Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: update 43 loot

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    So, did the loot fixes for the new chain make it into the patch or are we going to have to wait another month?
    Nope, it would have been in the Release Notes if it had made it into the patch. The features of the patch were locked before this bug was fixed. We know people are looking forward to this fix, it'll be out as soon as we can get it into a patch.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

This is update related, but not for the OP.

I logged in 2 hours ago, main account. Main (current) toon. I found 2 items in backpack that were used/ sold during Night Revels 2018.

Nothing big, the 10 minute summon, and a + 2 to +3 open lock tome (unbound)

To see these items show up today was a surprise, as I had sold the gargoyle on AH and gave the tome to a friend.

I know Im getting old but...................... (they weren't there yesterday)

Community Manager

Had to clean up some heated posts. We do have another game update in the works (in October), so at the very least many of the things you'd like addressed will be in that.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    As someone who has graduated law school, I can tell you NO court in America would accept the "judgement" spelling. Any filing or brief with that word misspelled will likely be rejected until the spelling is corrected to "judgment." The courts here are very sensitive to that spelling for some reason.

Go to Black's Law Dictionary, or most other American English dictionaries (including the OED of American English) for that matter, and you'll see the word is spelled "judgment." - https://thelawdictionary.org/judgment/

(But see Merriam-Webster's Dictionary where "judgment" is the preferred spelling but "judgement" is listed as a variant.)

There's one place in Black's Law Dictionary where "judgement" is used but it is corrected in the body of the article to "judgment." - https://thelawdictionary.org/article...ult-judgement/

Now, in Britain, "judgement" is indeed an acceptable spelling. However, SSG is not located in Britain (nor are they incorporated or headquartered there) and Lynnabel is not located in Britain nor is she a British subject. "Judgment" is the proper American spelling.

If SSG (DDO) and Lynnabel were located somewhere in Great Britain and they spelled the word as "judgement" in the game and on the DDO Forums, I would not complain. I would also not complain about the spellings of "armour," "colour," or "aluminium," either. But guess what? They're in the USA. They should use proper American spellings (unless, of course, there's a good D&D Lore or role-playing reason not to).
    Law school has little bearing over the use of language. In fact, if you consult COCA (Corpus of contemporary American English), you'll find that while 'judgment' is the most common spelling, 'judgement' is still used by writers in news, fiction, magazines, and academia. Funnily enough, in "Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce" among other journals.
    Formerly known as Absolute-Omniscience, co-creator of the old DPS calc.

Quote Originally Posted by A-O View Post
    Law school has little bearing over the use of language. In fact, if you consult COCA (Corpus of contemporary American English), you'll find that while 'judgment' is the most common spelling, 'judgement' is still used by writers in news, fiction, magazines, and academia. Funnily enough, in "Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce" among other journals.
    The Chicago Manual of Style uses "judgment" and the AP Manual of Style doesn't mandate either so I am not sure where you get the idea that "news" or "academia" prefers (or "uses") "judgement."

You're wrong in this. In America, "judgment" IS the preferred spelling.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

We only learn BE here in Germany at school, only with tiny bits of AE very late at school.

All AE I know is learnt from internet forums, especially because of AE people being the mass / majority over BE people there.

I kind of love BE more than AE, it sounds a bit more ancient to me, and has a nicer not-so-streamlined flow to it,
    although I must admit that I'm at a point happily mixing both now.
    I guess that most younger Germans who have learnt their English in internet forums do so as well.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    We only learn BE here in Germany at school, only with tiny bits of AE very late at school.

All AE I know is learnt from internet forums, especially because of AE people being the mass / majority over BE people there.

I kind of love BE more than AE, it sounds a bit more ancient to me, and has a nicer not-so-streamlined flow to it,
    although I must admit that I'm at a point happily mixing both now.
    I guess that most younger Germans who have learnt their English in internet forums do so as well.
    I think you're exactly right, Alrik.

BE definitely has a more dated/archaic feel and sound to it. The desire to hear and read older forms of English is one reason why the King James version of the Bible is still the preferred way to present and teach the scriptures in many churches, even here in America. I also agree that AE is definitely more streamlined (modern) than BE. For sure, it is those reasons why I prefer the NIV of the Bible and AE.

It's interesting to hear a non-native speaker's view of the two variant forms of English. Thanks for posting!

For the record, I don't mind which variant of English you use. Use what you were taught.
    Last edited by Arkat; 09-19-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Hi Welcome

The Chicago Manual of Style uses "judgment" and the AP Manual of Style doesn't mandate either so I am not sure where you get the idea that "news" or "academia" prefers (or "uses") "judgement."

You're wrong in this. In America, "judgment" IS the preferred spelling.
    So I take it you don't know what a corpus is?

For someone so confident in what the "correct" way of spelling something is, perhaps you should practice reading, I never said 'judgement' is the preferred spelling, I said it's a valid spelling used in academia, news, magazines, and fiction (in *contemporary American English*).

Quote Originally Posted by A-O View Post
    For someone so confident in what the "correct" way of spelling something is, perhaps you should practice reading, I never said 'judgement' is the preferred spelling, I said it's a valid spelling used in academia, news, magazines, and fiction (in *contemporary American English*).
    "Judgment" IS the contemporary spelling. "Judgement" is the old, antiquated spelling.

Regarding COCA, I prefer the New Oxford American Dictionary (published by OED). https://www.oxfordreference.com/view...-9780195392883

Thanks.
    Last edited by Arkat; 09-19-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Hi Welcome

"Judgment" IS the contemporary spelling. "Judgement" is the old, antiquated spelling.

Regarding COCA, I prefer the New Oxford American Dictionary (published by OED). https://www.oxfordreference.com/view...-9780195392883

Thanks.
    I guess 2017 is antiquated now then?

"any judgement of the work Becerra has done so far as attorney general, including his filing of multiple friend-of-the-court briefs challenging Trump's travel ban a..." (Los Angeles Times 2017)
    "ee, e.g., Lionel Smith, Fiduciary Relationships: Ensuring the Loyal Exercise of Judgement on Behalf of Another, 130 L.Q" (Texas Law Review, 2017)

Here's how a dictionary works. People like me use a corpus to study words, their use, and usage to determine meaning, collocations, spellings, etc. And to cut things short, just because a form is less common (e.g. 'judgement' vs 'judgment'), does not mean it's "wrong", "inaccurate", or even "dated" if it's used in contemporary language publications.

Community Member

After all these posts, I can only conclude that Mentau the Flesh Maker needs to drop a new item the "Judge Mint".

Quote Originally Posted by rabidfox View Post
    After all these posts, I can only conclude that Mentau the Flesh Maker needs to drop a new item the "Judge Mint".
    Lol!

Hi Welcome

I spell Gray with an E.
    Sorry if this is not the right place, but since we're talking about loot anyways, can you "fix" Epic Quiver of Alacrity by removing that nasty "-50 concentration" on it? It's literally the only raid item I know that has negative effects and only added there to balance a very outdated FoTM build.

Also, can I ask who designed the upgrades for EDs, specifically Uniyelding Sentinel? When clicking Celestial Mandate it moves your character a little to the side and it's extremely uncomfortable for hate tanking, especially in raids like THTH and KT. Having to constantly re-adjust your position is mentally exhausting.
    Last edited by Komradkillingmachine; 09-20-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Komradkillingmachine View Post
    Also, can I ask who designed the upgrades for EDs, specifically Uniyelding Sentinel? When clicking Celestial Mandate it moves your character a little to the side and it's extremely uncomfortable for hate tanking, especially in raids like THTH and KT. Having to constantly re-adjust your position is mentally exhausting.
    What race + gender is your character? Sounds like a problem with the animation that skill is using.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    What race + gender is your character? Sounds like a problem with the animation that skill is using.
    Aasimar Male, I think Intolerant Blows clickie might be a problem as well.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    I saw this too, don't remember the race, think it was male human/warlock?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Komradkillingmachine View Post
    Aasimar Male, I think Intolerant Blows clickie might be a problem as well.

My Tank is female aasimar and I have no issue using Celestial mandate.
    Omnipresence: Morkass, Ethiene, Eldried, Tenedoss, Tergos, Fergoss, Terendel

Community Member

Default Legendary Cloak of Balance (not dropping)

I've been farming this for days now and out of ~300 pulls, the cloak has yet to show itself.

Has anyone seen the Legendary Cloak of Balance drop this last week?

Quote Originally Posted by 0ldschool View Post
    insightful Seeker +10! Are there even any insightful Seeker +8 or +9 items in the game? CC at +7 is the best I know of. Along with quality +4 abilities, I have a feeling that this is going to be popular at end game. Thanks for posting.

EDIT: Created a new DDOwiki page for this one. https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legend...oak_of_Balance

Quote Originally Posted by Kamode_Corebasher View Post
    I've been farming this for days now and out of ~300 pulls, the cloak has yet to show itself.

Not this week but week before had one drop.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Quote Originally Posted by Kamode_Corebasher View Post

I pulled two in a row tonight.

Hi Welcome

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast