Thread: Deathward

Default Deathward

Does Deathward not protect against Destruction?

Ok, I admit the first time I had allowed my DW expire. But I immediately put it on after I was rez'ed and (very) promptly died once again. Is this WAI?
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Community Member

It could have been also the bane damage that iirc goes through deathward.

Destruction - An enemy is Dead instantly, or is dealt 1d3+3 bane damage per caster level (no maximum) on a successful Fortitude save.

While it will protect you from the being instantly dead when you fail the saving throw, if you succeed you will take the bane damage.

So basically it appears your issue is that you are succeeding on the saving throw . So Bane damage for you.

The other possibility is that you are being hit with a dispel that is removing your Deathward just prior to then being hit by destruction again. Remember, they did boost the power level of mobs on higher difficulties.

My experience with deathward is that the mobs you need it for, just remove it from you anyway, so it is useless.
    "... none but ourselves can free the mind." - Marcus Garvey, 1937

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knobull View Post
    My experience with deathward is that the mobs you need it for, just remove it from you anyway, so it is useless.
    AKA beholders Remember Shadow Beholders dont have antimagic though, so for the optional in Mirror, its still worthwhile.

There are a few quests filled with swarms of neggers where I remember to pop a DW pot...Precious Cargo comes to mind, with the battery of five Elementalists at range, since I ran that recently. The named skeleton priest in Invitation to Dinner is another that can get spammy with the neg levels, especially since he can survive long enough to get you several times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Deathblock items can help.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member

Deathward blocks all parts of destruction, but cleric casters with destruction also cast dispel magic to remove deathward.

At which point it doesn't matter if you save or not, untyped damage of a high CR caster at any moderate difficulty will automatically 1 shot you.

A deathblock item or store augment will block all effects of destruction, and will much more rarely get disjuncted and fail to work.

At one point Lynnabel was looking at fixing the damage part of destruction to bypass deathward/deathblock, but realized automatically killing players would be a bad idea.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 09-19-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Hear ye hear ye minions of the virtues of spell absorb!

Once you start getting to high skull reapers at cap you have less to worry about sldestruction, and more so to worry about horrid wilting/cyclonic blast.

Taking a lesson from endgamers who regularly face 1600-2000 damage on a save.....or up to 4K on a fail, spell absorption is your most effective tool.

Tbh every and all builds should factor into having it for a gear swap, on multiple items, to ensure that they can always stay safe from casters.

While most are high level; here is a list of spell absorb items:
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Spell_Absorption

Looking at that, it appears to be missing a few of the newer items.

The lowest level you can get spell absorb is ML 5 on the mantle.
    The Shadow Assassin, and all around Miserable Elitist

Why dont we have mirror cloak, that way we can bounce all the deathstar beams back at the caster

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    AKA beholders Remember Shadow Beholders dont have antimagic though, so for the optional in Mirror, its still worthwhile.

There are a few quests filled with swarms of neggers where I remember to pop a DW pot...Precious Cargo comes to mind, with the battery of five Elementalists at range, since I ran that recently. The named skeleton priest in Invitation to Dinner is another that can get spammy with the neg levels, especially since he can survive long enough to get you several times.
    I don't have any problem with the skeleton, it is the pair of Shadows of Hate at the beginning that I can't stand.