Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An HC tip

Default An HC tip

Put everything into your bank.

If you have an extra thousand plat put it in the shared bank. If you found great gear not viable for your class, put it in the shared bank. Stuff you used to level up early? Put it in the bank. Rare collectables and ingredients? Put it in the bank. Everyone dies at some point. When you do this gives you a huge head start on the next run.
    Last edited by krimsonrane; 09-06-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

To add to this tip, you can put your collectables in the shared crafting bank. I hadn't done that before, and once I figured this out I was able to free up quite a bit of inventory space.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Community Manager

Yeah, me throwing a couple thousand plat into the Plat Storage a couple times per night has been really important to get a better start up front.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Be careful with this. Don't just put it "in your bank", put it in your shared bank. Things in your personal bank die with you. Things in your shared bank live on.

But other than that, very good advice.

Also to add, if you outgrow an item (get something better), put the one you were using in the shared bank, because you'll have to repeat those levels eventually.

Running out of space in my shared bank already and sniffing 180k plat in the bank and it's wonderful

New toon starting up bleeds out 30k - 80k in gear over the first 8 levels or so in general. Thankfully I haven't lost anyone yet but I do keep starting "backups" just in case. Have 3 or 4 toons all in the same general level range right now.

An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.

Join a guild. There are at least three major ones.
    -All that gear you don't foresee yourself using offer it in guild for free. (Karma comes around quickly and repays you.)
    -help others get back on their feet after a death. You'll be there yourself, at least once or twice.
    -The only thing you should keep in your character bank is BTC. The rest goes either on a "safe" toon (Crafter if your working on that) or in the shared vault.
    -LFMs; guild groups are force multipliers. I started one last night that filled in seconds and still had others wanting to join. Teamwork makes the work faster and safer. (A sharp healer kept me alive with a nasty trap in Redfang.)
    -Whether you know them or not, sympathize with a guildy when they die- could be a simple F (Fairwell, right?) or offer your condolences and ask if they need anything on their next life.

Deposit money. Deposit goods. Throw things on the AH that you don't need, at a low price with a cap. Someone will need it and if they don't? Pawn it.

The AH isn't insane on HC yet. No million plat tomes for the lower level bonuses. I might buy one but the irreplaceable things are lost for good if you invest them in a toon...
    Sometimes I'm too clever for my own good. Bear in mind I'm probably trying to be humorous. Like dodge, it's hit or miss.// Looking for a guild on Orien? Send a tell to Magnifique to join the "Fidelic Brotherhood".

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevth View Post
    Join a guild. There are at least three major ones.
    -All that gear you don't foresee yourself using offer it in guild for free. (Karma comes around quickly and repays you.)
    -help others get back on their feet after a death. You'll be there yourself, at least once or twice.
    -The only thing you should keep in your character bank is BTC. The rest goes either on a "safe" toon (Crafter if your working on that) or in the shared vault.
    -LFMs; guild groups are force multipliers. I started one last night that filled in seconds and still had others wanting to join. Teamwork makes the work faster and safer. (A sharp healer kept me alive with a nasty trap in Redfang.)
    -Whether you know them or not, sympathize with a guildy when they die- could be a simple F (Fairwell, right?) or offer your condolences and ask if they need anything on their next life.

Deposit money. Deposit goods. Throw things on the AH that you don't need, at a low price with a cap. Someone will need it and if they don't? Pawn it.

The AH isn't insane on HC yet. No million plat tomes for the lower level bonuses. I might buy one but the irreplaceable things are lost for good if you invest them in a toon...
    I agree with this.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post
    To add to this tip, you can put your collectables in the shared crafting bank. I hadn't done that before, and once I figured this out I was able to free up quite a bit of inventory space.
    Yeah, that's a good one to know. Grab the 3 free starter bags from the harbor and one is good to go with upgraded shared crafting storage. For anyone who doesn't know, one can drag a collectible or ingredient bag right into shared storage it'll empty the content. With how often I dump stuff to shared as a safety measure for death the starter bags are plenty of space.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default Plat plat PLAT

Yes, using your shared bank is smart for gear that you might use on another character if you die.

No, to saving plat, imo. Plat is to be used - saving it is for no purpose. This is a 90 day server. This is not a server to get to a million plat. People selling things for 10k+ pp are ... well, I won't say it out loud.

Below level 7 - while you are likely running 3s and 4s, use your plat to upgrade gear EVERYDAY. Shop the AH constantly. That gear will save you - an extra 5% of fort may be the difference in you living another day. Above level 9, the AH is more sparse and you will be relying on the RNG to cover you until your crafting level is high enough (if it ever gets there AND you have ingredients).

When I don't find upgrades, I bank and wait.

I also list everything I find for super cheap for other players, generally at 990 or 1990 buyout I belive in karma, If it is truly worthless, I deconstruct it.

The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- -10 - -11- -12!! years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Make a banker / Auction toon and use it exclusively for auctions and as much as you can for selling gear.

I have a DragonBorn Bard .. max CHA, Max Haggle, Ate Haggle skill tome and hoping to stone level her up enough to put in more haggle and some better buffs. I mail what I want to sell to her (no gems but gear) and she posts auctions and does the selling most of the time. She gets a better price than I do and since she doesn't quest no chances of losing her.

ALSO use that toon and ONLY that toon to post auctions. There are no Bankers or Auctioneers in purgatory so if you had that really good item for auction that sold for a lump of plat or shards, well your account is never going to see it because the dead can't pick it up for you.

I have heard from several of really good items that either sold or were returned for dead toons and essentially lost / wasted.
    Last edited by SiliconScout; 09-22-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    Make a banker / Auction toon and use it exclusively for auctions and as much as you can for selling gear.
    ~snip
    ^This
    Mail and Auction house.. you auctions and mail are not accessible if you die.. so all those listed items and sold/unsold items are effectively gone..
    Don't use regular bank, roll up storage mules if you need to..

setting up a non-playing toon to be your seller/buyer, auctioneer, crafter, etc... will save you a whole lot of heartache
    ..spec that toon for crafting/haggling..
    Last edited by JOTMON; 09-06-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/36 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/36 , RP 85/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/36 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 19/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 19/36 , RP 63/158)

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    ^This
    Mail and Auction house.. you auctions and mail are not accessible if you die.. so all those listed items and sold/unsold items are effectively gone..
    Don't use regular bank, roll up storage mules if you need to..

setting up a non-playing toon to be your seller/buyer, auctioneer, crafter, etc... will save you a whole lot of heartache
    ..spec that toon for crafting/haggling..
    Good Point I chose to ignore crafting for now (rather get the plat) but once I have enough income to feel comfortable I will probably make this toon my crafter as well.... assuming I have the time of course!

ALSO use that toon and ONLY that toon to post auctions. There are no Bankers or Auctioneers in purgatory so if you had that really good item for auction that sold for a lump or plat or shards, well your account is never going to see it because the dead can't pick it up for you.

I have heard from several of really good items that either sold or were returned for dead toons and essentially lost / wasted.
    THIS^^^!!!

I failed to follow this as I was being slow and careful, but Death found me anyway. I'm trying not to think of the stuff I had listed up that will fade away.

Good Point I chose to ignore crafting for now (rather get the plat) but once I have enough income to feel comfortable I will probably make this toon my crafter as well.... assuming I have the time of course!
    Most armor and weapons give you ~10% value in plat along with the essence(s). Even if you don't plan to CC craft, the plat payment plus selling the essences is profit.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 09-06-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

At login screen hit UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, B, A, START, for god mode.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPurge View Post
    At login screen hit UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, B, A, START, for god mode.
    Down, Up, Left, Left, A, Right, Down

Quote Originally Posted by voxson5 View Post
    down, up, left, left, a, right, down
    mortal kombat!
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Also if you create your own guild, dont make your main toon the guild leader lol...made that mistake the first toon that bought the farm.

Have a random lvl 1 as leader....

Default Selling stuff for plat

Its not a bad thing, need all the plat I can get to buy guild amenities (plus airship), just cause I want a guild str buff or guild elec resist doesnt make me a bad person.........

Building a guild up from scratch is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post

Most armor and weapons give you ~10% value in plat along with the essence(s). Even if you don't plan to CC craft, the plat payment plus selling the essences is profit.
    almost every deconstruction of armor and weapons are not producing plat.

Dont anticipate any plat from deconning
    Last edited by JOTMON; 09-09-2019 at 01:10 AM.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/36 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/36 , RP 85/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/36 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 19/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 19/36 , RP 63/158)

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    almost every deconstruction of armor and weapons are not producing plat.

Dont anticipate any plat from deconning
    Weapons with +'s (except sceptres for some reason), and armor with +'s (not robes/outfits) should be giving plat. All my decons of those items do.

Jewelry and Clothing items don't at all.

I am OCD about deconning every piece of junk gear any of my characters get, whether on regular servers or HC, and frequently watch my plat numbers when deconning. I still hold hope they'll fix all deconning to properly pay up some day.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast