Thread: Int based melee

Default Int based melee

How does that work without stun and trip options?
    Can we get int to stun and trip? I always wanted to make an int based melee. The turn off is the loss of single target CC which is very valuable to melee.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Int based melee…
    Eldritch Knight.
    Pick your CC.... resistable Dance? Irresistable Dance? FoD?
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member

If Wizard, 1 AP into Archmage for (quickened) Hypnotism is pretty nice early. AoE
    If Gnome, (quickened) Color Spray. AoE
    Mass Hold. AoE
    BoGW. AoE
    End game, Dire Charge. AoE

Community Member

Following up on the Eldritch Knight and Wizard:
    - Eldritch Tempest. AOE knockdown that starts at around 1k damage in heroics
    - Prismatic Spray until Epics, then go Spellsinger for Greater Shout SLA (and the free permanent quicken/extend)

Not mentioned yet: melee artificers
    - Renegade Mastermaker gets an Int-based version of Stunning Blow (T2) that scales with Sunder (a little hard to gear for)
    - Battle Engineer gets an Int-based version of Trip at T5 that scales with Sunder. Since you'll have KTA by then, your DC will be pretty fantastic through heroics
    - Prismatic Spray in late heroics for AOE CC
    - You *can* go with the cold runearm from Disciples, which can freeze, but I wouldn't recommend it. Lightning storm runearms all the way

With the zerg style that so many play, who has time to land a stun?

I really never cared for str based replacements, and like the idea of attribute based feats like stun and trip even less. What are you going to go, stun them with your intelligence?
    Gwhyn Saige - heroic and epic completionist, loving the EK build
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...elee-wizard-EK

Quote Originally Posted by krimsonrane View Post

Can we get int to stun and trip?
    The answers to your questions are "it doesn't" and "no".

Int to Damage usually is only attractive either to 1) ranged (who enjoy GXB or Repeater effects), or 2) casters (who take advantage of Helpless damage mods).

Quote Originally Posted by Ghwyn View Post
    I really never cared for str based replacements, and like the idea of attribute based feats like stun and trip even less. What are you going to go, stun them with your intelligence?
    The argument would be to "fight smarter, not harder", ala the analytical combat scenes in Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows (Robt Downey Jr.). (It's an argument - ymmv whether it's a "convincing" one - but it is inarguably cinematic, and so it "works" for many RPG environments.)

For my money, the game starts to lose me at Charisma-to-Damage and Con-to-Damage. But... meh, it's a game.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

With Inquisitive, you can get Int to hit and damage and get Knockdown as your CC. Plus, you get to melee from super far away and that's really handy.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

A pure fighter using kta can reach crazy high int-based dc for dire charge, in addition to the insightful deadly effect for damage, while also maintaining an acceptable STR modifier for trip and stunning blow. (no need to lose kensai capstone on divine splashes for str based boosts)

Furthermore, he could even score extra d6 bludgeon damage per int mod (bigger int, bigger head? not balloons ofc), scaling with melee power and stunning the opponent for 10 seconds. All that remains is to create this feat. Let's call it.. Headbutt! Could also have a built-in +1 size modifier for horc/pdk and -1 for small races...
    + Cannith +
    + Csodaszarvas +
    + MCMLXXXVI + Ezredes + Giliszta + Halacska +

With anything other than str based you can also get used to being KD on every giant fight since they changed the way physics checks work. If you were in range when he started lifting his leg for the stomp, even if you are 3 states over when he stomps, you are KD.

Unless theres some other synergy (ala the EK example) - go Str.

With the zerg style that so many play, who has time to land a stun?

be smart enough to know where to hit rather than how hard? using intelligence so that instead of forcefully tripping someone you make them trip themselves.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

Quote Originally Posted by krimsonrane View Post
    Can we get int to stun and trip? I always wanted to make an int based melee. The turn off is the loss of single target CC which is very valuable to melee.
    My alt is an Int-based melee Artificer that is not really all that optimized. His gear is pretty good but not perfect by any means and template could probably use some work.

That being said his Thunder-shock, Battlefist and Dire Charge DCs are 110, 106 and 105 respectively (maybe a little higher...I only play him periodically and may have missed a buff or two when I checked the numbers). I am sure the really good builders will laugh at those numbers but all in all he is pretty effective in low Reapers.