Community Member akiraproject24's Avatar

Default Legendary Screamshatter LS

The description on the item seems like a standard lightning strike. The proc animation seems identical to a standard lightning strike. I have combat turned off so haven't checked the damage but no BIG numbers have popped out at me though difficult to catch with an inquisitive build.

I read on the lama forums "Think super big thunderclap" type effect

I don't think that translated into the item.
    ThwartedFhalhaenaWrekkinWrexxMaisterThwarteddHematemesisRhayzedOffensiveReductionShillelahFhalhaena
    Pimpin toons since 2006

Community Member

It's probably like the Thunderclap on the gloves from Nemesis and KT, which was something like 600-700 sonic and electric.

Would you even notice that on a Inquisicheese build?

No surprise.

It is quite clear that the devs do not know anymore what BIG is.

Procs and other effects (cauldron of fire, the bear abilities, and so on) have long been overshadowed by boosted auto attack DPS.

It is a pity, but so much in this game is just pure flavor nowadays.

Community Member

Lack of scaling strikes again...

Any proc that you cant improve with spellpower or mainstat isnt going to be worth anything a few levels past when you can first use it, or in Reaper or even Elite at any point. Even ones that scale with spell/ranged power are questionable if its not at like 400%

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigErkyKid View Post
    No surprise.

It is quite clear that the devs do not know anymore what BIG is.

Procs and other effects (cauldron of fire, the bear abilities, and so on) have long been overshadowed by boosted auto attack DPS.

They know what big is. What they struggle with is where to put it. Inq builds didn't exactly need a weapon with a big proc.

Devs did the same thing with Glass Shards proc for RL. Added a knife tree and then made a raid dagger awful while giving a shuriken, which was already the best throwing option by miles, the big proc effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post
    They know what big is. What they struggle with is where to put it. Inq builds didn't exactly need a weapon with a big proc.

Devs did the same thing with Glass Shards proc for RL. Added a knife tree and then made a raid dagger awful while giving a shuriken, which was already the best throwing option by miles, the big proc effect.
    You are assuming those are designed by the same person, which might not be the case.

I remember when Steelstar called the fire damage of cauldron of fire in HM "punchy"; that's when I gave up on rational discussion with him.

Look now at bear attacks procs, which scale with melee power.

Let's give bear 300 MP, which I thing is generous, but whatever:

5-8 lightning damage per character level (8*30) -- 240*4 = 960
    5 - 10 per Druid level (20*10) -- 300*4 = 1200

May as well not be there, that damage, it is not even a tickle.

One could argue that those abilities also do other things, but truth is if we picked pure damage abilities, such as the new ki attacks from GMoF, the situation is pretty similar.

Assume 300MP, then:

100-160 +10-14 per character level. -- (14*30 + 160)*4 = 2320

And we could go on; it is quite obviously a matter of bad design. They have scaled uncontrolably caster DPS, but use similar scaling formulas for stuff based on melee power (which is much lower). Those abilities can't crit either, whereas all magic abilities can crit. And we know now DPS casters crit close to 100%.

It is just broken.

Community Member

You are assuming those are designed by the same person, which might not be the case.

I remember when Steelstar called the fire damage of cauldron of fire in HM "punchy"; that's when I gave up on rational discussion with him.

Look now at bear attacks procs, which scale with melee power.

Let's give bear 300 MP, which I thing is generous, but whatever:

5-8 lightning damage per character level (8*30) -- 240*4 = 960
    5 - 10 per Druid level (20*10) -- 300*4 = 1200

May as well not be there, that damage, it is not even a tickle.

One could argue that those abilities also do other things, but truth is if we picked pure damage abilities, such as the new ki attacks from GMoF, the situation is pretty similar.

Assume 300MP, then:

100-160 +10-14 per character level. -- (14*30 + 160)*4 = 2320

And we could go on; it is quite obviously a matter of bad design. They have scaled uncontrolably caster DPS, but use similar scaling formulas for stuff based on melee power (which is much lower). Those abilities can't crit either, whereas all magic abilities can crit. And we know now DPS casters crit close to 100%.

It is just broken.
    The problem with the bear isn't even the damage procs. It's that to get the damage you also end up with a metric ton of +threat.

Bear builds are tanky melees, not tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post
    The problem with the bear isn't even the damage procs. It's that to get the damage you also end up with a metric ton of +threat.

Bear builds are tanky melees, not tanks.
    But this is a thread about procs.

Take the mercy execution ability, or the kensei good death, or...

All of them suffer from the exact same problem.

Community Member

But this is a thread about procs.

Take the mercy execution ability, or the kensei good death, or...

All of them suffer from the exact same problem.
    I'm okay with the execute/good death abilities. They're clearly both OP and pointless at the same time during heroic levels where they do so much damage that it's usually enough to outright kill the mob at full health 2x over. At cap it's still a big chunk of bane damage though.

Not saying there aren't a ton of enhancements that don't need a solid update.

I initially misread that name & now can't help but think an item that procs an AoE sonic damage & nauseated effect could actually be a pretty useful thing.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    I initially misread that name & now can't help but think an item that procs an AoE sonic damage & nauseated effect could actually be a pretty useful thing.
    The StankerShockers? ThunderStank?

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    The StankerShockers? ThunderStank?
    The best I've come up with is Fortescue's Thundering Feculator - I think it has a rather wonderful Victorian era feel to the name, could fit with the general magical steampunk Eberron vibe. High impact effect, watch out for the follow-through. Make it a rune arm, permanent What's That Smell? debuff while equipped.
    Last edited by FuzzyDuck81; 09-13-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

What's wrong with to many flavors?

Exactly, there is not wrong with having flavors, its a free game and I'm going to scoop them up for Life!!
    Last edited by LightBear; 09-13-2019 at 06:22 AM.