Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Probably T5 pm, T4 vkf, at least 6 in ek. You're a melee dagger twf wiz. No AA no mech.

Yeah any racial ap to whatever. Race is an afterthought to most builds.
    In that case I might as well not use helf, gnome or drow would be better.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisAlien View Post
    Does it give free bolts?
    you can scroll them, or 2 ap in inquisitive.

Community Member

In that case I might as well not use helf, gnome or drow would be better.
    If you aren't looking for a helf racial pl then yeah this is generally true for any build. Helf doesn't offer anything especially useful to build around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    you can scroll them, or 2 ap in inquisitive.
    No sharn.

The big attraction of a Fire Sorc is w/ Tiefling, where Fire Spellpower has great synergy w/ the Racial enhancements. Same can be said, if to a lesser degree, w/ +d4 Fire from Dilettante (understanding that +d4 at level 1 is VERY diff from +d4 in mid/high heroics!).

Quote Originally Posted by GramercyRiff View Post
    Air lacks great low level spells. Once you get Ball and Chain Lightning, I prefer Air. The dash too.
    Both Flaming Hands (AoE) and Shocking Grasp (Touch, single target) do the same damage, d6+1/. BH is the clear winner, both re AoE and a (very) short range of effect. The diff is that BH gets a (Reflex) ST for half, and SG doesn't - which can add up, depending on the target.

But the big diff between Fire and Air, imo, is seen at Level 4, when Electric Loop is available, w/ a built-in CC effect. (Fire gets a single-target Bolt spell - bleh.) And meanwhile, Fire spells are burning away the Sorcerer's go-to CC, Web - and now the AoE of Burning Hands is a liability re that.

"BUT!...", I hear some cry, "...Shocking Grasp is Touch range - that's a FAIL!" Agreed, 100%. So...

From Level 1-5 or so, you have so few spells that Quicken is a waste imo - you fire through your rotation, and then got nuthin' except a scepter to wave at your enemies. Take Enarge instead, and Shocking Grasp (both the SLA and the Spell) becomes short-ranged and really nice (and kinda OP for Level 1-3). Once Electric Loop (SLA and spell) is added (@ Lvl 4 or 5), you can stun at long range, before they even see you. Money.

Plus, very little is resistant/immune to electricity in low levels - not true for fire.

Swap Enlarge back out for Quicken whenever you find you have more spells than your rotation can hold (sometime around Level 10-14?).

Bottom line, they can both work, and work well, if in slightly diff ways. It's largely a matter of playstyle, and/or the gear you have handy.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    The big attraction of a Fire Sorc is w/ Tiefling, where Fire Spellpower has great synergy w/ the Racial enhancements. Same can be said, if to a lesser degree, w/ +d4 Fire from Dilettante (understanding that +d4 at level 1 is VERY diff from +d4 in mid/high heroics!).

Both Flaming Hands (AoE) and Shocking Grasp (Touch, single target) do the same damage, d6+1/. BH is the clear winner, both re AoE and a (very) short range of effect. The diff is that BH gets a (Reflex) ST for half, and SG doesn't - which can add up, depending on the target.

But the big diff between Fire and Air, imo, is seen at Level 4, when Electric Loop is available, w/ a built-in CC effect. (Fire gets a single-target Bolt spell - bleh.) And meanwhile, Fire spells are burning away the Sorcerer's go-to CC, Web - and now the AoE of Burning Hands is a liability re that.

"BUT!...", I hear some cry, "...Shocking Grasp is Touch range - that's a FAIL!" Agreed, 100%. So...

From Level 1-5 or so, you have so few spells that Quicken is a waste imo - you fire through your rotation, and then got nuthin' except a scepter to wave at your enemies. Take Enarge instead, and Shocking Grasp (both the SLA and the Spell) becomes short-ranged and really nice (and kinda OP for Level 1-3). Once Electric Loop (SLA and spell) is added (@ Lvl 4 or 5), you can stun at long range, before they even see you. Money.

Plus, very little is resistant/immune to electricity in low levels - not true for fire.

Swap Enlarge back out for Quicken whenever you find you have more spells than your rotation can hold (sometime around Level 10-14?).

Bottom line, they can both work, and work well, if in slightly diff ways. It's largely a matter of playstyle, and/or the gear you have handy.
    Funny you rate loop so high, scorch is amazing in those levels. I like loop as my back up... but scorch is crazy. (scorch, not scorching ray)

A big advantage of the tielfling fire sorc is the AOE immunity removal.

IMO air is only ahead from 10-13. 14 gives DBF, and at 18 meteor is so good, air is left way behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    Funny you rate loop so high, scorch is amazing in those levels. I like loop as my back up... but scorch is crazy. (scorch, not scorching ray)
    Scorch has an unusual AoE that can be very hard to take advantage of, depending on the situation. In halls, money - but out in the open... hit and miss (literally and figuratively). EL is effectively an auto-targeting AoE, much like a 'Locks chain shape, which can even reach around corners. Better for my money most any day.

But, as I said, they're both viable, all depends on playstyle etc.

Community Member

Does it give free bolts?
    Artificer Dilettante means you count as a first level Artificer for scroll usage, which just so happens to mean you always have 100% chance to use them.

Getting from level 1 to 20 didn't take much more than 100 scrolls, and probably less, but I didn't count and refilled once I hit less than 50.

Community Member

Warlock dilly makes the half elf a pretty respectable sorceror or fvs. The extra firebolt damage remains pretty signficant all throughout heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Xgya View Post
    Artificer Dilettante means you count as a first level Artificer for scroll usage, which just so happens to mean you always have 100% chance to use them.

Getting from level 1 to 20 didn't take much more than 100 scrolls, and probably less, but I didn't count and refilled once I hit less than 50.
    Oh is it? Ok then that is a good option, question now is what built, I dont have sharn, or falcon....

Ratcatcher + 41 AP into inquisitive. Splash 6 ranger if you want to grab more dps
    The Shadow Assassin, and all around Miserable Elitist

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Jumper View Post
    Ratcatcher + 41 AP into inquisitive. Splash 6 ranger if you want to grab more dps
    No sharn.

No sharn.
    Sad to hear :C

However never fear! Let Sorc solve your issue!

Slightly more gear intensive, not nearly as point and shoot, but still superbly OP!

Sad to hear :C

However never fear! Let Sorc solve your issue!

Slightly more gear intensive, not nearly as point and shoot, but still superbly OP!
    I thought we established sorc best save for thiefling?

Community Member

Oh is it? Ok then that is a good option, question now is what built, I dont have sharn, or falcon....
    I ended up with 12 AP in Harper, 41 in EK, 27 in PM.

Early levels, early points in Harper. The ranged option is pretty feat-intensive. I didn't take Precise Shot or Precision until much later and didn't really notice. You get nice, free single target damage with crossbow bolts, and when the going gets tough, you have spells to back up on.

Extend is a VERY nice QoL feat to take, it buffs Death Auras, Displacement and the occasional Tenser's Transformation.
    In the end, I started using Knight's Transformation despite the spell range nerf because of the full BaB and the attack speed bonus it gave.
    I just had to remember to use the occasional quickened AoE only when mobs got too close for comfort. (it gets a lot better at level 17, because both Acid Well and Meteor Swarm aren't affected by the range nerf. As far as I've tested, Acid Well simply doesn't check for range. Ever. If you can shoot an arrow at it, Acid Well can reach it. I stopped using Tenser's entirely and relied on Knight's once I got those two)

I went Lich form, but I see some good in going for Wraith. Used a lowbie Vorpal repeater for most of my career - as an EK, the weapon used doesn't matter, only that it's a repeater. I tried switching, but given 80% of my damage was Spellsword procs, changing weapons made little to no difference.

As for equipment, I used the lowbie elemental spell power ring from the Phiarlan chain at first, and switched to Pansophic at level 13. I did have access to some Sharn gear, but no set in there was made with EK in mind, so I ended up using the Artificer medium armor suit. You could keep the Ravenloft caster suit on and not see much of a difference - though that set did make me a lot more resilient than wearing cloth armor.

I thought we established sorc best save for thiefling?
    Sorc OPness is not race dependent.

Horc sorc is amazing (thing of the headbash DC!)

Quote Originally Posted by Xgya View Post
    I ended up with 12 AP in Harper, 41 in EK, 27 in PM.

Early levels, early points in Harper. The ranged option is pretty feat-intensive. I didn't take Precise Shot or Precision until much later and didn't really notice. You get nice, free single target damage with crossbow bolts, and when the going gets tough, you have spells to back up on.

Extend is a VERY nice QoL feat to take, it buffs Death Auras, Displacement and the occasional Tenser's Transformation.
    In the end, I started using Knight's Transformation despite the spell range nerf because of the full BaB and the attack speed bonus it gave.
    I just had to remember to use the occasional quickened AoE only when mobs got too close for comfort. (it gets a lot better at level 17, because both Acid Well and Meteor Swarm aren't affected by the range nerf. As far as I've tested, Acid Well simply doesn't check for range. Ever. If you can shoot an arrow at it, Acid Well can reach it. I stopped using Tenser's entirely and relied on Knight's once I got those two)

I went Lich form, but I see some good in going for Wraith. Used a lowbie Vorpal repeater for most of my career - as an EK, the weapon used doesn't matter, only that it's a repeater. I tried switching, but given 80% of my damage was Spellsword procs, changing weapons made little to no difference.

As for equipment, I used the lowbie elemental spell power ring from the Phiarlan chain at first, and switched to Pansophic at level 13. I did have access to some Sharn gear, but no set in there was made with EK in mind, so I ended up using the Artificer medium armor suit. You could keep the Ravenloft caster suit on and not see much of a difference - though that set did make me a lot more resilient than wearing cloth armor.
    I was thinking of going vampire repeater, constant heals and later on add on energy drain at 6, then add incorp at 9, question is ek first or pm first, then besides the 1st 2 points into dilly, how much to invest into radical tree, Diplomatic Immunity seems worth getting,
    Activate: Reduce physical damage you take by 25% for 60 seconds or until you attack. Until you rest you have -2 Diplomacy (stacks up to 100 times). On a shared cooldown with Half-Elven Social Graces, and your total Diplomacy score must be positive to use this ability. (Cooldown: 2 minutes).
    Dont understand this part though Until you rest you have -2 Diplomacy (stacks up to 100 times)., also dont understand what the helf diplo, imdt, bluff is meant for also.

Assuming 1st 2 points in dilly(4-2), have to wait for level 4 for int hit and damage(2+4+4+2), by level 6 get shroud(2+4), will have skele by then but its pretty weak at that point, so invest up the tree or go straight to ek? I'll definitely invest 1 point in archmage for the 2 sp magic missile (You'll never know when you'll need it and you'll never run out of sp to spam it.) Assuming so, i'll be left with 3 ap at level 7, which direction to go...

Sorc OPness is not race dependent.

Horc sorc is amazing (thing of the headbash DC!)
    But horc max cha is only 16.

Community Member
    Last edited by Tilomere; 09-17-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    No falcon.... Yet....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast