Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Is it worth it for f2p?

How is it to play as a f2p player? I heard its very content restrictive. You will not go far as a f2p player.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarfaru View Post
    How is it to play as a f2p player? I heard its very content restrictive. You will not go far as a f2p player.
    you can get to 20 on a ftp account.

it will be a big grind to get from 16-20, but it can be done.

FTP is a business strategy. its like giving out free samples at Baskin-Robbins. of course you will get more ice cream if you are willing to buy some.

Imagine a pioneer in the near future who is sent to live on Mars. He starts from absolute 0 with some basic supplies from Earth. He has to build the house, create farming fields, grow plants and keep animals for food and clothing, build a forge to craft and repair metallic tools etc.

As a f2p, you can eventually access all content in the game by favor farming ddo points. Even expansions turn up in the ingame store some months after release, so you don't need to buy them either. All you have to do is farm the quests, over and over, multiple hundred times at least... The process speeds up of course, as the favor from newly purchased packs add up, but still, it's a very very high and steep mountain to climb imo.
    One of our guildmates did this btw, he spent only $5 to become premium, and farmed everything else. He was determined
    + Cannith +
    + Csodaszarvas +
    + MCMLXXXVI + Ezredes + Giliszta + Halacska +

Community Member

I'm going to go ahead and say its probably not worth it if you're on a super tight budget. You can play for free for a kind of an extended trial to see if you like the game play. I think it'll get pretty grindy after a while though if you can't either buy a monthly VIP subscription or buy some content outright.

Theoretically it's possible, as others have mentioned, to unlock just about all content for free, but I personally wouldn't want to do it. That said if you have a lot of time on your hands and don't mind repeating content to grind out free points, maybe it would be ok for you.

Yes, it is possible and it is easier nowadays but still a pain. You need patience and be prepared to run solo a lot or only with your friends because groups run a lot of content you can't access roughly from lvl 5+.

Useful information for f2p, kept simple:
    - If you repeat a quest you will get a penalty for xp. With more content you don't need to repeat as often.
    - You need DDO Points to get new content or someone who sponsors you a guestpass.
    - You can earn DDO Points with your Total favor score. Every quest gives a certain amount of favor that will ad up to the total favor.
    - You will receive the highest favor for a quest, if you run it on elite. But as f2p you need to start at norm, then hard and after that you can enter elite. To make it easier you can ask for an elite opener. This works pretty good, if you add it as information to your LFM (looking for member/more) post ingame.

There are guides here on the forum or you may find useful information on the ddo wiki .

Good luck.

Cheers,
    Titus.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

How is it to play as a f2p player? I heard its very content restrictive. You will not go far as a Premium/BIP player.
    Of course it's restrictive, that's the model. There is an incentive to spend just a little RL cash (to become Premium) which opens some content, and another incentive to become VIP ($/month) which opens a lot more.

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Account_comparisons

However, it's also very playable as F2P, especially at low levels. So I guess it all depends what you want to get out of it. If you're happy just having fun, it's perfect. If you have a driving need to lead the kill-count in every group you join, you simply won't be that guy as F2P - and that shouldn't be a surprise. (But if you, yourself, are a decent player, you won't be the bottom of the barrel either!)

As for content, you can earn most of it just by playing the game, which earns "Favor" and via that earns "DDO Points", which are an in-game currency you can use to buy Adventure Packs, Races, Classes, etc etc.

Try it, see what you think, and if you like it a lot, then come Thanksgiving (late November) or Midwinter Sales some of that extra content (that you cannot buy w/ DDO Points) usually goes on sale (50-75% off), and for the price of a good lunch you can become Premium.

I'm Premium, was F2P for almost a year before I upgraded, and now have earned everything except the very newest content - it's very workable.

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Free_to_Pla..._100_Favor_Run
    o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6166886

To give the game a free try - yes, absolutely.
    And if you are having fun, it's also worth it when you decide to pay for a few things.
    If it's not enough fun for you to decide to pay for a few things - you've lost nothing.

Yes.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Well you have 74 free dungeons up to through lvl 10 and then 9 more from lvl 11 to 20. That might even be low as I counted it off my old list I printed out about 10 years ago.

It's harder now to level up with the new dungeon ransack rules in place that gives you less XP from multiple runs, but that's off-set somewhat from the XP tokens you get via the Daily Log in Bonus.

I've never had a sub, I have bought some dungeon packs in the store and between the free dungeons, those extra one's and the Daily Dice I'm up to lvl 16 as a very casual player. So I don't see it very restrictive at all.

F2p get's 3? character slots per server so just making 1 character per server and running them through Korthos and 3 or 4 of the Harbor dungeons will net you 50 free store points per each one so you can easily build up free store points to purchase addition packs in the store.

My actual take on it is plan on throwing $20 at the game from time to time to buy points when on sale (more for your money) and then buy some dungeon packs when they're on sale to kick yourself up to Premium status.

End take; one of the better F2p games out there, totally doable as a casual player without spending money. If you plan to make it your main game / 12 hours each day / totaly dedication; than NO F2p would be restrictive as you'd burn out of what you can play quickly.
    Last edited by Nebless; 08-31-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

My personal opinion is that F2P is much more fair in DDO than in SWTOR.

The only drawback is that Adventure Packs must be bought in DDO ... But everything gear related in is principle free. SWTOR goes rather the other way round . The content is free, everything gear related is often behind a paywall, so to say.

But that's my very personal opinin. I don't know how others see it.

Anywaya, I'm playing DDO as F2P for some time now, and it feels very good to me. I must say that I've bought almost all Adventure Packs throughout the years, though.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Default Is it worth it for f2p?

I just (re-)read the thread title, rather than the OP, so thought I'd respond to that as well...

"Is a free game worth it?" So, worth the time you spend playing it?

Yes.

I think the game is great, and you can really slowly "pay as you go".

Occasionally the Catacombs Starter Pack goes on sale on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...ragons_Online/

https://store.steampowered.com/searc...Dragons+online

Pick the Catacombs Starter Pack when it goes on sale (I got it for like 2.99 or 3.99)

It comes with a level 3 Permanent Hireling (great fo having them stand on pressure plates or pull levers).

I also comes with a really nice low level quest chain and 250 DDO Points (still called turbine points on this, but its the same thing)

It also has some XP pots too.

For some people, not paying much and earning the whole game via points is the "game within the game"

Anyway, give it a shot. More than likely you will come to one of two conclusions:

1. This game is super fun, I don't mind spending some money on it (this can be 5$ or it can be more)

2. I do not enjoy playing this game; I rather play something else (then you uninstall the game and you have lost nothing)
    "Hireling" and "Hjealer"
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

https://ddowiki.com/page/Account_comparisons
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Fr...lay#Quest_list

There's a lot of F2P quests, but they start getting thin around level 10-ish. At that point, you need to either farm F2P content to keep leveling or look into buying some adventure packs. Fortunately you will earn Store Points from Favor just by playing. There are first-time Point awards on each server, so you can make 1,000 Store points fairly easily by doing the 100-Favor Dash on every server. It's also a good idea to check the Sales & Promotion forum or this thread every week; adventure packs are on sale fairly regularly, though big discounts are rare.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Yeah, the starter pack is imho a great thing, especially because of the Gold Seal Hireling ! Don't throw that contract away !
    And with Catacombs you can farm more Points ...
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

is it worth it for f2p to try the game for a while? yup it is

is it a f2p game? not even close
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

It depends on what you like doing.

If you're looking for an MMO in which you'll find dungeon crawling, fun narratives, an in depth character creation system and the ability to experiment with playstyles and character directions, DDO is a great game to play F2P. You're not wrong about it being content restrictive but there are around 100 dungeons you can do for free right out the gate, and as you complete them you'll earn the ability to unlock more for free. If you wind up liking low level content and just want to tinker with characters you'll unlock things very quickly as well, particularly if you take advantage of the First Time Favor bonuses on the various servers but that's a bit meta.

Other posters have mentioned that you'll likely run into something of a content drought around level 10 and they're not wrong, but if you save your points so that you can buy into some packs in the 10-20 range the process of reaching the Heroic level cap is surprisingly painless even as a true F2P.

There is one caveat to the above though. Once you reach level 20, you'll have to worry about reincarnating characters or doing epic content. This is when F2P more or less completely stops unless you're extremely careful in your planning and know exactly where to spend your points. Guides have been written though so I won't take up much time with that.

TLDR - First ten levels are fun and easy, 10-20 are pretty slow without a bit of effort, 20+ is very difficult without spending money or extremely careful planning and preparation.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    Well you have 74 free dungeons up to through lvl 10 and then 9 more from lvl 11 to 20. That might even be low as I counted it off my old list I printed out about 10 years ago.
    Thankfully they have made it a lot easier for F2P characters since then. There are now 25 quests from 11 to 20 (and 4 F2P quests that are epic only).

https://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Free_to_Play_quests

As a free to play player I would recommend checking out the F2P quest list I linked above and making sure you run them all on elite or reaper to get as much favor (and thus free DDO store points) as possible. When it comes time to spend your DDO store points I would check out the list of adventure packs (linked below), sort them by Favor per 100 DP from highest to lowest, and buy them, when on sale, pretty much in that order. Reaver's Reach, for example, gives you the most favor per DDO store point spent and therefore is the easiest quest pack to farm to get your DDO store points back. The last quest in that chain is difficult to get a group for because of flagging, but you can get people to join you if you make it clear you want to do so.

The good news is that the top 3 quest packs on that list are all in the level range where you will definitely be wanting more quests to run (i.e. 16-19) so they will make excellent first purchases. Don't spend any of the DDO store points you get on anything but adventure packs and only when they are on sale.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Adventure_Packs

Since being premium comes with so many benefits I would strongly consider buying the first 2 expansions (Menace of the Underdark and Shadowfell) when they are 75% off in the DDO Market. Those two expansions are the only things that don't seem to ever be sold for DDO points so you will have to buy them with money if you ever want to have them, but they are quite cheap during the 75% off seasonal sales and then you finally will get all the benefits of being premium.

I only spent money in this game exactly once. I bought Menace of the Underdark. Luckily Shadowfell was available for DDO store points for a while and I was able to get it that way so I only had to buy the one expansion to have access to all content. If you like the game enough you probably won't mind spending a few dollars on those expansions when the time comes and until then you can play for free just fine.

Now that there are enough quests to get to 20 and you can repeat quests for experience you will have to decide if you will farm DDO points by playing every quest you own to get to 20 and then TRing to repeat the process or if you will do what we used to have to do when there were fewer quests and just play a character to farm all the lower level quests for DDO store points and then delete the character and start again. You can certainly do some of each. Perhaps try out all the different classes and builds on low level characters which you then delete and have a single real character that you level to 20 over and over again as you acquire past lives.

How is it to play as a f2p player?
    Short version: For new player is the same as premium and almost the same as VIP (subscription).
    Long version: In the beginning the only difference is less diversity with choice of race and class. But you have access to all core DnD races and classes. And some of them are superior to premium.

I heard its very content restrictive.
    Short version: Generally yes, but for new player is almost unnoticeable.
    Long version: For new player there is plenty of quest to do. Also you gain game currency (DDO points) just for playing the game. So after some time you can buy additional content. You will see difference when you reach level 10 or something (so usually after some days, maybe weeks)

You will not go far as a f2p player
    Short version: Unfortunately yes.
    Long version: When you reach higher levels (beyond 12) there is less f2p quest and more paid content. You could technically repeat a lot of quest and eventually gain the same power as Premium or VIP, but I don't recommended this way (it will be very boring). IMO Best way is to gain free DDO points (play one character on each server for 100 Favor). After that wait for Double DDO Bonus and buy some DDO Points. Then wait for discount week and buy additional content. You can find more tip on forum.

Nevertheless welcome. And remember: DDO Wiki is your friend
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    Player remembers. Player never forgets.
    I'm not native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    you can get to 20 on a ftp account.

it will be a big grind to get from 16-20, but it can be done.

FTP is a business strategy. its like giving out free samples at Baskin-Robbins. of course you will get more ice cream if you are willing to buy some.
    I have a completely f2p account that I do, and it's not bad at all, I've done four past lives so far and earned about 10 packs and a few other miscellaneous things like Deep Gnome and Half Elf and Harper and Epic Destinies. And this is a secondary account that I hardly play compared to my main account.

You can earn points to get EVERYTHING except 3 of the expansion packs on the DDO store (Ravenloft is on the store for points).

Now, my personal suggestion would be that if you have SOME money, get like 3 months of VIP and churn out a couple of past lives on a toon or three, because that gets you Elite unlock on quests and makes leveling SO much faster. And then just farm favor and TR. Save your points for when adventure packs go on sale, and when the yearly big sales come up get any races and classes and character options (like Epic Destinies) that come on sale. This also permanently gets rid of minor annoyances like the plat cap and auction house cap.

Community Member

Default My advice? No.

The more you play the game, the less you'll like being a free to play. If you want to play this game strictly as a free-to-play, though, I can't recommend it (if you're planning on reaching "end-game" and all of that, ya know).

I'm going to say for the most part (75%/25&), no, don't play the game if you plan on staying as a free-to-play.
    Also worth mentioning here is that even if you do spend money on the game, you still won't become "good". This game has a steep learning curve, like a curve that takes years to learn (especially for creating your character).

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    is it a f2p game? not even close
    While it may be 100% accurate "for you", that's just not true across the board. It all depends on the "game" the individual player likes to play. 100% a "ymmv" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    Occasionally the Catacombs Starter Pack goes on sale on Steam...
    One word of caution...

If you spend any RL cash on the DDO market, your F2P account is permanently upgraded to a Premium account, and that's a nice boost. +2 more character slots, full access to the Auciton House, a 4M plat cap from the start for every alt - nice. If you buy on Steam, you don't get that upgrade.

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Account_Comparisons

Catacombs does occasionally come on sale, usually either Back Friday/Monday (end of November) or the mid-winter holidaze sales.

GL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast