Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    You can log into the HC server and witness who is sliding into the reward tiers and who isnt. That will show you first life.
    Interesting point, and not a bad one, but looking at the HC server answers a slightly different question, IMO. The HC server rewards durability in a character, among other things. Thus, for example, one might not expect many 'glass cannons' to make it to top, and if we're looking to evaluate the offensive capability of a glass cannon then we might not find an answer through the leader board.

---

A specific version of my general question is, how high up the difficulty scale can a first life DC caster go? Set aside survivability for the moment. Can a first life wizard land DC spells in elite? R1? R10? Where is the break point, and what are the conditions. How many debuffs by the caster are required, if any? How many potentially friendly buffs are required, if any? I didn't ask for specifics earlier, but some were provided. How can a first life wizard hit 135 DCs, a number I've seen bandied about?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Potatofasf View Post
    That! ^^^

Running on Normal/Hard lost it charm on DDO after 2010-2011.
    Is not XP Rewarding
    Is not Loot Rewarding
    Is not Favor Rewarding
    Is not even "know to play the game" Rewarding because you have to re-learn the game to play in Elite/Reaper difficulties.
    This, so much this! The xp and loot disparity between normal/hard/elite/R1 is too high and can turn newer / more casual players off.

For loot: Running more often to get gear at lower difficulties is fine, harder difficulties should be more rewarding. However, 10 -16 -33 is harsh and weekly ransack counts the same whether you loot normal or elite+ chests. Pretty difficult to get a specific piece of gear to drop on hard or lower. It might take months.

Thankfully this is only an issue for epic gear, because at lvl 30 heroic elite isn't a problem anymore.

Personally I just don't farm gear below elite, it's mostly a waste of time. I make a LFM whether I could solo the quest or not and offer to share gear. If I can't solo I just wait with LFM up and farm something else or play another game in another window... still faster than trying to get a specific piece of gear on hard, let alone normal.

For xp: Sure, there is less xp required for HEROIC 1st and 2nd life, so running normal and then hard gives you enough xp. But a 3rd life character isn't suddenly 3x as powerful as a 1st lifer, when elite usually is like 3x as difficult as normal when you have to solo. Being 3x times as powerful solo only comes with "best in slot" gear and (way) more than 2 pastlifes OR if you are very good at action gaming - dodging, kiting, circle-strafing, jump-turn casting, side-stepping spells/arrows, perfect trap jumping and timing. I'm not, so solo I have to do quests at least one difficulty lower than my stats would probably allow.

And epic has high xp requirement right from 1st life. Sure there is lot of xp to get and lots of quests and explorer areas. But after your ~3rd time you probably want to go through quickly to get to the fun legendary content ( sadly, lot of low 20s quests are not very fun or low xp) or TR. Hard streak isn't good enough, let alone normal. So it's slow going with lots of repetition.

Another big problem with only elite+ giving good xp is playing flavor or non DPS builds. They might be really FUN to play but they are horrible to level up, after like lvl 10, unless you are fine with a glacial pace or always have a group.

My way to deal with this, sadly, has been playing less. If I am at a slow level bracket (especially ~17-28) and there is no suitable group or no-one joins my LFMs, I just log off after doing 1-3 quests. I maybe try a few hours later or the next day. For me it's boring to solo, especially if progress is very slow.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pyed-Pyper View Post
    I really wish some things would happen, including (but not limited to):
    SSG needs to stop making philosophical changes to the game for a year or so. During that time, fix bugs and create new content. Improve the player experience with QoL improvements. No more power creep, no more class changes etc., with the goal being to let things settle, let everyone experience the changes. That way the community can engage meaningfully with SSG with everyone being, hopefully, on the same page. Then, maybe, management can either figure out how to fix what's broken with game design, or find someone who can.

Once first life characters are viable, a lot of things fix themselves. New players suddenly can enjoy the game. Maybe someone will try DDO for the first time (and stay). Alts become a thing again. Grouping viability improves.

Otherwise, you're stuck playing field hockey in a game where the refs are constantly awarding you penalty shots but keep moving the goal posts farther away.
    Agreed. In addition, I'd also like to see:

> Make FTC bonus for reaper and elite equal
    > Make gear drop rates for reaper and elite equal

What I predict would happen:

Quests run on reaper would probably fall by about 80%. The people left running R would be:

> The 5% of people who actually want this particular brand of numeric inflation 'challenge'
    > The 15% of people who have ground out enough RP to make lower skulls actually easier than elite

Maybe my made up numbers are off by a little bit, but I bet you'd see skull runs drop significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by BigErkyKid View Post
    SSG,

You have overbuffed casters, they are now excessively powerful and not only they are trivializing content, it has become unfun to play other archetypes along them. Leaving aside INQ, casters currently dominate the most common runs in the game; that is, heroic leveling in low to mid skulls, and epic farming in also low to mid skulls. They might be better balanced for r7 to r10 (still unconvinced), but those are not run of the most common runs in Sharn.

This includes the new PM, that has both amazing survivability and DCs, but also the current sources, which can literally one shot entire rooms. The root of the problem are the current out of whack spell power and spell critical values, and the bloat in DCs.

• It is now completely possibly to have a sorc that cries 100% of the time for around 3x damage, we know have spells that scale well into end game (DBF, meteor), and the draconic abilities can deal massive damage (around 100k damage from burst is not impossible).
    • PMs are trickier due to insta kills, but I have grouped with 135DC characters that, to the best of my knowledge, have no fail

This massive surge in power is not reigned in by spell points, given bubbles, the fact that close to no fail DCs can be reach, and SP creep. More often than not casters are skipping shrines while demolishing current cap play.

Examples:

How much you have buffed them, by Gilga:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...94#post6248594

A caster trivializing low skulls end game, by Strimton:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54QrTurtcSw

I cannot emphasize how bad of an experience it is to play a melee in a group in end game questing right now.
    Still spamming the forum with the same threads.

Interesting point, and not a bad one, but looking at the HC server answers a slightly different question, IMO. The HC server rewards durability in a character, among other things. Thus, for example, one might not expect many 'glass cannons' to make it to top, and if we're looking to evaluate the offensive capability of a glass cannon then we might not find an answer through the leader board.
    Yet alot of casters are in the mid high levels.

One of the issues with DDO is providing too much survivability to the glass cannon builds through straight up linear increases rather than increases which scale with hit dice type. I never see this complained about though, its always about how (insert class here) is face-melting entire rooms when it sneezes, heh.

A specific version of my general question is, how high up the difficulty scale can a first life DC caster go? Set aside survivability for the moment. Can a first life wizard land DC spells in elite? R1? R10? Where is the break point, and what are the conditions. How many debuffs by the caster are required, if any? How many potentially friendly buffs are required, if any? I didn't ask for specifics earlier, but some were provided. How can a first life wizard hit 135 DCs, a number I've seen bandied about?
    Landing in elite and reaper, sure. Being no fail, no.

Now a first life on a VET with knowledge of all the tricks is different: Examples:
    We are rocking the 1SP SLA hypno before we hit a real CC spell using ench school for the +15% DC landing chance
    We are attacking high SR mobs with webs (usually low str check mobs as well)
    We are debuffing mobs using cold spells from scrolls on druids
    Etc...

Not to mention attacking the correct weak save on a per mob basis.

I would not expect a 1st life caster to hit 135 DC if it is a **first character** caster. They can hit it (get within the D20) if its a new character on a vet account with BTA hand-me-down gear. Most DC boosts arent reincarnation bonus. This is something we wont see on HC anyhow (no time to gear farm) as most people are sandbagging to get favor/RXP/or doing smooth jazz runs to get to 20.
    Last edited by Chai; 09-17-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Pms are way too op no other caster comes close to that not even fvs and there even stuck in a useless maj ed so they lose caster levels and not really a balanced game
    Damonz Cannith

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789