Community Member

Default New Server's effect on traditional server population

The new server has seemingly killed the population of Thelanis. I'd expect its the same for all the other servers. I'd like to suggest DDO finally do a server merger or at the very least, a cross-server LFG would also be completely acceptable. If doing a merger, I think 3-1 would be better than 2-1.

I love this game, but when I logged in today, I was the ONLY person in Sharn. That expansion is only a couple months old!

Its great that people are enoying the new server, but those of us that want to group on our home servers have kind of been left out in the cold. I genuinely hope you can find a way to make the traditional servers more "group-finding-friendly". I doubt the population or grouping situation will improve without some new form of LFG or mergers.

I appreciate all the new content DDO pushes out, but please, fix the grouping mechanic.

Thank you.

Killvarian Khan
    Thelanis since '06

Community Member

It's certainly noticable, but on Sarlona, I had hardly any issues finding groups to level from 10-30 (which I did since HC came out). Still, it could be better. Merging servers is a huge undertaking. Just think that a transfer costs 30$ and transfers about half of the stuff people actually care about. Granted, the prizing for different stuff is often completely out of whack, but it still shows how tough it is for single characters. Now imagine hundreds of active heroes and tens of thousands of dead ones with banks and TR caches and monster manuals and guilds and dozens of other stuff to go with it. You have to remember that this game is very shoddily programmed (ever climbed a ladder? ever stepped into lava? ever cleaned a TR cache?), so every action is about 742 times as difficult as you believe it to be.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFlory View Post
    It's certainly noticable, but on Sarlona, I had hardly any issues finding groups to level from 10-30 (which I did since HC came out). Still, it could be better. Merging servers is a huge undertaking. Just think that a transfer costs 30$ and transfers about half of the stuff people actually care about. Granted, the prizing for different stuff is often completely out of whack, but it still shows how tough it is for single characters. Now imagine hundreds of active heroes and tens of thousands of dead ones with banks and TR caches and monster manuals and guilds and dozens of other stuff to go with it. You have to remember that this game is very shoddily programmed (ever climbed a ladder? ever stepped into lava? ever cleaned a TR cache?), so every action is about 742 times as difficult as you believe it to be.
    I appreciate your reply but the “Its too hard!” Sounds like my eight year old when I tell him to clean his room. Its been needed for a long time, but even more noticeable now. A cross-server LFG tool, then, if a merger is “too hard”.

I've perceived a slight decline in general population on Thelanis while the "VIP Event Server" has been running but nothing catastrophic. I would suspect many of people that have already (pre-)purchased the 'Masterminds of Sharn' (Released: May 2019). That will have run it, dozens of times are more likely to have active VIP Subscriptions.

Also I've seen a thread recently from someone that was complaining about figures of people logged into Thelanis - supposedly at prime-time. I've logging in outside of those busier times within the last week and noticed far more players than was quoted.

Thelanis on Sunday 8, 2019 [11:00am GMT (UTC)], currently 11 Players, that are within actual Sharn quests - perhaps not many albeit not a barren wilderness at that specific moment in time.

Community Member

Default Yup

I've also noticed a considerable decrease in server activity on Thelanis. A few guilds that I'm in have been very quiet. Groups are noticeably harder to find. Three guildies that I've played with for years have quit since HCL - as in, deleted all of their stuff and then their characters.

No need to fret overly much, though. The devs have made it quite clear by their persistent silence that they have absolutely no interest in merging servers. Players have been asking for it for years - they've been ignoring it for years. It's a good business model if you want to drive a game into extinction. At this point I actually hope that it happens.

I guess individual mileage may vary depending on what days/times that you play. I haven't spent a dime in this game in a while now, and don't plan on it until I see some merges.
    "There are so many people running around and so many LFMs that it actually doesn't feel like a single player game." - Some guy on HCL

Also what the live servers would be like with server merges or cross-server grouping.

Talking

There was definitely a decrease in Argo, but not as much since many people here hit the HC server and Argo for their alts.

Guilds are still busy with their own members, but the public LFM is 50-50 most of the time.
    I might be addicted to pack design!

Community Member

Default I second that.

Soloed 90% of everything with a hireling from 1-20 (my cap) because it took like 30 minutes for my normal difficulty LFM to fill.
    We only need to wait for all the 40 year olds in this game to start dying off, then it's Asheron's Call for DDO.

Community Member

YES AGRREED , Dear Devs.. do you care about your game? we care about the game . want it to not die? show us you care , merge a few servers . please , and thankyou!