Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. #1
    Community Member False_Gods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    104

    Unhappy Warning: Don't trust everyone you run with on the HC server

    Was about capped to 20 on the HC server and running Siegebreaker with the huge explosive room ( had almost 1000 HP so no other way I'm gonna die)... Was typed many many times in group chat 'careful'.... I typed 'stay back I'll go up and hit the big one'... few seconds later as I'm up there about to hit it one of em in a guild I wont say (top guild on the server) picks off the little xplosive while I'm up there thus ending the life of my almost capped character.

    Hard to think it wasnt intentional ... anyone surviving to that lvl on the HC server has to know all about that huge barrel ... either had to be intentional or *extremely* negligent and careless.


    Edit.. and this is not about sowing the seeds of dissent.. just a warning for people to keep it in mind. Had someone warned me like this I would have stayed way way back and not gone near the explosives and done the same thing in any situation like that in the game. Hopefully this will prevent something like this happening to someone else.
    Last edited by False_Gods; 09-06-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    Tales of terror abound in coastal cities of a powerful cabal of sea-faring pirates led by a trio of mages who have coined themselves 'The False Gods'.

  2. #2
    Community Member Potatofasf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brazil, RJ
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by False_Gods View Post
    Was about capped to 20 on the HC server and running Siegebreaker with the huge explosive room ( had almost 1000 HP so no other way I'm gonna die)... Was typed many many times in group chat 'careful'.... I typed 'stay back I'll go up and hit the big one'... few seconds later as I'm up there about to hit it one of em in a guild I wont say (top guild on the server) picks off the little xplosive while I'm up there thus ending the life of my almost capped character.

    Hard to think it wasnt intentional ... anyone surviving to that lvl on the HC server has to know all about that huge barrel ... either had to be intentional or *extremely* negligent and careless.

    Just a warning as it never occurred to me that I should be careful about running with folks in other guilds at the high levels of the HC server.. would hate to have some thing like this happen to some other unsuspecting individual so keep it in mind when you are running with people you don't know on the HC server... don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt.
    Super normal in Hardcore environments.
    No surprise DDO would be different, the people killers are lurking.
    No Signature...

  3. #3
    Community Member False_Gods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potatofasf View Post
    Super normal in Hardcore environments.
    No surprise DDO would be different, the people killers are lurking.
    Yeah I actually saw someone in guild chat accuse the same guild of getting their character killed in a trap.. I didn't believe it, and it wasnt at all in my mind to worry about it when I went up to take out that barrel. Hopefully this'll save someone else from having the same thing happen.
    Tales of terror abound in coastal cities of a powerful cabal of sea-faring pirates led by a trio of mages who have coined themselves 'The False Gods'.

  4. #4
    Community Member Sarkastik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by False_Gods View Post
    Hard to think it wasnt intentional ... anyone surviving to that lvl on the HC server has to know all about that huge barrel ... either had to be intentional or *extremely* negligent and careless.
    Agreed seems very suspicious, but intentional or not the warning is just as valid either way. Be very wary going into situations where someone else's actions can get your character killed. Even beginning as early as Ringleader with all the explosive barrels, be careful and take the time to watch what everyone else is doing.

    Very sorry to hear about your character, I hope you work up the nerve to bring up another one. Stay safe!

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    754

    Default

    That awkward moment when devs try to ban a griefer that's killed 20 party members and the griefer points out that he's chaotic/evil and just roleplaying to make the HC server even more realistic.

  6. #6
    Community Member Ralmeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,341

    Default

    That's not cool at all. Sorry to hear it. I suppose this is partially why I am primarily soloing on HC (at level on elite), as I've gotten killed at low levels a few times due to other players.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

  7. #7
    Community Member Maldorin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    412

    Default

    This should not be surprising to anybody, especially considering there's players that intentionally kill other players on hc and openly talk about it on the internet in places other than this one. Almost like it's an art in and of itself.

    It's safer to solo or run with who you trust.

    Clearly.

    I don't care, skipping hc

  8. #8
    Community Member NemesisAlien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Look up, way up, in space.
    Posts
    1,756

    Default

    Before Hc this sort of thing been happening since ages ago, especially when you post a lfm, then a zerger joins (you didnt know he's going to zerg), so when quest starts he disappear, so you slowly start doing the quest like solo, only to find all the mobs riled up and p1ssed off... RIP.

  9. #9
    Community Member Ralmeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldorin View Post
    This should not be surprising to anybody, especially considering there's players that intentionally kill other players on hc and openly talk about it on the internet in places other than this one. Almost like it's an art in and of itself.

    It's safer to solo or run with who you trust.

    Clearly.

    I don't care, skipping hc
    Good thing there's karma
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

  10. #10
    Community Member Chacka_DDO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    1,552

    Default

    friendly fire is a problem you should never neglect.
    In DDO, miscommunication is the main source of such deaths and out of my experience griefing and trolling is super rare.
    And yes I agree you should not trust/believe that your fellow party members do never fatal mistakes.
    In one of my latest groups on hardcore, the party leader died in snitch because a party member used the valve in the Ooze room and I'm quite sure it was also not intended.
    In general, you should leave it to the party leader to handle such things like barrel shot in Siegebreaker or the docent click in Prisoner of the Planes, etc.
    On the hardcore server, an extra layer of communication is of course recommended, but in the end, there is never 100% safety.
    "Act according to a maxim which can be adopted at the same time as a universal law."
    -Immanuel Kant-

    "Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has."
    -René Descartes-

  11. #11
    Community Member SiliconScout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    2,483

    Default

    So far I am either running with RL friends or soloing. Haven't had the gumption to open it up to the Randos mainly because I don't want to lose a character because someone isn't listening OR because they want to try and kill me.

    If traps and barrels weren't so lethal sure, but the way things are one guy not paying attention (or paying TOO close attention) can end your day in a heartbeat.

    I also tend to avoid quests where you plant explosive charges, too many accidental deaths that way in the actual servers to want to risk it in HC mode!

    To the OP did the guy at least have the decency to apologize in in chat? If not then I would consider that an intentional act, sounds like it was intentional to me as it is but that would ice the cake so to speak.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chacka_DDO View Post
    friendly fire is a problem you should never neglect.
    In DDO, miscommunication is the main source of such deaths and out of my experience griefing and trolling is super rare.
    As one who has, on a couple of occasions on a regular server, suffered death at the hands of party members intentionally, I can see how a hardcore server could actually attract such players back into the game. Seems like a ranged toon might be the safest bet on hard core: Keep your enemies in front, and your friends even more so.

  13. #13
    Community Member False_Gods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    So far I am either running with RL friends or soloing. Haven't had the gumption to open it up to the Randos mainly because I don't want to lose a character because someone isn't listening OR because they want to try and kill me.

    If traps and barrels weren't so lethal sure, but the way things are one guy not paying attention (or paying TOO close attention) can end your day in a heartbeat.

    I also tend to avoid quests where you plant explosive charges, too many accidental deaths that way in the actual servers to want to risk it in HC mode!

    To the OP did the guy at least have the decency to apologize in in chat? If not then I would consider that an intentional act, sounds like it was intentional to me as it is but that would ice the cake so to speak.
    Yeah I got a 'dang sorry dude!' in type chat. Issue is the leader typed 'careful' several times in chat so **** near impossible that anyone could just go in there firing away at the barrels. After everyone hesitated to go in and do what had to be done, never suspecting that anyone could possibly be paying that little attention, I typed "stay back I'll go up and set it off"... After I got up there about 5 seconds later and was equipping a throwing dagger to set it off at a distance, one of em fired at one of the smaller barrels and set the big one off thus insta killing me.

    Basically I was like the last person online at that high level that wasn't in that particular guild. So obviously not sure if that had something to do with it, i.e. ensuring whoever was up there at the high level was in that particular guild and getting rid of anyone else.

    Hate to think that of course, but after hearing other people so and so from that guild got em killed, it doesn't surprise me... I mean how could anyone be almost lvl 20 on the HC server and be paying no attention in that room.
    Tales of terror abound in coastal cities of a powerful cabal of sea-faring pirates led by a trio of mages who have coined themselves 'The False Gods'.

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    Someone I grouped with last night was talking about people killing others in the Hardcore server when I mentioned that Stay Frosty was bugged and procs against players. Hopefully this will cause them make fixing it a top priority. Currently, all you have to do is get to level 20, switch to Shiradi, and you can kill everyone in town by just casting a healing or buffing ability over and over again.

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    Someone I grouped with last night was talking about people killing others in the Hardcore server when I mentioned that Stay Frosty was bugged and procs against players. Hopefully this will cause them make fixing it a top priority. Currently, all you have to do is get to level 20, switch to Shiradi, and you can kill everyone in town by just casting a healing or buffing ability over and over again.
    If it were easier to get to 20, I'm pretty sure a troll would have done that by now. As it stands I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a group is working on it.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,377

    Default

    Unpopular counterpoint: Why were you that close to the big barrel to begin with? You had a thrower...why not use that to "light the fuse" from outside the blast radius, and never put yourself in a position to be griefed?

    Even on non-HC I'm always super cautious with that room...stay as far away as possible, I usually jump and cross over to the "second biggest barrel" side, shoot across the bridge to light the fuse, hide behind the wall, then jump across to the now-detonated "biggest barrel" side and do the same.

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by False_Gods View Post
    Basically I was like the last person online at that high level that wasn't in that particular guild.

    Hate to think that of course, but after hearing other people so and so from that guild got em killed, it doesn't surprise me.
    PVP Guild in Hardcore DDO. Pure awesome! That's what a leaderboard means! There can be only one!



    And, you're not it!
    Last edited by Tilomere; 09-06-2019 at 02:35 PM.

  18. #18
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,770

    Default

    Best way to deal with those huge barrels in siegebreaker is to shoot them from directly below with fireball or sonic blast, its impossible to blow yourself up that way.

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yfernbottom View Post
    If it were easier to get to 20, I'm pretty sure a troll would have done that by now. As it stands I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a group is working on it.
    Frankly I'm surprised I haven't heard that Stay Frosty has already been fixed internally and will be back to normal in the next patch. Griefing tools are not something that should be left in the hands of people on the internet. I consider fixing this to be a top priority.

  20. #20
    Community Member False_Gods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Even on non-HC I'm always super cautious with that room...stay as far away as possible, I usually jump and cross over to the "second biggest barrel" side, shoot across the bridge to light the fuse, hide behind the wall, then jump across to the now-detonated "biggest barrel" side and do the same.
    I did it how its been done countless times... I typed stay back I'll get it since no one was doing anything.. it didnt even occur to me about griefing. I mean if you play the entire game calculating in the possibility of someone griefing you your not going to have a very good time. I assumed at the very least, it was clear in type chat.. stay back I'll get it.

    Seems pretty apparent someone saw I went up there, they'd probably had their eye on me the whole time, consciously or unconsciously looking for an opportunity to take me out ...completely unbeknownst to me that anyone would even consider doing that...and the opportunity presented itself for an "oops" moment and at that point it was just a matter of pulling the trigger.

    Again... at least others can be on the look out... there are most likely many people like me who would never suspect someone of doing that. Its a pretty crummy experience, many tedious hours of careful play down the drain... Hopefully someone else will learn from it.
    Tales of terror abound in coastal cities of a powerful cabal of sea-faring pirates led by a trio of mages who have coined themselves 'The False Gods'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload