Community Member

Default HC Build Strategies

I'm lovin HC!! I thought a post on build strategies would be interesting. Have you seen toons out there with CON as a dump stat? I know I have. Are you running a character along the blades edge of survivability? Is survival just luck of the d20?

I have stuck to a few personal guidelines. Decent to high CON, 3+toughness feats on a few toons, and reasonable expectations with bad builds.

So far I have sent 2 rogue assassins to the purple land of death. Each build tough as a wet paper bag. One died in deep lava, doh!. The other got a double tap from a sonic trap. Practically, few other builds would have survived those events. So I blame bad play for the deaths, more than the builds. Not withstanding, I'd rather plan my toons around being hardy.

I wonder if a splash of 2 or even 3 in paladin is just that useful for warlock, or sorc, or even bard? The extra 8-11 for all saving throws sounds strong. I went 2 levels of barb on my warforged sorc for the temporary 150 hp enhance.

It's interesting to me to see players "seemingly" make zero concession to the one and done nature of the server.

What's your take on what to play in hardcore?

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default CON based dwarf

How do you tell the male dwarves from the female dwarves?
    By the length of the their beards of course!

Ore Bladeforged Sorc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

I'm trying some things that I always wanted to try but never got the chance. For the low levels at least PDK Ftr / Sorc is working very well.... once I get to Wall of Fire level I am thinking about dropping some Rogue in there... for the Evasion. The Bladeforge Pal/Sorc is not working as well for me for some reason... even with the repair spells. ATM I am using Halfling Dragonmark and Hirelings. Thinking about making it Eldritch Knight. On live my pure sorc EK could tank the Demon Queen at level on Elite.... but that was the completionist with twink gear.

Up until now my only deaths have been on my Arti/Rogue toons.... all to traps/stupidity.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member

I've been running Pale Masters with 2 rogue levels for evasion, wraith for incorporeal chance and stacking saves bonuses with free great crossbow from the mechanics tree. I take insightful reflexes and stack electric/acid resistance, since those are what I remember dying to most often on other servers. I rarely top kill charts, but can at least buff/haste everyone else, do most traps and save a handful of spells for cc or killing casters in the back.

Community Member

I ran a SWF FvS up to 20, in hindsight I should have made a build that didn't take until level 15 for its fighting style to really kick in.

That being said, you can build for the goal(s) you are attempting to achieve. If you are just going for 1750 favor you can make a frontloaded character, level 20 more balanced works, for reaper points you might want something more end game capable (assuming you farm most of those reaper points in epic).

Community Member

It's truly a balanced strategy game now. You need; Hit points to survive those one-shot-can-kill-you traps and hits. Evasion and saves for avoiding incapacitating spells and magic damage. Ranged attack capability with tough enough group, hires, pets, or summons to draw and sustain aggro. Sufficient self-healing for when your healer is busy elsewhere. The list goes on.

I ran with a barbarian who was, in my opinion, virtually immortal; he could step right into deadly traps without so much as a scratch. When I caught up with the player later, I found out the barbarian had died - a Hold Person spell kept him from activating his Blood Tribute. My highest level toon to-date on this server passed on from Groktin the Elder Beholder's Disintegrate bolt. She had even taken out many beholders before Groktin, so it was probably a hit-or-miss fight. Despite having a high Con, Fortitude save, and lots of HP for a wizard/fighter, being able to effectively range attack the beholder from a distance might have made a difference.

I think 2 rogue for trapping and evasion, 2 barbarian for occasional Blood Tribute, and a self-healing build for the rest is what will do well. For me, I like the PM auras for self-healing because they can run for a while acting like a regeneration. Even if you are held or similar, the self-healing still works. Zombie gives you +4 Con, which is 4 more Blood Tributes! Don't underestimate the value Augment Summons for pets and hires for early levels, though this might get feat-swapped out at higher levels. I'm not used to playing Favored Souls or Forged Sorcs for self-healing, but I am sure players that are used to those could also do well.
    Last edited by Careall; 09-02-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: minor sentence order adjust

Default augmented summons; rogue splash

I've lost two toons so far, and i've been playing pretty much full time. All my surviving toons are single digit levels so far, but one is holding 9. I've tried some weird stuff and some pure single classes and all have been fun but have some challenging spots. Since I hate feeling blind and not being able to pick locks, my future builds will probably start out rogue for two levels. Evasion + unlocking + some trapping for the win. I was originally concerned about skill levels but I am returning after a long time away and the new enhancement trees have enough skill boosts to make the toons viable.

One thing I've done when I have (or am willing to spend) a feat is take augmented summons. I started doing this on an artificer and discovered that hirelings are much more useful when they can open doors I can't. Every time I do this I think of The Orville "can you open this jar of pickles for me?".

I have usually not taken toughness. Go figure.

I may buy FVS instead of unlocking it by favor, and would probably do as another suggested and splash at least some rogue, though I always do so at creation for skill points.

Has anyone done a current game Batman build? I haven't found one yet.
    Last edited by blametroi; 09-04-2019 at 06:25 AM. Reason: missed something

Default 3 builds

1) Arcane Trickster: Gnome 2Art/18Wi or 2Rog/18Wi with ranged feats. High INT, high CON, Archmage, spell fous Conjuration, EK, Tier 5 Harper tree. Good for solo play, good for party cc. I have one of these parked at lvl 16 to farm collectables, and is within a quest or 2 from being back on the leaderboards for favor.

2) Animal Domain Warpriest: 2Ftr/18 Clc: Heavy armor, tower shield, radiates healing magic, and is tough as an adamantine power conduit. NOT good for solo play, but is great for keeping a party healthy and drawing the aggro for the squishies. Currently, I have one at lvl 9, waiting for a few buds to get their levels back up.

3) Deepwood Mechanic: 2Art/4Rog/14Rng or 2Art/5Rog/13Rng: Highly skilled, great ranged dps, never blows a trap box. Maximize, empower, empower heal for the curative admixture and empathic healing aoe, dragonmark of passage/w 12 pts in the racial tree for the teleport click. Good for solo play, a godsend for parties that need healing, trapping, and transportation options. Taking this one to 20

Community Member

I'm a little surprised there's not more group-support builds listed. Is this some odd trend to return to the preferred non-grouping play style on the other servers?
    Lyr_Levaine posted a non-solo party healer (I have two). Where are the support bards, focused trappers, intimitanks, and temp-HP warlocks?

It seems that HC should really encourage far more cooperative grouping and class/build synergy rather than focusing on sole survival.
    I'm even surprised I haven't seen more guild events, like a "Level-Up and Favor-Runs Day" in which players with builds that can solo some of the toughest quests repeatedly jump into those quests and allow guild members to pike for quest completion.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Careall View Post
    I'm a little surprised there's not more group-support builds listed. Is this some odd trend to return to the preferred non-grouping play style on the other servers?
    Lyr_Levaine posted a non-solo party healer (I have two). Where are the support bards, focused trappers, intimitanks, and temp-HP warlocks?

It seems that HC should really encourage far more cooperative grouping and class/build synergy rather than focusing on sole survival.
    I'm even surprised I haven't seen more guild events, like a "Level-Up and Favor-Runs Day" in which players with builds that can solo some of the toughest quests repeatedly jump into those quests and allow guild members to pike for quest completion.
    Grouping leads to two of the most frequent overall causes of death -

1) bad/unskilled group members. Aggroing a second boss, champ, or reaper while the rest of party is fighting the first one is an example. Blowing up trap boxes with roll of 2 or better is another example. Sometimes, blowing a box on a 1 roll cant be prevented. But with proper gear and build, any 2 should succeed. Poorly played or built characters whose players haven't run heroic content on a first life in years. Some of the best builds in Epic levels are truly sub-par while leveling heroics. Worst are the party members with the "I dont have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you" attitude.

2) Overconfidence. If I get incapacitated, someone will heal me. If I get held, feared, blinded, etc... someone will draw away aggro until I can recover. These folks know what they are doing even if I dont remember the mechanics of this quest. With 6 of us, chances are that the champ mob will fry someone else, not me.

And although many will disagree, I would rather group with 2 other players and 3 hirelings than 5 other players. Most groups want to kick a hireling to make room for another player. Even if the hireling is the groups main source of buffs or heals. Example, my ranger doesn't have build room for UMD and without gear or willingness to learn cannith challenges in permadeath conditions, hireling is currently my only source of blur/displacement. 20% displacement, inspire courage buff, CLW all from my hireling - how could grouping be safer than running my trusty Bard hireling who will cast a heal spell on me while receiving a fatal blow?

Lesson learned from previous experience in permadeath MMOs - grouping gets you killed. (In my case, over 2k hours playing D3 RoS seasons)

Community Member

@knightindullarmor

I think you might be indirectly supporting my point - your preference to not group aside (for now). A lot of the builds that are not up to snuff to properly support a group are built for solo play; spreading out their builds to be good at many things rather than great at a few things. A solid trapper shouldn't fail on 2's, but a solo build that can trap will. A barbarian designed to zerg won't do well in group-scaled quest with tougher/more bad guys - fail one save against a Hold, and the barb is DOA. Also, I'm not agitating for a style of play. Instead, identifying the [mostly] solo builds in this thread is just an observation. The fact that these builds then encourage folks like you not to group increases the identified solo trend that much more. I'll leave alone your points regarding the skill of players in quests they haven't played or played for a long while. That's certainly a factor, but I'm not sure how it ties into the observation about solo builds other than to discourage folks like yourself from grouping. I think a poor player playing a great build is probably worse than a great player playing a poor build.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

First character, I tried a traditional human Sorc. No toughness. I was careless and died in Tangleroot at level 5 to a champion hobgoblin slayer. I'm not annoyed about the death itself, more that I joined one other stranger and felt uncomfortable with my damage vs the HP of the enemies I was fighting and the damage that was incoming. The death, specific circumstances aside, was deeply foreseeable and it was a good gentle introduction to taking HC "this feels off" spidey-sense seriously.

Second character, I figured I'd go pure Drow Artificer. I know how to do pure Arti and only stress about a handful of traps. Weirdly, the one that got me at level 7 was one I'd never died on before (Dirty Laundry). You live, you learn.

Third character, I went pure Drow Artificer again - identical build. Didn't dump CON entirely; was 12 I think, but no toughness. I was paranoid about traps now and took SF: Search and SF: Disable, which you wouldn't catch me doing in a million years on a normal server. It made 20 with only one hairy experience (Redfang poison trap rooms!). After Redfang, I don't think I dropped under 75% HP with the sole exception of trying to get the Tira's Splendour rune arm from Garamol and copping repeat horrid wiltings in the weird anti-grav trap; do not recommend. I did take way more AP in Mastermaker than on live; up to the 4th core for the 50HP and heal flask SLAs.

Fourth character - and I'm as disgusted as you are - Warforged, 1 Arti, 2 Monk, 17 FvS Int-based Inquisitor. Traps (and hire), Saves + Evasion, Heals, Inquisitor Dps, absurd 10HP per FvS level injection. Just disgustingly effective and imbalanced across the board. If you see me on 'Immovable Object' use '/emote expresses disrespect'.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Community Member RavenStormclaw's Avatar

My goal is to build for survival. If your cleric dies there is no running them to the shrine. Etc. First try is went pure druid and bit it at level 4 to the darn electrical trap room in Recovering the lost tome. Lesson learned. i went arti/rogue mix on my next two and they are still hanging out around level 4. My hit though was a Asimer Scoruge iconic build. Two ranger levels with a plan for 3-4 and rest Favored Soul. Between delving in tempest and the AC boosts from FvS line I have a mid 40's AC at level 7. Using wisdom for hit and damage while dual wielding bastard swords leaves me also able to effectively cast as well as do melee combat. Its a crazy idea but turns out to be a ridiculously effective and survivable build.

Default crazy or creative?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenStormclaw View Post
    My hit though was a Asimer Scoruge iconic build. Two ranger levels with a plan for 3-4 and rest Favored Soul. Between delving in tempest and the AC boosts from FvS line I have a mid 40's AC at level 7. Using wisdom for hit and damage while dual wielding bastard swords leaves me also able to effectively cast as well as do melee combat. Its a crazy idea but turns out to be a ridiculously effective and survivable build.
    This is the thing that keeps me interested and on the HC server. Try an idea, see what happens. If you screw up, start over. No living with mistakes just to get to 20 and TR

there are 2 completely different categories of builds here.

elite only builds
    reaper builds

not the same

Reaper should likely include ghost touch across the board and basically making your toon/team 'bullet proof'
    Reapers have to die in seconds...or you will
    elite is a bit easier
    deal with traps...or in mid levels they will kill you on elite (skills/gold seal hirelings/evade)
    deal with range casters (resist/evade/huge HP)
    don't zerg

have fun and stay alive.
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.