Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default We're not supposed to repeat quests anymore because it might burn us out…

Yet we're still supposed to repeat quests over and over and over hoping for a specific piece of loot...

You know what's gonna burn me out? Running House of Pain four times a day every day I play hunting a damn Family necklace that won't drop. It's frustrating when I know what a huge jump in power certain items like that can provide, and knowing the fastest way to boost my power is to get one and finish the set...a much bigger and more permanent improvement than simply grinding xp and gradually leveling up, meaning the smartest thing to do is keep grinding it...but it just refuses to drop.

It'd be nice if there was a more deterministic safety net mechanic for loot content like sharn - maybe a guaranteed choice of items after your twelfth completion, or in the saga rewards...maybe let you buy named items for Almost Finished mats. Just some way I can feel like I'm working TOWARDS an item rather than just hoping FOR the item.

On the plus side I think I got the Lady in Black figured out now though...

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Yet we're still supposed to repeat quests over and over and over hoping for a specific piece of loot...

You know what's gonna burn me out? Running House of Pain four times a day every day I play hunting a damn Family necklace that won't drop. It's frustrating when I know what a huge jump in power certain items like that can provide, and knowing the fastest way to boost my power is to get one and finish the set...a much bigger and more permanent improvement than simply grinding xp and gradually leveling up, meaning the smartest thing to do is keep grinding it...but it just refuses to drop.

It'd be nice if there was a more deterministic safety net mechanic for loot content like sharn - maybe a guaranteed choice of items after your twelfth completion, or in the saga rewards...maybe let you buy named items for Almost Finished mats. Just some way I can feel like I'm working TOWARDS an item rather than just hoping FOR the item.

Man I feel your pain (well...some of your pain) ...I just did Threnal 3 times in a row for a Ratcatcher Light Crossbow...on the third time through I got a full list.

I do wish maybe every 3rd quest chain or Saga completion we get a full list like the good old days.
    "Hireling" and "Hjealer"
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Community Member

Item farming is definitely the worst form of repeating.

I'd like to see all quests drop a currency (like Threads of Fate or the Comms that all epic quests drop) that can be used to purchase any named item in the game. Even if they can't do this with the old content, all new content should have a system like this. Farming for gear is lame. Granted, the fact that players are willing to do it (and for months on end no less) assures that it will always be a part of games. Gear farming keeps people coming back to the game so we are stuck with it until people refuse to fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    Item farming is definitely the worst form of repeating.

I'd like to see all quests drop a currency (like Threads of Fate or the Comms that all epic quests drop) that can be used to purchase any named item in the game. Even if they can't do this with the old content, all new content should have a system like this. Farming for gear is lame. Granted, the fact that players are willing to do it (and for months on end no less) assures that it will always be a part of games. Gear farming keeps people coming back to the game so we are stuck with it until people refuse to fall for it.
    I really like the Comms system from E-Star and Challenges and the upgrade system from Slavers

+1
    "Hireling" and "Hjealer"
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Agreed... Gear grind is far worse than the dailies ever were, especially for those with alts. The devs have indeed opened a can of worms with the optional xp change and the suspect reasoning for it.
    Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimtooth333 View Post
    Agreed... Gear grind is far worse than the dailies ever were, especially for those with alts. The devs have indeed opened a can of worms with the optional xp change and the suspect reasoning for it.
    Yes especiallyn now that an item can have mithic and reaper bonus letting people a full normal list seems logical and fair
    for example after 20 quest completions?
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    GODS

Community Member

I had the same problem did the quest 6 times a day with 3 toons to have amulet after 1 month grind
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    GODS

Community Member

I suggest adding a complete list of named items to the Saga rewards for Sharn and Ravenloft, and any new content.
    It will still take a while to get all the items you want, but it won't be the same quest continually.

Community Member lordnelson1001's Avatar

Tokens of the Twelve grind would be my nomination for amount of pain, frustration and bad design.

Playing characters going for their first TR and doing the Tokens is AGONIZING.

There's an intentional big jump in difficulty when you cross over into Epic content---that's valid! *When* it's the start of your journey to 30.

But a first time-to-20 character has no Fate Twists, only the beginning of a Destiny, and no epic gear. You typically go from owning the high heroics on H/E to not even being able to do H level 21s. There are few takers on N level LFMs, but you get destroyed if you get in on a higher difficulty party.

And there's only a small group of quests that drop Tokens, several of them pretty undoable for solo first lifers: the end fight for Epic Small Problems, the ballistas for epic Storm the Beaches."Dailies" groups (whose fate is now uncertain) assumed you can run the quests back to back with the map and fights already memorized, which is not yet true for many of us the first time we get there.

And all while you're longing to just make the first TR, so you can start over and become a stronger toon with better stats and gear.

The pain goes down once your main character has past lives behind them, but I wonder if some folks don't put aside their first TR and not come back.

At the least, it would be a huge boon if Token fragments appeared in the end chests of Eveningstar quests, so you could run a wider variety of level 21-23 content while trying to TR.

OR designate at least one more challenging quest to give a chance of full Tokens on N, like Devil Assault, so you don't end up crying and running DA 10 times.

Battle of Eveningstar, for example! You have to run three other Level 21 quests to flag, which progresses the "story" and could drop fragments, and the BoE story and structure makes it very attractive to have a group, so it would encourage parties.

There's gotta be something that could make things less joy killing for those who went from savoring the pleasure of hitting 20 and wanting to reincarnate to the current long, slow slog to gather the pink bits.
    Last edited by lordnelson1001; 08-20-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    Orien - Saarri / Ninxu

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordnelson1001 View Post
    Tokens of the Twelve grind would be my nomination for amount of pain, frustration and bad design.

WAI. SSG wants you to buy a heart in the store.

I like gear grinding
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked at level 4!)

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    I like gear grinding
    I liked dailies, but apparently SSG had a crystal ball that said repeating quests too much made people quit the game.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

This done on purpose as Devs would rather people spend DDO Points on the hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylstrem View Post
    This done on purpose as Devs would rather people spend DDO Points on the hearts.
    And yet, the epic and iconic hearts can easily be acquired because
    Commendation of Valor are obtainable after each epic quest and so are heart seeds for lvl 30 characters.
    Still here.... Deal with it.

I don't have an attitude problem, you just can't stand that I'm adorable.

Community Member

I think we're only supposed to not grind optionals, every other kind of grinding is still OK, apparently. Which means we should be zipping to the end instead of fully enjoying all the nuances and details of the quests. Except that doing that in Amber Temple is bad so they had to add more mobs.

Maybe SSG could publish a 'how-to' list of instructions so that we know the proper way.

When you figure out that the R(XP) changes were to limit top reward generation, and very little to do with managing grind for anyone else, you will have your answers. From that piece of understanding, everything that follows will make sense.

Grinding a specific piece of gear for less rewards???? Not a problem for SSG.
    - inactive player -

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pyed-Pyper View Post
    I think we're only supposed to not grind optionals, every other kind of grinding is still OK, apparently. Which means we should be zipping to the end instead of fully enjoying all the nuances and details of the quests. Except that doing that in Amber Temple is bad so they had to add more mobs.

Maybe SSG could publish a 'how-to' list of instructions so that we know the proper way.
    I actually like the Amber Temple changes because its much faster now Just grab Mrak - 50% chance its in the south wing - teleport up to L2 and jump over the collapsing walkway, Restore the Lich, talk to Eva, Vestige if you're hunting for those items, then grab the Icon. There's only 2 out of 8 locations that require E.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

But a first time-to-20 character has no Fate Twists, only the beginning of a Destiny, and no epic gear. You typically go from owning the high heroics on H/E to not even being able to do H level 21s. There are few takers on N level LFMs, but you get destroyed if you get in on a higher difficulty party.
    This is what I meant with "the arms race" of devs vs. fans making quests more difficult because fans have been able to acquire better gear. And those left out of this "arms race" are the casuals, those who don't TR, the first-lifers ...
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

It won't happen, but perhaps with the reduction of XP, the drop-rates for many items could be bumped up 5%-10%.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

I actually like the Amber Temple changes because its much faster now Just grab Mrak - 50% chance its in the south wing - teleport up to L2 and jump over the collapsing walkway, Restore the Lich, talk to Eva, Vestige if you're hunting for those items, then grab the Icon. There's only 2 out of 8 locations that require E.
    shhhh! you're crushing a dev's dreams!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast