Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 162
  1. #41
    Community Member Grailhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SynalonEtuul View Post
    Release notes and meta are very different things.

    There implementation of Reaper has too many setting for R1 to be the place for "the toughest adventurers" if there had only been 2 or 3 that might have been true.

  2. #42
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SynalonEtuul View Post
    Ask the OP who described themself as one.
    I'm asking you, since you more or less said that "casuals" shouldn't be able to play reaper. I may or may not agree with you, depending on how you define "casual."
    A little snark, no vitriol.
    (with credit to HungarianRhapsody)


    Graceana, assassin ~ Xiya, tempest ~ Shinshi, shintao ~ Ayaxi, thief-acrobat ~ Saravi, cleric ~ Sanziana, arcane archer ~ Kyudojin, mechanic
    Talvi, caster druid ~ Zinzie, sorc ~ Kishori, spellsinger ~ Faunia, wolf druid ~ Viven, warchanter ~ Jianqiao, ninja spy
    Cliodna, wizard ~ Serenwyn, swashbuckler ~ Duisteri, shuribuild ~ Mahuika, warlock ~ Narabali, tank ~ Tabbithah, artificer
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

  3. #43
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    Just level your melee as an inquisitor for the first 28 levels, then once you have dire charge and cap coordinated healer/tank/support/dps groups swap to melee.

    The two main feats you want are IC:R and Rapid Reload. You can free and astral shard swap them out at 29.

    Or master Soundburst, which is the single most powerful and useful spell in all of DDO for leveling in reaper.
    Ironically Soundburst is significantly better than Dire Charge.

    Love your leveling idea though! But why even bother to swap over if Inq is still better at cap too? Remember the good old days when you didn't need the free 25% fort bypass from a universal tree just to land critical hits and sneak attacks?

    Personally though melee was the last style I mastered in DDO. And since it was the hardest - already needing to pay much more attention to positioning, tactical attacks failed a lot even with 'no fail' dc because of attack bonus and grazing hits, and just the overall level of battlefield micromanagement needed. Now that that playstyle is garbage I can go back to pew pew pew and be a low quality lazy player that somehow manages to overperform (oh noes, there goes that bad word!) because I know how to meta and a OP tree that encourages low quality play has been served up to me on a platter. It was a stank platter, but still a platter.

    Good times. Can't wait till things are simplified further. Hopefully one day I can log in and start a new character and see...

    "Hello anon, how would you like to play your Inquisitive?"
    option 1 - rogue based DPS
    option 2 - favored soul based caster
    option 3 - wizard based caster

    Then pick one of them and immediately land in Korthos.

    Can't freaking wait.

  4. #44
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolffboy View Post
    Before the changes I was able to do ok ior1 on some quests now I can't this is stupid How do you get reaper points if you keep dying? I'm already considered a scrub noob or whatever so now what for us casual players solo casual?
    I've given up on Reaper, having had an entire group one shotted within about five seconds. I'm not into wasting my time or buying rez cakes, and as I'm on my tenth or so life on my main, twenty lives in total, I'm really not interested in crawling through content I'm already tediously bored of. (All those "loving Hardcore" comments will fade really quickly when the novelty wears off). I want to get through levels as fast as I can so I can make the char I want, and I don't want " a challenge", when the challenge is way overpowered for the average specced ranger I'm having to endure playing.
    I'd actually prefer it if I could delete Reaper as an option. I just annoys me that it's there after the changes.

  5. #45
    Community Member SynalonEtuul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    I'm asking you, since you more or less said that "casuals" shouldn't be able to play reaper. I may or may not agree with you, depending on how you define "casual."
    Fair enough, that was an overly dismissive response on my part. What I said, though, was not that casuals, however defined, shouldn't be able to play reaper. In fact I think casual players absolutely should be able to play reaper. That is, it should be doable in a group, not necessarily a full group, and even with careful solo play. What I said was that it is truly astounding to me that there are complaints about soloing reaper being challenging for a player self-defined as casual. This was the whole point of the difficulty setting - it's meant to be challenging. If a non-uber character isn't finding it tough to solo, even on R1, something has gone very wrong.
    Last edited by SynalonEtuul; 08-23-2019 at 06:24 PM.

  6. #46
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post
    Stop playing melee though. Melee took a thick shaft in the recent updates and perform at a level that's about 3 skulls down from what ranged or casters do. Unfortunately this can easily mean no skulls.
    This sounds as if it might be still another example of incompetent system design work. When reaper was first released, melees were at a distinct disadvantage versus casters, who benefited most from reaper play (free spell points for everyone!); while "true" ranged toons were not as disadvantaged as melees. This contributed to the fragmentation of the player base along functional lines: caster, ranged, melee.*

    Have we come full circle? Will we see another round of player-base fragmentation?



    *Very carefully avoiding a Marxist "class analysis" here …

  7. #47
    Community Member krimsonrane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    Well unfortunately people keep wanting to be challenged. If you ask me what the point of past lives and reaper points are, I would say to make the game easier. I don't get past lives because I want to do harder content. I get past lives because I want to be powerful and to find the game easier. Unfortunately they keep making the new content harder and harder so the people with 150 lives and the very best gear can still be challenged. If you want to be challenged don't wear the best gear.

    Melees wear something called armor that is designed to protect them from being hit. Unfortunately, in the name of challenge, even the best armor is virtually worthless against even the weakest of trash opponents in higher level content. This isn't my ideal game design but it appears to be what people want. I've never once complained that the game is too easy. I like not dying (ever ideally). It is my goal in real life and my goal in the game as well.

    For someone new to the game it is a rough experience playing melee. It can be quickly discouraging (especially since you will probably find yourself playing reaper when grouping). Good advice is letting them know that melee characters are a challenge to play and they would be better off starting with something that has range.
    I don't know if new players will be jumping right into reaper. When i started a dozen years ago it took me nearly a year before i could solo mindsunder on casual. I've got like 2 dozen lives and epic lives. That took me years to accomplish. So i get the advice and the frustration but a first life new player with a pali, melee druid, fighter, rogue, monk, bard, barb or arti will be challenged enough with normal or hard. Isn't that what we see on the hardcore server? 10 year vets dying on elite playing the same thing a new player has to use.

    So I guess the advice would be for aspiring players who have been around a while and can't break the glass ceilings.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

  8. #48

    Default

    I haven't tried reaper since the changes, but I keep hearing R1 is much harder from folks.

  9. #49
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SynalonEtuul View Post
    Fair enough, that was an overly dismissive response on my part. What I said, though, was not that casuals, however defined, shouldn't be able to play reaper. In fact I think casual players absolutely should be able to play reaper. That is, it should be doable in a group, not necessarily a full group, and even with careful solo play. What I said was that it is truly astounding to me that there are complaints about soloing reaper being challenging for a player self-defined as casual. This was the whole point of the difficulty setting - it's meant to be challenging. If a non-uber character isn't finding it tough to solo, even on R1, something has gone very wrong.
    I just don't think casual is a meaningful definition, hence my questions. And if it isn't a definition we are all consistently applying the same way, then it skews the response. So casual could be the guy that logs in and jumps in random quests without being prepared, because eh, it's just a game and no big deal. Those people will not - and probably should not - do well in reaper. But casual can also mean a person that has played for years, knows the game, knows builds and gear, and just doesn't have a lot of play time per week. Or, it can mean someone that levels slowly and so has fallen behind the hamster wheel meta. It depends on who you ask, and I don't think those groups of people should be shut out of reaper. Or, there are several other definitions of casual, depending on who you ask. But as a standard, it isn't useful at all.
    A little snark, no vitriol.
    (with credit to HungarianRhapsody)


    Graceana, assassin ~ Xiya, tempest ~ Shinshi, shintao ~ Ayaxi, thief-acrobat ~ Saravi, cleric ~ Sanziana, arcane archer ~ Kyudojin, mechanic
    Talvi, caster druid ~ Zinzie, sorc ~ Kishori, spellsinger ~ Faunia, wolf druid ~ Viven, warchanter ~ Jianqiao, ninja spy
    Cliodna, wizard ~ Serenwyn, swashbuckler ~ Duisteri, shuribuild ~ Mahuika, warlock ~ Narabali, tank ~ Tabbithah, artificer
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

  10. #50
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    I just don't think casual is a meaningful definition …
    In my view, I have found the term "casual" as too often being used in a dismissive way, as if the players in question have views that are not valid because they are not "hardcore" players.

    I prefer the terms "recreational" and "competitive" as being somewhat better reflective of play styles.

  11. #51
    Community Member AbyssalMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    We see things differently R1 is not the setting "meant for players who enjoy a serious challenge" R7+ is that IMO. I see R1 as the setting for people who are not sucking at this game, and I'm willing to let a few more people into that level range in the hopes that if you add reaper points to them they can move from not sucking to good at this game (R4-R6).
    We shall ignore then that the reason most players play higher reaper is it provides more rXP per run to alleviate the absurd rXP you need per point. I repeat, we will just completely ignore that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

  12. #52
    Community Member Lagin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    There are 14 difficulty settings in this game R1 is difficulty setting 5 two settings below 7 which is the medium R1 should be below average difficulty.
    Reaper IS NOT a difficulty setting. Difficulty settings DO NOT have enhancement trees and power creep.

    It's a hamster wheel, it's was originally designed to encourage group play.

    but the devs turned it into a money making circus.

    Look at the volatility of this thread. It's dividing the player base.

    Don't believe me? look at the exact opposite with the Hardcore League forum section. Look at the way people are playing this game the way it was meant to be. people helping each other. ENJOYING the game and grouping. And sharing the laughs and thrill of something that was lost because of insatiable need to generate revenue.



    Reaper is BAD FOR THIS game. Good smart players in this and every other reaper thread at each others throat over what? Bragging rights? a set of wings?

    Reaper sucks wind. It's sucked you all in, and it's sucking the life out of this game.



  13. #53
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    7,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andu_Indorin View Post
    In my view, I have found the term "casual" as too often being used in a dismissive way, as if the players in question have views that are not valid because they are not "hardcore" players.
    You realize that the OP referred to themselves as casual? Who's being dismissive then?

    But "casual" or "hardcore" or whatever doesn't change my view: complaining about not being able to solo a challenge setting I do indeed consider an invalid view which I happy to dismiss.

    If we stipulate that R1 actually got much harder (which I don't, but for the sake of argument, if), that would constitute the devs fixing something that was broken. Reaper should never have been something for casual players to run solo.

    Actually, it seems to me that recent changes have made low-to-mid-skulls much easier. Folks I run with who would never before go over R1 are now happily running R4+. But that's in groups working together, not somebody solo, casual or not.

    Personally, I think we need to make all the difficulties much harder; "Hard" should be hard for a casual player to run solo. "Elite" should be for the elite. The devs will never do it though; can you imagine all the whining? It really did used to be like that, before all the massive power creep in gear and enhancements and a gazillion past lives, et cetera. If they had actually fixed that, they would never have had to even invent Reaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

  14. #54
    Community Member Grailhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    We shall ignore then that the reason most players play higher reaper is it provides more rXP per run to alleviate the absurd rXP you need per point. I repeat, we will just completely ignore that.
    You mind clarify this? Are you saying that high reaper is easy?

    My point is that R1 is the 5th difficulty setting out of 14 its quite low on spectrum and does not need to be seen as a great challenge that only the best of the best can take on. This is mostly true now in a lot of ways R1 is the default setting, and given how low it is on the spectrum I'm not apposed to making it a bit easier to allow more casual/average players entry into Reaper. There seams to be quite a few people who do not want to enter reaper (IMO this is probably because of how large the healing penalty is).

    IMO difficulty setting 7 R3 should be where average players start falling off which again is mostly true now.

  15. #55
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    You realize that the OP referred to themselves as casual? Who's being dismissive then?

    But "casual" or "hardcore" or whatever doesn't change my view: complaining about not being able to solo a challenge setting I do indeed consider an invalid view which I happy to dismiss.

    If we stipulate that R1 actually got much harder (which I don't, but for the sake of argument, if), that would constitute the devs fixing something that was broken. Reaper should never have been something for casual players to run solo.

    Actually, it seems to me that recent changes have made low-to-mid-skulls much easier. Folks I run with who would never before go over R1 are now happily running R4+. But that's in groups working together, not somebody solo, casual or not.

    Personally, I think we need to make all the difficulties much harder; "Hard" should be hard for a casual player to run solo. "Elite" should be for the elite. The devs will never do it though; can you imagine all the whining? It really did used to be like that, before all the massive power creep in gear and enhancements and a gazillion past lives, et cetera. If they had actually fixed that, they would never have had to even invent Reaper.
    What changes were made that allowed your friends to git gud overnight?

  16. #56
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    7,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    My point is that R1 is the 5th difficulty setting out of 14
    See, that's where you've gone wrong. Reaper is actually the hardest difficulty out of 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

  17. #57
    Community Member Grailhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    You realize that the OP referred to themselves as casual? Who's being dismissive then?

    But "casual" or "hardcore" or whatever doesn't change my view: complaining about not being able to solo a challenge setting I do indeed consider an invalid view which I happy to dismiss.

    If we stipulate that R1 actually got much harder (which I don't, but for the sake of argument, if), that would constitute the devs fixing something that was broken. Reaper should never have been something for casual players to run solo.

    Actually, it seems to me that recent changes have made low-to-mid-skulls much easier. Folks I run with who would never before go over R1 are now happily running R4+. But that's in groups working together, not somebody solo, casual or not.

    Personally, I think we need to make all the difficulties much harder; "Hard" should be hard for a casual player to run solo. "Elite" should be for the elite. The devs will never do it though; can you imagine all the whining? It really did used to be like that, before all the massive power creep in gear and enhancements and a gazillion past lives, et cetera. If they had actually fixed that, they would never have had to even invent Reaper.
    If there was only 4-6 difficulty settings I would fully agree with you; but instead of adding two new settings at the levels of R5 and R9 they opted to add 10 more settings. IMO it is kind of weird that they penalize self-healing by more than half of what you got the 4 settings before at difficulty 5 especially when there are 7 more difficulty settings to go.

  18. #58
    Community Member Grailhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    See, that's where you've gone wrong. Reaper is actually the hardest difficulty out of 5.
    So are you denying the existence of R2-10?

    R1-R10 are difficulty settings by definition as you increase the number the difficulty goes up.

  19. #59
    Community Member AbyssalMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    You mind clarify this? Are you saying that high reaper is easy?

    My point is that R1 is the 5th difficulty setting out of 14 its quite low on spectrum and does not need to be seen as a great challenge that only the best of the best can take on. This is mostly true now in a lot of ways R1 is the default setting, and given how low it is on the spectrum I'm not apposed to making it a bit easier to allow more casual/average players entry into Reaper. There seams to be quite a few people who do not want to enter reaper (IMO this is probably because of how large the healing penalty is).

    IMO difficulty setting 7 R3 should be where average players start falling off which again is mostly true now.
    It was in reference to challenge. People I group with play higher reaper not for challenge, but for the increased rXP it provides. That is the "carrot" they are chasing, not "challenge."
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

  20. #60
    Community Member Grailhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    It was in reference to challenge. People I group with play higher reaper not for challenge, but for the increased rXP it provides. That is the "carrot" they are chasing, not "challenge."
    Fair enough but that doesn't mean higher skulls isn't harder than lower skull, or that it doesn't takes more skill to complete higher difficulty settings.

    I'm still a bit confuse as to why reward for completing higher difficulty settings matters when talking about whether R1 is appropriately difficult given its location in the difficulty setting spectrum?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload