Thread: Eldritch Knight

Community Member

Default Eldritch Knight

Hello Internet.

I'm a recurring "new" player - this will be the 5th time I have tried to get into DDO, but the first in many years.
    I've taken a look at all the options, and I really like the spellblade archetype - and the Eldritch Knight seema perfect for that.

How viable is it for a first incarnation, and would it be better to go Wizard or Sorc?

Community Member

Welcome back!

If you're starting fresh, I'd recommend Wizard. Pale Master just got a pretty impressive update and provides pretty good self-healing over time - you may not even need to run with a hireling. You've also got more spell slots (for buffs, mostly, since your DCs won't be great) and better synergy with Rogue (for evasion and trapping, if that floats your boat). I'd recommend pure Wizard or 18 Wiz / 2 Rogue

Totally viable for a first life character I prefer wizard since the extra feats are really handy.

You'll need INT & CON primarily plus you'll want to make a choice of 2handed fighting (in which case add STR), 2 weapon fighting (DEX) or single weapon & orb (put points into the balance skill).

If you have access to the harper tree that's a bonus since you'll be able to get INT to damage as well as to-hit, but it's not as essential.

Race-wise, warforged is naturally a strong choice. If you go fleshy then you'll need some other way to help heal yourself - dragonmarked halfling is pretty solid since you'll have those extra metamagic feats to boost them, wild elf can get the vigor SLA in their racial tree though it'll take a while before you get there (also not used it personally so not sure how much healing it gives), or you can go pale master & heal yourself through negative energy. For simplicity's sake, I think warforged is your best bet.

The main thing to watch out for is that once you get the knight's transformation stance, your spell range will basically be the end of your weapon, though the area of effect of spells like fireball, chain missiles, mass hold, chain lightning etc. will still remain the same. They (and your spellsword imbue damage) get an extra kick equivalent to having a constantly active action boost. This is also why you'll want to make sure to have invested in a combat style line, since once you get into epic levels you can activate the epic defensive stance for a handy extra HP boost with no change to the playstyle you'll have gotten used to by then

You won't really be able to pull off top-end DC casting, but make sure to target the appropriate saves & you should be able to do ok for most content. Remember that their whole thing is to constantly mix magic & melee, as they'll constantly boost each other - CC, blast & thwack your way through your enemies! It's awesome & kinda hilarious to play a traditionally squishy wizard as a screaming berserker in the front lines
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Community Member

do you have access to Harper Agent enhancements? INT to damage helps significantly.
    wizards have bonus feats, those can really help when you try to fill multiple roles - melee and casting

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    Totally viable for a first life character I prefer wizard since the extra feats are really handy.

You'll need INT & CON primarily plus you'll want to make a choice of 2handed fighting (in which case add STR), 2 weapon fighting (DEX) or single weapon & orb (put points into the balance skill).

If you have access to the harper tree that's a bonus since you'll be able to get INT to damage as well as to-hit, but it's not as essential.

Race-wise, warforged is naturally a strong choice. If you go fleshy then you'll need some other way to help heal yourself - dragonmarked halfling is pretty solid since you'll have those extra metamagic feats to boost them, wild elf can get the vigor SLA in their racial tree though it'll take a while before you get there (also not used it personally so not sure how much healing it gives), or you can go pale master & heal yourself through negative energy. For simplicity's sake, I think warforged is your best bet.

The main thing to watch out for is that once you get the knight's transformation stance, your spell range will basically be the end of your weapon, though the area of effect of spells like fireball, chain missiles, mass hold, chain lightning etc. will still remain the same. They (and your spellsword imbue damage) get an extra kick equivalent to having a constantly active action boost. This is also why you'll want to make sure to have invested in a combat style line, since once you get into epic levels you can activate the epic defensive stance for a handy extra HP boost with no change to the playstyle you'll have gotten used to by then

You won't really be able to pull off top-end DC casting, but make sure to target the appropriate saves & you should be able to do ok for most content. Remember that their whole thing is to constantly mix magic & melee, as they'll constantly boost each other - CC, blast & thwack your way through your enemies! It's awesome & kinda hilarious to play a traditionally squishy wizard as a screaming berserker in the front lines
    Cheers! Is it better to go Shields and heavier armour, or stick with medium? Aasimar looked like it might have some nifty traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhamp View Post
    Cheers! Is it better to go Shields and heavier armour, or stick with medium? Aasimar looked like it might have some nifty traits.
    You'll have to watch out for spell failure... my warforged EK uses 2handers & i went with adamantine body, the inscribed armour enhancements helped but in the earlier levels ASF is something to watch out for - i guess mithril body could provide some handy extra defences & then can be switched out later once you get more ASF reduction for better overall defenses.

For armour type on a fleshy, if you're going pure then go as heavy as you can handle; armored arcana in tier 4 will cancel out failure from light & medium armour completely, so the ASF from the cores will then go towards preventing your shield hindering spellcasting instead - you'll get some nice defensive boosts but just be aware if you're running in epics, shield feats don't count for the extra HP from epic defensive fighting. Personally I'd go light & then medium armour with 1hander & orb for the extra offensive kick & better saves. If you're going with the rogue splash idea then you'll want to stick with light armour to take advantage of evasion.

Aasimar is certainly viable, but isn't the most optimum choice since you'll need to make sure you have some wisdom for the healing hands ability in addition to your other stats, which can leave you spread a little thin.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.