Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Devs please open your eyes???

Hello,

I've sent multiple messages (also private messges) to various Developers of DDO, had no response whatsoever but they say they always read (doesn't seem to be the truth).

So my question to Devs is where is the balanace right now between ranged/spell/melee classes?

You buffed ranged builds (mostly inquisitive) in such a broken and, sorry for the word - SICK way that melee builds are not playable now. There is just no fun at all.

You gave the inquisitive the fastest number of attacks per second. Even a poor, inexperienced player can make a build that shoots 2x Crossbows with 75% double shot and using NHB (no holds barred) while having tons of side damage from shiradi and over 250 ranged power.
    I have sent the Devs a video where a player does about 250k damage to a target dummy in ONE CLICK!

How is that to melee builds that have to take damage in hand to hand combat vs monsters?

Or for example Steelstar - sorry man but you replied to my post some time ago that you've fixed the zombie speed for ranged ???? REALLY???
    You've lowered the attack speed for ranged by 20% but what you failed to mention and you knew about it is that THIS DOESN'T EFFECT INQUISTIVE XBOW SPEED!!!! Because the crossbow shooting speed is mostly reliant on the reload time not on the actual attack speed so players laugh in your face now running zombie builds and shooting bolts.

So either some of the Devs have some special love for inquisitive builds and they just want them to be insanely OP or there is something seriously wrong with surveying what you've created.

How about fortifiation bypassing? Well guess what - ranged builds bypass a lot more than melee builds (if taken appropriate feats and enhancements while being a rogue or ranger or arti - the most favorable for INQ builds , they get about 30-50% more fortification bypassing then fighters or barbarians or paladins and monks).

How about side skills? Well guess what... Inq builds have access to uncanny or they most often have improved evasion, they don't get hit by traps, they disarm them for 30% bonus in quests, they also have better skills all across the character sheet.

How about HP - ok, so melee builds have more HP! Well... how much more do they have ? 20-25% more! Great... but .... hey that is only making it able to survive like 4-5 hits on reaper 5 end game quests. GUESS WHAT - the Ranged builds don't need to have that health anyway because they are not getting hit at all since they either use Meld (95% dodge) or Uncanny (and have about 80% dodge when using it with all the buffs) or they kill everything before it even makes a single swing at them.
    But wait - there is more!! Not only they don't get hit so often, they just don't get targeted. Well how is that possible? Guess what , they have OP diplomacy that is triggered every few seconds, their gear allows them to make the monsters attack other players through decreased threat.

How about damage output? Well... I will just say that my first Inq build does about 3x better dps than my best melee build and outscores everyone who is not an INQ. Is it because I build poorly? After playing this game for 10 years, I don't think I am doing it wrong.

So what are the weak sides of INQ builds? anyone?

My first inq build has about 2.3k hp in reaper, has about 170 prr (mrr not far behind) - and the melee builds have maybe 100 more but it only gives the melees about 5-8% better damage reduction overall (everything over 200 changes very little to defense).
    My saves are 70/98/65 in reaper - which is better than fighters or some other melee classes (with the exception of the paladin).

But some people still say that INQ is not so good overall?? BIG LOL to them.

Oh, last but not least -
    AOE... you just make an inquisitive, take improved precise shot, run backwards and shoot whever is running at you and your bolts hit absolutely everything , starting from the monster that is first in line to the very last one.

SO WHY THE ..... SHOULD WE EVEN PLAY A MELEE???

So I am making this public post to challenge the Devs on these statements and prove me wrong. I hope you guys understand that there is no intention here to insult any of you. I would like you to take a look into the melee/ranged/casting balancing more closely and then I would like you to write a post so everyone could read if you have done anything to correct that mess (because there is no other way for me to call it).

And for those interested, yes - I was always a fan of melee builds but once I got into INQ, I've asked myself (sorry for swearing) - what the f... am I still doing in this game... maxed gear on my melee's , grinded reaper bonuses, all the past lives and some serious dollars spent ...

and then I enter something like Inquisitive (rouge/wiz/arti, or rogue/ranger/arti or just rogue/arti) and blast through reapers harder then ever and I just feel that melee's are worthless now or close to that (maybe they are good meat-bags to throw at the monsters in quests.

PS - maybe there is someone who can teach me how to play melees ?? maybe there is something that I am not understanding ???

Cheers,

really annoyed.

Community Member

They don't care about balance. They only care about selling their over-powered tree.

Dual crossbows is literally the dumbest thing they've ever added to this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alled78 View Post
    Why should i use all my neural cells when i can go inqui and go pew pew pew ???

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom2112 View Post
    They don't care about balance. They only care about selling their over-powered tree.

Maybe they haven't studied psychology enough to find out that they will lose a lot of old customers because of things like that. I also appreciate your reply Kaboom

Another funny thing:

Recently there was a post about balancing that would ask players to write What/Why/How to fix....
    and nobody was putting posts about fighters, barbarians, paladins or other melee builds - you know why??? Because there is so few players running those right now that they don't even write about something they don't currently want to play.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Malusny View Post
    Hello,

I've sent multiple messages (also private messges) to various Developers of DDO, had no response whatsoever but they say they always read (doesn't seem to be the truth).

So my question to Devs is where is the balanace right now between ranged/spell/melee classes?

You buffed ranged builds (mostly inquisitive) in such a broken and, sorry for the word - SICK way that melee builds are not playable now. There is just no fun at all.

You gave the inquisitive the fastest number of attacks per second. Even a poor, inexperienced player can make a build that shoots 2x Crossbows with 75% double shot and using NHB (no holds barred) while having tons of side damage from shiradi and over 250 ranged power.
    I have sent the Devs a video where a player does about 250k damage to a target dummy in ONE CLICK!

How is that to melee builds that have to take damage in hand to hand combat vs monsters?

Or for example Steelstar - sorry man but you replied to my post some time ago that you've fixed the zombie speed for ranged ???? REALLY???
    You've lowered the attack speed for ranged by 20% but what you failed to mention and you knew about it is that THIS DOESN'T EFFECT INQUISTIVE XBOW SPEED!!!! Because the crossbow shooting speed is mostly reliant on the reload time not on the actual attack speed so players laugh in your face now running zombie builds and shooting bolts.

So either some of the Devs have some special love for inquisitive builds and they just want them to be insanely OP or there is something seriously wrong with surveying what you've created.

How about fortifiation bypassing? Well guess what - ranged builds bypass a lot more than melee builds (if taken appropriate feats and enhancements while being a rogue or ranger or arti - the most favorable for INQ builds , they get about 30-50% more fortification bypassing then fighters or barbarians or paladins and monks).

How about side skills? Well guess what... Inq builds have access to uncanny or they most often have improved evasion, they don't get hit by traps, they disarm them for 30% bonus in quests, they also have better skills all across the character sheet.

How about HP - ok, so melee builds have more HP! Well... how much more do they have ? 20-25% more! Great... but .... hey that is only making it able to survive like 4-5 hits on reaper 5 end game quests. GUESS WHAT - the Ranged builds don't need to have that health anyway because they are not getting hit at all since they either use Meld (95% dodge) or Uncanny (and have about 80% dodge when using it with all the buffs) or they kill everything before it even makes a single swing at them.
    But wait - there is more!! Not only they don't get hit so often, they just don't get targeted. Well how is that possible? Guess what , they have OP diplomacy that is triggered every few seconds, their gear allows them to make the monsters attack other players through decreased threat.

How about damage output? Well... I will just say that my first Inq build does about 3x better dps than my best melee build and outscores everyone who is not an INQ. Is it because I build poorly? After playing this game for 10 years, I don't think I am doing it wrong.

My first inq build has about 2.3k hp in reaper, has about 170 prr (mrr not far behind) - and the melee builds have maybe 100 more but it only gives the melees about 5-8% better damage reduction overall (everything over 200 changes very little to defense).
    My saves are 70/98/65 in reaper - which is better than fighters or some other melee classes (with the exception of the paladin).

Oh, last but not least -
    AOE... you just make an inquisitive, take improved precise shot, run backwards and shoot whever is running at you and your bolts hit absolutely everything , starting from the monster that is first in line to the very last one.

So I am making this public post to challenge the Devs on these statements and prove me wrong. I hope you guys understand that there is no intention here to insult any of you. I would like you to take a look into the melee/ranged/casting balancing more closely and then I would like you to write a post so everyone could read if you have done anything to correct that mess (because there is no other way for me to call it).

And for those interested, yes - I was always a fan of melee builds but once I got into INQ, I've asked myself (sorry for swearing) - what the f... am I still doing in this game... maxed gear on my melee's , grinded reaper bonuses, all the past lives and some serious dollars spent ...

and then I enter something like Inquisitive (rouge/wiz/arti, or rogue/ranger/arti or just rogue/arti) and blast through reapers harder then ever and I just feel that melee's are worthless now or close to that (maybe they are good meat-bags to throw at the monsters in quests.

PS - maybe there is someone who can teach me how to play melees ?? maybe there is something that I am not understanding ???

Cheers,

really annoyed.
    I really understand your frustration and dissatisfaction with the actual state of the game, because I think that as well.

Hardly doubt that any SSG representative will respond any of your well placed arguments (no rant... which is very good!!!). Most of the players are aware how Inquisitives are unbalanced and melee are thrash from 1-29 right now, but is the Inquisitive still selling. After Masterminds of Sharn go to Store for points, it is likely to be nerfed and brought to Earth as Warlock was.

In agreement with you and hoping for some SSG feedback.
    Last edited by Potatofasf; 09-15-2019 at 08:32 AM.
    No Signature...

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

Don't worry, after everyone has bought Inquisitive they will nerf it or release something more OP... At least no one cries about Warlock anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Malusny View Post
    Hello,

Oh, last but not least -

Cheers,

really annoyed.
    i strongly disagree

try making a first life toon total first life no reaper points and compare damage

take a journey and keep track of # of times you die on your way to 20 and what killed you
    make a melee and do the same

it is very obvious that things are balance around first life toons with gearing of whats currenetly available.

take a look at HC server look around at the builds that are making it and surviving the best. its not ranged they are to squishy they get aggro they cant handle and ding ding ding goes the trolley. for reaper it is warlocks still king next to wizards thanks to the buffs it just recieved. if you are just heading to 20 or for the 5k favor it is melee but it's not just one type its druid bear, fighter, palli and barbarian in the mixes that is making it through. ranged toons barely ever make it past 10. to bad because their power really comes out at 12 and 15/16

now back to live servers

the stupid power comes from being multi class toons. try to build a pure rouge or arti and look at the damage you are doing with inquisitor look at a pure build of anything with inquisitor it is not as OP as you think.

the OP of it comes from multi class toons. PL, reaper points, low hanging fruit in the enhancement trees.

so many packs have been balanced around first life toons in the newest gear and many of those packs feel like they should be placed 2-3 levels higher then the quests in the same level range.

where would you balance the game at 5 past lives to be viable, how about 10, 20, or 80 pl just to be viable.

at what level of all the power creep placed into this game over the years would you make all players have to attain to be able to play the next level of quests.

any buffs to melee at current status quo would also buff dire charge and they wont do anything that would buff dire charge.

because you folks on the forums won't let dire charge be touched. your precious melee are doomed to be back row class for a very long time.

grow up and start using your brain. melee is balanced at cap on a first life toon in current gear using dire charge next to first life ranged, and first life magic. it is balanced but you guys are to stupid to realize it

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShifterThePirate View Post
    Don't worry, after everyone has bought Inquisitive they will nerf it or release something more OP... At least no one cries about Warlock anymore
    To be fair there are still to this day people claiming auralocks are "op 1 shoting everything in endgame reaper", even though current warlocks are just scuffed sorcs that clear trash at 1/5th the speed but have some temp hp so they're somehow considered not terrible.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Do they exist in the original pen & paper source ?

Quote Originally Posted by bls904c2 View Post
    i strongly disagree

try making a first life toon total first life no reaper points and compare damage

take a journey and keep track of # of times you die on your way to 20 and what killed you

it is very obvious that things are balance around first life toons with gearing of whats currenetly available.
    THe very problem is that people outright assume that there are no first-lifers at all within the game. Thus they don't even have the idea to compare ANYTHING against first-lifers. Also, they believe that first lives are trash anyway. Reaper is the thing to go !!!111eleven Everything should be balanced against Reaper and TR ! The whole game should absolutely GET RID of ANYTHING apart Reaper and TR !

This is what I read here. People so much stuck in their elite Reaper-thinking that they shut down their minds and imagionation against anything that is not Reaper or TR.
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 09-15-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Do they exist in the original pen & paper source ?
    Crossbows have slower rate of fire than bows in PnP (which makes sense). I think hand-crossbows can be fired from both hands in the same round, BUT they will require two hands to reload, which typically takes a move action. This rules out sustaining multiple xbow attacks per round. I'm not sure if there is an Inq PrC in PnP, or some other exotic addition that would change this.

SRD says:
    "You draw a light crossbow back by pulling a lever. Loading a light crossbow is a move action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Normally, operating a light crossbow requires two hands. However, you can shoot, but not load, a light crossbow with one hand at a –2 penalty on attack rolls. You can shoot a light crossbow with each hand, but you take a penalty on attack rolls as if attacking with two light weapons. This penalty is cumulative with the penalty for one-handed firing."

Source: https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Light_Crossbow

The repeater and GXB also fire much faster than in PnP.

Frankly, it's sad that bows, being staples of fantasy RPGs, are so bad compared to various xbows contraptions in modern DDO. The best solution would be to re-normalize all ranged base attack speeds against say 80% of melee and nerf TTS / Many Shot / IPS accordingly.
    Last edited by LurkingVeteran; 09-15-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LurkingVeteran View Post
    Crossbows have slower rate of fire than bows in PnP (which makes sense). I think hand-crossbows can be fired from both hands in the same round, BUT they will require two hands to reload, which typically takes a move action. This rules out sustaining multiple xbow attacks per round. I'm not sure if there is an Inq PrC in PnP, or some other exotic addition that would change this.

SRD says:
    "You draw a light crossbow back by pulling a lever. Loading a light crossbow is a move action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Normally, operating a light crossbow requires two hands. However, you can shoot, but not load, a light crossbow with one hand at a –2 penalty on attack rolls. You can shoot a light crossbow with each hand, but you take a penalty on attack rolls as if attacking with two light weapons. This penalty is cumulative with the penalty for one-handed firing."

Frankly, it's sad that bows, being staples of fantasy RPGs, are so bad compared to various xbows contraptions in modern DDO.
    You can also just drop a fired light crossbow and grab another loaded one from like a bandolier or something. I play in a pirate campaign where an npc has 6 flintlock pistols on his chest and can shoot multiple ones in a single round

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShifterThePirate View Post
    You can also just drop a fired light crossbow and grab another loaded one from like a bandolier or something. I play in a pirate campaign where an npc has 6 flintlock pistols on his chest and can shoot multiple ones in a single round
    Sure, assuming you have Quick Draw I guess, but then you have to spend 3+ rounds reloading them :-)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bls904c2 View Post
    i strongly disagree

take a look at HC server look around at the builds that are making it and surviving the best. its not ranged they are to squishy they get aggro they cant handle and ding ding ding goes the trolley. for reaper it is warlocks still king next to wizards thanks to the buffs it just recieved. if you are just heading to 20 or for the 5k favor it is melee but it's not just one type its druid bear, fighter, palli and barbarian in the mixes that is making it through. ranged toons barely ever make it past 10. to bad because their power really comes out at 12 and 15/16

now back to live servers

the stupid power comes from being multi class toons. try to build a pure rouge or arti and look at the damage you are doing with inquisitor look at a pure build of anything with inquisitor it is not as OP as you think.

the OP of it comes from multi class toons. PL, reaper points, low hanging fruit in the enhancement trees.

so many packs have been balanced around first life toons in the newest gear and many of those packs feel like they should be placed 2-3 levels higher then the quests in the same level range.

where would you balance the game at 5 past lives to be viable, how about 10, 20, or 80 pl just to be viable.

at what level of all the power creep placed into this game over the years would you make all players have to attain to be able to play the next level of quests.

any buffs to melee at current status quo would also buff dire charge and they wont do anything that would buff dire charge.

because you folks on the forums won't let dire charge be touched. your precious melee are doomed to be back row class for a very long time.

grow up and start using your brain. melee is balanced at cap on a first life toon in current gear using dire charge next to first life ranged, and first life magic. it is balanced but you guys are to stupid to realize it
    Keep trying to force the "nerf direcharge to make melees not suck" meme, maybe eventually everyone will play soundburst clerics like you want.

Thumbs up Signed

Completely agree with the OP.

Despite extensive claims by the Devs over the years to address game balance.

They have completely abandoned any attempt at that with recent game direction. Been awful since Sharn.

In the past its been a class that needed balanced. Right now things are so borked it's a whole playstyle that is inferior.

I'm not putting it down to cynicism, more ineptitude. Whatever. It needs fixed.

Result is I've pretty much given up on the game for now. Log in. Check a couple of things. Log out. Is now my standard gameplay.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LurkingVeteran View Post

SRD says:

Frankly, it's sad that bows, being staples of fantasy RPGs, are so bad compared to various xbows contraptions in modern DDO. The best solution would be to re-normalize all ranged base attack speeds against say 80% of melee and nerf TTS / Many Shot / IPS accordingly.

There's a crack in the foundation. Instead of addressing the problem, the devs slapped paste to smooth over the existing hole. When that cracked, they slapped some more paste on top. Then some fancy wallpaper. Then some fancy sparking wallpaper. Then some more paste. Then some pretty wallpaper with rainbow unicorns. Then some more paste.....

There's been so much layering and no real attempt to solve the fundamental issue. Instead they've been making it worse.

It won't be long before people are complaining about how 'easy and boring' the game is, as they solo zerg R10s, and how they 'need a challenge'.

SSG, it is 'your' game. Got plan besides hamster-wheeling the whales?

Community Member

I think it's good that they aren't too scared of adjusting things, it's just that sweeping balance changes like the last few patches need to be closely watched and followed up with tuning. This said regardless of the merit of the claims in this thread. Although Inq attack speed is definitely an outlier, I don't think fixing melee vs. ranged is as easy as just tuning that DPS number though. People will move on to throwers/nukers. One part of the solution might be to buff melee mitigation, because with the currently small mitigation difference between melee and ranged versions of classes, there has to be a large DPS difference in favor of melee for it to be worth it. Another part might be to look at IPS/AoE spells vs. Cleaves, which de-facto are huge DPS multipliers compared to melee AoE.
    Last edited by LurkingVeteran; 09-15-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Default You are right

You are right. The problem is that a sizeable group of the remaining players exclusively plays the META; they just TR into it and call it a day. Hence, balance doesn't really appeal to people that much.

The game is no longer about building and gearing a character to play at cap (end goal of TRs), but rather about doing endless laps on a track that expands now and then.

Congrats to the devs on killing the joy of playing DnD for yet another player.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavoredSoul View Post
    Keep trying to force the "nerf direcharge to make melees not suck" meme, maybe eventually everyone will play soundburst clerics like you want.

i like melee i play melee but i see the issue. you cant buff heroics without it affecting epics. epics gets a buff from buffing heroics. epics melee gets buff it stats increase. the stats increase that then gets into bigger power to dire charge. then dire charge is way to strong. its a 1 goes to 2 goes to 3 goes to 4

level 1 add 1 power
    level 5 add 1 power
    level 10 add 1 power
    level 15 add 1 power
    level 20 add 1 power

at 28 dire charge plus 5 power game breaking mechanic

simple as that.

Community Member

Unhappy

[Please note that these are my views and thoughts and do not invalidate yours if you disagree with them]

I am playing two toons at the moment a Palemaster with one past life and one epic past life and a Drood with Epic completionist and 5 heroic/4 iconic past lives. The difference between them is chalk and cheese, the PM can run quest at a higher difficulty than the drood (for the same level), complete the quests far more quickly and hasn't died a single time (currently lvl21). The drood plods along with very little crowd control and can take an age to clear a room, the PM casts disco ball of death and then nukes the room from orbit, rinse and repeat

Even before the PM update there was no comparison between the two, the PM was far more powerful and had a greater survivability. I am happy to take the PM into a reaper dungeon, but for my drood until I have completed all the divine epic past lives and PDK lives I will have to stay out of reaper or cower in the corner. This wouldn't be so bad if most of the LFMs were for reaper. If you have lots of reaper points you are fine, but woe betide you if you are melee and want to get onto that particular hamster wheel.

I was playing a dungeon on my drood after running the same one on my PM and gave up half way though and logged off - it wasn't worth the hassle. My drood is my main and I have been paying droods long before they became popular (since they came out) and have had to put up with an under powered character (I don't look for uberness and never went for the combat feat hack as it didn't make sense in RP terms ), I would just like a more level playing field.

My PM can easily outheal, out DPS, out CC, out live my drood and so what does my drood actually bring to the party. The game is become more and more like the old quote - "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight" and the thought - "What's the point", keeps coming (more frequently) to mind.

I play games for fun and relaxation, playing a melee is becoming less and less fun.

Bounty Hunter

This thread is even more amusing with harmonica music in the background. Lotsa melee solo reaper videos on YouTube. Use your google skills to improve your game.

Very legit point.

As for the dual crossbows, I 100% agree. It is the absolute biggest boneheaded maneuver I've ever seen with this game.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast