But yeah it's still Hardcore mode. You guys rushed moving the laser in stead of making sure everyone was out of the way first to be sure nothing could happen. I'd definitely make sure I'm not near that death machine when someone starts turning it xD Best clip I've seen of Hardcore mode so far though! Thanks SSG
    Last edited by ShifterThePirate; 09-20-2019 at 06:07 AM.

Arrow confirmed bug

This death was caused due to a bug. You are usually given 2-3 seconds AFTER the laser is shown to get the f~~~ out of the way. This gave him 0 seconds and no laser was shown. Unfortunately, as Cordovan stated at the beginning of Hardcore, no matter how much bulls~~~ goes on, there will be no revival. Sorry OP, but you died in a bug, but very honorable death. #tankpower
    Wow! A very balanced game!
    I love this game! Let me play with my friends!
    *solos R5 CoS with Inquistive*
    oh wait.

Community Member

Default Not a bug

How can I be sure? Because of the way that all these lasers work.

In almost all cases lasers start off (except in a couple of cases but from that point they still work the say way)

Moving a laser position always turns the laser ON.

In the video you can hear the laser activation sound on each turn completion, you just don't immediately see the beam as he then turned the laser immediately again before it could show. It does not mean the beam is not present though.

I was in slavelords last night and made sure to make sure peeps knew this before turning the laser/mirrors.
    Cannith Server: Maetrim - Once again complete
    Maetrim's DDO Character Planner: https://github.com/Maetrim/DDOBuilder/releases

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Sucks, I had a lag death with my highest reaper point character Was frustrated for about 15 seconds but that is what I signed up for. Don't think they can make any exceptions as there was likely many deaths caused by game bugs or lag. Have fun with the reroll.
    This just happened to me, like 3 minutes ago. Highest I've got so far and over 1100 favor all gone due to a client crash at just the wrong moment. My client is usually very stable, can't recall the last time it crashed. But hey ho, I have some goodies in the bank that will make the next life (slightly) easier. Off I go to reroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary View Post

In almost all cases lasers start off (except in a couple of cases but from that point they still work the say way)

In the video you can hear the laser activation sound on each turn completion, you just don't immediately see the beam as he then turned the laser immediately again before it could show. It does not mean the beam is not present though.

I was in slavelords last night and made sure to make sure peeps knew this before turning the laser/mirrors.
    This is not true because slave lords for example, if you stand in the way of the mirror without it actually shooting the laser, you won't be damaged because the laser has nothing to connect to.
    Wow! A very balanced game!
    I love this game! Let me play with my friends!
    *solos R5 CoS with Inquistive*
    oh wait.

Community Member

Have you run out to that room and tested that specific beam? You really should before you hold yourself out to be an expert on the situation. Takes 5 minutes max if you've got a character at cap.

Thanks for the video. Lvl 24, that sucks bro.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kelavas View Post
    This is not true because slave lords for example, if you stand in the way of the mirror without it actually shooting the laser, you won't be damaged because the laser has nothing to connect to.
    Once the light source has been moved at least once in slavelords you always get a light beam even if it connects to a mirror pointing in the wrong direction. You will take damage if you step into that beam.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by acemonkey View Post
    Have you run out to that room and tested that specific beam? You really should before you hold yourself out to be an expert on the situation. Takes 5 minutes max if you've got a character at cap.
    I can hold my hands up and say I have not specifically tested this. But I can infer the rules on how things act through observation. I stated how I believe these act. I could be wrong, but in this case I may go stand my toon in the beam just to prove it (Not on hardcore though)

Quote Originally Posted by Lagin View Post

Thanks for the video. Lvl 24, that sucks bro.
    He got strimtomed, you heard it here first.

Community Member

Players grief killing other players is becoming a thing in hardcre. Happened to my lvl 15 in raven loft. Player tagged along close to me trying to blow me up jumping thru traps in maid to order. Just thought he was dumb nub. Next quest was oath of veng. Just me and him and one other. He tagged along while i ran quest doing next to nothing. Then sprinted off to light beacon. He waited till i passed by in hall to ignite and kill me. I was clueless to his evil intention until other party member poited out he did it on purpose.

I only solo now.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tinyelvis View Post
    Players grief killing other players is becoming a thing in hardcre. Happened to my lvl 15 in raven loft. Player tagged along close to me trying to blow me up jumping thru traps in maid to order. Just thought he was dumb nub. Next quest was oath of veng. Just me and him and one other. He tagged along while i ran quest doing next to nothing. Then sprinted off to light beacon. He waited till i passed by in hall to ignite and kill me. I was clueless to his evil intention until other party member poited out he did it on purpose.

I only solo now.
    I pointed this out when they announced Hardcore mode because it's very common in Online games to run into players who are just playing to ruin other players gaming experience. I asked them what they will do to prevent toxic players that will intentionally ruin a parties quest or a players perma death life. They said it would probably not be a problem because DDO has such a good community If there is no system to punish players who intentionally being toxic this will only get worse... There should be some kind of penalty/ban thing if it happens multiple times.

ps. I'm not blaming the players in the video here. The situation in this video was not intentional. I was just speaking in general.
    Last edited by ShifterThePirate; 09-20-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Community Member DaggomaticDwarf's Avatar

Default Oh ouch!

So did Strimtom get the credit for the kill? OP did your death message say " You were killed by STRIMTOM the EVIL"!!
    If A Dwarf falls in the forest does he make a sound? YES! Ah Gawd Dang Sons of a *BEEP*
    Guild leader of the "Order of the Never Empty Mug"-Khyber Server-Varda, Daggummet, Xotika, Angelheart, Annaleeza, Keirza, Gearszin, Iluvatar, Sindeamon, and Pippsqueek

Quote Originally Posted by tinyelvis View Post

I only solo now.
    Since I hit level 20 (go me!) I keep getting random people wanting to group up. It’s not that I’m against grouping, but hearing this is going on combined with getting a lot of tells to group, I just don’t trust anyone I don’t already know...At least we all know one person to look out for now
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Community Member

I can hold my hands up and say I have not specifically tested this. But I can infer the rules on how things act through observation. I stated how I believe these act. I could be wrong, but in this case I may go stand my toon in the beam just to prove it (Not on hardcore though)
    Heh, I managed to kill myself (not hardcore) testing rq, so that's probably a good idea. This one the beam graphic only activates in the north and south positions, when the laser is pointed at a mirror. You can leave it pointed in the direction it caused the death in for 10 seconds, the beam stays off graphically, but can cause death. Odd duck compared to the rest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12