Default Reaper XP strategies

So, just wondering if anyone has figured out a good way to farm Rxp on hardcore?
    (aside from using a xp pot - which I may end up doing)

100,000 Rxp is not easily obtained without taking some risks. I for one would like to get there without running (most) every quest up to level 16 or so on Reaper.
    Some quests just aren't worth the risk (I ran Proof on Elite) while others are easy enough that you can solo them without much difficulty.
    I have completed all level 4's +STK and Tangleroot.

I am at level 6 on a warlock and have been 'farming' level 2 & 3 for the last few days. Without the first time playthrough bonus the Rxp is pretty meager and its a bit tedious but it's 'safe' and I have earned 4 reaper points so far. The problem is I am only earning about ~1500 Rxp a day and at some point I will need to level up and take on more quests. I think after I earn my 5th reaper point I will move up to 7 then 9 but not sure if there is an ideal place to farm. Some 3BC quests are easy enough, but there's only a handful of them. 6 has some short quests but they either have traps or casters.

My main problems are: 1) Traps, 2) champion casters, 3) low health, low defenses against things like poison or elemental dots
    Trappers are easy enough to find, but I am not seeing many LFMs for reaper above level 4. IDK maybe they are there and I am just missing them; and I can post an LFM myself once I level.

I haven't decided if I will go for 20 Reaper points... I'll wait until I get to 10 to worry about that but I don't want to skip too many quests in case i decide to do that.
    Last edited by hp1055cm; 08-27-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm
    Makes me think that other post was your sock account.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    Incorrect. Post reported.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    So, just wondering if anyone has figured out a good way to farm Rxp on hardcore?
    (aside from using a xp pot - which I may end up doing)

100,000 Rxp is not easily obtained without taking some risks. I for one would like to get there without running (most) every quest up to level 16 or so on Reaper.
    Some quests just aren't worth the risk (I ran Proof on Elite) while others are easy enough that you can solo them without much difficulty.
    I have completed all level 4's +STK and Tangleroot.

I am at level 6 on a warlock and have been 'farming' level 2 & 3 for the last few days. Without the first time playthrough bonus the Rxp is pretty meager and its a bit tedious but it's 'safe' and I have earned 4 reaper points so far. The problem is I am only earning about ~1500 Rxp a day and at some point I will need to level up and take on more quests. I think after I earn my 5th reaper point I will move up to 7 then 9 but not sure if there is an ideal place to farm. Some 3BC quests are easy enough, but there's only a handful of them. 6 has some short quests but they either have traps or casters.

My main problems are: 1) Traps, 2) champion casters, 3) low health, low defenses against things like poison or elemental dots
    Trappers are easy enough to find, but I am not seeing many LFMs for reaper above level 4. IDK maybe they are there and I am just missing them; and I can post an LFM myself once I level.

I haven't decided if I will go for 20 Reaper points... I'll wait until I get to 10 to worry about that but I don't want to skip too many quests in case i decide to do that.
    cheap trapper hireling avoids traps, warlocks can get low hanging resist buff form ES tree that hits all resists, stacks with ship buffs, can also get energy absorb items off AH. casters - cc los between casts etc tactics. just do everything r1 4 levels over, its tedious but youll get to 100k.
    Triple All

Ghallanda forever.

Community Member

Well, I've been running solo R1s as a FvS with a trapper hireling when required. I just hit 40k reaper xp (name is 'I'), and 1500 favor. As Vorachtin said, a hireling if you can afford one and absorb items are key. I also know a couple of people who plan to just level up until they get shining through on their warlock, then safely farm rxp.

I have to say I am curious though what some of the top guys have been doing - out of the top 5 on the reaper xp leaderboard, only 2 are on the favor leaderboard. Cripeyy at 61k / 2000 and myself and 40k / 1500. That leaves the three people with 100k, 64k and 42k with under 1500 favor.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Codect View Post
    Well, I've been running solo R1s as a FvS with a trapper hireling when required. I just hit 40k reaper xp (name is 'I'), and 1500 favor. As Vorachtin said, a hireling if you can afford one and absorb items are key. I also know a couple of people who plan to just level up until they get shining through on their warlock, then safely farm rxp.

I have to say I am curious though what some of the top guys have been doing - out of the top 5 on the reaper xp leaderboard, only 2 are on the favor leaderboard. Cripeyy at 61k / 2000 and myself and 40k / 1500. That leaves the three people with 100k, 64k and 42k with under 1500 favor.
    I can shed some light on this. I’m “Jonathan” I’m no longer on the board because I TRed. I was at roughly 2.8k favor before I did

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSuperman View Post
    I can shed some light on this. I’m “Jonathan” I’m no longer on the board because I TRed. I was at roughly 2.8k favor before I did
    Ah, well that makes sense. Although I must say I'm disappointed there isn't some hidden strategy I'm not privy to.

Community Member

Stratis/Hopeslayer here. Here's the number 1 tip for easy reaper xp.

Make friends.

There are not many people willing to run reaper, so when you group with other reaper players in your level range, add them to your friends list. I know when I log on, the first thing I do is check if any of my friends are on and if they are in groups. I've soloed up to R2, but it can be risky. Having just 1 other decent player in a quest makes it vastly easier. I was able to get a group together last night and did R1 ToEE part 1, something I never would have tried solo. 2 good players should be able to crush most quests on R1. You just need to make friends.

Also, I think players are more likely to join Reaper LFMs if they see that it's not just some guy by himself hoping to run reaper stuff. If there's already someone else in the party, they are more likely to join. Which goes back to my point, if you can make a solid friend, R1 should be easy. Then the LFM is just to speed things up if more people join, not to ensure completion.
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...il-of-the-Bard

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetigers33 View Post
    Stratis/Hopeslayer here. Here's the number 1 tip for easy reaper xp.

Make friends.

There are not many people willing to run reaper, so when you group with other reaper players in your level range, add them to your friends list. I know when I log on, the first thing I do is check if any of my friends are on and if they are in groups. I've soloed up to R2, but it can be risky. Having just 1 other decent player in a quest makes it vastly easier. I was able to get a group together last night and did R1 ToEE part 1, something I never would have tried solo. 2 good players should be able to crush most quests on R1. You just need to make friends.

Also, I think players are more likely to join Reaper LFMs if they see that it's not just some guy by himself hoping to run reaper stuff. If there's already someone else in the party, they are more likely to join. Which goes back to my point, if you can make a solid friend, R1 should be easy. Then the LFM is just to speed things up if more people join, not to ensure completion.
    meh i disagree, most of my 60k reaper points came from just tossing up r1 lfms. True that most of the people that join huddle near the entrance like scared penguins forgetting that r1 is almost the exact same as elite anyway.

remember any monkey can make a survivable toon and get the favor rewards, looking forward to seeing who the people are that legit earn the 20 reaper point pet.
    Triple All

Ghallanda forever.

Cool Some thoughts about rxp

It seems unlikely that you will earn 100k rxp before taking level 20 if you are running R1, 4 levels above the quest.
    The 10% penalty isn't that much on a single quest but will end up costing you 10k rxp by the time you get 10 reaper points.
    R1 just doesn't provide enough rxp considering that you will skip a number of quests along the way, and probably avoid most quests at/above level 17 on reaper.

Assuming that no one is planning on running reaper in epics then either you have to plan for a TR at 20, or run higher level reaper on at least about 1/4 or more of the quests.
    Or you could chug some xp pots along the way I suppose.
    Its been a couple of days since my latest untimely death at 16 but I was running with 10% pots from eberron stones and ran a couple dozen quests at R2 (included the quest I died in). I had around 64k rxp while running level 12/13 quests. Even then I was thinking I might have to re-run quests to get to 100k.

As for TR I doubt it will be easy finding people willing to run EE to farm tokens, so you could be looking at 60+ token runs to get enough for a heart.
    Rumor is that you won't be able to run House C challenges at level 21. Not sure about DA on EN but I doubt anyone will pass you tokens...
    Of course you could just buy a heart from the store.
    If you are going for 20 reaper points you will certainly have to do at least 1 TR; probably 2.
    Last edited by hp1055cm; 09-06-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm
    Makes me think that other post was your sock account.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    Incorrect. Post reported.

Community Member

It seems unlikely that you will earn 100k rxp before taking level 20 if you are running R1, 4 levels above the quest.
    The 10% penalty isn't that much on a single quest but will end up costing you 10k rxp by the time you get 10 reaper points.
    R1 just doesn't provide enough rxp considering that you will skip a number of quests along the way, and probably avoid most quests at/above level 17 on reaper.

Assuming that no one is planning on running reaper in epics then either you have to plan for a TR at 20, or run higher level reaper on at least about 1/4 or more of the quests.
    Or you could chug some xp pots along the way I suppose.
    Its been a couple of days since my latest untimely death at 16 but I was running with 10% pots from eberron stones and ran a couple dozen quests at R2 (included the quest I died in). I had around 64k rxp while running level 12/13 quests. Even then I was thinking I might have to re-run quests to get to 100k.

As for TR I doubt it will be easy finding people willing to run EE to farm tokens, so you could be looking at 60+ token runs to get enough for a heart.
    Rumor is that you won't be able to run House C challenges at level 21. Not sure about DA on EN but I doubt anyone will pass you tokens...
    Of course you could just buy a heart from the store.
    If you are going for 20 reaper points you will certainly have to do at least 1 TR; probably 2.

can do 60k rxp by level 14 doing r1s (highest ive got so far) so 100k by 20 seems easy
    Triple All

Ghallanda forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetigers33 View Post
    ... I've soloed up to R2, but it can be risky...
    100,000 Rxp is not easily obtained without taking some risks.
    I find R2 not ~that~ much tougher than R1. This assumes you have the tools to handle R1, of course. (R3, for some reason, seems to jump in difficulty.)

So, depending how you feel you've been handling R1, don't be shy about R2 - it helps the xp.

I for one would like to get there without running (most) every quest up to level 16 or so on Reaper.
    Well, running "all" quests on either E or R will max your Favor, which is another race.

But the RXP grows significantly as the level of the quests grow - by end Heroics, rather than getting 250 on first run, you're getting around 1k, and re-runs, instead of high double-digits, are pulling in low triples.

You don't need "good luck", you just need "no bad luck". And, to paraphrase Napoleon, "The good gamer makes their own luck". So just stay smart, plan ahead, don't get greedy, don't rush, (don't play when you're tired!), consider the true difficulty of the quest, put extra weight into random spawns (especially of large groups, that may spawn multiple reapers!) - and... make some good luck.

Community Member

I only have one reaper point so far on HC, so I certainly am no expert for giving advice in this area. What I have noticed at lower levels is there really doesn't seem to be much difference between R1 & R2, so maybe running R2 instead would be worth chancing it, particularly at +4 levels.

Next, I've been playing around with using/not using Augment Summons and I have to say it feels significantly different and far more survivable having those potentially throw-away hit points between a reaper and you. I've mapped my Shift-E key to the Hireling Bar Slot 5. This serves two purposes: When I am on a ship with a pet (often a skeleton), I can press "E" to grab the Resist Energy buffs, and then Shift-E immediately to have my pet do the same. This practice makes buffing almost as fast as without a pet. The second use is that it sends all pets and hires to attack when targeting an enemy, or to pull levers and open doors. Augmented Rogue hires are just better too. Another trick I occasionally use is to have one pet/hire guard another. Then I might tell one, my skeleton for example, to open a door while the cleric hire is guarding him. This often prioritizes the attacks on the skeleton first, then the cleric second.

I completely expect to have to swap the Augment Summons feat out by level 10 or so, since the effectiveness of hires and pets drops significantly about that time.

Another thing to remember about using pets and hires is to buff them. Grab wands of Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Cat's Grace, and Blur to use to buff pets and hires. It's not much, but when your pet/hire is one hit away from killing a reaper and is one hit away from being killed, every advantage can help. Artificers: Did you know you can buff your turret, like with Blur and Bear's Endurance, for a tougher longer-lasting turret? They can also be repaired with any repair spell. If a narrow margin goes against you and you didn't buff your pets and hires, that's on you. I don't recommend using buffs on summoned creatures since they generally cost less to just cast a new one. The only case when this isn't true is when you are relying on a summoned critter to do damage and you need it to stick around as long as possible (Flame Turrets). Otherwise, I wouldn't waste any resources on a summoned monster/animal.

Using pets and hires, I stand back and assess the situation from a safer distance. For example, if I see two reapers ahead, I usually exit the dungeon quickly and start again. Otherwise, I'll target the worst bad guy and Shift-E my pet and hire to attack that. I am currently playing a wizard for my Reaper quests, so I've taken some low-cost high-damage high-distance spells like the AM Magic Missile (Max+Emp) and Acid Bolt. Once my pet and hire have aggro, I help a lot by knocking off at least 50% of a reaper's hit points with those two spells. This toon just made level 5, so I can't even do +4 over quest level on reaper yet, but I've finished all the level 2 quests.

I don't do optional quests on reaper and actively try to avoid fights unless I need to kill enough mobs to get that reaper xp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    You don't need "good luck", you just need "no bad luck". And, to paraphrase Napoleon, "The good gamer makes their own luck". So just stay smart, plan ahead, don't get greedy, don't rush, (don't play when you're tired!), consider the true difficulty of the quest, put extra weight into random spawns (especially of large groups, that may spawn multiple reapers!) - and... make some good luck.
    In my experience, there is no such thing as luck...
    Not charming the Fear Reaper also helps.

Not being afraid to run away… restarting / (re-)learning the quest is quicker than doing the Korthos Walk of Shame...
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member

I got a character to Level 20 today, so have the scarf/cloak cosmetic.
    I was thinking of trying for the Reaper reward, but 100k RXP is a lot.
    My level 20 has two reaper points, from joining some R1 pugs, but mainly did elite.

Should I TR and go for reaper?
    Start a new character with some hand-me-down loot?
    Try for reaper XP at epic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    Start a new character with some hand-me-down loot?
    This gets my vote.
    TRing means you need more xp per level... an unnecessary annoyance with no benefits... unless your "past life" really brings something to the table.
    Or unless you have some really cool btc gear?
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Quote Originally Posted by AlmGhandi View Post
    In my experience, there is no such thing as luck...
    Because no one has ever run into 3 Reapers spawning at once.

Community Member

Default Sorc Reaper Thinkin

Currently playing a sorc. I assume there are multiple break points in reaper where avoidance spells succes. Having 200+ HP seems to cover my bacon pretty darn well through all level 5s. The content i'm headed towards seems to require 400 for a similar level of safety, and even 400 in some Ravenloft content will be sketchy. I'm speaking about comfortable buffers. Similar to DCs. If I can get my sorc DCs into the early to mid thirtys by level 12 , that's plenty in heroics.... not really enough for a "DC" caster.

Those types of consideration I mention above play into my reaper strategy. I think I will shoot for easier reaper quest on my way to 20, and even pick up easy XP to spped the leveling along. I'd rather not, favor and reaper together. So i look at a TR as an opportunity for easier, if lower, reaper XP.. That's my slow roll path for RXP.