Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Default Grinding for clarification

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    While it may be 100% accurate "for you", that's just not true across the board. It all depends on the "game" the individual player likes to play. 100% a "ymmv" thing.
    What he means by that is, if you like extreme grinding, you might actually enjoy the game.

FYI Jarfaru, the only people (and I will correct this if anybody says otherwise) who claim that this game is f2p are the ones who've already spent money on it. Anyone who's actually done a little TP grinding themselves knows that it's not efficient in the least way possible. Even the people who have unlocked a lot through it don't talk about it as being a legitimate thing because it just takes that much effort.
    We only need to wait for all the 40 year olds in this game to start dying off, then it's Asheron's Call for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Goalt View Post
    What he means by that is, if you like extreme grinding, you might actually enjoy the game.

FYI Jarfaru, the only people (and I will correct this if anybody says otherwise) who claim that this game is f2p are the ones who've already spent money on it. Anyone who's actually done a little TP grinding themselves knows that it's not efficient in the least way possible. Even the people who have unlocked a lot through it don't talk about it as being a legitimate thing because it just takes that much effort.
    It's extreme grinding only at the beginning, until your first TR. After first painful TR it's much easier (hard opener) and in 3rd life (elite opener) is quite comfortable. You earn TP very fast, and can buy another packs very quickly.

But you are right: it's not efficient in any way. But grinding is never efficient...
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    Player remembers. Player never forgets.
    I'm not native speaker

Yup i mean, we all have seen/read robin guide to f2p, and favor farm on every toon, then wait for pack at hard discount, then favor farm that extra in every server to reach a new mile, and all... That thing to not even playing

Yes yes, it's super easy, superfast with an opener but... DDO is not that healthy game anymore, so OP will reach lvl 7, hit the house d & p and struggle to continue lvling "but guys in forum told me i could to do so"

When if the same player pays ot makes smart purchases, it will be a much better gaming experience for him, and therefore for the game

We can lvl and alt account with our main, parking it at entrance, purchasing passes so can reach the next favor mileage, etc but i doubt any1 here is willing to carry the OP to that extend

So when ppl say DDO is a f2p game... Well, you 're not forced to use real money in anything, but the era where we were farming the few existing packs, but now we don' t repeat any quest if not for gear (specially now with opts decay)

Think the OP is one friend of yours, pretty sure nobody would tell him it's a f2p game, sorry
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Quote Originally Posted by Jarfaru View Post
    How is it to play as a f2p player? I heard its very content restrictive. You will not go far as a f2p player.
    As a free to play character you can comfortably get your character up to somewhere around level 8 to 10 on the freely available quests. Your free to play character will be competitive with a first-life VIP or Premium player's character at those levels (not counting twinking).

At around level 8 the number of quests available for free thin out and you will either need to re-run quests you've already done to get XP to proceed or you will need to purchase quest packs. Considering that the Heroic game goes to level 20, you've had a pretty good taste of the game to decide if you like the game enough to buy a few quest packs.

If you don't actually have the money to buy even a single quest pack, you can get to level 20 and TR back to level 1 without spending any money. You will have earned enough DDO Store Points to buy a quest pack or two. BUT there will be a lot of repeating this level 1 through 20 to get points to buy more packs. It is a slow process. On the other hand, each time you do this your character gets a little bit tougher, so you would be doing it anyway. You just don't get as much variety in quests. This is what most of the other replies refer to as the heavy grinding in the game (they are right).
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

What I mean is "ymmv", which is exactly what I said and why I said it. Diff people are different. For example, if you think that a 100-favor run (see below) is "extreme grinding", you and I have VERY different use of that term. Very.

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    Think the OP is one friend of yours, pretty sure nobody would tell him it's a f2p game, sorry
    Sorry, have to disagree. The true F2P favor-farm thing is not for everyone, but it is for some. If OP were a friend, I'd know them and whether that is/not so here, but as it is I'll offer it as an option....

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    As a free to play character ... Considering that the Heroic game goes to level 20, you've had a pretty good taste of the game to decide if you like the game enough to buy a few quest packs... If you don't actually have the money to buy even a single quest pack, you can get to level 20 and TR back to level 1 without spending any money. You will have earned enough DDO Store Points to buy a quest pack or two...
    @ OP - In DDO, there is a mechanism called "Favor". You get Favor by running a quest. More Favor is earned by running a quest on Hard or (better) Elite at least once - doesn't matter how many times you run it, only the highest difficulty ever that counts.

For every 100 Favor you earn, you get 25 DDO Points (aka DP). For the first time on any one server that you earn 100 Favor, you earn a bonus of +100 DP. There are 8 Servers. So, if you take the time to run to 100 (which should be easy by level 6 or so) on all 8 servers*), you will have achieved several goals...

(* Solo, as non-VIP, you can't open Elite to begin with, so you'd have to run Normal, then Hard, then Elite - which is slow. But if you jump in with a group, or (better) just state what you're doing ("100-Favor run, need Opener"), others should join to help who CAN open Elite to start with. A fast 100-favor run will easily take less than 2 hours, possibly half of that, during which time an alt will become level 3-4.)

• Had a chance to try out (at least) 8 different character builds, at least at a low level.
    • Had first-hand experience w/ each of the different Severs (Wayfinder is very sleepy, btw, but that doesn't matter for soloing)
    • Earned (at least) 1,000 DP

With 1,000 DP, you can easily buy one of the more recommended adventure packs*, or a couple of the many others.

(* Read link in sig re "How to choose...", and/or https://ddowiki.com/page/Adventure_Packs)

And if, during that 8-server tour, you have a "main" and have raised that up to Level 7 or so, you might easily have something like +75 DP more (and have earned Drow Race "for free" on that Sever - via Total Favor). And thus you have the adventure packs you need, and stay F2P without ~too~ much grinding (ymmv) or spending money.

(Note - Some F2P do favor runs regularly for the +25 DP (after the first time on a server) - it's a thing. Now, there is no argument that, for the time spent, washing a car or mowing a lawn or just brown-bagging lunch one day and just buying $10 worth of DDO Points is better $/hour spent, but, for some, that's not the point. Ymmv.).

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Free_to_Play

This is only the best Free to Play game that I've spent over $150 on!

I'm going to say for the most part (75%/25&), no, don't play the game if you plan on staying as a free-to-play.
    Also worth mentioning here is that even if you do spend money on the game, you still won't become "good". This game has a steep learning curve, like a curve that takes years to learn (especially for creating your character).
    I respectfully disagree, at least with the first part. Taking a look at pretty much every modern MMORPG-type that I know of, you either have a large initial investment (boxed games like Guild Wars) or a much nastier mercenary incremental purchase environment (Neverwinter).

As for becoming "good", well... it's a frickin' game. If someone's wrapped around the axle about their character's progress, I almost envy the luxurious life they must be leading. For my part, I'm supporting a wife and putting a kid through university, so my disposable income is disposed of months before I see it. Free to Play DDO is superior to pretty much any game I'm aware of that has the depth & breadth adults are interested in.

I started f2p, bought packs at Christmas that temporarily made me VIP, have been casually playing Premium for years and STILL have yet to push a character over level 20. I've spent far more than I ever intended since I dual box for my son's account, and that's why the game is still afloat with new content.

If anyone feels like sneering at me as a n00b, I say go for it - but I doubt anyone will. Not just because DDO has a pleasant lack of bellends and a far more mature, welcoming player set, but also because DDO could have gone with EVE's f2p model and VIP's would be paying even more!

PS I would suggest that I made three bad moves starting out:
    1. thinking this game has any parallels to pencil & paper style (I started out trying to play something which only in recent years is recognized as the Eldritch Knight)
    2. starting multiple toons on multiple servers trying to farm favor & unlock content. I'd have been better off sticking with a single server, because I spend more time managing inventory than I do questing.
    3. not cultivating friends, meaning a guild; by being spread across multiple servers, I don't dedicate time to questing in a party and that's a substantial disadvantage.

It is like driving a wheelcart next to F-22 hangars.

Community Member

If you play the 1st time favor game on every server you rack up a decent starting pool of DDO points as well as an idea of what kinda of character you want to play. From there you wait for store sales and strategically buy adventure packs that cover missing xp ranges.

It does take some time to get a f2p account rolling, but once you have a clean 1-30 path to TR you start steadily racking up the DDO points and just keep buying modules on sale.

That being said, even a small amount of money spent can make the whole process a lot faster...and really if you end up liking the game you should probably at least support it a little bit.

Also note for a mostly f2p account you want to make sure you don't have active VIP during the holiday/black Friday sales.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

It's free... of course it's worth a try haha. If you love the game after some hours and think the f2p model is worth it you can continue playing it. If you don't like it then you just go play something else.
    At first a lot of f2p content might feel hidden though since it's not that clear where to find it and you run into payed content a lot. But there is quite a lot f2p and they keep adding new f2p quests too. Just use the wiki to see what stuff is f2p and where to find it
    Last edited by ShifterThePirate; 09-20-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Exactly. Very few things that are truly "free" (and DDO qualifies) are not worth the time. Imo, the free part of this game is VERY worth the time.

The DDOWiki can help show what is/not F2P

o 4 Races (& 5 w Drow) https://ddowiki.com/page/Races
    o 9 classes https://ddowiki.com/page/Classes
    o many quests https://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Fr...lay#Quest_list
    o & more: https://ddowiki.com/page/Account_comparisons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12