Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Why should bother playing with melee?

Is blatant the disparity between melees and casters (especially Meteor Swarm Sorcs)!

While a melee needs to be at touch range to do damage and take all the mobs heat, the casters from afar One Shot all mobs to dust without any risk. For exemple in quests packed by 200+ mobs (Newcomers, Black and Blue, ToEE, Reign of Madness, Ravenloft, Sharn) the pace is ridiculous, while a casters blast their way, melees slog killing packs of enemies.

Not all community plays at End Game , some of us just want to play melee at heroics.

Community Member RedHandofDeath's Avatar

Really another one of these already?? You realize that at almost all other time its a blatant disparity between meles and casters, alright lets look at your posting history to see if you have complained about that?? Oh no I don't see any posts from you from like a year ago saying oh sorcs or so under powered, when are you going to buff them. I'm also going to guess if this account was that old I wouldn't find it anyway. So I said I was going to repost my rant in every one of these threads so here we go....

Whats ironic is mele centric players yelling about a caster being ahead of them again for the first time in a while.... It always happens..…. come players gather around as I tell you a little bit about a boy named mele and his adopted brothers ranged and caster.....

So I don't think I need to tell you their about their whole lives, maybe just summarize it a bit and tell you about some incidents between mele and his brothers. Se mele is the trueborn son of Ms. Dee Do and Mr. Bine. A few years ago Mr. Bine left them and his brother Mr. Stone came in and took over for the boys with Ms Do. See Mele being the true born son is usually given the best toys, his adopted brothers don't get quite as much to play with, but they try to be happy that they get to play much at all with Mele around.

You see mostly any time Ranged or Caster gets a new toy, or even one of their old toys fixed and shinned up really nice, the actually start to have more fun. Now Mele as soon as he becomes aware of this starts to realize that one of them might actually have more fun than him, and to Mele this just isn't right. Mele knows he has to fix this or his brothers might get his parents attention and possibly become the favorite. This just isn't the case, Mele is the true son and will never be thrown aside for his brothers, but mele is to self absorbed to see this and goes into his normal routine.

Once Mele realizes that one of the other brother is having fun playing with their new toys in HIS YARD his plan goes into action. First he starts to pout and wine to his mom and dad about how Ranged or Caster is out there in the yard having fun in the yard and theres no room out there for him to play. When mom and dad look outside they see plenty of room for him to play beside his brothers so they just ignore him. He then moves onto full blown crying and racking sobs about how he'll never be able to play out there again after they're done because they will have torn everything up. His parents once again know that he is just making things up for attention.

After this fails he'll go outside and grab the new toy from his brothers and start running all over the yard with it, smashing it into trees, into moms flower bed, into the car... heck a few ties he's even thrown it through the window of the house. Now when mom and dad come lookin and find all the destruction caused mele with the new toys, they will have one of two reactions. Mom and Dad will either walk over and break Ranged or Casters new toy infront of them while telling them that they shouldn't have treated mele so bad, or mom will pick up Mele and tell him its alright, they didn't realize how bad it was and they'll take him to the store right now and get him a whole bunch of new toys only for him. What mom and dad don't see as they're walking to the car coddling Mele is that hes looking over his moms shoulder with a Cheshire cat grin and flipping the middle finger to Caster and Ranged.

This is what mele does all the time. When Caster got his new toy Warlock a few years ago. Mele got so jealous that one or two toys in the new Warlock toy set we're a little shinier and a little nicer than his. What did he do, cried and bashed enough things that mom and dad had to come outside break some of the Warlock toys infront of the brothers just to keep Mele from acting out. Mele kept acting out though, he couldn't believe that Warlock still looked just a little more fun than some of his toys, so mom and dad came back out and broke some more of the Warlock play set and took Mele to the store for some new playset parts for some of his toys since his new outfits for ranger were starting to get a little old.

Back when mom and dad decided to expand the yard the first time a little bit, to celebrate they got Mele, Ranged, and Caster a giant new jungle gym set for the yard, they got it from a company called Epic Destiny. When they were talking about ordering it Mele was hopping in excitement yelling MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME. Mom and dad knew they were going to have a problem so out of the 12 piece set they made sure to order half of the set pretty much exclusively for Mele because they knew how he was. Well when the set arrived and they installed it, Mele took over a couple of other pieces so that Mele had 8 pieces that he considered his, but grumbled a lot because he couldn't really use the other piece, 3 of which it seemed we're made for Caster, and one for Ranged. Though even this was not to be as the one part of the play set that Ranged could use was more fun for Caster to use. Mele noticed this though and he could not STAND that Ranged had found something that was almost as fun as a couple of his new rides. He screamed at mom and dad over and over about it and finally they came out and took off the top most slide on this piece of the equipment. This satisfied Mele not at all, and they just kept taking pieces off until Mele was satisfied that Caster couldn't have much fun with it any more.

You see this happens over and over again with Mele, Ranged, and Caster. Caster was once gotten this thing they called DOTS. Caster played with DOTS a lot and Mele got very very bent out of shape. Mele yelled and yelled at mom and dad about this, but mom and dad we're busy with work so DOTS were played with for longer than anything Caster had ever really had a chance to play with and Mele great more and more bitter. Until a new playset arrived for the boys. The playset was called Epic. Mele loved to play with epic, but epic was a big set and tough for mele to play with by himself sometimes. There were time where he had to call for his brother Caster to come help him play. But Caster only got to do one thing with those toys in the beginning. Mele told caster "here HOLD this". That was all caster was allowed to do was HOLD it.

Eventually one of casters toy set called pale master came to work well with some of the Epic toys. Caster had fun with this, but of course Mele just had to yell and scream that it wasn't fair that someone else was having fun besides him. You see ladies and gentlemen this is the story of the brothers. This is as the story has always been with the brothers and ever shall be. I wish I could tell you about the time where Mele saw his brothers outside as they sat their with their old toys being bored, not able to have the fun Mele was having. I wish I could tell you that Mele went to his parents and said "Mom, dad. They need some new toys, lets go get them some so they can have more fun than me for once." Sorry but the truth of that is that Mele looked at his brothers and then went inside to yell at his parents that part of one of his toy sets called Twohanded was broke and no fun to play with.

That above is what mele centric players on these boards ALWAYS do. I mean ALWAYS. Now I have played this game on and off since the day it released. I have not been here continuously though 13 years, but its safe to say I've been playing atleast part time for between 8 and 10 of those 13. I have seen the see saw of this game balance wise over the years constantly. I remember when this game started and casters were so under powered they were buff and haste bots and nothing more. I remember when we got firewall and blade barrier and some spell power changes and casters in general rose above mele for a few months I remember a forum thread where people were discussing why would they take a caster along for anything at all.

I remember when dots were introduced and mele players lost their minds. I remember 5 sorc manning Harry and people screaming about the op casters. I remember epic and the only thing you got to do on a caster with level 20 epic was hold things and swing a woo-woo stick. I remember Epic Destinies coming along and that being the end of sorcs for years. This is the first time since before epic destinies that damage sorcs are being played a lot.... Do you people who are yelling about sorcs being op even realize that.... it has been MORE THAN SEVEN FLIPPIN YEARS since any part of sorc was any part of ascendant. Looking at the volume of you guys on here right now, I can only imagine what happens when we hit seven months.

I'm calling back to casters, but ranged is treated the same, about the only two times I recall ranged becoming ascendant were monkchers and shuri tossers during ravenloft launch. Mele players screamed enough about that to get them to nerf the one weapon that had them far ahead, and to nerf the ability shuris were using for mele power. Today where does shuri chucker stand... not very high at all on the pecking order. Of course they also yelled and screamed about monks and they were nerfed so far that I don't even see monks running around today.

What people screaming about Sorcs and Inquis seem to forget is the devs don't nerf with a feather, they nerf with a hammer. Warlock and Shiradi spammer are case number 1 and two there. Both nerfed into oblivion because mele centric players wined and moaned on here. Now as much as I loved my shiradi wild mage because I like wild mages, I'll be the first to admit that the permadots needed to go from shiradi. Meles just couldn't leave it alone though and got them nerfed 4 more times to the point that shiradis became almost extinct until one specific build that took advantage of a bug with meta magics took over and revived shiradi until reaper came along. Only two warlock builds were ever epic powered and Meles got them nered to the point that Warlock is still a decent heroic leveler, but they got blasted so hard that you don't see them in epic/Legendary much at all.

There is so much I could say about this and the history of this game, but this is history being repeated over and over again. Mele's have gotten more revamps in the game and more bones thrown to them then casters and ranged could ever think of. Do you realize that in the 13 years of this game, casters have been ascendant over mele for about 6 months total (I mean all casters over all mele at the same time). Do you realize that????? One caster class or sub set of that class can become ascendant over mele once in a while when the stars align, or we get a spell revamp. Three times we've gotten some spell revamps and a couple of spells come out ahead and it propels its caster along for the ride. Firewall, blade barrier, dots, acid rain, maybe on or two others over 13 years have pushed their casters ahead for a small amount of time. Here we are again, a few spells got upped and their at the point where the meles are screaming OVERPOWERED ITS NOT FUN TO BE A MELE WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

WHAT THE FLIP...do you know how fun its been to try and run a sorc at any point for 7 + years.... do you????. Wizard has had pale master for a long time and it comes and goes weather meles are screaming about them being overpowered or not. I'm sure that if sorcs and inquis get nerfed from orbit like these guys with the threads want that the pale master revamp will be the next thing that is making mele not fun to play. Please explain to me why I don't remember seeing ANY OF YOU PEOPLE yelling for the better part of a decade that sorc isn't fun to play and wheres the spell revamp and savant revamp. I don't remember that and I'm guessing that if I go through the posting history of most of the people dumping on sorc or inquis that I wont find many of those type of posts will I?

I love all the inquisitive moaning, you guys want inquisitive to go back to repeater dps. Now let me ask you how many artis or non great x bow rogues do you see running around... not many... and when you do see an arti or here plinkplinkplink I'm gonna go ahead and guess that your reaction is " oh man not one of these".

Please tell me why when things get to tough meles yell and then get things like MELE POWER and ARMOR UP and stuff like that yet casters complain much at all and their told oh you don't have to worry you never get close. I see videos of meles soloing r5, r6, r8. I didn't see much of casters doing that or even thinking about trying that until lately. Why is it ok for a mele to charge in stun a whole group and kill them all in 12 seconds but its not alright for the sorc to do the same thing?

Please explain to me why its alright for meles to call for the first ranged thing to be near the top for the first time in two years and only for about 4 months out of the past 5 years, why is it ok for meles to scream at the top of their lungs to nerf this to oblivion, but the devs take a few percentage points of mele helpless damage (do the mat its only a few percentage points not a loss of like half damage so many people were sceaming about in either massively long thread) and for meles to scream how unfair that was even though it wasn't going to put them anywhere near where casters and ranged have been for years.

You cant explain how the history of this game makes it fair to be mainly a caster or ranged player compared to a mele because every time mele isn't ascendant it doesn't last long, Either something gets nerfed or a new set of gear comes or a new weapon, or a tree revamp or something and mele is right back on top after a few weeks or at most a few months. Realize at the glacially slow pace that these devs make content and revamp trees and such mele power turn around and ascendancy is one of the fastest things that happens in this game.

So mele players heres what the basis of this rant is..... It's not fun to play a mele right now because your not at the top of the power chart and its not fair. Welcome to being a ranged or caster (non palemaster) player. Yeah it kinda sucks being here, but I just want you to know that you don't have to worry about it, we know your only visiting and you wont be here long. You know this to but for some reason YOU CANT SHUT UP ABOUT IT AND SCREAM AND SHOUT THE WHOLE TIME YOUR HERE. Don't worry big daddy SSG knows your not happy and they're gonna make the bad men go away or their going to so overpower their THF revamp that you'll forget all about the bade people with crossbows and the incoming elemental magic. Don't worry about it just keep on playing and just don't play with the nasty mean people you will be on top again before you know it.

Now I have almost always had my sorc as one of my two mains for for 12 years. I am known by my sorc name. This is the first time I can pull out my sorc and not have it be a multi classed shiradi for the first time in many years... YES MANY YEARS... not a few months... many years. This is the first time I've had where it feals good to play a sorc or that it does even enough damage to actually play the thing. You guys will be back on top in a matter of time, why because the power creep will keep going on and sorc has pretty much hit the wall of how what they can do until there another spell pass or they actually make epic spells worth having. So why do I have to come on the boards and every day see more mele guys yelling about sorcs and inquis. What are you not happy that your average party doesn't have the casters in the roles you want them in, your hold bot and heal bot???

You know I think part of it is exactly that, you don't have your hold and heal bots and it seems wrong to meles. I mean historically in this game if you were playing a caster and didn't haste the party, if you didn't come when called so they could use your character their way they got upset. I don't know how many times over the years I've had people cuss me out for not throwing a haste on them if they ran away from the haste, or if I didn't haste them when they wanted, or if I just hasted myself and worried not one bit about the party. I was called a lot of things that would get me banned at 4 am on these boards.

You know I've played my fair share of mele speced divines over the years and got the same treatment when I wasn't watching everyones little red bars and I got blessed out for that many many times to. You know I don't see casters going FIGHTER KILL THAT MOB OVER THERE, NOW THAT ONE RIGHT THERE. and 3 seconds later yelling about what the mele must be doing off in the corner with his mother or a small animal since that mob that he was told to kill wasn't dead yet. That would go over like a brick to the happy pills.

So basically in game if a caster does what he wants and doesn't follow the meles wishes they get verbal stuff thrown at them. Out here if meles feel they're behing caster or ranged at all they throw typed stuff all over them. Its frustrating... sorry its disgusting that so many of the things that meles are yelling about is the exact same stuff meles have been doing for years... mall kill everything fast as can be.... yep meles have been doing it for years. Clear a room in 12 seconds... yep meles been doing that for years. Kill a boss fast as can be... yep being seeing meles do it for years.

So long story short youll be back on top soon enough and there will either be a nerf or thf op or both.... either way CAN WE PLEASE STOP POSTING NEW THREADS EVERY DAY ABOUT THIS.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Opener View Post
    Is blatant the disparity between melees and casters (especially Meteor Swarm Sorcs)!

While a melee needs to be at touch range to do damage and take all the mobs heat, the casters from afar One Shot all mobs to dust without any risk. For exemple in quests packed by 200+ mobs (Newcomers, Black and Blue, ToEE, Reign of Madness, Ravenloft, Sharn) the pace is ridiculous, while a casters blast their way, melees slog killing packs of enemies.

Not all community plays at End Game , some of us just want to play melee at heroics.
    I understand your frustration. "Not being close" is a much better defence than anything melees can get.
    "But, Dire Charge" say the SSG fanboys.
    Yeah, maybe if Dire Charge was available from low level.

Side note, I did a full r3 ravenloft heroic run a life or so ago, joined a couple of meles, I was on my sorc. No inquis in group, and you know something.... I was the one who couldn't keep up with them running ahead and killing everything.... most stuff was dead before my fireballs got anywhere near them...… So I guess based on your generality I'm the worse sorc around... or maybe your generality in your post is I don't know... flawed?? I mean its just a thought that most mobs meles used to blast right through but now somehow theres this magic thing that means they cant any more and only casters can.... that's kind of what Im getting from you post... and I don't think that's quite right there Mr Mele.... the perfect example of the Mele brother right here folks....

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    I understand your frustration. "Not being close" is a much better defence than anything melees can get.
    "But, Dire Charge" say the SSG fanboys.
    Yeah, maybe if Dire Charge was available from low level.
    maybe if meteor swarm was available from low level..... you know mele fanboys...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedHandofDeath View Post
    Side note, I did a full r3 ravenloft heroic run a life or so ago, joined a couple of meles, I was on my sorc. No inquis in group, and you know something.... I was the one who couldn't keep up with them running ahead and killing everything.... most stuff was dead before my fireballs got anywhere near them...… So I guess based on your generality I'm the worse sorc around... or maybe your generality in your post is I don't know... flawed?? I mean its just a thought that most mobs meles used to blast right through but now somehow theres this magic thing that means they cant any more and only casters can.... that's kind of what Im getting from you post... and I don't think that's quite right there Mr Mele.... the perfect example of the Mele brother right here folks....
    So, you created this account today, just to rant on people ranting about Melee (Melee has to EEs) being under-powered and a PITA to play solo?

So, you created this account today, just to rant on people ranting about Melee (Melee has to EEs) being under-powered and a PITA to play solo?
    So MELEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE weren't underpowered before the spell pass or before inquisitors, but now that something has leaped them for whatever small amount of time it exists they're now underpowered..... so If meleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee are not the most powerful they are underpowered.... no mater what level we're at... underpowered...… hmm..... did you read my long rant post????hmm??? isn't this what I said happens every time.... yep every time....and yet here we are again with another one... uhg...

Community Member

So MELEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE weren't underpowered before the spell pass or before inquisitors, but now that something has leaped them for whatever small amount of time it exists they're now underpowered..... so If meleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee are not the most powerful they are underpowered.... no mater what level we're at... underpowered...… hmm..... did you read my long rant post????hmm??? isn't this what I said happens every time.... yep every time....and yet here we are again with another one... uhg...
    Sorry man but obviously you're another player that hasn't done your homework properly. You probably play a caster or an Inq build and you fear that they will nerf your pew pew. So listen, why don't you play a melee class and see for yourself? Why don't you make a fighter or barbarian or paladin and try to do , let's say r4 end game quests by yourself?

Because casters and inquisitor builds can do that without making too much effort with gear and past lives.

So please stop writing litanies and do your homework well before you write again.
    cheers.

Community Member

Really another one of these already?? You realize that at almost all other time its a blatant disparity between meles and casters, alright lets look at your posting history to see if you have complained about that?? Oh no I don't see any posts from you from like a year ago saying oh sorcs or so under powered, when are you going to buff them. I'm also going to guess if this account was that old I wouldn't find it anyway. So I said I was going to repost my rant in every one of these threads so here we go....

Whats ironic is mele centric players yelling about a caster being ahead of them again for the first time in a while.... It always happens..…. come players gather around as I tell you a little bit about a boy named mele and his adopted brothers ranged and caster.....

So I don't think I need to tell you their about their whole lives, maybe just summarize it a bit and tell you about some incidents between mele and his brothers. Se mele is the trueborn son of Ms. Dee Do and Mr. Bine. A few years ago Mr. Bine left them and his brother Mr. Stone came in and took over for the boys with Ms Do. See Mele being the true born son is usually given the best toys, his adopted brothers don't get quite as much to play with, but they try to be happy that they get to play much at all with Mele around.

You see mostly any time Ranged or Caster gets a new toy, or even one of their old toys fixed and shinned up really nice, the actually start to have more fun. Now Mele as soon as he becomes aware of this starts to realize that one of them might actually have more fun than him, and to Mele this just isn't right. Mele knows he has to fix this or his brothers might get his parents attention and possibly become the favorite. This just isn't the case, Mele is the true son and will never be thrown aside for his brothers, but mele is to self absorbed to see this and goes into his normal routine.

Once Mele realizes that one of the other brother is having fun playing with their new toys in HIS YARD his plan goes into action. First he starts to pout and wine to his mom and dad about how Ranged or Caster is out there in the yard having fun in the yard and theres no room out there for him to play. When mom and dad look outside they see plenty of room for him to play beside his brothers so they just ignore him. He then moves onto full blown crying and racking sobs about how he'll never be able to play out there again after they're done because they will have torn everything up. His parents once again know that he is just making things up for attention.

After this fails he'll go outside and grab the new toy from his brothers and start running all over the yard with it, smashing it into trees, into moms flower bed, into the car... heck a few ties he's even thrown it through the window of the house. Now when mom and dad come lookin and find all the destruction caused mele with the new toys, they will have one of two reactions. Mom and Dad will either walk over and break Ranged or Casters new toy infront of them while telling them that they shouldn't have treated mele so bad, or mom will pick up Mele and tell him its alright, they didn't realize how bad it was and they'll take him to the store right now and get him a whole bunch of new toys only for him. What mom and dad don't see as they're walking to the car coddling Mele is that hes looking over his moms shoulder with a Cheshire cat grin and flipping the middle finger to Caster and Ranged.

This is what mele does all the time. When Caster got his new toy Warlock a few years ago. Mele got so jealous that one or two toys in the new Warlock toy set we're a little shinier and a little nicer than his. What did he do, cried and bashed enough things that mom and dad had to come outside break some of the Warlock toys infront of the brothers just to keep Mele from acting out. Mele kept acting out though, he couldn't believe that Warlock still looked just a little more fun than some of his toys, so mom and dad came back out and broke some more of the Warlock play set and took Mele to the store for some new playset parts for some of his toys since his new outfits for ranger were starting to get a little old.

Back when mom and dad decided to expand the yard the first time a little bit, to celebrate they got Mele, Ranged, and Caster a giant new jungle gym set for the yard, they got it from a company called Epic Destiny. When they were talking about ordering it Mele was hopping in excitement yelling MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME. Mom and dad knew they were going to have a problem so out of the 12 piece set they made sure to order half of the set pretty much exclusively for Mele because they knew how he was. Well when the set arrived and they installed it, Mele took over a couple of other pieces so that Mele had 8 pieces that he considered his, but grumbled a lot because he couldn't really use the other piece, 3 of which it seemed we're made for Caster, and one for Ranged. Though even this was not to be as the one part of the play set that Ranged could use was more fun for Caster to use. Mele noticed this though and he could not STAND that Ranged had found something that was almost as fun as a couple of his new rides. He screamed at mom and dad over and over about it and finally they came out and took off the top most slide on this piece of the equipment. This satisfied Mele not at all, and they just kept taking pieces off until Mele was satisfied that Caster couldn't have much fun with it any more.

You see this happens over and over again with Mele, Ranged, and Caster. Caster was once gotten this thing they called DOTS. Caster played with DOTS a lot and Mele got very very bent out of shape. Mele yelled and yelled at mom and dad about this, but mom and dad we're busy with work so DOTS were played with for longer than anything Caster had ever really had a chance to play with and Mele great more and more bitter. Until a new playset arrived for the boys. The playset was called Epic. Mele loved to play with epic, but epic was a big set and tough for mele to play with by himself sometimes. There were time where he had to call for his brother Caster to come help him play. But Caster only got to do one thing with those toys in the beginning. Mele told caster "here HOLD this". That was all caster was allowed to do was HOLD it.

Eventually one of casters toy set called pale master came to work well with some of the Epic toys. Caster had fun with this, but of course Mele just had to yell and scream that it wasn't fair that someone else was having fun besides him. You see ladies and gentlemen this is the story of the brothers. This is as the story has always been with the brothers and ever shall be. I wish I could tell you about the time where Mele saw his brothers outside as they sat their with their old toys being bored, not able to have the fun Mele was having. I wish I could tell you that Mele went to his parents and said "Mom, dad. They need some new toys, lets go get them some so they can have more fun than me for once." Sorry but the truth of that is that Mele looked at his brothers and then went inside to yell at his parents that part of one of his toy sets called Twohanded was broke and no fun to play with.

That above is what mele centric players on these boards ALWAYS do. I mean ALWAYS. Now I have played this game on and off since the day it released. I have not been here continuously though 13 years, but its safe to say I've been playing atleast part time for between 8 and 10 of those 13. I have seen the see saw of this game balance wise over the years constantly. I remember when this game started and casters were so under powered they were buff and haste bots and nothing more. I remember when we got firewall and blade barrier and some spell power changes and casters in general rose above mele for a few months I remember a forum thread where people were discussing why would they take a caster along for anything at all.

I remember when dots were introduced and mele players lost their minds. I remember 5 sorc manning Harry and people screaming about the op casters. I remember epic and the only thing you got to do on a caster with level 20 epic was hold things and swing a woo-woo stick. I remember Epic Destinies coming along and that being the end of sorcs for years. This is the first time since before epic destinies that damage sorcs are being played a lot.... Do you people who are yelling about sorcs being op even realize that.... it has been MORE THAN SEVEN FLIPPIN YEARS since any part of sorc was any part of ascendant. Looking at the volume of you guys on here right now, I can only imagine what happens when we hit seven months.

I'm calling back to casters, but ranged is treated the same, about the only two times I recall ranged becoming ascendant were monkchers and shuri tossers during ravenloft launch. Mele players screamed enough about that to get them to nerf the one weapon that had them far ahead, and to nerf the ability shuris were using for mele power. Today where does shuri chucker stand... not very high at all on the pecking order. Of course they also yelled and screamed about monks and they were nerfed so far that I don't even see monks running around today.

What people screaming about Sorcs and Inquis seem to forget is the devs don't nerf with a feather, they nerf with a hammer. Warlock and Shiradi spammer are case number 1 and two there. Both nerfed into oblivion because mele centric players wined and moaned on here. Now as much as I loved my shiradi wild mage because I like wild mages, I'll be the first to admit that the permadots needed to go from shiradi. Meles just couldn't leave it alone though and got them nerfed 4 more times to the point that shiradis became almost extinct until one specific build that took advantage of a bug with meta magics took over and revived shiradi until reaper came along. Only two warlock builds were ever epic powered and Meles got them nered to the point that Warlock is still a decent heroic leveler, but they got blasted so hard that you don't see them in epic/Legendary much at all.

There is so much I could say about this and the history of this game, but this is history being repeated over and over again. Mele's have gotten more revamps in the game and more bones thrown to them then casters and ranged could ever think of. Do you realize that in the 13 years of this game, casters have been ascendant over mele for about 6 months total (I mean all casters over all mele at the same time). Do you realize that????? One caster class or sub set of that class can become ascendant over mele once in a while when the stars align, or we get a spell revamp. Three times we've gotten some spell revamps and a couple of spells come out ahead and it propels its caster along for the ride. Firewall, blade barrier, dots, acid rain, maybe on or two others over 13 years have pushed their casters ahead for a small amount of time. Here we are again, a few spells got upped and their at the point where the meles are screaming OVERPOWERED ITS NOT FUN TO BE A MELE WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

WHAT THE FLIP...do you know how fun its been to try and run a sorc at any point for 7 + years.... do you????. Wizard has had pale master for a long time and it comes and goes weather meles are screaming about them being overpowered or not. I'm sure that if sorcs and inquis get nerfed from orbit like these guys with the threads want that the pale master revamp will be the next thing that is making mele not fun to play. Please explain to me why I don't remember seeing ANY OF YOU PEOPLE yelling for the better part of a decade that sorc isn't fun to play and wheres the spell revamp and savant revamp. I don't remember that and I'm guessing that if I go through the posting history of most of the people dumping on sorc or inquis that I wont find many of those type of posts will I?

I love all the inquisitive moaning, you guys want inquisitive to go back to repeater dps. Now let me ask you how many artis or non great x bow rogues do you see running around... not many... and when you do see an arti or here plinkplinkplink I'm gonna go ahead and guess that your reaction is " oh man not one of these".

Please tell me why when things get to tough meles yell and then get things like MELE POWER and ARMOR UP and stuff like that yet casters complain much at all and their told oh you don't have to worry you never get close. I see videos of meles soloing r5, r6, r8. I didn't see much of casters doing that or even thinking about trying that until lately. Why is it ok for a mele to charge in stun a whole group and kill them all in 12 seconds but its not alright for the sorc to do the same thing?

Please explain to me why its alright for meles to call for the first ranged thing to be near the top for the first time in two years and only for about 4 months out of the past 5 years, why is it ok for meles to scream at the top of their lungs to nerf this to oblivion, but the devs take a few percentage points of mele helpless damage (do the mat its only a few percentage points not a loss of like half damage so many people were sceaming about in either massively long thread) and for meles to scream how unfair that was even though it wasn't going to put them anywhere near where casters and ranged have been for years.

You cant explain how the history of this game makes it fair to be mainly a caster or ranged player compared to a mele because every time mele isn't ascendant it doesn't last long, Either something gets nerfed or a new set of gear comes or a new weapon, or a tree revamp or something and mele is right back on top after a few weeks or at most a few months. Realize at the glacially slow pace that these devs make content and revamp trees and such mele power turn around and ascendancy is one of the fastest things that happens in this game.

So mele players heres what the basis of this rant is..... It's not fun to play a mele right now because your not at the top of the power chart and its not fair. Welcome to being a ranged or caster (non palemaster) player. Yeah it kinda sucks being here, but I just want you to know that you don't have to worry about it, we know your only visiting and you wont be here long. You know this to but for some reason YOU CANT SHUT UP ABOUT IT AND SCREAM AND SHOUT THE WHOLE TIME YOUR HERE. Don't worry big daddy SSG knows your not happy and they're gonna make the bad men go away or their going to so overpower their THF revamp that you'll forget all about the bade people with crossbows and the incoming elemental magic. Don't worry about it just keep on playing and just don't play with the nasty mean people you will be on top again before you know it.

Now I have almost always had my sorc as one of my two mains for for 12 years. I am known by my sorc name. This is the first time I can pull out my sorc and not have it be a multi classed shiradi for the first time in many years... YES MANY YEARS... not a few months... many years. This is the first time I've had where it feals good to play a sorc or that it does even enough damage to actually play the thing. You guys will be back on top in a matter of time, why because the power creep will keep going on and sorc has pretty much hit the wall of how what they can do until there another spell pass or they actually make epic spells worth having. So why do I have to come on the boards and every day see more mele guys yelling about sorcs and inquis. What are you not happy that your average party doesn't have the casters in the roles you want them in, your hold bot and heal bot???

You know I think part of it is exactly that, you don't have your hold and heal bots and it seems wrong to meles. I mean historically in this game if you were playing a caster and didn't haste the party, if you didn't come when called so they could use your character their way they got upset. I don't know how many times over the years I've had people cuss me out for not throwing a haste on them if they ran away from the haste, or if I didn't haste them when they wanted, or if I just hasted myself and worried not one bit about the party. I was called a lot of things that would get me banned at 4 am on these boards.

You know I've played my fair share of mele speced divines over the years and got the same treatment when I wasn't watching everyones little red bars and I got blessed out for that many many times to. You know I don't see casters going FIGHTER KILL THAT MOB OVER THERE, NOW THAT ONE RIGHT THERE. and 3 seconds later yelling about what the mele must be doing off in the corner with his mother or a small animal since that mob that he was told to kill wasn't dead yet. That would go over like a brick to the happy pills.

So basically in game if a caster does what he wants and doesn't follow the meles wishes they get verbal stuff thrown at them. Out here if meles feel they're behing caster or ranged at all they throw typed stuff all over them. Its frustrating... sorry its disgusting that so many of the things that meles are yelling about is the exact same stuff meles have been doing for years... mall kill everything fast as can be.... yep meles have been doing it for years. Clear a room in 12 seconds... yep meles been doing that for years. Kill a boss fast as can be... yep being seeing meles do it for years.

So long story short youll be back on top soon enough and there will either be a nerf or thf op or both.... either way CAN WE PLEASE STOP POSTING NEW THREADS EVERY DAY ABOUT THIS.
    So whos the 1 ranting lol

DDO forums should bronze this and put this as a starter page with the line ... If you can read through this, you may now enter. All others have been forewarned. Many have died along the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachomammashouse View Post
    The devs got bamboozled by the forum warriors.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorrd View Post
    DDO forums should bronze this and put this as a starter page with the line ... If you can read through this, you may now enter. All others have been forewarned. Many have died along the way.
    It's over the top, but not wrong. I really like ranged play. Ranged was the red-headed-step-child of DDO for a long time. Total garbage tier dps. Mostly only exploits were viable. Repeaters with AA imbues, not as strong a melee but playable. PK gxbows. Shuri that benefited from stat inflation and the same ability stacking from expertise and ninja, still not the best... just best ranged. Unintended synergy like fury shots, shocking they didn't take those away.

Everything is OP right now. Sorc just shines because it's best aoe. Inquis because you can hit things from far away. I don't know how you balance the safety of having range, but having 20% of the DPS of a melee just means those classes get excluded from all parties, remember those days? you have a bow = remove party member. Casters should be balanced by resources, but that's been washed away with all the SLAs and power creep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Have you ever played Dungeons and Dragons? The Versions that that core rules of DDO is based on?
    That is why melee will always be not keeping up.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member

Default SSG isn't good at balance.

This games life has constantly had casters, ranged, and melee always in a flux of one being top tier and the others totally useless in comparison.

From the old days of shrouds made entirely of melees and 1 arcane for buffs, to the furyshotter and shiradi sorc era, to auralocks, to shurithrowers, to monks to wolfs, assassins, and tempests to the modern era of PM/Sorc/Inq/Wolf doing 80k dps deleting whole rooms of mobs and the next build down ding 1/10th the damage.

It always feels like SSG is 6 months behind the playerbase and always overbuffs or overnerfs things (oh everyone says casters are weak, lets buff heroics spells, then lets buff caster destinies hard (while nerfing LD) and reduce reaper penalty on spells and ranged when just the last one).

or with the horrible duality (haha I'm hilarious) of monks either being awful or #1 builds, "oh monks are weak lets give them some nice handwraps... oh no the wraps are too strong now nerf monks, and then nerf the handwraps too, and then nerf stick monks for no reason, and then release falconry which makes monks good again so nerf them again too."

You know that once they want to sell something else over inquisitive it's getting totally Gutted, will they do something reasonable like reduce doubleshot scaling from 100% to 33-50% to mirror repeaters? maybe, but then they'll also make them fire 50% slower, make them not scale with ranged power, and reduce your maximum health by 40% while wielding a crossbow.

The Idea of making small changes slowly over several patches and reevaluating the need for future changes after each one is lost on most game devs and SSGs is no exception.

Thumbs up And the answer is...

Flavour.

Caster dps has been in the toilet for years ok and they pay for everything

blame inquisitors and you don't remember

THE MORTAL FEAR ERA every damn melee ranged and there pets rocking it all bosses first week
    Last edited by mr420247; 09-17-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    Damonz Cannith

maybe if meteor swarm was available from low level..... you know mele fanboys...
    When a fireball does the trick why would this apply?

This is nothing new btw, fireball and some SLAs are already instant kill at low level, well before the current revamp.

This is why the "you got dire charge at 29 so they cant buff you from 1-28" logic fails.

I wish they would give melees cc heroic like a levl 3 feat would fix alot of balance problems heroics anyways

Giantstomp no helpless just aoe stun barbs and melees would have fun with it and reapers wouldnt be that bad if it worked on them too
    Damonz Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by mr420247 View Post
    I wish they would give melees cc heroic like a levl 3 feat would fix alot of balance problems heroics anyways

Giantstomp no helpless just aoe stun barbs and melees would have fun with it and reapers wouldnt be that bad if it worked on them too
    Id settle for lowering the CD on stunning blow and removing the nerf of glancing blows in THF. They can continue to tune it from there.

Its one thing to be standing in melee range of mobs that can 1-2 hit you, but having to stand still to get full DPS is asking for character death.

No fvs have soundburst aoe lvl 2 melees should have 1 aoe cc ability levl 3

Doesn't need helpess damage or shield bash fixes just to fix them for this stupid reaper ****
    Damonz Cannith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Way too many walls of text here in a forum thread that covers a topic that is being rehashed every day.... any chance of a TLDR?
    BTW Melee in D&D has always been on the short end of the stick. Anyone unhappy with DDO might want to go somewhere else.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast