Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Multiple quests having issues due to mob pathing

Due to the nature of the titles of different threads, I thought maybe we could consolidate so a dev could get information quickly. Problems I’ve seen personally or seen posted:

Crystal cove
    Two toed Tobias
    Legendary Shroud
    Von 1 end fight
    Roll Call
    Garls tomb

Feel free to add others and descriptions. Basically it comes down to mobs agro’d directly on players and either falling somewhere and respawning, getting stuck where a player can’t reach them, or getting stuck on a wall or door.

Here are threads with examples, but less clear titles:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...07764-Lemmings
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ug-on-me-twice
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ena-battle-bug
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/507760-devs
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...37#post6241137
    Last edited by Quikster; 08-20-2019 at 08:04 AM.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quikster View Post
    Due to the nature of the titles of different threads, I thought maybe we could consolidate so a dev could get information quickly. Problems I’ve seen personally or seen posted:

Crystal cove
    Two toed Tobias
    Legendary Shroud
    Von 1 end fight
    Roll Call
    Garls tomb

Feel free to add others and descriptions. Basically it comes down to mobs agro’d directly on players and either falling somewhere and respawning, getting stuck where a player can’t reach them, or getting stuck on a wall or door.
    Its bad on Just Business, since the whole damn thing is nothing but cliffs and "kill all mobs to continue" checkpoints. Irk kept jumping off the edge and then going invisible, even worse

Community Member

Noticed this a lot recently, particularly with lava.

Gianthold adventure area, everyone just wading through lava.
    Madstone Crater: Skelly giants jumping into tiny pools of lava to reset themselves.
    Relic of Sovereign Past: Hireling jumps in tiny pool of lava and dies about 10 seconds after starting the dungeon.

Community Member

Makes me wonder if they made some adjustments to keep fear reapers from getting hung up at a distance while causing fear damage. I died a few times from that awhile back in STK and some others, but haven't noticed that problem lately.
    The core of the server is very hard. It has a very Hardcore.

Quests I've noticed the issue in recently

Shadow knight, mobs get hung up on doors and corners
    Tear of Dakaan, mobs with both ranged and melee capabilities run off ledges instead of switching to ranged when they can't path to you
    didn't notice the issue in shadow king, but most of those mobs can just go thru walls anyway
    Spies in the house, again, mobs with both ranged and melee capabilities run off ledges trying to get to you instead of stopping when they hit the edge and switch to ranged

FYI, this is the behavior when the servers haven't been rebooted in a while. It's particularly bad with the pathing right now... but the first noticeable sign for "servers need to be rebooted" is when I see the skeletons fall off the top of the first area in Spies in the House.

On the plus side, if you are doing High Reapers, you can use this to your advantage to pick off mobs one-by-one

(Figured if something is benefitting players, Devs will fix it faster)

Well, that explains why Zakya Cultists climbed a mountain and came over a wall to get me in Gianthold It was very strange.
    Still here.... Deal with it.

I don't have an attitude problem, you just can't stand that I'm adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylstrem View Post
    FYI, this is the behavior when the servers haven't been rebooted in a while. It's particularly bad with the pathing right now... but the first noticeable sign for "servers need to be rebooted" is when I see the skeletons fall off the top of the first area in Spies in the House.

On the plus side, if you are doing High Reapers, you can use this to your advantage to pick off mobs one-by-one

(Figured if something is benefitting players, Devs will fix it faster)
    Disagree. This seems much worse than the server needs to be restarted. Have been playing pretty solid for the past few years and never noticed this when the restart was long. Besides, weren't the servers brought down Thursday? Most I know started noticing this Saturday or Sunday. That's 3-4 days.
    Member of Roving Guns

Community Manager

Just wanted to say we are looking into this.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

It 100% happened after the last patch / hotfix. I did not notice it before but did notice it the first (and subsequent) quests I played. I noticed it first in my hires being completely dumb but quickly noticed it on Mobs once I was in quests with some ledges.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Thanks C (& Co.)!
    o7

Slightly off topic but since the last patch/update we seem to get MORE reapers and I do not mean more types but more spawns
    Ozzgood 42, 36, 15, 36, 80. Ozzbad 35, 36, 14, 36, 76. Ozzugly 40, 41, 19, 36, 101. EvilOzz 33, 36, 6, 16, 38. Ozzistheworst 31, 32, 9, 1, 14. and Alts on Khyber
    Past Lives: Heroic, Epic, Iconic, Racial
    Reaper Points

Community Member

Since last patch, mobs (and hires) failing to negotiate obstacles - getting hung up on door frames, behind partial barriers and also jumping off ledges like lemmings.

"The Grotto" is unplayable because the 3 NPCs get stuck in a passage and cannot advance further. (Tried this 3 times).

Community Member

The Dragon's Hoard, Buying Time, and Labor Shortage all completely broken. All Kobs simply burn in the acid.

Time to admit failure and do a rollback/apology, instead of patching the patch for the patch for the patchy patch patch. I'm afraid the hole they're digging is starting to look like a grave for DDO.

Quests that are broken:

Reclaiming the Rift: end event has mobs going to the entrance and below the island in more than half of the waves
    Servants of the Overlord: end fight has a spider spawning under the lava deep left at the end of the cave, caster had to FOD it.

Seen often in many quests: mobs just falling off staircases, stuck on a corner, stuck on the side of staircases (not pathing properly)

Community Member

FYI, the issue is affecting not just mobs. My hirelings are regularly re-enacting that creepy scene from the Blair Witch Project.

As others have noted, it seems like things are trying to take the shortest path from A to B even if there are a pile of walls/columns/barrels/trees/etc in the way.

(Mistamagic: very off-topic re reapers. But yes. 3 in one small room in a lvl 3 quest (Dryden's tomb, and no, I didn't break any of the crypts) on R1, two of them Carnage each hitting for 80 points a swing. That's...excessive.)

Last night my Crystal cove group lost 2 consecutive attempts thanks to kobolds being stuck under the main ramp. The most egregious problem was when the kobold holding the Progenitor crystal fell off the ramp just moments from 'home'. He then got stuck underneath the ramp and no amount of attempts to remove/replace/reposition torches could save him... or that run.

Smile Always Appreciated

Thank you very much for staying on top of this.

Just in case these facts matter, similar pathing issues happened to me on Ghallanda in Cry for Help. The skeleton archers above the ladders would sometimes just fall into the water for no reason. Eventually I jaded them long enough to kill them, but seemed odd they would target me then take a steep dive lol.
    >>>Itchybeard (Crafter), Greensmash (Main), All Others (Mules)<<<

Community Member

Default Nav Meshes?

Looks to me like the nav meshes are failing to load (mobs therefore don't see obstacles or terrain and are deciding to walk a straight line from A to B instead of path-finding).

It sure has made for some pretty comical scenes as mobs walk in hoards off the sides of the floating islands in the Demonweb and its quests.
    "There are so many people running around and so many LFMs that it actually doesn't feel like a single player game." - Some guy on HCL

Also what the live servers would be like with server merges or cross-server grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit View Post
    Looks to me like the nav meshes are failing to load (mobs therefore don't see obstacles or terrain and are deciding to walk a straight line from A to B instead of path-finding).

It sure has made for some pretty comical scenes as mobs walk in hoards off the sides of the floating islands in the Demonweb and its quests.
    Yeah. Kid came home from work and was rewatching TWD and a huge horde of zombies was doing the same thing to my left on the tv, and on the screen things were randomly running off cliffs into lava etc.
    Member of Roving Guns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast