Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default completionist grinding question

long time player & altaholic here - never had much interested in doing any of the completionist grind until now. I've got a character on his third life and I'm trying to determine what is the best way to move forward. should I finish all of the class based lives before I do the racial ones or is there some other reason to do racial first? just curious on everyone's thoughts! thanks

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by theboyftw View Post
    long time player & altaholic here - never had much interested in doing any of the completionist grind until now. I've got a character on his third life and I'm trying to determine what is the best way to move forward. should I finish all of the class based lives before I do the racial ones or is there some other reason to do racial first? just curious on everyone's thoughts! thanks
    Completing triple Racials gives Stats + skills + up to 14 Action points

Completing triple heroics gives some broad perks as HP from Barbs, Heal Amp from Pallys, Spell Pen from Wiz and FvS... Etc.

Racials gives more usefull AC points to do Heroics more smoothly.

Best advise ever. Dont do them, they are traps for having to do them forever and the overall gain is minimum.

There is no right answer, but here are some thoughts:

Racials lives are easier because you can choose your favorite class, and the extra stats and racial AP past lives are universally useful.

Heroic lives are good, but some are only have situational use. For example, Druid pastlives are really only useful if you intend to use summons.

Epic lives are extremely powerful at low levels, so these will make the leveling process easier.

My advice? Choose a class you enjoy and can level relatively quickly with, and do racials first. However, I would acquire the most useful heroic lives for your chosen class before beginning. For instance, since I used Sorcerer for my racials, it only makes since to have x3 Sorcerer and Wizard lives, which really help your TR journey. Enjoy your journey and have fun! If you're aren't having fun, then don't do it.
    Last edited by ChadB123; 09-12-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Paladin past lives are phenomenal if you can stomach running through 20 levels as a paladin.

other than Paladin, I would only do one of each class life unless you have a specific need for the bonus (like wizard lives on a dc caster, etc).

Cant go wrong with racial lives because more ap is always good. Running a life from 1 to 30 gets you a racial or class life plus a epic life.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by theboyftw View Post
    My two cents? Get one of each class so you can take the completionist feat. Then do any classes that you want the feat from other than ones you plan to snag from iconic. Racial lives give really strong rewards but take much longer to get there. However, heroic doesn't offer as much for triple complete as racial, so it is more lucrative, but having the robust bonuses make them easier.

Epic lives can make things quicker too.
    I primarily play Zunzyne Siegemaker, and am the guild master of Ares Macrotechnology on Ghallanda.
    Reaper Experience Calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ewE/edit#gid=0 (out of date as of U42.4, needs testing for new values)

Default Recommendation

It depends on how you want to grind the completionist. I would definitely recommend doing 3 wizard, 3 sorcerer, 3 cleric, and 3 favored soul for the difficulty check boosts and spell penetration then do all the racials for racial AP which is SUPER GODLY. Though, am too addicted I could finish Racials in probably 4 months if I didn't need epic lives still, smh.
    Inquisitives weren't nerfed, change my mind.
    Proud member of Wacks R Us
    Costume: H: 0 I: 0 R: 1 E: 0 REAPER: 11

Community Member

I'm a super casual and altaholic too - or I would be if alts were more viable out of the box without buying a bunch of unlocks...

I suggest you focus on EPLs first. They're the most individually impactful, and you can grind them a lot smoother, less gear tetris, unlock all your Fate Points as you go, etc.

After that, I suggest you just pretend that Completionist feats simply dont exist. Focus on just the PLs that will help your desired final build. IPLs and HPLs are more front-loaded, where RPLs are backloaded (the third > the first). IPLs also give HPLs at the same time, and arent that much longer than a HPL, and definitely shorter than a 1-30 double PL. Once you filled in all your relevant PLs, then you can decide if you want to fill in the irrelevant ones just for the sake of completioning. At that point, Racial is probably the more useful one to chase (at least that gives you something useful), then fill the rest of your pointless Heroic ones in after that.

Example: I run an Inqui (and before that, a gunner Arti, so dont get on me for bandwagoning lol), so I know I'm only interested in feats that materially help a ranged build. Targeting things like Doubleshot EPL, PDK and Scoundrel IPL, Ranger and Paladin HPL.
    Last edited by droid327; 09-13-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Community Member

Go 1-30 as many times as you need in order to unlock Heroic Completionist. At 30 do a Epic Reincarnation followed by the actual TR. By the time you get Completionist knocked out you'll have 12+ epic past lives also and they are the most powerful in the game.

Easy to decide if it's worth going forward at that point.

I would start doing racial and epic past lives at the same time.

Level up to level 30, then epic reincarnation and go to level 30 again.

Then do epic and racial reincarnation to start a new life from lvl 1.

Repeat until done

I'm in the racial+epic camp per life. As PMChadB123 mentioned above, if you have a favorite class, it makes racials a bit easier in my opinion. However, another piece of advise if you go down this road, mix it up a bit. You can keep the same primary class, but try out different builds/splits. Doing multiple lives with the same build gets BORING.
    Per Cocomajobo - Ranged has easy access to AOE - apparently 3 feats, BAB 11 and Dex 19 is considered easy access these days. post here

Dedicated Teams: be part of a larger community.
    You never hear anyone say: "Yeah, but it's a dry cold."
    Adventurers never forget. Adventurers still hate Coyle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Im with getting completionist done first (with the epics of course... at least Colors of the Queen is my favorite).
    Unless you have already tried out all classes and have a distinct favorite? Somehow the racial past lives seem a lot more grindy… but that is probably because I stick to my favorite classes and slowly get sick of them.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member

I'd do racial + epic (L1-30) to get the epic and racial past lives.
    I'd do iconic (L15-30) to get the iconic and heroic past lives.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vulkoorex View Post
    I'd do racial + epic (L1-30) to get the epic and racial past lives.
    I'd do iconic (L15-30) to get the iconic and heroic past lives.
    This is the best way to do it if you already know the classes. But I very much recommend people run every class up to 30 to get a better idea of playstyles and what's good vs what isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadB123 View Post
    *snip*

For example, Druid pastlives are really only useful if you intend to use summons.

*snip*
    Does that include the Druid's pet Wolf? Asking before I go through the Druid past lives...
    Weiquinn (Ranger 20/Epic 10) Syris (Ranger 18/Rogue 2/Epic 10) Vaconmorte (Ranger 13/Rogue 4) Longthorne (Barbarian 15) Neckron (Ranger 14/Rogue 2) Ryeva (Druid 20/Epic 1) Shandrea (Ranger 7/Rogue 2/Artificer 1) Solegiallo (Cleric 15) Torsade (Paladin 8) Gammor (Barbarian 8) Luceille (Bard 15)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by WeiQuinn View Post
    Does that include the Druid's pet Wolf? Asking before I go through the Druid past lives...
    Yes.
    Inquisitives weren't nerfed, change my mind.
    Proud member of Wacks R Us
    Costume: H: 0 I: 0 R: 1 E: 0 REAPER: 11

my advice:

1. find your "fun" in the process.
    2. If you have a "goal" look towards what helps you achieve that goal first - There are lives that will have minimal effect and some that will be larger leaps.

Also, don't need to stick to one or the other. At times it might be good to mix up a class, race and epic life cycle from time to time. Such as you found you really enjoyed the race, but maybe not so much the class - make that a class life and try the race again with a different class.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeiQuinn View Post
    It does, but it only boosts the wolves an insignificant amount...takes them from "worthless at endgame" to "still worthless at endgame"

The scaling of quest difficulty is much stronger than the scaling of pet power - so adding three Druid PLs is only going to make a marginal difference at the very edge of where pets are good for anything. Like you might be able to run quests on Hard instead of Normal for one level, but by the next level its not worth summoning anymore.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anuulified View Post
    Best advise ever. Dont do them, they are traps for having to do them forever and the overall gain is minimum.
    Hmm... Lots of people post opinions on which hamster wheel to engage. And one player with a 2006 start date and a title of Founder posts this. Should I be asking myself “what does Anuulified know that I do not know”?

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNiCd View Post
    Hmm... Lots of people post opinions on which hamster wheel to engage. And one player with a 2006 start date and a title of Founder posts this. Should I be asking myself “what does Anuulified know that I do not know”?
    Annuulified knows that they are traps for having to do them forever and the overall gain is minimum.

If you're at cap and then think, "Wow, I wish I could play through heroic content again because I enjoy that" then reincarnation is a great choice and these comments can help you pick what to run.

If you're at cap and think, "Wow, I wish I had an extra 18 MRR and 27 AC and 30 healing amp and +4 to all stats and stuff," then don't reincarnate. It's a trap and the benefits you get for the amount of work invested is minimal.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast