Community Member

Default First life solo build

Hi everyone,

I am mostly new to the game, played some weeks, leveled some chars a bit. So i mostly like all the playstyles ive found so far. Now i am Looking for an solo build 28pt no tombs nothing else to go from 1 to End without problems and the ability to do some hard/elite too solo without dying every second room,
    There are builds around a lot, warlock for example, but how can a warlock be able to solo through the game without rogue abilities? Most time i die, i die by traps.
    So, is multiclass the solution? How much rogue Levels are needed to find and disarm and open everything? How much, for example, warlock do you loose that way? Or is there a way to do all that without the rogue part?
    i did the quest for silver longbow with my wife last night. we where lvl 7 and 8, we did it on elite to maximise the drop Chance. but, when she didnt find and disable the countless traps in this dungeon, and there where a lot of critical failures, we where busted.

So i am asking for a build or better for the best choice for this Task. Beat the game, and as much as possible of the game, solo.

thx a lot in Advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Gondogar View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am mostly new to the game, played some weeks, leveled some chars a bit. So i mostly like all the playstyles ive found so far. Now i am Looking for an solo build 28pt no tombs nothing else to go from 1 to End without problems and the ability to do some hard/elite too solo without dying every second room,
    There are builds around a lot, warlock for example, but how can a warlock be able to solo through the game without rogue abilities? Most time i die, i die by traps.
    So, is multiclass the solution? How much rogue Levels are needed to find and disarm and open everything? How much, for example, warlock do you loose that way? Or is there a way to do all that without the rogue part?
    i did the quest for silver longbow with my wife last night. we where lvl 7 and 8, we did it on elite to maximise the drop Chance. but, when she didnt find and disable the countless traps in this dungeon, and there where a lot of critical failures, we where busted.

So i am asking for a build or better for the best choice for this Task. Beat the game, and as much as possible of the game, solo.

thx a lot in Advance!

Hey,

I was dying a lot by traps with my Warlock in the beginning, but once you get Feign health and Shining Through going is not a problem.

Splashing 2 rogue is a big loss for Warlocks. The Capstone in each Tree is game changing, so I do not advice it.

I having been doing Racials lifes with this build - https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build - and trap isn't a issue. For low level quests is nice to know where the traps are, but you can Tank it Through if you have enough HP.

Solo most of the content 1 - 20, even tougher quests with lots of traps (Gwylan's Stand, Slavers) and hall packed with mobs (Newcomers, Madness Pack).

If you decide go multiclassing rogue, the ideal is 2 levels of rogue, getting granted evasion and maximize Disable Device, Open Lock, Search and Spot. So, you will need high Intelligence for Points to spend in Skills.
    Have two set of gears - Classe oriented Gear and Trap doing gear (Search, Disable Device, Open Lock swaps).
    Last edited by Potatofasf; 09-16-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    No Signature...

Hi everyone,
    thx a lot in Advance!
    Splashing rogue is one way to overcome traps. It isn't easy but it can be done, even on a first life without skill tomes or ability tomes or PLF. (but they help a lot)
    It is a delicate balance to maintain your trap skills and DC/DPS at the same time.
    I am currently playing a warlock (32 point build) with 2 rogue levels on Hardcore and have been able to do traps on reaper 1 up to level 10 so far.
    I may have to take another rogue level soon to get enough skill points to keep at it.
    For 28 points I would do: CHA 16 Con 14 Dex 14 INT 12 WIS 12 STR 10. (Tiefling) (or maybe INT 14 and STR 8)
    (I don't like dumping stats or using 2 build points for any stat increase.)
    [With a 32 point build I would add +2 int and +2 wis]
    Every ability has a purpose and with only 28 points you don't want to waste any to get an 18 in any one.

With an INT of 12 you get +1 skill points, so probably 3 skill points each level. UMD is important, Spellcraft not so much unless you have extra point.
    I personally like a good jump skill of at least 10 so I take jump at least every other level. (yeah I take jump spell too)
    Disable and search have to be high to be effective. Items for both and the best thief tools available are necessary. You don't want to fail on a roll of 2.

First rule of splashing rogue is to take rogue for your first level - to benefit from the extra skill points. You want to keep search and disable as high as possible. Spot is also nice but you probably will not have enough skill points to keep it high. You will need a good spot item to help find traps.
    Search and disable both benefit from INT so put 12 points into INT and keep an INT item on or in inventory.
    Spot benefits from WIS so equip a WIS item.
    Open lock uses DEX - but this is not an important skill and doesn't need to be high to be effective.
    Obviously you want a CON and CHA item too.
    * Ability bonus comes on even numbers, rounded down. That is to say a 15 and a 14 are effectively the same (except when qualifying for certain feats).

I usually take my second rogue level at level 8. The reason is so I can top off disable and maybe search.
    The evasion is very nice, but be wary or your reflex saves (DEX). Grab a good resistance (saves) item and add a parry or luck bonus if you can.
    (I use 3 of my first 4 reaper points for reflex save bonus)

A skill tome for disable, search or spot is very helpful. An ability tome for INT or DEX is very helpful.
    Cannith Crafted items for search, disable and spot are very effective if you can craft.

For warlock you will want to take the feat spell focus conjuration early on. Also you will want a DC bonus from a Summoning item or Spell focus item that improve your conjuration DC for the WEB and Evards spells. Keep your spell power up with good scepters that have matching power and lore. Grab the free Barovian scepter at 10 from Ravenloft.
    Farm Ravenloft for the Burnscar sash (fire/acid) (and the Beacon of Magic set). That will boost your spell power enough to get through heroics.
    I play exclusively Tainted Scholar to tier 5 in heroics, with (first 12) 14 points in Soul eater to get cone and 4 cores. The extra points can go anywhere you want.

* Heroism grants a +2 morale bonus to skills and saves. Keep a good stock of potions and use them frequently.
    Last edited by hp1055cm; 09-16-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm
    Makes me think that other post was your sock account.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    Incorrect. Post reported.

The best way to over come traps is to know where they are and jump through them with out getting hit. This is how most experienced players handle them on builds that cant get traps (which are usually disabled for the exp bonus not the challenge in most cases).

Without prior knowledge of trap positions the a 2 Rogue splash goes far but cost a sizable chuck of power in content 20+ do to the lack capstone IMO the builds that are the most forgiving of capstone loss for a Rogue Splash are Bard Swashbuckler builds 18/2, 16/2/2, or 12/6/2. Another favorite of mine is 18/2 Wizard/Rogue though its less forgiving of the capstone loss but it has advantage of being INT based making it a very good trapper. There are also probably good Inquisitive builds that have trap skills but I'm not sure about those.

My DEX based Rogue Assassins only start with about 16 INT though I never fail traps within Bravery bonus. Perhaps the following thread might help: Trapping DC rule of thumb?, [Post #3]. Since you claim to be having difficulty with regards to suspected DCs required for "trapping".

If you are new player with a first life Rogue lacking good Search and Disable gear. It means you are likely struggle with Traps on Elite around the teens; if you aren't INT based or heavily "trapping" focused. You will likely have the materials to craft yourself some: +4 Thieves' Tools, that will give you +6 Bonus to the Disable Device roll.

A belated welcome to the game!

Let's start w/ the shorter topic first...

Quote Originally Posted by Potatofasf View Post
    we where lvl 7 and 8, we did it on elite to maximise the drop Chance. but, when she didnt find and disable the countless traps in this dungeon, and there where a lot of critical failures, we where busted.
    That's a Level 9 quest, so it's expected that Level 7-8 alts might fail, esp w/ a 1st-life build! If your trapper was Level 11 (the equiv level of a Level 8 quest +2 for difficulty), I'm sure it would have gone a LOT easier.

o https://ddowiki.com/page/The_Church_and_the_Cult

(OT question - Why do a rogue and a warlock want the Silver Longbow? Rogue should be using Great Crossbows, neh? )

...to go from 1 to End without problems...
    First, let's be clear - ANY 1st-life, 28 point build will have "some" problems - just a fact. Besides the low starting build points, besides the lack of past-life benefits,you simply won't have the good gear that veteran players enjoy. PLUS, as a new(ish) player, you don't know the quests, where the dangerous parts are, how to bypass traps, etc etc.

The ultimate goal is to "have fun" - if you want to be able to crush content at level, if you want to run high Reaper, if you want to lead the kill count, it probably won't happen. So accept that.

But you will be able to finish quests (w/ a Healer hire) and contribute to groups (if not lead the kill count). So let's get you pointed in that direction...

Now, second, before that - what do you mean by "to End"? If you mean to 20, it's a LOT easier (and more appropriate, imo*) than if you mean to 30. For all the above reasons and more.

(* I strongly advise people in your position - new player, 1st real character, 28 point build - to NOT plan to go to 30, not first life. Just too long a march without any experience or gear. Plan to get to 20, TR (or RR), and THEN go to 20 w/ a 34 point build w/ some gear and experience in the bank (and pro'ly an improved build!). HUGE difference, and faster despite the XP bump. It's doable, it's just a very long, tough road.)

Quote Originally Posted by Potatofasf View Post
    Splashing 2 rogue is a big loss for Warlocks. The Capstone in each Tree is game changing, so I do not advise it.
    ONLY true IF you're going to 30! If you're going to 20, then it's only a loss for a couple dozen quests (at the very end of character life, immediately before reincarnating), and meanwhile Trapping + Evasion is a huge boost all the time you're leveling up TO 20 - so def a win overall.

How much rogue Levels are needed to find and disarm and open everything?
    First, you're adding "and open" - which is not the goal. The goal is to survive traps - don't get greedy. (but hold that thought...)

(And, yes, a Rogue Mechanic is a great 28 pt first-character solo-friendly build - but if I'm reading you right, you want to stick to Warlock. And a good choice it is.)

The answer is - minimum 1 Rogue level. In DDO, "trapping" in general is all driven by Skill Totals. If you have high levels of Search and Disarm Trap, you can trap, end of discussion. And you can get full ranks in a skill (as opposed to 1/2 rank/level) once you have any class that has that skill as a "class skill" (here, Rogue or Arti).

The question, then, becomes... "How much Int do I need to keep my core Trapping skills at max?", which is what you'll need to trap reliably.

A Warlock really only needs one skill, Spellcraft (Fiend or GOO - Fey needs Perform, so not strongly recommended for 1st-life) and really wants Concentration. And UMD solves a LOT of problems - so that's 3 skill points. (Jump is also handy, but not "needed" - and you can grab the Jump spell, which is +30 @ Lvl 9.)

A Trapper "needs" Search and Disable Device - that's 4 points/level (since they're cross-class skills). A Trapper ~wants~ Spot, especially for a new player. A vet player knows where 98% of the traps are in the game, so knows to stop short and Search there - you don't enjoy that knowledge, not yet.* So that's another 2 points - +3 from warlock, above, is 9 total.

(* You ~can~ use the Wiki for its detailed dungeon maps - it's slower to see the traps this way, but does solve the problem.

9 skill points/level is a lot for a class that has only 2 points/level - it would require you to max Int (16 build points), put some early level-ups into Int (instead of Cha), AND get very creative with your leveling order. Ugh.

(Now, jumping ahead, since Skill Points are so tight, we can solve the "Open Lock" problem by choosing GOO as our Pact - that includes Knock spell, which will be good for ~most~ locks in the game. So that's done.)

But that doesn't solve the need for a max Int if you're going to take Spot... which is kinda a dealbreaker on a 28 point build.

Working on a build that ~tries~ to fill your request, but, for a new player, I do NOT like that it cannot squeeze in Spot (past starting levels*), but the alternatives were just too ugly to accept. You'll just have to trust to the Wiki, or hires, or other party members to tell you where the traps are. GL. :/

(* To squeeze in Spot, the Warlock part has to make some serious sacrifices - namely, Concentration (decent in low heroics only) and -4 Charisma overall. Also, only an Str 8 for a starting player/character for extra low Encumbrance; that's a diff discussion, but another strike against it.)

If(?) you, personally, feel you can do without Spot (via the Wiki - and sometimes Hires can Spot a trap), then I'll post it. Otherwise, it's not doable, or at least not very pretty. :/

Community Member

Default First things first.....

thank you all very very much for the answers so far. Very nice community!

Silver Longbow was for my ranger. I am following strimtoms Acid arrow build. At lvl 8 he said, silver longbow time! So we went to the quest :-D.
    But i am playing this char only with my wife. So i am in need of an other char for solo play. Thats the reason for this thread!

One Thing that wasnt meant like that, i am not sticky to the warlock. ive only seen some threads like "warlock, best class in game solo r10 with one Hand"
    So i am happy with almost everything, that does the job best.
    i was thinking about going to 30, but only because i dont know anything about it.
    If its easier to go lvl 20 and again, then its ok for me.
    To be honest, i have not really an idea about these past life, 20/30 stuff. Thats also very hard for me to understand. Much threads for new player say about builds, to study the forums. But if you do that, its hard to find builds that work for a real first lifer.
    They use more skill points, 34 build points and more of such Things. its confusing. i am playing mmorpg for a long long time, but ddo is still confusion :-D

Thanx for all help!

thank you all very very much for the answers so far. Very nice community!

Silver Longbow was for my ranger. I am following strimtoms Acid arrow build. At lvl 8 he said, silver longbow time! So we went to the quest :-D.
    But i am playing this char only with my wife. So i am in need of an other char for solo play. Thats the reason for this thread!

One Thing that wasnt meant like that, i am not sticky to the warlock. ive only seen some threads like "warlock, best class in game solo r10 with one Hand"
    i was thinking about going to 30, but only because i dont know anything about it.
    To be honest, i have not really an idea about these past life, 20/30 stuff. Thats also very hard for me to understand. Much threads for new player say about builds, to study the forums. But if you do that, its hard to find builds that work for a real first lifer.
    They use more skill points, 34 build points and more of such Things. its confusing. i am playing mmorpg for a long long time, but ddo is still confusion :-D

Thanx for all help!
    Welcome!

I adapted EllisDee's pale trapper build and have been very happy with it. Pale Master is even better now, and I've adjusted the output from EllisDee's utility to reflect the new enhancements. I would add though that your level range is imo the hardest part of heroics (levels 1-20), and that'll be true for the pale trapper too. At level 8 you can prepare only two of Death Aura, Wall of Fire, Ice Storm, and Negative Energy Burst, all of which are excellent so each level past that is a significant power increase. By 13 you have all four and Necrotic Ray and evasion AND you'll have the PM tree finished, it's all downhill from there.

In terms of enhancements while leveling I would get just the Skeletal Knight from PM, then get Eldritch Knight up to Eldritch Accuracy, then the rest of PM - EllisDee's version uses Archmage for more DC and spell penetration but I found Eldritch Knight's melee bonuses much stronger even solo for mopping up or negative-immune foes, if you're duoing that should be even more productive for you.

Good luck!

Code:
    wizogue
    18/2 Wizard/Rogue
    True Neutral Human

Level Order

1. Rogue . . . . . 6. Wizard. . . . .11. Wizard. . . . .16. Wizard
    2. Wizard . . . . .7. Wizard . . . . 12. Wizard . . . . 17. Wizard
    3. Wizard . . . . .8. Wizard . . . . 13. Wizard . . . . 18. Wizard
    4. Wizard . . . . .9. Rogue . . . . .14. Wizard. . . . .19. Wizard
    5. Wizard . . . . 10. Wizard . . . . 15. Wizard . . . . 20. Wizard

Stats
    . . . . . . . .28pt . . 32pt. . .34pt . . 36pt. . .Level Up
    . . . . . . . .---- . . ----. . .---- . . ----. . .--------
    Strength. . . . 14. . . .14 . . . 15. . . .16 . . . 4: INT
    Dexterity . . . .8. . . . 8 . . . .8. . . . 8 . . . 8: INT
    Constitution. . 12. . . .14 . . . 14. . . .14 . . .12: INT
    Intelligence. . 18. . . .18 . . . 18. . . .18 . . .16: INT
    Wisdom. . . . . 10. . . .12 . . . 12. . . .12 . . .20: INT
    Charisma. . . . .8. . . . 8 . . . .8. . . . 8 . . .24: INT
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .28: INT

Skills
    . . . . . R .W .W .W .W .W .W .W .R. W. W. W. W. W. W. W. W. W. W. W
    . . . . . 1 .2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .8 .9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    . . . . .------------------------------------------------------------
    Concent . 2 .2 .2 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 . . 2. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
    Disable . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
    Search. . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 . . 2 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .23
    Spot. . . 4 .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ . . 5 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .23
    Open Lo . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . 6 . . ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. 1. 1. 1. 1. ½. 17
    Spellcr . 2 . . . .1 .1 .1 .1 .5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1. 12
    Listen. . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
    Bluff . . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
    Balance . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
    Jump. . . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
    Swim. . . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
    Tumble. . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
    Haggle. . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
    . . . . .------------------------------------------------------------
    . . . . .52 .7 .7 .7 .7 .7 .7 .8 14 .8 .8 .8 .8 .8 .8 .9 .9 .9 .9 .9

Feats

.1. . . . : Insightful Reflexes
    .1 Human. : Augment Summoning
    .2 Wizard : Maximize Spell
    .3. . . . : Extend Spell
    .6. . . . : Empower Spell
    .6 Wizard : Heighten Spell
    .9. . . . : Quicken Spell
    12. . . . : Spell Penetration
    12 Wizard : Spell Focus: Necromancy
    15. . . . : Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy
    17 Wizard : Spell Focus: Enchantment
    18. . . . : Greater Spell Penetration
    21 Epic . : 
    24 Epic . : 
    26 Destiny: 
    27 Epic . : 
    28 Destiny: 
    29 Destiny: 
    30 Epic . : 
    30 Legend : 

Enhancements (66 of 80 AP)

Pale Master (37 AP)
    • Dark Reaping, Wraith Form, Undead Shock, Ghost in the Wind, +2 Necromancy DC
      1. Skeletal Knight III, Negative Energy Conduit III, Spell Critical: Negative Energy I
      2. Cloak of Night, Corpsecrafter III, Spell Critical: Negative Energy II
      3. Negative Energy Adept III, Spell Critical: Negative Energy III, Eternal Furor III, Intelligence
      4. Spell Critical: Negative Energy IV, Intelligence
      5. Necromantic Focus, Ascendant Shroud
    Eldritch Knight (Wizard) (29 AP)
    • Eldritch Strike, Spellsword, Imbue the Blade, Subtle Force
      1. Improved Mage Armor III, Arcane Siphon III
      2. Improved Shield III, Mystic Wards III
      3. Arcane Barrier, Eldritch Accuracy, Intelligence
      4. Orb Saves III, Armored Arcana, Intelligence

Ah, that makes perfect sense then. And, yes, the Silver Longbow is GREAT for any bow user.

Yes, I remember the "one hand" comment! (While "eating, practicing calligraphy..." something like that.)

It's true (enough) for advanced players, but for new players... maybe not. Familiarity with the quests (and top gear) is the difference.

A warlock is still strong, but maybe not the best if you're worried about traps.

If(?) you have Artificer, a pure Arti (esp warforged) is great to solo.

A Rogue Mechanic with a vorpal Great Crossbow is another great new player solo build. Only need to go to 18, so Barbarian 1 (for faster kiting while shooting) and/or Fighter 1 (for added Feat at exactly the right level) are recommended.

Here's one that adds Cleric for better self-healing, but it can easily be adapted to another race w/ Barbarian for a little more speed.

To be honest, i have not really an idea about these past life, 20/30 stuff. Thats also very hard for me to understand...
    Here are the basics...

If you go to 20, you get a past-life based on your Class. Go to 20, collect 20 Tokens of the 12, TR, start again with 34 build points and the PL benefit.

If you go to 30, you're dealing with tougher quests and will need higher level gear. (It also means you need access to Epic Destinies, which usually means buying Menace of the Underdark (which should be On Sale this November or December!) You fill out a "Destiny" sphere (which is easy by Level 30), collect 4200 Commendations of Valor (= 42 Heart Seeds - not too hard, Level 30+ quests give 2 each), ER, and then are back at 20.

This gives you an "Epic Past Life" benefit. From there ("back at 20") you can either repeat to 30 with the same build OR do a TR back to 1 (as above) and start over with something new.

In theory(!), going from 20-30 is no diff than going from 1-20, and for some vets it's faster. However, for a new player, especially one with a new toon with no gear, it's MUCH tougher to stay strong enough to survive the quests.

Which is why I strongly suggest a 1st toon reincarnate at 20, which gives the Player (you) more time to understand the Epic game before diving in, and a stronger character when they do.

Community Member

...well, then again...

Any number of classes have been "best" at the time at some point. That tends to change with game updates, without much warning.

Warlock seems to be a bit more technical than some other classes - as do all primary casters to some extent.

The thing with traps and locks is, in a lot of quests you can get a completion just fine without. Pure barbarian with no quest optionals is still "the easy way to do elite difficulty" ... see https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...rven-Barbarian for that. (Bring a hireling before you get the T5 healing enhancements on a barbarian, hirelings are cheaper than potions.)

Now, for max optionals you'll want traps, locks and Dimension Door (some few quests have alternate paths and unclimbable drops or other one-way passages, with different optionals on different paths) ... so, that's a bunch of tradeoffs already. Dimension Door requires either arcane caster or dragonmarked human... (or high Use Magic Device and expensive scrolls and then only at high levels.)

Most locks don't require maxed Open Lock; 4 skill ranks on a Dex-based character or 10 on other-based is good for most locks up to high epics if you can find, buy or or craft reasonably level-appropriate gear. So almost all optionals would mean ddoor not compulsory, Open Lock only some.

The easiest characters to get "most" content would seem to be 1 rogue / 18 ranger / 1 either fighter, wizard or barbarian (I'd go dex-based, either human, elf or halfling; either melee or ranged), 2 rogue / 18 bard (Swashbuckler melee), 2 rogue / 18 wizard (Pale Trapper), or various artificer builds. Once you have 32-point characters you can do a few other things too. I still don't find soloing as a rogue particularly easy...

Ranger trapper splashes are particularly handy with ranger having comparatively many skill points - and Search and Spot are class skills, so don't have to pay extra for those. Particularly as rangers can easily be Dex-based so same stat for saves against traps, attack, damage, defense... and Open Lock.

Then there's the "optimized" character builds but that'll take knowing your own playstyle and may not stay useful after game updates. Like my Tempest Warpriest build from a few years back that is now a lot weaker, thanks to several changes in how various things work (such as ranger Tempest and cleric Warpriest enhancements, particularly Ameliorating Strike).

Oh and then there's the category that can open locks but doesn't do traps. Cast Knock, use half-orc racial Lock Bash, or splash rogue for evasion and locks but don't spend enough on Int to get skill points for both Search and Disable...

Yes, a lot of things will be easier for second life. You get more build points for one thing... and if you get to 1750 favor on the first life, you automatically get a +2 stat tome of your choice; using that with Int means more skill points, and tomes will persist for subsequent lives on that character... 34 build points (second life) and +2 Int tome is about where I'd say a 2 rogue / 18 warlock build starts to look viable.
    Last edited by mna; 09-20-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of a few more DDO players.