Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by harmlesslarry View Post
    I know I have no life, but its so rare to get a group in this game due to the elite/reaper disparagement that you introduced, where the people with low reaper points and lives have to grind out elite lives while the rest of the people do reaper because they already have them. On top of that its becoming pretty exclusive, with the stronger players keeping to themselves. I cant solo reaper so I cant start an lfm on reaper, and that means no one will join me. Merge the freaking servers already. Seriously. Do you even care about longevity of this game?
    The trick I've used for a very long time is to post an LFM for R1 while getting ready (i.e. clearing bags, posting auctions, etc.) and, if I still have not gotten anyone by the time I am done, I will go into one of the easier quests I still needed to do, possibly with a hireling, and do my best to start working on it even though I know I can not succeed alone. Sometimes I will wipe in the first 5 minutes, but the thing is, while I am going back to rebuff there will still be a clock on my LFM showing that the quest has started and this acts as bait to the people that only join LFM's in progress. I find this works for me the vast majority of the time.

The other thing is to post for a popular quest and once you get a group together say that the next quest will be X, where X is a less popular chain. Once the group is rolling along most people will stay even for less popular content.

Solutions aside though, I feel your pain. I do miss the days of easy to fill groups. Making people so strong that they can solo led to a lot of player avoiding pick up groups. Now though I feel like everyone needs to be powerful enough to solo just so they can play when they wish. It's a double edged sword. I find myself only ever playing two builds (one for racial and epic past lives and one for heroic and iconic past lives that gets slightly tweaked to get whatever heroic life I am looking for) because, whatever I play, needs to be powerful enough to solo or at least carry a group if no one joins that is more powerful than I am.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Requiro View Post
    That's why, they should consider another Permadeath server only for Premiums and F2P. Then servers (VIPs and Premium/f2p ) will compete each other (in new layers of leaderboards). Reset every 6 month.

Good and healthy competition is always good for longevity of the game.
    It's also how you test new content so you don't have accidentally OP stuff you have to nerf. When you have a 3 month recycling server, you release new content exclusively there before adding it to the regular servers. And everyone knows, that it might get changed before it goes to regular servers.

People in the long grind can stay on regular servers and maybe preview the seasonal, people who don't want the grind can play on the seasonal where everyone is starting over every time, and people who want to exploit new broken stuff get to do so without it ever going live. The new stuff keeps the seasonal server occupied and provides a great place for new players to get in on equal progression footing (if not play experience). It would help to have a account based progression to transfer (looking at you RXP), but it's not a must.

You can also have higher drop rates on the seasonal, since there is less time and the old tinfoil hat about new packs will finally be true.

Not just hardcore though, it has to change to keep people interested like:
    Everyone is undead
    no champs
    all champs
    double reaper scaling and rxp
    no dodge, concealment, ghostly, or ac (these effects are converted to a prr bonus, smooth damage curve instead of spiky)
    friendly fire (including self)
    tank up (shields are heavily boosted but have increased spell failure including divine)
    Story Mode (You must complete saga like stories to advance, there is no exp)
    never crit
    always crit
    no named items or crafting
    no reapers, still reaper setting with scaling but no reapers
    one-and-done (chest ransack after one loot and never recovers, maybe make it all btc so this doesn't result in just making lots of characters til you get that one item, big reason to run full groups and pass items)
    every item is unbound
    buff world (base stats times 2, gear and boosts unchanged)
    Last edited by Cantor; 09-16-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    It's also how you test new content so you don't have accidentally OP stuff you have to nerf. When you have a 3 month recycling server, you release new content exclusively there before adding it to the regular servers. And everyone knows, that it might get changed before it goes to regular servers.
    I thought that was Lammania purpose...

Now you said it out loud... I'm starting to thinking VIPs are paying to be Beta Testers!
    No Signature...

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gnarledmaw View Post
    It is. The gamers only recognize power and it is the only goal.
    Personally, I also make Blizzard responsible for that. Blizzard taught a whole generation of gamers that power is everything interesting - that and loot.

Story ? Doesn't matter.

You can see it also by so many people playing other games in which the Rise To Power is the main thing. Racing games, GTA games, shooter games, Battle Baron ... (Battle Baron is my personal term for something called a British Royal Battle Game ... Arr, I just LOVE twisting titles I don't like ! )

A whole generation has learned that there is nothing important than power - and Gangsta Rappers are helping them believing in powah, too ...
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Quote Originally Posted by gnarledmaw View Post
    **snip**
    Where youre getting confused is in understanding that there are generally two very different groups of players left, the gamers and the DnD players. [... etc]
    So many good points and so much truth to gnarled's post. There's a group of people playing this game who couldn't care less about xp/min and just play to enjoy the journey. The game stays fresh that way. Every life is a little different. Every quest can be anything from standard to interesting to funny as hell in the right group. If your goal is power, all games become tired and boring. If your goal is entertainment, this game provides ways to make your own entertainment, solo or in a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Personally, I also make Blizzard responsible for that. Blizzard taught a whole generation of gamers that power is everything interesting - that and loot.

Story ? Doesn't matter.

You can see it also by so many people playing other games in which the Rise To Power is the main thing. Racing games, GTA games, shooter games, Battle Baron ... (Battle Baron is my personal term for something called a British Royal Battle Game ... Arr, I just LOVE twisting titles I don't like ! )

A whole generation has learned that there is nothing important than power - and Gangsta Rappers are helping them believing in powah, too ...
    I agree, most don't see that there are many ways to improve the party's power that would greatly out shadow the individual power growth. This is something that I believe many DnD players still bring with them. And why many of those groups accomplish goals the "gamer" thinks requires X lives to be able to "contribute"

I believe many who ventured onto the HC server have gained an eye opening experience as I think a good portion have never experienced death being such a penalty or maybe have forgotten the time when death was actively avoided.

I personally like knowing there is a risk of failure, it makes the victory sweeter.

Back when I used to play PnP, we would rotate who would DM for the session. So sometimes a DM might give out a nice reward. Slowly, over time the players had a huge number of magic items, and everyone was overpowered. It's fun to get a cool new toy, but after a while this made the game stop being as fun as it wasn't as much of a challenge any longer.

So the solution was to have a reset every so often. Sometimes this was starting over with fresh new characters, but sometimes it was just dialing things back a bit. My favorite reset was the extra trap room that I added to White Plume Mountain while I was DMing it. This dropped the party into a vat of acid! This wasn't so much to kill the party off, but to kill their gear. In doing some research in the Dungeon Masters Guide (2nd edition), I found that acid was the lowest saving for items of most material types. "Oh no!" you're thinking! Oh, Yes! Everyone took some damage and survived, but then much to their horror once they were out of the acid I had everyone make saving throws for all of their equipment! Magic items were melted into nothing left and right. There was a lot of anguish and complaints! To be fair I also nerfed myself by having my portable hole with almost all of my stuff in it miss it's saving throw, and it all went poof, and was never seen again!

When the dust settled, and everyone got over being upset, over the next couple of sessions we realized that the game was fun again! Every time we came across a challenge or obstacle we couldn't just pull out some magic item to solve the problem. Instead we had to use our wits, hope for good rolls, and use whatever tools we had left. We realized that all of that power we had was actually making the game not fun any longer. DDO doesn't necessarily need a clean slate. The hardcore server is fun, but that will get old after a while. Instead, DDO is in dire need of a dip in some acid to reset things a bit.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post
    Back when I used to play PnP, we would rotate who would DM for the session. So sometimes a DM might give out a nice reward. Slowly, over time the players had a huge number of magic items, and everyone was overpowered. It's fun to get a cool new toy, but after a while this made the game stop being as fun as it wasn't as much of a challenge any longer.

So the solution was to have a reset every so often. Sometimes this was starting over with fresh new characters, but sometimes it was just dialing things back a bit. My favorite reset was the extra trap room that I added to White Plume Mountain while I was DMing it. This dropped the party into a vat of acid! This wasn't so much to kill the party off, but to kill their gear. In doing some research in the Dungeon Masters Guide (2nd edition), I found that acid was the lowest saving for items of most material types. "Oh no!" you're thinking! Oh, Yes! Everyone took some damage and survived, but then much to their horror once they were out of the acid I had everyone make saving throws for all of their equipment! Magic items were melted into nothing left and right. There was a lot of anguish and complaints! To be fair I also nerfed myself by having my portable hole with almost all of my stuff in it miss it's saving throw, and it all went poof, and was never seen again!

When the dust settled, and everyone got over being upset, over the next couple of sessions we realized that the game was fun again! Every time we came across a challenge or obstacle we couldn't just pull out some magic item to solve the problem. Instead we had to use our wits, hope for good rolls, and use whatever tools we had left. We realized that all of that power we had was actually making the game not fun any longer. DDO doesn't necessarily need a clean slate. The hardcore server is fun, but that will get old after a while. Instead, DDO is in dire need of a dip in some acid to reset things a bit.
    The Reincarnation system initial intention was that... but, as the power creep escalates the TR system got broken by the Itemization system.

I like how some old games like Dragon Quest (I'm playing DQ XI, right now and enjoying it a lot) the itens had no Level bounded to it, so you know the power comes from the Itemization system and the level progression (Max to 99) is just the Journey to get the itens. It is Honest!

While DDO let's you think the power comes from Level, but in reality the power comes from Itens, but the itens are Level Locked. So, to come where the power is (Level 30) we need to hence/repeat 140+ times the "Journey". Which has become somewhat not fun as stated by the OP.

I'm a huge RPG PnPgamer (Storytelling d20, D&D, Tormenta, Gurps...)... eletronic RPG is a fix while the band is not together. So, I really understand your buddies frustration by the Acidbath and understand why you did it too, and agree with you.
    No Signature...

Community Member

Power does come from items, but that's usually at cap. My TR character is waaaaaay more powerful than a well equipped first life

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post
    Instead, DDO is in dire need of a dip in some acid to reset things a bit.
    And the problem is, when you sell power you pretty much can never roll back or reset without enraging every player that has paid in some form for said power.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithalan View Post
    people playing this game who could care less about xp/min and just play to enjoy the journey. The game stays fresh that way. .
    +1

I belong to a great guild on my home server. I'm the weak link in that group. When we're running together, I'll run on what ever difficulty they are. When Im solo or in pugs, I prefer leet.

After all these years, to me it's still the journey, not the destination.

OP, you're in-between a few demographics. Sounds like you need to take some of the positive advice in this thread, forget the normal forum clutter. and find a play-style that brings back the fun.

Community Member

Default Reaper/Groups

In my experience even a first life toon can absolutely contribute on any difficulty whether it be in the written chat with comedy (charisma check for you pnp folks)

It may be with a well timed heal or you may be a trap focused squishy rogue but you get those traps and that's extra xp for everyone and maybe a lack of death for someone in the group.

It takes time for people to know who you are on a server so post those lfm's for a while and you'll get people to join.

This exclusivity thing people keep mentioning, I don't know what that is, it seems like people who have played a long time have formed static groups and don't need to post lfm's because they have a group of friends they've built up a rapport with.

None of that is bad, they had to start somewhere too, they posted lfm's and built connections with people, they are doing what newer folks have to do too, what other people post about their achievements is the result of that time spent establishing themselves on a server and spending time getting better at it, instead of newer folks being angry about that, maybe it can be better thought of as something to do for themselves, none of that was handed to the folks soloing R10 they worked for it, now it's the OP's turn to go through and build up their connections and experience.

Put up a group, wait however long you want to before you start it yourself, if you can't make it through, figure out what went wrong, make a plan and then fix the approach you took to the quest. Nothing in this game is impossible but it does require some effort.

Don't despair

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12