Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Devs....you broke pathing again....without doing a thing

Just wanted to say that pathing of mobs is all borked again.
    Main toons: IronThatcher (tank & box breaker for inquisitives), Mehhh (ranger)...pion of HS...zug zug
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesrali View Post
    Go munt your grandma while wearing my freeway mitt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I am the dumb.

it's not that they broke it again.

It was never fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenicis View Post
    it's not that they broke it again.

It was never fixed.
    After last maintenance it worked okish for almost 5 days lol
    Main toons: IronThatcher (tank & box breaker for inquisitives), Mehhh (ranger)...pion of HS...zug zug
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesrali View Post
    Go munt your grandma while wearing my freeway mitt!
    I am the dumb.

Community Manager

We are continuing to work on this pathing issue, and are expecting to get a fix in soon.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by cave_diver View Post
    Just wanted to say that pathing of mobs is all borked again.
    it's not borked, it's new strategic positioning on the mobs part to throw us off and not being able to complete quests. ie roll call.

slows down the xp grind.
    Member of "Guild of the Black Dragons" & "Swords of the Light" on Sarlona. Proud "Last" member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy.
    Kilthar-Tharr-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Tharissa-Robothar-Minithar-Miriella-Tharnessa-Tharisa

We are continuing to work on this pathing issue, and are expecting to get a fix in soon.
    So, you don't know what is causing it, right?

This is so frustrating that after 13 years the game still plagued by bugs related to year one and Beta Phase! Tsc.
    No Signature...

Quote Originally Posted by Potatofasf View Post
    So, you don't know what is causing it, right?

This is so frustrating that after 13 years the game still plagued by bugs related to year one and Beta Phase! Tsc.
    My guess is the pathing code is not not working, its being turned off due to some process or thread not kicking off the script for the monster pathing, i.e. monster AI. Either the script execution ran out of memory, got terminated, or ...<your guess>

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

You can buy upgraded pathing in the store for 1995 DP.

It's not just mobs.

Hires have been doing weird things for a long time, even when sett to "Buddha mode", they start running around randomly at odd times. For instance, when you plant a flag to keep them stationary, and then give them a command, they do not return to the flag, nor do they seem to stay in place at the thing you commanded them to interact with, but rather take off in some random direction - usually just a few steps in the past.

Well, now since pathing issues started mere days after the update, I noticed parked and passive hires suddenly seems overcome with the desire to just run off in a straight line toward some remote and unknown target, resulting in them suddenly hurling themselves off bridges or running face-first into walls repeatedly. When set to follow, they are completely befuddled by simple things like corners and door frames, and they seem to have developed a liking to staying even CLOSER to their employer when they finally DO follow, resulting in them getting killed a lot more frequently (where they already sucked).

And of course we have the quest-breaking disappearences of mobs that take off leaving the players stuck in quests where door-locks are mysteriously tied to the heartbeat of all mobs in its presence. Seen them clip through walls to get away, becoming unreachable.

Now about that last thing, when I think about it, I don't blame them... Could it be that we accidentally have developed ACTUAL AI with a sense of self-preservation and an ability to exploit bugs? In the case of the hires, maybe they're forming a union next, tired of being paid peanuts to die horribly?

Cordo? Patent the code before you patch it. Might have stumbled on something here...
    "It's not a measure of health to be well-adjusted in a fundamentally sick society"

Community Member TempestAlphaOmega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabidfox View Post
    You can buy upgraded pathing in the store for 1995 DP.
    They already did, but what they really need to do is buy the entire upgrade path (i.e. Upgraded Pathing II through XX) but they are only allotted so many points a month so it may be awhile.
    Shapshap, League of Extraordinary Ham, Sarlona and a bunch of alts that all have names begining with Sha or Sho. Of course Shapshap could be the alt and one of the others the main, it just depends on what day it is.

Community Member

Haywire Foundry
    lightning golem perching on a puzzle wheel
    https://postimg.cc/NLLKMN17

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebjorn View Post
    Could it be that we accidentally have developed ACTUAL AI with a sense of self-preservation and an ability to exploit bugs? In the case of the hires, maybe they're forming a union next, tired of being paid peanuts to die horribly?
    In the Lava Caves, they seem quite happy to go for a swim under the lava.

Can't be self-preservation if they're getting killed more often, can it?

Community Member

While hardcore is on I don't think this will be fixed as it was an update for the hardcore world when it all went haywire and there is too much money being made by it. So all worlds will suffer until it ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnordian View Post
    In the Lava Caves, they seem quite happy to go for a swim under the lava.

Can't be self-preservation if they're getting killed more often, can it?
    True, but maybe with sentience came a profound insight into the futility of their existence?
    "It's not a measure of health to be well-adjusted in a fundamentally sick society"

Community Member

Heh... our group is seeing mobs fling themselves off cliffs into lava in an endless loop in Madstone (R5 Epics), or jumping off high buildings and climbing cliffs and embankments...

its pretty damn nuts

Community Member

Spinner of Shadows:

spiders and hires pathing into lava.

Kobolds in Buying Time yesterday were getting stuck on corners and running under the central platform in an attempt to return their crystals. It was a mess and made the challenge unplayable.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mithis View Post
    Kobolds in Buying Time yesterday were getting stuck on corners and running under the central platform in an attempt to return their crystals. It was a mess and made the challenge unplayable.
    Yeah, I guess the pathing issue would break some of the challenges. Guess I'll have to wait to upgrade my colomel scimitar.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

The feeling grows on me that it might have something to do with collision detecting ... or what the correct term for this is ...
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    The feeling grows on me that it might have something to do with collision detecting ... or what the correct term for this is ...
    This AI Pathing problem has been around for several years now.
    Before the last 2 or 3 updates, the pathing would degrade within 7-10 days after a server reboot to where mobs would jump off ledges (even normal "turret" mobs that never moved), and they all seem to take a straight-line to you no matter what. Also seems to cause more mobs to aggro that shouldn't those in other rooms, higher up, etc.

Several years ago the devs realized that this was happening so they started the Weekly Maintenance reboots every Tuesday since that was good enough to prevent it from happening.

However since the last couple of updates, the degradation is occurring faster than 7 days, so something changed recently to make it worse, and the weekly reboot bandaid is now not enough.

It could be some memory leak that is eventually getting to a level where it somehow "breaks" that part of the AI for enemies... or something else entirely. We can speculate all we want... I'm sure the devs will have a better idea since they actually have access to the code and the servers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast