Default What is your preferred type of healer to run with?

I am about to roll through some Racial TRs and Epic Past Lives, and I was planning on doing a healer.

What do most people prefer to play with? Caster FVS/Cleric or Battle Cleric with Radiant Servant T5 who, if you stay near them, will heal you. A Bard that handles CC and heals and nice buffs?

I have a ton of lives as a Favored Soul or Cleric. Cleric is probably tied for my favorite class to play (Arty, Cleric and Bard are the 3 that never seem to get old).

I have basically 5 Builds I am considering mainly.

1. DC Caster Cleric with WIS and focus on crowd control, like Greater Command, Soundburst, Cometfall, Divine Smite if running with ROGs.

2. Heavy Armor battle cleric, would probably be a lot like Axel's battle cleric with Radiant Servant Tier 5.

3. A Clonk, wisdom focused, handwraps, stunning fist and crowd control spells and Radiant Servant T5.

4. A sonic, enchantment focused Spellsinger Bard.

5. A Swashchanter melee bard. Freezing Ice and Swashbuckler.

What do you guys like playing with?

I am looking to try higher reaper during leveling process and hang out at Epic Levels a while to farm gear, Heart Seeds, Epic Past Lives (maybe 3 EPLs) and Tokens of the twelve.

Just looking for feedback. Thanks for all feedback BTW!
    "Hireling" and "Hjealer"
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Community Member

No love for the ranged builds huh..?

FvS inqui? Heals plus deeps, always a welcome addition

Elf AA Falcon Cleric? Wis-based Paralyzing Arrow is a huge help to the party without costing any SP, huge boon in higher skulls if you can make your Enchant DCs...your DPS is trivial but you can keep anything but bosses on lockdown.

Community Member

6. Caster Druid (my preference)
    7. Melee Druid (if that's your preferred style)

Its not the build, but the player. One that heals and supports is preferred. No one is saying they are limited to that, but even today I still see alot of inertia from previous eras where folks will not press a heal or buff button with anyone else targeted.

After that, the player can pick the build that is fun for them.
    Last edited by Chai; 09-17-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Community Member

To each their own preference, but I was spoiled by having a rather well-played buff-Bard tag alongside my group, and I loved it!

Most people will want support alongside the healing, mostly because when healing isn't needed, a pure healer is basically worthless, but someone that can handle their own in melee can be nice too.

Still, the permanent regeneration from those healing songs meant everyone was topped off between each combat, which was awesome through and through.

I actually really like Spellsinger Bards with sustaining song in heroic. They don't do as well in epic, but sustaining song is a great way to deal with chip damage (the 10-12 damage you'll take from a mob before you turn it to mist) and Spellsingers get a good bonus to positive spell power, making their healing spells pretty strong. I also enjoyed having decent sonic damage from Spellsinger, and splashing into warchanter gives some really nice buffs. The Spellsinger capstone gives Heal as a spell, which is very helpful for Bards, and their song buffs make them very helpful at damage mitigation and boosting performance. The only downside is that they have a relatively small spell pool and it takes a while to buff a full party. I don't know how well it scales into high reaper in epics, but I'd assume that your healing spells would still be pretty competitive. One advantage of Spellsinger versus every other healing build is the duration of Sustaining Song. If you do any adventure areas to level, you can pop it on someone and ignore them for a half hour, as long as they don't do the dumb and go toe to toe with everything in the instance, but typically in that case you can't do anything for them anyway.

It's a weird playstyle compared to other healers, to be sure, but its ability to heal the party without burning SP like a madman using sustaining song to deal with indirect/trivial damage (and, the first tick of sustaining song from your song does a pretty solid heal, though it does take a while), ignore antimagic/control effects (since it persists over time and isn't a magical effect), and leave you free to DPS/spot heal as needed makes it, in my opinion, one of the most versatile healing builds, before even factoring in other buffs. It is, to be fair, not the strongest healer in the world in terms of output, but a good Sustaining Song tick can be over 70-80 with good Hamp and spellpower. Not going to keep a tank up in R10, but couple that with active healing and you'll be in decent shape and your DPS who ate some splash damage will be happy to see their bar fill up again.
    I primarily play Zunzyne Siegemaker, and am the guild master of Ares Macrotechnology on Ghallanda.
    Reaper Experience Calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ewE/edit#gid=0 (out of date as of U42.4, needs testing for new values)

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

My preferred type of healer is anyone who is able to throw a Heal scroll or a Cure Moderate with some reasonable Positive spell power and actually remembers to do that between combats and keeps half an eye on the other party members' health occasionally.

Healing is all about choosing to heal other people. Not about having a ton of spell slots dedicated to Heal and Cure spells.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

In my opinion FvS cannot be beaten.
    2 enhancements let you run from 1-20 and TR without Problems... you can heal through carnage reapers…. etc.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    I am about to roll through some Racial TRs and Epic Past Lives, and I was planning on doing a healer.

What do most people prefer to play with? Caster FVS/Cleric or Battle Cleric with Radiant Servant T5 who, if you stay near them, will heal you. A Bard that handles CC and heals and nice buffs?

I have a ton of lives as a Favored Soul or Cleric. Cleric is probably tied for my favorite class to play (Arty, Cleric and Bard are the 3 that never seem to get old).

I have basically 5 Builds I am considering mainly.

1. DC Caster Cleric with WIS and focus on crowd control, like Greater Command, Soundburst, Cometfall, Divine Smite if running with ROGs.

2. Heavy Armor battle cleric, would probably be a lot like Axel's battle cleric with Radiant Servant Tier 5.

3. A Clonk, wisdom focused, handwraps, stunning fist and crowd control spells and Radiant Servant T5.

4. A sonic, enchantment focused Spellsinger Bard.

5. A Swashchanter melee bard. Freezing Ice and Swashbuckler.

What do you guys like playing with?

I am looking to try higher reaper during leveling process and hang out at Epic Levels a while to farm gear, Heart Seeds, Epic Past Lives (maybe 3 EPLs) and Tokens of the twelve.

Just looking for feedback. Thanks for all feedback BTW!
    the best kind of healer build is a self healing DPS build.

If you are talking about getting a divine PL, do this.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...fe-Inqui-Build

I think I am going to run a spellsinger bard.

I was perusing the class forums and just ran across a Bard thread and it motivated me to start updating my bard gear.

I did a Favored Soul life 1 life ago, so Bard "feels" a bit different.

I find myself enjoying the same 5 or 6 builds over and over again.

Spellcasting bard or melee bard. Spell casting cleric or melee cleric. Melee Arty. Warforged wizard or sorceror.

Been a while since I did a bard...it just feels fresh again.

Also will try a race I haven't played before...Dragonborn.

I will post a thread in bard forums and update it as a go, those are generally fun for me.

Sometimes I even look back and remember how a build worked or didn't work.

Oh, and will check out sustaining song. I don't remember if that was a thing when I last did a bard life, though I was a swashchanter, so that might explain why I don't remember it.
    "Hireling" and "Hjealer"
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

I like the DC casting FvS or the Inquis FvS.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Community Member DaggomaticDwarf's Avatar

Default Guilty

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Its not the build, but the player. One that heals and supports is preferred. No one is saying they are limited to that, but even today I still see alot of inertia from previous eras where folks will not press a heal or buff button with anyone else targeted.

After that, the player can pick the build that is fun for them.
    Fighting in Wolf with EDF active, If I can't touch it, I can heal it

Dagg.
    If A Dwarf falls in the forest does he make a sound? YES! Ah Gawd Dang Sons of a *BEEP*
    Guild leader of the "Order of the Never Empty Mug"-Khyber Server-Varda, Daggummet, Xotika, Angelheart, Annaleeza, Keirza, Gearszin, Iluvatar, Sindeamon, and Pippsqueek

Community Member

I like the healer that's actually present, so I'm not too picky. My favorite types are the low attention builds like
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ivine-Disciple

In a party full of melees, I'd like a battle cleric, since that'd put their passive heals mostly where needed.

FvS DC Light Beamer.

CC (DC Spells), Lots of Healing (sources), and Ranged Damage (Light Spells primarily).

No EDF, so can heal at range constantly so long as the group doesn't split up termendously. Able to keep up with fast moving group. High dps when you dump sp into spell damage (boss fights).

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

a few come to mind for high reapers

17/3 fvs/pally
    healer tank with intimidate even first life can get HP to more than 4000 and prr to 300 mrr to 200. heal amp is high, saves all over 100, you get heal SLA and healing wall, as well as fvs wings. great in raids, great in reapers.

pure 20 fvs DC caster
    can get DC's to 130+ now and can fully take care of the caster role as well as the healer role in a group. instakills, cc, heals

pure 20 death cleric
    same as above but more squishy, lower other DC's but higher necro DC's takes more skilled play to stay out of the way of hits and to target enemies weak save, can also swap in items for turn undead in a few situations.

now its more about the person behind the screen then the build itself. I've seen amazing players play all of these and have played all of these myself and enjoy them all immensely.
    Khyber server: Plague Winds
    Shanayney - TR Project with over 90 Reaper points
    Sahanna - Raid Ready Survivable Healer

FVS Frogger Majister and wings can't beat that
    Damonz Cannith

Community Member

The one who pays attention and doens't let people die because they're too busy trying to insta-kill or pew pew everything.

In harder content, I think FvS is nice because the healing flashlight and healing wall can be used on the melee from stand-off range where it's safer. Positive Energy Aura and Positive Energy Burst being PBAoE means the cleric has to be in closer to the fight.

If you're healer is DPSing rather than healing and no one is dying, then you need to up the skulls.

Healers can't dps they just kill everything before you need a heal

Cannith is in dire need of more or everyone twist renewal and actually spot heal each other
    Damonz Cannith