Thread: Server Merge

Community Member

Default Server Merge

No more excuses. Compensate for opening a new server (HCL). Merge the servers.

Thanks.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hogdog5 View Post
    No more excuses. Compensate for opening a new server (HCL). Merge the servers.

Thanks.
    AGREED!

At least a cross-server LFG function, right?

Default Bumpity bump!

Bump, bump, bump!

Yes please, more than half of the HC success is due to ppl seeing the areas, lfm and game alive again, not like having 8 deserts
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Community Member

Thumbs up

A sentiment echoed for years now. I also agree with the above: part of the success of HCL is due to players having a plethora of other players to interact with. Public spaces filled with players, a healthy LFM list, and an active public chat... these are the elements of a true MMO. These were what I loved so much about DDO back in the day, but they are no more.

Declining player populations and an increase in level range and content selection have spread players too thin. I can run around massive public zones and never see a soul. Is this a single-player game? No? Because it often feels like it. SSG should really address this issue and merge most - if not all - of the servers. "But our hardware isn't good enough" isn't a good enough excuse any longer, nor is "we don't know how." It's been done before. Bring Otto's Boxes back for a weekend and skip the next content expansion. Open a freaking donation box for all I care. I'd love to pour money into the Server Merge Fund. Put the team to work making the necessary changes to facilitate a server merge.

Do we want more content or do we want more people to play with? I'll take the former any day.
    "There are so many people running around and so many LFMs that it actually doesn't feel like a single player game." - Some guy on HCL

Also what the live servers would be like with server merges or cross-server grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit View Post
    A sentiment echoed for years now. I also agree with the above: part of the success of HCL is due to players having a plethora of other players to interact with. Public spaces filled with players, a healthy LFM list, and an active public chat... these are the elements of a true MMO. These were what I loved so much about DDO back in the day, but they are no more.

Declining player populations and an increase in level range and content selection have spread players too thin. I can run around massive public zones and never see a soul. Is this a single-player game? No? Because it often feels like it. SSG should really address this issue and merge most - if not all - of the servers. "But our hardware isn't good enough" isn't a good enough excuse any longer, nor is "we don't know how." It's been done before. Bring Otto's Boxes back for a weekend and skip the next content expansion. Open a freaking donation box for all I care. I'd love to pour money into the Server Merge Fund. Put the team to work making the necessary changes to facilitate a server merge.

Do we want more content or do we want more people to play with? I'll take the former any day.
    /signed
    No Signature...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit View Post

It has been requested for years but the new server has been an acute worsening of a chronic condition. It really cant be hardware, right? I remember hundreds of people playing at launch...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbik View Post
    It has been requested for years but the new server has been an acute worsening of a chronic condition. It really cant be hardware, right? I remember hundreds of people playing at launch...
    Probably a result of layers and layers of spaghetti code and new models and graphics finally catching up with the old engine. You'd think they'd have enough revenue to upgrade hardware if that's the problem, but I'm not sure that they have the people or knowledge to rewrite the game engine.
    "There are so many people running around and so many LFMs that it actually doesn't feel like a single player game." - Some guy on HCL

Also what the live servers would be like with server merges or cross-server grouping.

So, how many servers do you think is the 'right' number?

What if, in the merge I end up with more characters on the merged server than I have character slots? Do I have to spend money for additional slots? Or do I have to delete characters, some of which are old enough they have the d20 and dice bag from way back when?

No. No server merges. Cross server LFM? Yup, I'm all for that. But You do not get to decide that I have to either spend money or delete characters.

Community Member The_Apocalypse's Avatar

A lot of people also enjoy the whole "brand new server" thing where everyone's account starts from scratch. Would like to see a new server once a year and a server merge once a year for the ones that get underpopulated. Keep the game fresh while allowing people more grouping options on the classic servers. Just don't allow transfers to the new server for a year.
    Last edited by The_Apocalypse; 09-05-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    "The body is but a vessel for the soul;
    A puppet which bends to the soul's tyrrany.
    And lo, the body is not eternal,
    For it must feed on the flesh of others,
    Lest it return to the dust whence it came.
    Therefore must the soul
    Deceive, Despise, and Murder men..."

--A.J.Durai

No.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    No.
    Spoken like a true scholar.

Community Member

Lost of discussion regarding server merges. They should make it into its own forum group.

Community Member

There have been a lot of requests to merge servers lately I think it's become a critical issue to the point that warrants SSG replying. I'd like to see an interview with Sev and some devs, and their explanations.

It's been done before and can be done again. It's your data SSG, you can move it around. Technical hurdles can be overcome. I love this game but sometimes getting a full group is difficult.

Last night we had a lfm up asking for a trapper in heroics. TOOK 3HOURS for one to join. My friend said that is why he wants to transfer to a bigger server, because he just wants to play and can't find the right classed / enough people.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin_of_Power View Post
    There have been a lot of requests to merge servers lately I think it's become a critical issue to the point that warrants SSG replying. I'd like to see an interview with Sev and some devs, and their explanations.

It's been done before and can be done again. It's your data SSG, you can move it around. Technical hurdles can be overcome. I love this game but sometimes getting a full group is difficult.

Last night we had a lfm up asking for a trapper in heroics. TOOK 3HOURS for one to join. My friend said that is why he wants to transfer to a bigger server, because he just wants to play and can't find the right classed / enough people.
    do u remember when a healer was NEEDED to play elite? ppl waiting almost 1 hour to play, sigh, they wined like mad so dumbine toned difficulty down enough and gave enough massive power to players so they could spend less time waiting to fill a group or run a quest

but when you talk about merging... "oh my name, oh my guild, oh my total number of toons"

really? total number of toons? here's my solution, if you have a total of 35 toons after merging, that's the current total available toons, if you have 17 max slots then you can't create more, but you can play the toons you got altogether

wow such a burden to find a solution (total toons = total available toons, if total available toons > total real slots then can't create toons)

oh but my name... free renames, heck we have a free LR after toon creation, same with players loging in after the merge

where's the next trouble? oh ma guild airship... sigh, airship tokens, ammenity tokens, currently existing, currently given

i see sometimes suggestions i'm not "specially ok with", but i don't try to make excuses that are only harming current DDO population, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE for real, 3 hours for a group? players checking how many toons online and you will always find the typical "at which time? try this time in that server" that's an outstanding facepalm, if someone wants to play a single player game... there're lots, free, and better than DDO, don't sink a game for pure egoism
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Cool

I still think handing out free Server Transfers won't really impact their profit margin, especially since people are less inclined to spend on a game with a dying population.

DDO is definitely on its way out, but I'm sure the party can stretch a few years more if they'd bother to deal with the numerous QoL fixes. And I'm the kind of person who understands that Coding is tedious, time-consuming and far more difficult than people give it credit for, but still.

Argo, Sarlona, Orien, Ghallanda, Khyber, Thelanis, HC

Merge to 3 servers.

Siberys, Khyber, Eberron. Dragon Above, Below and Between.

+HC since people really seem to like it, if only that they now run with more people.

Yes naming issues will abound. People will get over it. Increase the character slot maximum per server.

I'm sure they can come up with something. Programmers are smart people.
    I might be addicted to pack design!