Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Me noticing you died at 25% HP due to me not knowing if you had 300 HP or 900 HP:
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Quote Originally Posted by False_Gods View Post
    This is an exact repeat of what happened 10 years ago when they started showing eveyrone's HP. It killed off half the population. Which is why there is no one on the regular servers today. Taking away everyone's twink gear breathed some new life into the game and that is why people are enjoying the hardcore server.
    My experience is that people are way less judgmental about your toons today than they were in 2010. Your rose colored glasses have a heavy tint. There used to be so much exclusion based on class, gear, hp, etc. I very rarely see any of that these days. When THtH was new and challenging a raid leader asked me if my druid was a caster or DPS, and it made me realize no one had asked me anything like that in years. "First 5 to hit the LFM and go" was a radical idea when it first started showing up. For the first few years getting quizzed by party leaders before running Durk's was the norm.

Even on the Hardcore server people seem pretty chill.

It's always strange when I come to the forums and see people talking about a game I don't recognize at all despite the fact I log in most days.
    Sabbath - Sarlona

Assuming this is coming from Hardcore server experiences / feedback.

Con has never really been a dumpstat in DDO, on Hardcore it simply cannot be at all and since it's all naked first life toons. basically you get 2 full stats or 2 decent and 1 mediocre as your choices that are reasonably viable. If you are Pugging with your 8 Con Rogue you are at an elevated risk of going down quick and losing a slot for the PUG that could have someone with more HP and ability to stay up in it.

I am pretty accommodating on live for sure, but when death = loss of all progress made then yeah, I can see how people get discriminating. If it looks like your Elf dumped CON and you are running in Wind Stance ... it should not be a surprise if the party is not going to want you.

Don't get me wrong, I have an Elf Sorc/Monk that runs at 19 with 4 Con and something like 48 HP, I can gear up to get that to about 200 or so but it was a challenge build pre-reaper just to see if I could get it to 20. He can run Elites, never stepped into a reaper and I sure has hell wouldn't expect to take him into a PUG though even on a regular server.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maldorin View Post
    I remember years ago the first time someone used my ddo and examined my equipped gear. Which I had not known was possible... I felt... Violated.

That being said, if you're worried about people seeing your hit points, you probably don't have enough.
    I remember years ago when there were LFM's at level 3 that said, "Must have 100+ hp". Granted, that was back when we all took a 10% experience penalty if anyone died and back when getting 100 hit points at level 3 was not extremely common. Now I always have 100 hp at level 3 and it isn't because I take the barbarian past life at level 3 like I used to.

The only thing I have seen recently is people getting kicked when joining a Killing Time raid because their hit points were too low. Frankly, I think the real problem is content that automatically hurts everyone at once even if they are being careful. People with low hit points should be able to avoid getting hurt if they work at it. This is pretty much what being a new player is all about when joining reaper groups.

Community Member

HP are the "brown M&Ms" of building a toon (if you don't get the reference Google Van Halen and Brown M&Ms.

if you've taken the time to get good HP on your toon odds are you've covered everything else.

I can count the number of good toons with low HP that I've encountered on 1 finger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alled78 View Post
    Why should i use all my neural cells when i can go inqui and go pew pew pew ???

And anyone who thinks people don't jack up their HP to the highest they can be for the first and foremost reason because that stat is on display for eveyrone to see is lying to themselves. Personally I am sick and tired of seeing it, and I don't want you nosing around in mine.
    I don't.

Doing this has NEVER crossed my mind.

I'm not saying no one has ever done it. I will say, as a small guild leader, none of the 8 people in my guild do this either. I know because I spend a lot of time helping people in my guild with their builds.

You keep attacking non-problems here, and sadly, you are just wrong. Please go back to the useful post(s) like where you actually gave helpful info about the champion poison dot.
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    Me noticing you died at 25% HP due to me not knowing if you had 300 HP or 900 HP:
    Right?

I play a healer on both regular and the HC. Knowing what the full bar means is actually helpful info.
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by redoubt View Post
    Right?

I play a healer on both regular and the HC. Knowing what the full bar means is actually helpful info.
    Exactly. Unless they're giving healers unlimited spell points, knowing what heal is needed to be used is vital to playing a healer class.

I don’t really see an issue here. Knowing how many hit points everyone in the party has, and is helpful to know how much of a buffer people have before they might die, and if they are hurt what type of cure to give them. The OP hasn’t provided enough information on what the real problem is.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

The pendulum swings between kill count and hit points as the measuring stick. Apparently it swung back to hit points again.

Theres no shortage of people dying left and right on the HC server. I usually see 3-4 messages just while logging in. I have seen a few con build abominations die in groups, as well as a few low max hp chance takers. Theres still some "kill everything at run speed" inertia in the general DDO population over there which makes it even more dangerous than playing regular PD with more restrictions, as those folks are generally far more patient.

This hearkens to the days of.....

MYDDO, where people would look you up before accepting for a raid.

Link DR breakers..... for the same.

BYOH...

Know the quest,.....

I used to keep a list on a notepad of people that had that in their lfm's. Those people never got Christmas cards from me, *and an auto-decline* when they hit my lfm's

Now I just don't care about people that feel the need to screen others. I ignore them. I belong to a great guild, if I NEED to run something, I ask them, that solves a lot of these related issues.

OP, I say NO to your proposal. Next time you have an issue with people that want to screen you, critique your build, tell them to take a leap.

Actually thats not the case at all, I am sticking up for people who have very few HP. I enjoy playing with a wide variety of people and I enjoy the game when other people are enjoying the game. When I and everyone in the group has 200-300 HP and someone joins with around 100 HP because they didn't pick Warforge or Dragonborn, or Barbarian, or Favored Soul or whatever, I acutely feel their embarressment and pain. The fact is there is no reason whatsoever to put everyone's Hit Points on display for everyone else to see.

Personally I don't give a dam* what anyone thinks about HP, I have had sorcerer's w/ 3000+ HP, I sometimes play characters that are not focused on having so many. What I am tired of is the people that I enjoy playing with being ostracized in the game and being made to feel like they are not welcome because their personal statistics are needlessly on display for others to see.

And anyone who thinks people don't jack up their HP to the highest they can be for the first and foremost reason because that stat is on display for eveyrone to see is lying to themselves. Personally I am sick and tired of seeing it, and I don't want you nosing around in mine.
    Con is not a dump stat on any build but this would seem especially true on the hardcore server.

If you're tired of seeing everyone else's hp hit alt z problem solved if you don't want them to see yours don't join the group
    Main 100+ Lives ( 42/42 HTR - 15/21 ITR - 36/36 ETR - 12/14 RAP - 30/36 RTR - 83/154 ), Jynxer - Completionist ( 22/42 HTR - 7/21 ITR - 12/36 ETR - 2/14 RAP - 1/36 RTR - 36/154 ), SoulDuster - Completionist ( 15x HTR 3x ETR 20/154 ) BlakReign - 1st Life Reaper https://ibb.co/album/k1hMqa https://ibb.co/album/g0yuAa https://ibb.co/album/bXjCWF

Not too long ago, you might've been denied from entering an end-game raid because your character wasn't well equipped, or strong enough. We used to be able to see almost -all- details about your character, including equipment, before even letting you in the group. Hitpoints alone aren't a good enough measure of character survivability (unless you notice a level 30 with like, 200 hp).

So no, no, the system we have isn't as bad or worse than it was in the past.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Hard Cores: Rise of the HP Police.
    I gave up a life of farming to become an Adventurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

This is a fantastic idea, OP. Yes let's do this. But make it electable so you can hide it, and so I can boot you or quit groups when there are people with hidden HP in the group who expect me to heal them.

Any of you remember when we could view people's gear on MyDDO? Good times, many threads like this. OP would be falling off his chair if that was still happening.
    Last edited by locus; 08-26-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Actually thats not the case at all, I am sticking up for people who have very few HP....
    Once upuon a time in this game, all characters' character sheets were open for public examination. This led to a lot of elitism and exclusion of "inferior" builds, or just inferior gearing. And that was unfortunate, so it was discontinued. (And that was unfortunate too, but for diff reasons.)

However, look at it this way...

If I'm leading a party that's going into a known situation, and I know that the Boss can deal, say, 200 damage/shot, then I might want characters who can take at least 2 above-average hits without dying. So, anyone with less than 500 HP is a liability. And anyone with less than 250 is risking a one-shot and just kidding themselves, and wasting my time!

That's a hardline attitude, but it's also one that does not sacrifice my game time to help someone who isn't as strong. In short, it's not my job to drag the weak through a tough quest (and ESPECIALLY not on the HCL server where one weak player might mean my death). Pirate code- if you fall behind, you're left behind - only it happens before the quest starts.

Now, "I" don't follow this doctrine, but I've been on the other end of it, and I don't for a second resent it. I completely understand and respect it, even if I don't share it. It's not "my" call where a party leader sets the bar for a PUG, and "survivability" is a very reasonable bar to set, all things to consider.

Just another way to play the game - feel free to play it differently, but don't tell others that they have to play your way.

Uhmmm.... CON is not a dump stat!!!

Sounds like you just need to solo everything.

I use this on my healer when healing parties. It is useful for determining who needs attention more urgently than others. I don't use it to ridicule or judge people's builds or play style.

I've seen people with a lot of HP contribute very little and die a lot.

I've seen people with low HP contribute a lot and be able to play their character and stay alive.

If you contribute to the party, I think highly of your character. Regardless of your HP.
    If you die a lot and don't contribute, I think poorly of your character. Regardless of your HP.

Player knowledge, skill and in game choices matter more than HP.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12