Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Woo Hoo, in before the thread gets locked

Anyhoo, It would be nice if they fixed guards. They are actually useful from 1 to 7'ish (Up to level 5 adventures, some level 6's). After that they would have to either make them scale with melee/spell power, character level, or something.

It would be nice for them to introduce newer guards, with no-save (to overcome Power Creep).
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    There are rare, wonderful moments where we get to do exactly that, and I treasure them.,,
    The problem with guards is that they are best used on the builds that least take advantage of them.

EI: a tank with high AC could take advantage of having a lot of guards because they can allow a fair amount of monsters to surround and attack such a toon, however the fact that they are rarely hit makes said guards rarely trigger.

Would it be possible to reconfigured the guard design into something more on the lines of "on being attacked" instead of on being hit" or "when one attacks" or "???"

Some sort of other approach perhaps, and if not deleting guards that only do damage would be acceptable, however there are some guard that produce effects that are nice.
    Perhaps one could focus on changing guards with damage to guards with effects instead.
    One could even go with a "on damage xd6 explosion happens limited by every y seconds".
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 09-12-2019 at 02:34 AM.

There are rare, wonderful moments where we get to do exactly that, and I treasure them.

Completely unrelated - how are you folks liking Fatesinger now?
    You have a thread with costumer raging over a broken effect, but instead you go looking for a pat in the back on a totally different thing.

Dev or not, here it goes:

You are either purposely derailing this thread, trolling OP in the process, or you simply have no awareness of posting manners. Coming into a thread, ignoring OP, and using your dev tracker power to attract responses on a different topic is just rude.

You got some goodwill from the community for listening to players and doing small bug fixes, but honestly I think your posting style since you became a “true” dev has been pretty bad. If you have nothing positive to contribute to the conversation, not positing is the better option.

To OP: guards are on of those things coded into the game but that may as well not be there. My suggestion would be to ignore it; it is most definitely not going to help your case posting like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigErkyKid View Post
    You have a thread with costumer raging over a broken effect, but instead you go looking for a pat in the back on a totally different thing.

You are either purposely derailing this thread, trolling OP in the process, or you simply have no awareness of posting manners. Coming into a thread, ignoring OP, and using your dev tracker power to attract responses on a different topic is just rude.

You got some goodwill from the community for listening to players and doing small bug fixes, but honestly I think your posting style since you became a “true” dev has been pretty bad. If you have nothing positive to contribute to the conversation, not positing is the better option.

To OP: guards are on of those things coded into the game but that may as well not be there. My suggestion would be to ignore it; it is most definitely not going to help your case posting like this.
    sigh.

no.

just no.

what i inferred from it (and previous comments) was that to fix this is a massive undertaking and it is not on the table. when she said fatesinger - she wasnt looking for compliments she was pointing out that to fix that she had to completely delete tree..... which is probably what guards need and they cant/wont do at this time.
    main toons: Cerrsi(silly caster/xbow) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member

Default !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

ALL CAPS !!!!!!! aside

The OP has a point, regardless of how one may feel about the presentation. Something in the game doesn't work. That thing continues to be included as the game continues. And it still doesn't work.

Continually releasing broken product is .. what's the word for that?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigErkyKid View Post

+1

Default Its great

There are rare, wonderful moments where we get to do exactly that, and I treasure them.

Its really strong:

Much better than the original

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    sigh.

no.

just no.

what i inferred from it (and previous comments) was that to fix this is a massive undertaking and it is not on the table. when she said fatesinger - she wasnt looking for compliments she was pointing out that to fix that she had to completely delete tree..... which is probably what guards need and they cant/wont do at this time.
    +1

If you can't tell that the OP and his/her subsequent antics are trolling then you really need to read a little closer. He has been told what the issue is multiple times and his response has been to insult the person responding and continue to rage against the machine. The rest of your post is complete and utter nonsense.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by StoddardSolomon View Post
    Pointless mechanic to you as you're obviously a newbie or simply lack imagination
    What are you doing with them? Farming afk on casual? You know you can just make a warlock instead :P

Community Member

This is disappointing. Since you bothered to respond, couldn't you at least answer the OP's question before completely changing the topic? Even if it is as unfavorable as "we're never going to fix it" at least he/she would know and could either accept it or rage quit. Or maybe ask Coco to respond?

Let's ignore for a second that I wouldn't go out of my way to equip a guard item even if they were WAI. So many on the forums love to throw around the phrase "There are 14 difficulty settings in this game - choose the one that's appropriate for you."

Is it possible the OP is doing just this and playing on a difficulty setting where guard items would do halfway meaningful DPS? You guys managed to code out several new reapers to enhance a difficulty setting that was supposed to be targeted at a small segment of the player base. How hard is it to fix a numerical error on an item effect that would possibly be useful on non-meta-gamer difficulty settings? Manipulating the numbers is something SSG seems to do a lot of, so to those of us who aren't familiar with the code, doesn't seem like it should take much doing.

Guards use to be really strong in this game. These gaurds could be "Healer's Bounty", "Auto-Repair", "Concord Opposition", "Corrosive Salt", etc

Not sure if it is still the case, but you use to be able to do Heroic Hound of Xoriat with a DR/ tank who had a lot of guards.

The gaurds for some reason bypassed the Xizzy's DR/Epic.

Also, back at level 20 cap, in older content, when monsters use to hit for a lot less and players use to hit for a lot less...this damage could represent a higher percentage of DPS.

A DR/ build was certainly viable. One way I use to solo or tank in certain raids was use a low Armor Class, a bunch of DR (Warforged Favored Soul or WF Sorc/PLD/MNK with Addy body+ a nice shield and action points put into DR/Addy) so Sully/Demon Queen/Reaver/Parts of Shroud/Tod Boss Horoth (a Guildy called him ***** off)...was to equip a Torc, Concord Opposition weapon and Armor, and a bunch of guards (corrosive salt and disentegration etc) and healing amp (sometimes swapping to a triple healing amp stick weapon)

You would sit there and get hit, proc spell points for Heal/Reconstruct, and let your guards kill the boss or help hold aggro.

So I understand someone who use to play that style being annoyed with gaurds not working.

For some builds, guards are a part of the game that they enjoy.

The OP is expressing their displeasure with this aspect of the game not working.

I have no idea how hard or easy it would be to fix of "solve" the problem.

But to the people ripping on the OP, just move on and don't comment. He may play the game different than you guys. This is OK!

My playstyle or proficiency changes depending on the life/build that I play. I can do R10 on Cleric or Favored Soul (in a group). I otherwise get carried on any other build in anything over low reaper.
    "Hireling" and "Hjealer"
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNiCd View Post
    This is disappointing. Since you bothered to respond, couldn't you at least answer the OP's question before completely changing the topic? Even if it is as unfavorable as "we're never going to fix it" at least he/she would know and could either accept it or rage quit. Or maybe ask Coco to respond?
    Why would she bother? It's been asked and answered multiple times only to be met with derision and insults from the OP. And she *did* answer it in an indirect way.

An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    sigh.

no.

just no.

+1. I completely missed the logic and now I wonder how I missed it, it being so obvious.

WRT the OP...

Well... he's either faking outrage for comedic value and it's simply too early for me to catch the amusement or he's a troll with zero social skills and no ability to comprehend any perspective that is not in line with his own. $140 for an expansion? It's around 600 DDO points for AtSL.

Kill guards and look at fresh coding down the road. Give it the Fatesinger shuffle.
    Apparently all but one person has moved on with their past lives and adapted to the issue by finding a better build.
    Last edited by Jerevth; 09-12-2019 at 08:15 AM.
    Sometimes I'm too clever for my own good. Bear in mind I'm probably trying to be humorous. Like dodge, it's hit or miss.// Looking for a guild on Orien? Send a tell to Magnifique to join the "Fidelic Brotherhood".

Love it, very well done by the way.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by edgarallanpoe View Post
    Why would she bother? It's been asked and answered multiple times only to be met with derision and insults from the OP. And she *did* answer it in an indirect way.
    If that's true, it wasn't obvious to me. Not everyone reads every forum post. Some only land here by means of search engine if they're trying to figure out if something is bugged or whatever. Also the indirect answer was lost on me, so possibly others too.

So if the OP is in fact repeat trolling (I don't know), I think a better response (for the benefit of anyone who might stumble on the thread) would be to answer it directly and then deal with the OP directly and discretely. Infraction, temporary ban, whatever tools are available to forum mods.

My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Why would you expect them to spend the time to fix a bug and upgrade a pointless mechanic to an equally pointless mechanic? Guards will never do enough damage to move the needle, even if you upped them to their listed die range.

They're much more likely to solve the problem by simply removing guard affixes from the game entirely, so be careful what you wish for.
    I wouldn't call it completely pointless. Since tanks are a thing again...guards can only add to the utility.

Since your standing there shield blocking anyway...what's the harm of adding a little DPS while your at it. Plus...it might provide just the little bit of extra ooomph to help you keep aggro.

Pointless???? Not exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo174 View Post
    Opening up the casual difficulty for raids would have been a much better solution. Since all the whiners are just complaining about not being able to play through the content they paid for. Just give them their casual difficulty. Since they are just a bunch of casuals.

Proud Member of the Bunch of Casuals Club!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    The problem with guards is that they are best used on the builds that least take advantage of them.

EI: a tank with high AC could take advantage of having a lot of guards because they can allow a fair amount of monsters to surround and attack such a toon, however the fact that they are rarely hit makes said guards rarely trigger.

Would it be possible to reconfigured the guard design into something more on the lines of "on being attacked" instead of on being hit" or "when one attacks" or "???"

Some sort of other approach perhaps, and if not deleting guards that only do damage would be acceptable, however there are some guard that produce effects that are nice.
    Perhaps one could focus on changing guards with damage to guards with effects instead.
    One could even go with a "on damage xd6 explosion happens limited by every y seconds".

There are some abilities that proc "on hit or miss". Seems like this should be doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo174 View Post
    Opening up the casual difficulty for raids would have been a much better solution. Since all the whiners are just complaining about not being able to play through the content they paid for. Just give them their casual difficulty. Since they are just a bunch of casuals.

Proud Member of the Bunch of Casuals Club!!!!!

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Do you mean these kinds of gurads like "acid guard" "undead guard" "light guard" "thorn guard" etc. ?

These - I personally love them ! They've been helping my low-end first-lifers a lot of times ! (And in some rare cases even saved their lives !)

I never understood that "there's a chance that" part ... I mean, what kind of dice throw ?
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Community Member StoddardSolomon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grandern_Marn View Post
    Stoddard! It is such a rare opportunity to read a thread started by you!
    I must say that you have the most recognizable lfm comments and it is a pleasure to see you out there and shaking it - life is too short to be meek and hide all the time.

Keep it loose and fresh.
    It is at such a special moment like this that I proclaim in my loudest voice:
    'Hi Welcome'
    Hey man and Orien citizen !

Ya in over 12 years I think I started maybe 3-4 threads at most in DDO forums, main reason is lack of hope it'll amount to a fix !

I do tell people this all the time at how life is too short, yesterday I was 20 and really good looking, now I'm...old ? It happens in a second, youth is wasted on the young after all !

But that doesn't mean I won't fight the good fight, restoring this fun thing used by a dozen with the knowhow in a game played by hundreds is something worth fighting for !

Community Member StoddardSolomon's Avatar

To all the disrespectful little ones calling The King of Orien a troll, I say this to thee

I do not troll, EVER, I sometimes role play yes and how DARE I role play in freaking DUNGEONS & DRAGONS FORUM ! !

What I say I mean, I'am closer to a force of nature then a regular person, my words are pure, not always right, but they're untouched by malice and deceit, they more often than not come accompanied by truly uncontrollable rage which cannot be helped, but none of it is fake

Wait what was the point again ? Ohh right yes I'm not nor have I ever been a troll, in fact I think trolls should face LEGAL repercussions and actual JAIL time ! They're a plague !

This is a serious issue to me, I have invested thousands of hours in DDO for over 12 years, to my previous statement, regardless how many of you have the knowhow as to make guard's work, their usefulness ain't the point, the point is it's broken, hence forth it has to be fixed !

The sacred law of stuff is, if it's NOT broken, best not to try and fix it, if it IS broken, it HAS to be fixed !

This is a terrible situation, years have passed with this problem going on, but that doesn't mean it is too late to heal this wound,as shameful as it is that it took this long, if it is corrected now, in time, this gushing cut will just leave a small scar, that will be forgotten one day

So bottom line is

FIX GUARDS ! !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast