Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lemmings

Community Member

Default Lemmings

Mobs are lemmings. Mobs on high ledges just step off them, even some bosses who then reset. This is not fun. Please fix the game.

Care to be more specific, to give the Dev's half a chance to know what exactly needs "fixing"? Quest, location, mobs, etc?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Care to be more specific, to give the Dev's half a chance to know what exactly needs "fixing"? Quest, location, mobs, etc?
    I'm shocked that you haven't seen this behaviour and need to ask.

Straight off the top of my head I can give you the first part of Slavers. The mobs go straight for you and get stuck on doorways and it's especially pronounced in the endfight where everything just runs into the moat and resets. Similar behaviour in many Sharn quests and pretty much every quest I've played since the patch. It's obviously more pronounced in quests that have ledges or doorways with recesses for mobs to get stuck behind. Is the Air Elemental in Project Nemesis really meant to just fall off its platform and sit on the floor while a ranged toon stands on the platform, puts on auto-attack, and goes and makes a cup of tea?

I wonder if there is any connection to the Hardcore Server needing adjusting so the NPC's could talk to multiple people in the numbers required. I remember this bug from when we first changed over to new or virtual or whatever they are servers. There was a change on Turbine/SSG side that stopped mobs from running into the water off ledges etc. I may not be correct, but I also think this is about the time that mobs AI got changed, to not respond to plinks of an arrow on the wall.

In totally unrelated other news based on my feelings and not on fact lol, I think the hirelings are acting GREAT. So maybe whatever changes were made to the Hardcore server messed mobs up but made hires better.

We might be on the cusp of fixing this nasty performance killing bug, I'm very excited. Imagine NOT having to restart each week! (crosses fingers)

Maybe there is a pathing file that is shared access from NPC talking dialogue with Mobs movement.
    Maybe when we went virtual this file can't be written or accessed, or cant be shared access,
    Maybe there's a race condition, on virtual sometimes things run to infinity fast, and eclipsed other proccess that need to interject. i.e., with no cap on NPC awareness time, the Mob AI Pathing cant read/write because the virtual processor is locked out. Things that don't happen in hardware often show up in virtual.
    Last edited by Mindos; 08-19-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Community Member

There are clearly some pathing problems since the updates. See other threads about weird mob behaviour in Project Nemesis, Titan raid (impossible to complete as boss isn't where the laser beam "thinks" it is), and Shroud, and I noticed the old "kobolds run around back of the ramp and get stuck" problem in crystal cove the other night. That last one was so bad a few years back that I gave up on Cove and house C Extraplanar Palace and Lava Caves challenges for quite a while because they were unplayable due to broken kobold pathing. Hopefully they clear this up quickly.

I saw something like that for the first time yesterday. Sarlona server; Korthos Island wilderness up on one of the concrete ramps near the end of the iced over river.

It was one of the white devotee guys and when I advanced towards him he backed up and went right off the edge. Waited for him to come back up - didn't, so I went looking for him, never did find him.

And then on Thelanis: Final boss fight of Necromancer's Doom; Drex ran in OK, but the armored skeleton with him missed the door and stayed outside trying to run through the wall. Did make the fight easier as I took them on 1 vs 1 instead of 2 vs 1.

And then out in the Korthos Wilderness area I guess I had a disciple archer follow me down to the ice river. i found him when I was going back out just running back and forth against the river banks.
    Last edited by Nebless; 08-19-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

It's very common in Spies for a skeleton warrior etc to fall off the edge of the plateau at the end of the first Mario part. Then you have to find and kill them before you can access the optional
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Default Pathing

I've noticed this weekend pathing seems to be messed up in the CC challenge dungeon. Kobolds and Mobs both would try to take the shortest path, get stuck on a wall and just stay there.

I had also sseen similar behavior in a couple dungeons I ran, noteably 'Tear of Dakaan', the junction where you swim under water for one of the pieces of the Tear, mobs would run off the ledge and respawn instead of run to the edge and range like they used to.
    Last edited by Phoenicis; 08-19-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loholt-UK View Post
    Mobs are lemmings. Mobs on high ledges just step off them, even some bosses who then reset. This is not fun. Please fix the game.
    False.

Lemmings do not do what you are accusing them of doing.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

no refunds - belgrave emporium: kill the first group just past the barrier, chances are that more mobs start dropping from the sky (upper floors)

Lemmings... Disney's greatest, most enduring lie.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    False. Lemmings do not do what you are accusing them of doing.
    I'm aware of that, that's why I referred to the game and not the mammal

have you tried putting a blocker lemming there so they don't jump?

Yep, pathing is borked.....mobs jump of from everywhere since last update.
    Main toons: IronThatcher (Melee Box breaker), Mehhh (DC Sorc)...pion of HS...zug zug
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesrali View Post
    Go munt your grandma while wearing my freeway mitt!

Quote Originally Posted by SSG_RedPanda View Post
    have you tried putting a blocker lemming there so they don't jump?
    Great game! Loved it in the Ago Times...

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by cave_diver View Post
    Yep, pathing is borked.....mobs jump of from everywhere since last update.
    Yup, that is what I’m seeing too. Mobs are just flying off of ledges where they didn’t before.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

I recently saw an umbrella lemming at Gamestop ... I loved those games ... No-one does unique games like that anymore, sadly ...

I recently wondered whether I could run my old DOS games if I'd install the successor of OS/2, the "eComStation" ... But DOSBOX is cheaper, I guess ...

More seriously, I only saw that recently with pirates jumping off rocks around Smuggler's Rest ...
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 08-19-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Default Play Online

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Great game! Loved it in the Ago Times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    I recently saw an umbrella lemming at Gamestop ... I loved those games ... No-one does unique games like that anymore, sadly ...

I recently wondered whether I could run my old DOS games if I'd install the successor of OS/2, the "eComStation" ... But DOSBOX is cheaper, I guess ...

More seriously, I only saw that recently with pirates jumping off rocks around Smuggler's Rest ...
    @Memnir: still a good game today (graphics aren't that great, but...)

Do a Google search for "Play Lemmings Online" and you'll get a few hits on some websites that will let you play w/o installing DOSBOX (or other VM platform) yourself.
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

I've seen this too, just wanted to chime in, sure it's known but wthaever.

This issue has started since the last patch, mob pathing AI is rather broken, they seem to prefer straight lines to their targets and "can't see walls".

The most pronounced example I came across was in breaking the ranks as the spawns would invariably get stuck trying to walk through the walls between their spawn point and me. This would be fine if someone hadn't had the brilliant idea of putting spellwards in the way! Very frustrating.
    More hilariously though was the invincible Draeton who would jump down from his perch, run into the middle, cast a few spells and then reset back to his perch. Over, and over, and over again forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We are trying to kill you.

I will chime in that I have seen this too... a lot .. since the update.

Ran a swiped signet. R1 at level and the WF party in particular kept jumping off. Made it really annoying to get the champ caster down to a sliver only to have him jump off, leash and keep blasting me fully healed.

I have also noticed that my hires are getting hung up on terrain now. Before I could tell one to rest and move along and they would path through the hall to get to me. Now they get hung up on terrain and doorways and I have to port them to me all the time.

So yeah, not sure what introducing the new server did but it very much broke the AI pathing, would love to hear the story about how this made it into the game but doubt I will. Really I just want it fixed please.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast