Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Celebrate 10 years of F2P by paying $45 for a mildly remarkable bundle

I am upset. Have been for a while. But it's not an angry upset, it's more of a sad upset.

I have been able to say DDO was my favorite MMO for years. Been around since before the f2p. But for a while now I find myself logging in less frequently than once per week. But the part that has me the saddest I have to say is the limp-wristed events. A lot of our seasonal events seem like they have not had even the slightest update in years. The anniversary events have been increasingly disappointing in the past few years as they have not had anything I would find meaningful added. Not sure they have had anything added at all. From what I am seeing so far, this event deserves to be filed under the 'there was an attempt' subreddit. The rest of the events I've seen for the past few years don't even deserve that much.

Now, yes I do see that Veteran 3 is going active for a week. That doesn't much matter to me, I have iconics. Though I will be pointing that out to a few friends. I see that Path of Inspiration is being given out in 2 weeks, but given that is already included in other bundles, tons of people have it, and it's pretty unpopular, I say that's a pretty limp-wristed giveaway. This whole event just seems pretty minimalistic. The least possible effort to still say there was an event.

I do expect I will be attacked by white knights here soon. One can't have a strong opinion on the internet without something getting angry over it. I expect I will be told I am just being a needy entitled brat. Also that I am just a troll here to hurt the game. No, I want the game to succeed. I have invested well into this game. Up until Masterminds of Sharn I bought every expansion at the highest level, for more than one account. I currently have active VIP.

I want the game to succeed, but when I see limp-wristed event after limp-wristed event it just makes me think and feel that the devs/publishers are putting the least amount of effort into the game anymore. I was around when you could put in a support ticket for a quest bug and have a DM appear next to you within 5 minutes, and that was the norm not the exception. Now we can't even get a new item added to a recycled event once a year.

There was more I wanted to say. A lot more. But this is just too depressing to think about now.

Community Member Retired_Old_Gamer's Avatar
    Everfull Flagon w/ my Eternal Mug of Mead

Quote Originally Posted by kazekamio View Post
    I am upset. Have been for a while.

Now, yes I do see that Veteran 3 is going active for a week. That doesn't much matter to me, I have iconics. Though I will be pointing that out to a few friends. I see that Path of Inspiration is being given out in 2 weeks, but given that is already included in other bundles, tons of people have it, and it's pretty unpopular, I say that's a pretty limp-wristed giveaway. This whole event just seems pretty minimalistic. The least possible effort to still say there was an event.
    To be frank with you (I'm not really frank fyi) It never once in 10 years ever expect to see anything at all for this

In fact it's a total shocker that SSG is celebrating this at all. I don't have anything negative to say about something that's not on anybody's radar. (unless there are players counting the days since the F2P biz model was introduced)

As for your feelings.........

Sig is TBDL. Too busy being not busy.

Sorry what? I was busy hitting the buy button.

Community Member

It actually just made me kind of chuckle.

Celebrating 10 years of free to play. Now, please buy some stuff.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lagin View Post
    To be frank with you (I'm not really frank fyi) It never once in 10 years ever expect to see anything at all for this

In fact it's a total shocker that SSG is celebrating this at all. I don't have anything negative to say about something that's not on anybody's radar. (unless there are players counting the days since the F2P biz model was introduced)
    You are right, in there is little reason to have expected this 'event' or 'celebration' at all really. But my problem isn't that this event existed. It's that this event is following in the trend of all events just being simply pathetic. The cove event, the macabre event, the anniversary events, are all just pathetic the past few years. I actually get better events out of mobile games on my phone.

To be perfectly honest, these events the past few years are so pathetic that I would be less displeased if there were no events at all. When a Gatcha game puts in more effort into events it's just a bad showing. Copy/paste events is.....bah.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNiCd View Post
    It actually just made me kind of chuckle.

Celebrating 10 years of free to play. Now, please buy some stuff.
    Does seem like a joke, doesn't it? Bit of a sarcastic backhand...or a sarcastic backhanded joke.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karthunk View Post
    Sorry what? I was busy hitting the buy button.
    Good for you. I genuinely hope you enjoy it.

Community Member

Does seem like a joke, doesn't it? Bit of a sarcastic backhand...or a sarcastic backhanded joke.
    It’s a decent deal if you don’t already have this stuff, or at least a +6 tome. But, yeah, the irony wasn’t lost on me.

Good for you. I genuinely hope you enjoy it.
    I hope so as well. I also enjoy the thought of keeping the game free to play for others because I can.

Not sure I see the "back handed" attack happening with the deal. The +7 tome cost more than this entire package which includes a +8.

Community Member

90% of players probably had no idea the anniversary was now until they read about the celebration. Now people are complaining that the free stuff isn't up to the expectations they didn't even have until a five minutes before.

It's not that it isn't living up to your expectations - it's that it's not living up to your hopes, but that's not the standard you judge it by.

Now if you wanted to make a broader point that events aren't getting the kind of attention and updates that they probably deserve, you could make an argument. But this anniversary celebration probably isn't a good example to base that argument on.

Plus, 10 free shared bank slots ranks among the better freebies ever handed out...

I am upset. Have been for a while. But it's not an angry upset, it's more of a sad upset.
    I'm feeling both. But continue...

I have been able to say DDO was my favorite MMO for years. Been around since before the f2p. But for a while now I find myself logging in less frequently than once per week. But the part that has me the saddest I have to say is the limp-wristed events. A lot of our seasonal events seem like they have not had even the slightest update in years. The anniversary events have been increasingly disappointing in the past few years as they have not had anything I would find meaningful added. Not sure they have had anything added at all. From what I am seeing so far, this event deserves to be filed under the 'there was an attempt' subreddit. The rest of the events I've seen for the past few years don't even deserve that much.
    Haha, I was going to say "I have to strongly disagree with you" until I typed out the paragraph about the events.

Traveler - There was an attempt, a very poor attempt.
    Winter Games - Some people like it. Most of us just skip it and admire the snow in the Harbor and Eveningstar.
    Mimic - There was an attempt.

Crystal Cove - Ok, players really like this event. I'm not one of them so they get a 1/2 star (from me). Full start from everyone else.

But I love The Anniversary and Mabar.

So 2 of 6 is still a failing grade. 3 of 6 is too...

I guess I agree with you more than I realized after my initial read.

My guess is Path of Inspiration was specifically chosen because of this. It's free and they were not going to give away anything important; it could have been Catacombs

I do expect I will be attacked by white knights here soon. One can't have a strong opinion on the internet without something getting angry over it. I expect I will be told I am just being a needy entitled brat. Also that I am just a troll here to hurt the game. No, I want the game to succeed. I have invested well into this game. Up until Masterminds of Sharn I bought every expansion at the highest level, for more than one account. I currently have active VIP.
    Like I said I was going to "strongly disagree" with you but you made valid points (to me). After the last update I have a feeling we will bleed more players. But that is a topic for another thread.

I want the game to succeed, but when I see limp-wristed event after limp-wristed event it just makes me think and feel that the devs/publishers are putting the least amount of effort into the game anymore. I was around when you could put in a support ticket for a quest bug and have a DM appear next to you within 5 minutes, and that was the norm not the exception. Now we can't even get a new item added to a recycled event once a year.

There was more I wanted to say. A lot more. But this is just too depressing to think about now.
    Think about what you do enjoy. Maybe this is why I was going to initially "strongly disagree with you." I was thinking about what I do enjoy more than the things that are actively irking me. Me personally, SSG does just enough to keep me coming back and their competitors do just enough to prevent me from "jumping ship."
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Thumbs down Nope

Not buying anything else big ticket as am really unhappy with recent game direction. Development has been rotten in my view,. pretty much ever since sub-par Sharn.

I don't think it's worth getting too upset over a game. I do agree that it seems odd that as part of the celebration of 10 years of Free to Play that there's an offer to purchase something, albeit at a discount.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post
    I don't think it's worth getting too upset over a game. I do agree that it seems odd that as part of the celebration of 10 years of Free to Play that there's an offer to purchase something, albeit at a discount.
    +1 Agreed

It's just a bit peculiar. And the discount should be a little bit more... considering how few people would actually wanna shell out 45 for that...
    NONVIOLENCE IS MY NAME. LORE IS MY GAME!

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    90% of players probably had no idea the anniversary was now until they read about the celebration. Now people are complaining that the free stuff isn't up to the expectations they didn't even have until a five minutes before.
    This.

I had no idea it's been 10 years since F2P... Since I've been here before F2P.

Plus, 10 free shared bank slots ranks among the better freebies ever handed out...
    Yep, who complains about free stuff they didn't even expect? Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Is it lame? Yes.
    Do you have to buy anything? No.
    Nothing lost, nothing gained for any party.
    Move on.

Cheers,
    Titus.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

I will probably buy the thing because I would like more bank space and will need a Blood Heart soon anyway.

The tome will help me a lot because I think I only have +4 Tomes across the board and 2 +5 that I got from 5k Favor and one from a raid a long time ago (Fall of Truth I think).

I do wish a Raider's Box with Caught in the Web loot was in it. It is really hard to get that raid done now.

Or maybe the other Raider's Box with "Old loot" in it. I could really use a SoS on my main guy (60+ completions, 2 20 lists...no SoS)

Anyway, I think them putting a Raider's Box wouldn't really cost them anything and would really sweeten the deal.
    "Hireling" and "Hjealer"
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

The listed price in store is 3995 turbine points not $45.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    The listed price in store is 3995 turbine points not $45.
    Forgive me being a smart ass but it is DDO Points. And the value should be around 35$ not 45$, if you go by the ingame shop without double bonus points. But a little exaggeration doesn't hurt anybody, right?!

EDIT: NVM, it is Euros not Dollars. Sorry about that.

Cheers,
    Titus.

Last edited by TitusOvid; 09-13-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

Got to add my voice here.

I'm no white knight but the sense of entitlement here is off the scale. Nobody knew about this until a few days ago, SSG are celebrating something hardly anyone knew was an anniversary and yet the entitled decide the celebration items aren't up to what they think they should be getting and ranting on here.

Sorry, I rarely get angry on forums but really, REALLY??

Words fail..../boggle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast