Default Tome use advice please

I have searched the forums on tome topics as when (what levels) to use them but have found no recent or clear answer.

The ddo wiki isnt very clear on this either. Im confused on if i use lets say a +8 on a stat then reincarnate when does the first plus become available when LRing a character. Or using a plus 3 tome at level 7 only available at level 7? Do I have to use a +1 at level 1 for taht +1 for it to be available at level 1 when re leveling and so on?

Community Member

If you use a +8 tome, at level 1: it'll give you +2, at level 3: it'll give you +3, up to +8 when you hit level 22. It limits how much is doled out at a given level to keep you from being too strong at lower levels. The initial + to stats won't appear during character creation, they only show up after your first time logging in to the game world; so if there's a feat that you need the +2 stat from the tome at lvl 1 to get, you make the character with any feat and then use Fred to swap the one you want after logging in.

Quote Originally Posted by sabastion01 View Post
    The ddo wiki isnt very clear on this either. I'm confused...
    You did find this?

If you say it's not clear, I believe you - one of the problems is that, often, as veteran players, editors will read what they already understand into an article, but a new player will not see the same info jump out.

If you did read that, what part is failing? Could you suggest an improvement?

(Edit - I just now edited that article a bit, changed a couple key words, added an example - maybe clearer???)

Community Member

I have searched the forums on tome topics as when (what levels) to use them but have found no recent or clear answer.

The ddo wiki isnt very clear on this either. Im confused on if i use lets say a +8 on a stat then reincarnate when does the first plus become available when LRing a character. Or using a plus 3 tome at level 7 only available at level 7? Do I have to use a +1 at level 1 for taht +1 for it to be available at level 1 when re leveling and so on?
    Using a +8 tome will give you 8 stacks of a feat for that stat which survives through TRs. You'll always have all 8 stacks, and the game will always apply the appropriate number of stacks for your level once you're in game.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    You did find this?

If you say it's not clear, I believe you - one of the problems is that, often, as veteran players, editors will read what they already understand into an article, but a new player will not see the same info jump out.

If you did read that, what part is failing? Could you suggest an improvement?

(Edit - I just now edited that article a bit, changed a couple key words, added an example - maybe clearer???)
    Ok, makes more sense I think. So i ate / read a +3 int tome at level 17. So if I LR I wont get those benefits until the level I used the tome?

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Ok, makes more sense I think. So i ate / read a +3 int tome at level 17. So if I LR I wont get those benefits until the level I used the tome?
    You get them gradually at the lowest level they can be applied, so +2 of the bonus would be applied at level 1 (but after character creation so you don't get the extra skill points from intelligence at 1st level), this will increase to +3 at level 3. If you had a higher tome at level 7 the bonus would increase again to +4 and so on.

Um... I think the section on reincarnating specifically states otherwise...

So, if the above example reincarnated, they would not have to wait until level 8 (as they did when they initially applied that tome); the re-created Level 1 character would enjoy all previously existing Tome benefits, as appropriate to their level, starting at Level 1.

I just now added this...

(To be clear, they do not have to wait until the same level they previously applied the Tome.)

If that's not as clear as it is for me, what could be added to make it more so?

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Um... I think the section on reincarnating specifically states otherwise...

So, if the above example reincarnated, they would not have to wait until level 8 (as they did when they initially applied that tome); the re-created Level 1 character would enjoy all previously existing Tome benefits, as appropriate to their level, starting at Level 1.

I just now added this...

(To be clear, they do not have to wait until the same level they previously applied the Tome.)

If that's not as clear as it is for me, what could be added to make it more so?
    No, it's clear and concise. I understand it now. Im just coming back after being gone for a while and all this whatever R'ing and epic destinies, past this's and those's just getting things confusing.

thanks to everyone for helping me.

Cool, good news!

As I said, it's easy for editors (myself included) to type something up, knowing the topic, that overlooks the obvious details. Tried to avoid that in the article we're currently discussing.

As for the other "R's", there's Racial Reincarnation (which is a diff set of bonuses from PL classes), and Iconic (which is only important if you're currently running an Iconic race build, no other time). All linked in Wiki.

GL!