Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Manager

Default MacOS: New Client Available and FAQ

The former MacOS client is being replaced with a new Wine client solution. The new client is not yet required to play the game, but the new client is expected to replace the MacOS client during a planned release in October. Until then, you may wish to update to the new client, and you will be able to use it moving forward. Please click here to reinstall the game and continue to play Dungeons & Dragons Online. The new client will install the necessary files to run an updated DDO game client on your machine.

MacOS: New Client FAQ

The former MacOS client has been replaced with a new Wine client solution. Please use the download here to reinstall the game and continue to play Dungeons & Dragons Online. The new client will install the necessary files to run an updated DDO game client on your machine.

Q: Do I need to create a new game account?
    A: No, your current account credentials will be used to log into the game client.

Q: Are my characters still saved?
    A: Yes, all of your characters on all game worlds remain unaffected.

Q: What if I need assistance getting the client installed, or logging in through the new client?
    A: Please get in touch with Technical Support through help.standingstonegames.com.

Q: Will I be able to use my old game client to play Dungeons & Dragons Online?
    A: Our new Wine client for MacOS replaces the former MacOS client when we do a planned game update in October. For you, all it should mean is a one-time download of the game client here.

Q: What do I need to do to get the new client and install it?
    A: Simply download the proper version of the game client here, and follow the prompts to install the program.

Q: Can I uninstall the old MacOS client?
    A: Yes.

Q: The installation is telling me that it can't be opened due to Apple not being able to search for a file. What do I do?
    A: This is an issue we are currently working to resolve. For now, you can right-click on the file and choose "open". This will present a pop-up box with the previous warning, but with the additional options to "Open" or "Cancel". You will need to do the same for the DDO.app file once it has been copied into your applications folder.
    Last edited by Cordovan; 09-19-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Default ddolive.dmg can't be opened

Hi,
    after downloading ddolive.dmg I do get an error message that it can't be opened because Apple cannot search for malware in dmg-file. It seems that the .dmg-file is somehow damaged or not correct. I do run MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.

Best,
    Stanrok

Default Question

Why the change? Improved stability, better performance, less bugs, preparing for future changes? Just curious.

So how is this different from the new Mac Wine Client that I downloaded and installed back in May?

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6210320

Do I have to do this again?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbo335 View Post
    Hi,
    after downloading ddolive.dmg I do get an error message that it can't be opened because Apple cannot search for malware in dmg-file. It seems that the .dmg-file is somehow damaged or not correct. I do run MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.
    Yep. Same here.

back to playing the old version?
    That which does not destroy us, makes us stronger.

I must be invincible!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LTForge View Post
    Why the change? Improved stability, better performance, less bugs, preparing for future changes? Just curious.
    I dont think thats about "change" more its about to maintain only 1 client. Probobny they had some problem with update some feature to native Mac client or they had enought of maintain old client.
    For You that mean faster deliver new content and faster fix bugs so you may think of that like investition but cost is performance i think.
    Wine client can be make easy for most Windows games, that seems unfortunately like they drop Mac support to minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by DANTEIL View Post
    So how is this different from the new Mac Wine Client that I downloaded and installed back in May?

Wine is container or something like virtual machine i think you dont need, unless they change some critical windows dependency but i dont think so.
    Last edited by apaczpl; 09-19-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Community Member

Default New MacOS client

I suppose we will need the new client for MacOS Catalina, which will not support 32-bit applications like the old Mac-Client anymore. I hope that the new Wine client is 64-bit and supported by the new MacOS.

Community Member

Default Request for further information on requirements for this client to work

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The former MacOS client is being replaced with a new Wine client solution. The new client is not yet required to play the game, but the new client is expected to replace the MacOS client during a planned release in October. Until then, you may wish to update to the new client, and you will be able to use it moving forward. Please click here to reinstall the game and continue to play Dungeons & Dragons Online. The new client will install the necessary files to run an updated DDO game client on your machine.

MacOS: New Client FAQ

The former MacOS client has been replaced with a new Wine client solution. Please use the download here to reinstall the game and continue to play Dungeons & Dragons Online. The new client will install the necessary files to run an updated DDO game client on your machine.

Q: Do I need to create a new game account?
    A: No, your current account credentials will be used to log into the game client.

Q: Are my characters still saved?
    A: Yes, all of your characters on all game worlds remain unaffected.

Q: What if I need assistance getting the client installed, or logging in through the new client?
    A: Please get in touch with Technical Support through help.standingstonegames.com.

Q: Will I be able to use my old game client to play Dungeons & Dragons Online?
    A: Our new Wine client for MacOS replaces the former MacOS client when we do a planned game update in October. For you, all it should mean is a one-time download of the game client here.

Q: What do I need to do to get the new client and install it?
    A: Simply download the proper version of the game client here, and follow the prompts to install the program.

Q: Can I uninstall the old MacOS client?
    A: Yes.
    Hi

Thanks for providing this new client and allow the mac community to keep playing on their macs. I do however find that the Q&A doesn't provide us with much guidance on making this client work and on making a smooth transition.

1. My assumption is that we need to install Wine. To install wine, we need to install Xcode. Can we have a quick to do to make sure everyone understands what are the requirements and what needs to be done?
    2. Should we delete the "soon to be discontinued client" prior to install the new one? Right now, if both are installed, there seem to be conflicts and the new WINE client can't launch. Well, that's what I think happens...
    3. Are we allowed to update to macOS 10.15? Is this client built for 64bits? If it depends from Wine (which, iirc, is 32 bits), we're better off holding on.
    4. Client satisfaction and user friendliness. Should we expect to waste again another >10h to try to setup a new DDO client with constant crashing because of serial decryption errors? The last couple years, I feel I've been queuing at an attraction parc for hours before I could actually play.

[PLACEHOLDER FOR MORE QUESTIONS]

A fan constantly disappointed by the hassle of setting up the game but always insanely loving it.
    -Fizhban - Allistraee - Llunarii - Gorbasch -

I just did this on an old laptop, did not take tooo long

First thing that happened was that I wanted to window it instead of fullscreen. This was a lot of data to change for my machine to handle so it went all black. After a couple of minutes waiting, I closed my laptop; will checkin later. Am optimistic
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked at level 4!)

Community Manager

A couple of quick answers:

Quote Originally Posted by DANTEIL View Post

This is an updated version of the Wine client released earlier this year. It's a more polished experience with some significant updates done to it. Yes, you should reinstall the game client again.

Quote Originally Posted by LTForge View Post
    Moving to a Wine client solution for MacOS allows us to better support the game for our MacOS users long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Aredharr View Post
    Hi

Thanks for providing this new client and allow the mac community to keep playing on their macs. I do however find that the Q&A doesn't provide us with much guidance on making this client work and on making a smooth transition.

1. My assumption is that we need to install Wine. To install wine, we need to install Xcode. Can we have a quick to do to make sure everyone understands what are the requirements and what needs to be done?
    2. Should we delete the "soon to be discontinued client" prior to install the new one? Right now, if both are installed, there seem to be conflicts and the new WINE client can't launch. Well, that's what I think happens...
    3. Are we allowed to update to macOS 10.15? Is this client built for 64bits? If it depends from Wine (which, iirc, is 32 bits), we're better off holding on.
    4. Client satisfaction and user friendliness. Should we expect to waste again another >10h to try to setup a new DDO client with constant crashing because of serial decryption errors? The last couple years, I feel I've been queuing at an attraction parc for hours before I could actually play.

[PLACEHOLDER FOR MORE QUESTIONS]

A fan constantly disappointed by the hassle of setting up the game but always insanely loving it.
    1. You do not need to install a separate Wine download. Everything that is needed is downloaded through the download link above.
    2. Let me know more about the conflicts you are experiencing, please.
    3. Yes, you should be able to maintain an updated MacOS and run this client long term.
    4. Hopefully your experience will be much better this time.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Default Getting around the "can't be opened" error

Hi,

Best,
    Stanrok
    For everyone running in to this issue, right-click on the file and choose "open". That will give you a pop-up box with the same warning as before, but now with the options to "Open" or "Cancel". You will need to do the same for the DDO.app file once you have copied it to your Applications folder.
    Last edited by yhelm123; 09-19-2019 at 10:43 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    Sartika, Leader of The Red Scare, Cannith Server
    Alts: Noalynn - Kenzari - Kreena - Conraad - and many others
    Quote Originally Posted by ainmosni View Post
    MAKIN SAVES LIKE JESUS... ELITE OF COURSE U EXPECT LESS? IM A RANGER

Community Member

Well this doesn't feel like a good strategy... Running Windows native apps in a Wine bottle nearly always results in worse performance over a native client.

How does this perform compared to the previous native app?

How will keybindings be affected? Now that it is not a native app, will it no longer support native macOS keyboard keys (specifically the command key and option key)?

This feels like a bandaid to avoid abandoning Mac users entirely. I knew DDO being sold to another company was a bad omen...

Community Member

It is definitely a very disappointing strategy for Mac users. As far as I know there is no clear strategy for Wine to run on the new Catalina MacOS. DDO will therefore not run on the new MacOS.

If there is no native 64-bit DDO-client for MacOS it will probably make me stop playing this game. I am not going to stay on an old OS neither will I play thru Parallels or VirtualBox. Wine does not seem to be an option.

Community Member

It is definitely a very disappointing strategy for Mac users. As far as I know there is no clear strategy for Wine to run on the new Catalina MacOS. DDO will therefore not run on the new MacOS.

If there is no native 64-bit DDO-client for MacOS it will probably make me stop playing this game. I am not going to stay on an old OS neither will I play thru Parallels or VirtualBox. Wine does not seem to be an option.
    Exactly my thoughts. My current plan is to login, get screenshots of what I can (so I can at least have tangible memories of this game), then uninstall. I wish they wouldn't have done this, but I see no other options now.

Mac gaming is just getting more and more barren...

Quote Originally Posted by danabear View Post
    Well this doesn't feel like a good strategy... Running Windows native apps in a Wine bottle nearly always results in worse performance over a native client.

How does this perform compared to the previous native app?

How will keybindings be affected? Now that it is not a native app, will it no longer support native macOS keyboard keys (specifically the command key and option key)?

This feels like a bandaid to avoid abandoning Mac users entirely. I knew DDO being sold to another company was a bad omen...
    Is that what Wine is? Honestly I have no idea
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked at level 4!)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    Is that what Wine is? Honestly I have no idea
    From the Wine website (https://www.winehq.org):

Wine is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.

Despite that description, I've always experienced at least a moderate hit to performance. This is a much larger concern with games than it typically is with other apps, such as MS Word, Excel, etc.

Community Member

Performance might not be the biggest issue as DDO is running quite well on Wine today. But Wine is not 64-bit ready and thus will not run on Catalina which will come up soon. Then we have no DDO client for MacOS anymore.

thx danabear

I have it working fine; I just can’t make it sit in a window. Makes the proportions a little odd—will need to fiddle around a lot

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by yhelm123 View Post
    For everyone running in to this issue, right-click on the file and choose "open". That will give you a pop-up box with the same warning as before, but now with the options to "Open" or "Cancel". You will need to do the same for the DDO.app file once you have copied it to your Applications folder.
    still same error now when I try to open binary file (prev I have with .dmg).

well I am glad MAC is still supported in some way. I am guessing over the last year MAC users accounted for only about 6 percentage points of logins. That is still significant but the real question is whether or not the other MAC users are as cheap as me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast