Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The HC server is reminding players about, and convincing players about, how much a merge is actually needed. Issues can be solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Server merges are somethign that I don't think SSG can handle correctly, but I will point out that seeing empty LFM lists and sparsely populated WHO lists scares off new players even more than a server merge does.
    I was all against the HC Server, but now, I'm loving the experience because of that. The Hardcore Server have highlighted the player base (VIP player base) wants company and people to play with. Also the scattered population through various semi-empty server are the real issue behind the players numbers decay, not the daily farm or repeating optionals.

A merge is must needed, if not some shenanigan to make cross-LFM available. Seeing that the XP Changes made nothing to make the game better, for the contrary, it made the game worse, less LFMs, less people PUGing, more spread leveling and segmented Reaper parties.
    No Signature...

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Potatofasf View Post
    I was all against the HC Server, but now, I'm loving the experience because of that. The Hardcore Server have highlighted the player base (VIP player base) wants company and people to play with. Also the scattered population through various semi-empty server are the real issue behind the players numbers decay, not the daily farm or repeating optionals.

A merge is must needed, if not some shenanigan to make cross-LFM available. Seeing that the XP Changes made nothing to make the game better, for the contrary, it made the game worse, less LFMs, less people PUGing, more spread leveling and segmented Reaper parties.
    I think that's the only viable solution here.

We need a server merge. SSG can't handle a server merge. So we're going to need some kind of shennanigans to make a "sort of server merge" where people get free transfers to one or two servers and then we just deal with the fallout.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Server merges are somethign that I don't think SSG can handle correctly, but I will point out that seeing empty LFM lists and sparsely populated WHO lists scares off new players even more than a server merge does.
    Correct! As I've posted in several threads in the past few hours, we either need a merger or at the very least, cross-server LFG functionality. The server pop on live is obviously lower with the advent of HC. The HC players came from somewhere...its not like we got hundreds of new people to play the game!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaxpower View Post
    Thank you.
    They did merge servers ... it's call Hardcore. It's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachomammashouse View Post
    The devs got bamboozled by the forum warriors.

Community Member

One question. How often does the default server change? If it stays for a year, then it probably contributrs to low server pops. Maybe if they rotated the default server for new players more often, it would help? I personally found a group to run with finally. Its been picking back up on khyber, but it is still pretty scarce.

Nico

Community Member

I'd say there is one fector that people miss well. As a Korean, I experience that I lose my friends these days. Ghallanda people might be aware that you can hardly see DDO korea guys.
    I want to say that reason is thst we are really difficult to chat each other. DDO has no foreigner font that we can chat each other to express our letters. Most of my friends were tired that we can hardly communicate, they quit the game and never returned.

I have suggested SSG to add fonts for years. If you see theough my forun posts, You will notice I have suggested this for 10 years over, but SSG only answered "we don't have any plan to do such thing." Nope.

Server merge is actually attracting for now for me and my remained friends. Our active members are like 3-5 people these days. But I'd like to say my friends will be back if we have font to talk each other... rather than server merging.
    Ghallanda Server
    Dragant, Spellaser, Arrcous
    Officer of DDO Korea Unlimited

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbik View Post
    Correct! As I've posted in several threads in the past few hours, we either need a merger or at the very least, cross-server LFG functionality. The server pop on live is obviously lower with the advent of HC. The HC players came from somewhere...its not like we got hundreds of new people to play the game!
    Cross-server LFG functionality is very necessary. There is a serious contradiction between the number of players and the development direction of DDO, because the current Raids and Reaper mode require a lot of experienced players. For example, the difficulty of R5+ becomes higher, we can't get high reaper xp and Raids equipment through SOLO.

Community Member

No, Potato a merge is NOT needed, it's what you and HR and a few others WANT. Please try to differentiate between the 2. Yes, I know, semantics. You keep pushing for things to change the way YOU want them to, and could care less about other people.

Did any of you ever stop to think that maybe some people have gone to different servers to get away from people they don't like and would rather not associate with ? Now you want to mush all those people back together again. That could have the opposite effect of what you are looking for.

Just my opinion mind you, but knowing you you'll report it as being offensive because I disagree.

Default Signed! Double signed!! Triple signed!!! Mega signed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRunning View Post
    No, Potato a merge is NOT needed, it's what you and HR and a few others WANT. Please try to differentiate between the 2. Yes, I know, semantics. You keep pushing for things to change the way YOU want them to, and could care less about other people.

Did any of you ever stop to think that maybe some people have gone to different servers to get away from people they don't like and would rather not associate with ? Now you want to mush all those people back together again. That could have the opposite effect of what you are looking for.

Just my opinion mind you, but knowing you you'll report it as being offensive because I disagree.
    Ummm, you DO know that /squelch exists solely for this reason, right? Literally, everyone on the home server knows that 1-2 particular guys who are the servers "personality" types.

At this day and age, I hardly see any legitimate reason not to merge servers to bring like-minded Veterans together.
    It's ridiculous that I have to wait for an hour to fill a raid or even a small 6-man party for R7+ skulls since there aren't enough players around. At this point, we are literally being held hostage by our home worlds, even more so with Hardcore League stealing half of the active playerbase.

We all have to admit that even if we kept getting 1000 new players each month, it wouldn't solve any of population problems, because they are too spread out across 8 servers, many quit before getting to level 12 b/c of all the paywalls, very few reach lvl 30 cap and are usually very gimped in order to contribute in the endgame scene, so they end up being additional burden upon the old timers and usually result in lowering skulls and raid difficulties.

SERVER MERGER FOR THE GREATER GOOD!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Oh, and in MMOs, the players are indeed part of the experience, contrary to what you posted. Out of all of the opinions aggregated about the HC server, one stands out the most, and thats how refreshing it is to play on a server with alot of people on it, easily find groups, multiple instances of public areas, etc. It seems the opinion of "other players are not there to be content for you" is in direct contradiction to what we are observing in this little 90 day experiment that is currently happening.

The HC server is reminding players about, and convincing players about, how much a merge is actually needed. Issues can be solved.
    People are part of the experience. But other people do not play the game to improve YOUR experience. I am not an NPC.

Do some people have a better time if there's more LFGs up and your groups fill faster? Sure, of course. But you dont get to impose all those negatives - and there WILL be negatives, despite your blithe dismissal of any possibility it wont be 100% positive - on players that dont care about having insta-fill groups, just to better facilitate your own personal playstyle.

I like to solo. Soloing gets lagged down when there's events like, e.g., Mabar that stress the servers, and that impacts my experience. So, lets just unilaterally put a cap on people doing Mabar and implement a queue to get in. It will benefit me, and if it inconveniences a lot of other players, so what? My playstyle is the most important one.

No server merge. If playing on a high-pop server is so central to your gameplay that you simply cant enjoy the game without it, if its so important that you're calling on the devs to undergo a major project and uproot the entire server system...then just shell out the $20 to move to Cannith.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickodeamous View Post
    One question. How often does the default server change? If it stays for a year, then it probably contributrs to low server pops. Maybe if they rotated the default server for new players more often, it would help? I personally found a group to run with finally. Its been picking back up on khyber, but it is still pretty scarce.

Nico
    Not once per year, you would be scared the speed at which they rotate (or don't) default servers
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

No. Not without full refunds for all money and time (XP earned) on the lost server.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

For putting the song into my head... At least it's a good one.

"When asked if the developers hate the players, as they make so many challenging jumping puzzles, their response was that they have what they consider a “… normal amount of contempt for the players.” This is good. A dungeon master should always nurse a healthy contempt for his or her players."

I vote we have a dedicated forum section for server mergers.

Community Member

By the way, actually, I'm positive with server merge. I felt fun by running HC server, with people. when I return to my server, there is no people and no LFM to run with. even if I post, none of people comes.

I believe people's refusal for server merge has some reason because of the server population, I guess?
    Last edited by Targal; 09-05-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    Ghallanda Server

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorrd View Post
    They did merge servers ... it's call Hardcore. It's great.
    u think ssg can live off hc? just watch the game die because of it

I like the idea of a NEW server, and then we all get free transfers to it...

Names will be an issue, but the NEW server should have a clean slate of available names, and we'd all have to get free character renames.

Guilds will be a pain... We'll have to start all guilds over again... but they could be built back up pretty quickly...

But many people spent real money on their existing guilds, so how to handle that?

And existing astral shards need to be transferred as well. That's a per-server thing, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

Names will be an issue, but the NEW server should have a clean slate of available names, and we'd all have to get free character renames.

Guilds will be a pain... We'll have to start all guilds over again... but they could be built back up pretty quickly...

But many people spent real money on their existing guilds, so how to handle that?

And existing astral shards need to be transferred as well. That's a per-server thing, right?
    If I say a case in Everquest 2, the devs merged 2-3 servers into one new server, rather than them into one already-existing server. I'm not sure if people will like it still...

but... why don't we get a free server transfer? or server guest system? or auto-transfer to the server of LFM which you get like WoW does? We have many options, but none of them discussed I guess?
    Ghallanda Server

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    People are part of the experience. But other people do not play the game to improve YOUR experience. I am not an NPC.
    No one said they were. This is coming entirely from yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Do some people have a better time if there's more LFGs up and your groups fill faster? Sure, of course. But you dont get to impose all those negatives - and there WILL be negatives, despite your blithe dismissal of any possibility it wont be 100% positive - on players that dont care about having insta-fill groups, just to better facilitate your own personal playstyle.

I like to solo. Soloing gets lagged down when there's events like, e.g., Mabar that stress the servers, and that impacts my experience. So, lets just unilaterally put a cap on people doing Mabar and implement a queue to get in. It will benefit me, and if it inconveniences a lot of other players, so what? My playstyle is the most important one.

No server merge. If playing on a high-pop server is so central to your gameplay that you simply cant enjoy the game without it, if its so important that you're calling on the devs to undergo a major project and uproot the entire server system...then just shell out the $20 to move to Cannith.
    Single player games and MMOs, while having overlapping audiences, are two different game types. When you play an MMO you are part of that community and you deal with the issues an MMO has.

Theres no impact on solo game play regardless of number of players on the server. There is significant impact on ability to group when there is less people.

ALL of the "more people = more lag" nonsense, is just that, nonsense. We already discussed this in a different thread (AKA "servers" are not empirically hardware based and limited solely to use of same-system components, and havent been since the 80s)
    Historically: If every melee nerf after each melee class revamp was reverted back to its pre-nerf version, which melee build(s) are OP in the current meta?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

Id be fine with this. Just announce which servers will be the destination servers and we all get to choose which servers we will transfer to for a period of time and any character not transferred ends up on the destination server.

These issues with purchases can be solved - since the company got into that mess with RMT they can figure a way out of it. Enough time has passed since people have been asking for this, for a number of years now that there must be at least some ideas on the table for how to overcome those.

Even if they did it as a volunteer thing, and people resisting due to purchases can still opt to hang out on their old ghost town server, id be fine with that too.
    Historically: If every melee nerf after each melee class revamp was reverted back to its pre-nerf version, which melee build(s) are OP in the current meta?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast