Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by krimsonrane View Post
    You can catch me on the normal servers hiding behind a pile of dead bards.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Just have fun as best you can with your medical issues. I know from that. I have a littany of them, too - and they impact my game play every time I log in. It sounds like you know your limits - as well as what you find fun/unfun. Nothing at all wrong with respecting both within yourself and making choices accordingly.

Sincerely hope you have fun on your home server.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBhaalspawn View Post
    I’m done too even if I liked the experience.

I died at level 15 because of a stupid bug ?* la Mentau.
    I had an icestorm dot on me and died in town.
    1st icestorm is not a dot and it shouldnt affect me outside AoE and even more after succeding the quest and recalling.
    I needed a bio so I went away and was dead when I came back.

GM dosent want to help me, just told me to bug report

You should raise toons who died because of your bugs even more when there is proof like an icestorm in town.

I cancelled my VIP and back to Thelanis. Nice way to deal with customers ssg...
    Death by the Ice Storm Dot is cruel as a Risian Lance.

At the very least, they should have offered some compensation to a toon of your choice on a regular server!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBhaalspawn View Post
    You should raise toons who died because of your bugs even more when there is proof like an icestorm in town.

I cancelled my VIP and back to Thelanis. Nice way to deal with customers ssg...
    We all saw this one coming. This was one of the major criticisms of the idea of HCL when they first announced it. What about deaths due to obvious bugs? What about extreme lag spikes? Glitching quests?

While HCL isn't predictable, at least their response was: "Too bad."

I'm glad you cancelled VIP. Hopefully if enough people start speaking with their wallets, SSG will start listening.
    "There are so many people running around and so many LFMs that it actually doesn't feel like a single player game." - Some guy on HCL

Also what the live servers would be like with server merges or cross-server grouping.

Community Member

I just don't like it. You all can have it. Before HC Devs had a habit of throwing people's hard work and efforts in the trash and that's how it feels to me now. Like it's a standard part of the game and starting all over from scratch every time is just them making it official.
    Like i said. just my opinion. Enjoy yourself. I'm going back to the standard servers. Save any 'it's called hard core for a reason" comments. I've already heard them from enough drones. I saw a person die at 29 and lose everything he worked for. That's not going to be me for sure. It's not the game that maintains my interest. it's what i've personally built and improved over a dozen years that keeps me going. if i had to play like this permanently I'd unsub in a heartbeat.

You can catch me on the normal servers hiding behind a pile of dead bards.
    I'm with you. Harsh punishment isn't what makes hardcore fun. The need to be cautious and use tactics is what makes it fun. I've started cranking up the reaper difficulty in every day quests. I did the heroic Demon Sands walk-ups on the highest difficulty I could handle last night and it was a ton of fun. I had to use caution and tactics and at the end was a nice reward of way more reaper experience than I would normally get for doing those. I didn't die (but did get down to 2 hit points once) and it was fun. The threat of having my character deleted was not necessary to make it thrilling and to make me do everything I could to avoid death.

If we want the fun of the hardcore server on the regular server, we just need groups willing to face a challenge while still treating their character's lives as precious (i.e. trying their best not to die). That style of gameplay is a blast and it doesn't require a harsh punishment for failure.

Community Member

it just feels like too much wasted time with nothing to show for it. I would have been better off finishing up my completionist. Well, at least i learned what PD feels like.
    Yes, this is one of the biggest problems. In a game where working on a main character is everything, taking a break from that to completely waste my time isn't appealing. Frankly, if they want this server to work for many of us, they need to give you the option that, when you die, you can turn your character into an experience stone and reaper experience stone worth 100% of all the experience and reaper experience you earned on that character. Then you could transfer it over to your main character. Frankly, this way of destroying alts isn't a bad idea in general.

Community Member

There is one other thing i learned. The two worst ideas DDo ever initiated were champions and reaper. The former made choosing difficulty a joke where random mobs are stronger than the bosses and champion bosses are so overscaled to the level that it hinges on ridiculous. Like when champion mimics would appear with the end chest and kill the whole party before anyone looted.
    The other was reaper. It created an elite club that divided the population rather than brought it together.
    These two things had the impact of trivializing death. It used to be that people tried very hard not to die. I remember both my girlfriend and I being truly upset every time we died several years ago when we played together. Now death can come out of nowhere at any time and kill anyone, no matter how cautious or powerful they are, and so death has become common and therefore meaningless. Since you simply cannot design your character and play in such a way that dying can truly be avoided, we have all come to accept that we are going to die sometimes and it isn't a big deal. That absolutely killed the thrill and intensity of questing.

We don't take our lives seriously because the developers don't take our lives seriously. No matter how hard we work to pump up our defensive numbers we can still be killing in the blink of an eye. I actually really like champs and reapers. But going from full health to dead in under 1 second isn't something I enjoy. There is no time to use tactics when you die on the first hit.

Community Member

I have a medical condition that requires i stop when necessary, wait till the issue has passed and then move on. It's not a group friendly thing.
    I certainly understand your feeling that way and will never criticize your choice to solo given that situation but I want you to know that some of us would be happy to do our best to accommodate you and group with you regularly anyway. If we know what is going on we would have no problem with your suddenly disappearing and then reappearing later. You could stay in the quest for completion and we would keep your spot in the group for whenever you come back (though I don't know how long your breaks are).

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    I certainly understand your feeling that way and will never criticize your choice to solo given that situation but I want you to know that some of us would be happy to do our best to accommodate you and group with you regularly anyway. If we know what is going on we would have no problem with your suddenly disappearing and then reappearing later. You could stay in the quest for completion and we would keep your spot in the group for whenever you come back (though I don't know how long your breaks are).
    I appreciate that greatly. but you are a rarity. So far in the last 6 years I've met one person like that. We both have similar issues so when one needs to stop we both stop. My necessary pitstops don't take more than 5-10 minutes. Unfortunately people finish quests in less time.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

These two things had the impact of trivializing death. It used to be that people tried very hard not to die. I remember both my girlfriend and I being truly upset every time we died several years ago when we played together. Now death can come out of nowhere at any time and kill anyone, no matter how cautious or powerful they are, and so death has become common and therefore meaningless. Since you simply cannot design your character and play in such a way that dying can truly be avoided, we have all come to accept that we are going to die sometimes and it isn't a big deal. That absolutely killed the thrill and intensity of questing.

We don't take our lives seriously because the developers don't take our lives seriously. No matter how hard we work to pump up our defensive numbers we can still be killing in the blink of an eye. I actually really like champs and reapers. But going from full health to dead in under 1 second isn't something I enjoy. There is no time to use tactics when you die on the first hit.
    I'm an old school PNP player. I hate death. Even on normal servers I avoid it at all costs. One of the worst feelings is creating a character, fleshing them out in detail, having them lasta good long time, and then watching them die over something stupid.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

I appreciate that greatly. but you are a rarity. So far in the last 6 years I've met one person like that. We both have similar issues so when one needs to stop we both stop. My necessary pitstops don't take more than 5-10 minutes. Unfortunately people finish quests in less time.
    It is not as rare as you think. I am in a full guild of players that echo erethizon's view. There are many things that can interrupt a game in RL, and there are many of us that are understanding of such things. I wish you lots of enjoyable game time, find your fun and pursue it.

LOVED the line about dead bards.
    I'm enjoying HC. Almost 20 and will stop then, except maybe do an alchemist if they come out in time. Had one death at ALMOST level 11.

I don't think it's going to be a full-time activity for me either, but I did enjoy the challenge.

The saving grace of it, for me, is that you DON'T lose everything. You'll get to transfer that character to a normal server for free, plus any cosmetic rewards you claimed are yours to keep forever.
    Ghallanda: Vilas, Alphon, Whelm, Thaylan, Tyclmi, Amgine, Talc, Dedlee, Payle, Darell, Talenta, Zhen, Thrane, Arrith, Durdyn, Magefyre, Necrophil, Tulgey, Borogove, Hasugi, Shawal, Hailestorm, Branthan, Lightningbug, Bettercall, Elecktric, Zardu, Zergworthy, BrotherOf, Missadventer, Bytemy, Demogeorgia, Tizen (33) Sarlona: (7) Cannith: (2)

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

I actually really like champs and reapers. But going from full health to dead in under 1 second isn't something I enjoy. There is no time to use tactics when you die on the first hit.

All I can say is that for anyone complaining of death on the HC, look in the mirror before complaining on the boards. There are plenty of tactics you can apply to every situation.

Every death - including lag, can be accounted for by a player. First understand your own network lag v DDO lag. I constantly see players blame lag on DDO when no one else in the group has lag.

Certain quests are known to have lag spots, be safe in them and clear things before the lag spike or know how to limit the monster aggro. Many lag instances are lighting effects. I equip a featherfall items with EVERY teleport - just in case "something goes awry" and you find yourself falling into the Marketplace.

Play at a difficulty you can handle - if you go to the difficulty you play on normal, be prepared to lose a character or 3 along the way. It is not the same.

Do you get your House P and House J buffs for every quest? For slayer areas? Do you upgrade gear between sessions, every time?

Do you try to find groups? Groups generally make everything easier. Especially if you have a character who say, doesn't have evasion, get an evasion player to help with spiky rivers, force bridges, and tough traps.

Look, I get aggravation and frustration, but HC is teaching you to "unlearn" perhaps years of acquired zergdom and monty haul culture.
    Last edited by Hafeal; 09-09-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- -10 - -11- -12!! years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Bounty Hunter

I don't think there is anything wrong with your decision and there also isn't anything wrong with the hardcore server. It makes sense to channel your energy where you get the most enjoyment. For many people that is the hardcore server, but not for everyone.

I think that the HC environment and play style doesn't appeal to everyone. Or, different people have differing levels of interest in it.

The same is true on the permanent servers.

Some people raid constantly. Some never raid. Some can only raid for a while before it becomes tiresome and they need a change of pace.
    Some people TR constantly. Some never TR. Some can only TR for a while before it becomes tiresome and they need a change of pace.

That's why I always have a couple characters at cap and a couple leveling. So I can switch activities when something gets tiresome to me.

It is not surprising that HC and Permadeath is something that also fits this description.

Enjoy your return to the regular servers.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Renvar View Post
    I think that the HC environment and play style doesn't appeal to everyone. Or, different people have differing levels of interest in it.

The same is true on the permanent servers.

Some people raid constantly. Some never raid. Some can only raid for a while before it becomes tiresome and they need a change of pace.
    Some people TR constantly. Some never TR. Some can only TR for a while before it becomes tiresome and they need a change of pace.

That's why I always have a couple characters at cap and a couple leveling. So I can switch activities when something gets tiresome to me.

It is not surprising that HC and Permadeath is something that also fits this description.

Enjoy your return to the regular servers.
    Well said.

Sometimes the change of pace can even be taking a break over in Hobbit-land. After all, THEY have fishing.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Also levelling a toon that ends up dying isnt a waste....they can transfer to another server at the event end!

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Reaper and Champions were direct results of a full on streams of "game is too easy" complaints over years of time.

Now we see the truth of it on a server with ~7 character deaths per minute posted in chat, in quests 4 levels lower than the character no less.
    Yup, no consequence for death. That is what makes any game too easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by rfachini View Post
    LOVED the line about dead bards.
    I'm enjoying HC. Almost 20 and will stop then, except maybe do an alchemist if they come out in time. Had one death at ALMOST level 11.

I don't think it's going to be a full-time activity for me either, but I did enjoy the challenge.

The saving grace of it, for me, is that you DON'T lose everything. You'll get to transfer that character to a normal server for free, plus any cosmetic rewards you claimed are yours to keep forever.
    The transfer may be free but character slots aren't. I'm at my affordable max now with 13 slots filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorais View Post
    Also levelling a toon that ends up dying isnt a waste....they can transfer to another server at the event end!
    Is the character slot free also? if you don't have any slots open do they give you one?

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Yup, no consequence for death. That is what makes any game too easy.
    In old school DND you used to lose a level for dying. i could live with that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast