Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lemmings

Community Member

I noticed my hirelings and some bad guys running into corners and banging their heads against walls last night. I was constantly having to click the summon button on my hires when they'd glitch out. I just assumed it was some weird lag on my end causing isues, but sounds like I'm not the only one seeing weird pathing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    False.

Lemmings do not do what you are accusing them of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Lemmings... Disney's greatest, most enduring lie.
    Dropping facts Arkat and Memnir. Bravo, we all profit from your input.

Regardless of the overly hyperbolic start, the general idea behind the thread has some merit. Mob pathing in some quests could use a look at.

One case that I’ve noticed regularly is in ‘Blown Deadline’. When you have gone down the spiral path and enter the long hallway, if you drop the false floor and agro the group of mobs at the end of the hall they ALL run at you and fall down into the trap. I don’t know if it makes them easier to kill as you kind of have to take time running around the edges to pick them off one by one.

This has been happening since before the hardcore server update at least, I have never seen any change in the quest since I noticed the strange behavior maybe a month ago or so.
    Last edited by Grandern_Marn; 08-19-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Loholt-UK View Post
    I'm shocked that you haven't seen this behaviour and need to ask.
    I agree it is shocking that I haven't had a chance to play since last update - CC is the only thing I've run in 10 days. (Stupid RL )

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenicis View Post
    I've noticed this weekend pathing seems to be messed up in the CC challenge dungeon. Kobolds and Mobs both would try to take the shortest path, get stuck on a wall and just stay there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
    ... and I noticed the old "kobolds run around back of the ramp and get stuck" problem in crystal cove the other night. That last one was so bad a few years back that I gave up on Cove ..
    Okay, THIS I did experience. Kobolds just faced themselves into the lower ramp, had to quit twice, and twice more a teleporter solved it at the loss of a lot of time.

Something indeed has changed there.

Default Pathing

A good example of the pathing issue is in the Epic Orchard. The mobs are climbing straight up the cliff sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenicis View Post
    I've noticed this weekend pathing seems to be messed up in the CC challenge dungeon. Kobolds and Mobs both would try to take the shortest path, get stuck on a wall and just stay there.

I had also sseen similar behavior in a couple dungeons I ran, noteably 'Tear of Dakaan', the junction where you swim under water for one of the pieces of the Tear, mobs would run off the ledge and respawn instead of run to the edge and range like they used to.
    Yes, this seemed to be getting progressively worse as the weekend progressed. It was very similar to an issue that I shared a couple of years ago (SHINY pics included!). But at least this time around they would mostly use a teleporter or DD if one was in the vicinity.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...or-anyone-else
    "When asked if the developers hate the players, as they make so many challenging jumping puzzles, their response was that they have what they consider a “… normal amount of contempt for the players.” This is good. A dungeon master should always nurse a healthy contempt for his or her players."

Running slays in Gianthold Heroic. Slays walk off cliffs, especially in the Fist area. Heart and Eye do it, but not near as bad as Fist. Looks like pathing is borked.
    Some think I'm a pain in the neck. Others have a lower opinion.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Bring a ranged character into Storm the Beaches and stand on the boat in front of the lower entrance to the fortification and you’ll get to see all sorts of shenanigans as hobgoblins sprint straight toward you and leap straight over fences and into the water. It’s crazy. I don’t know what kind of change was made to pathing in 42.4 or 42.4.1, but it’s funny as hell and I love it.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

More proof that the Xoriat invasion is closer.

Community Member

In Von 5, the undead are running into corners and actually scaling the walls about 2 characters high. In Spies, all the water elementals fell off their pipe perch onto the electric floor.
    Argo pride! Mykungfu

Quote Originally Posted by liston33 View Post
    A good example of the pathing issue is in the Epic Orchard. The mobs are climbing straight up the cliff sides.
    LOL. I just got done running EE Storm the Beaches to clean up saga. Took the spy route and at the top of the climb looking down on all the mobs on the ramparts, shot one, and had the whole crew scale straight up the cliff. It was 'convenient'. But having the pirates bailing over the side in The Tide Turns where you have to kill all the pirates to advance, that was mildly irritating.
    HELTER SKELTER - GLAND

Community Member

Adding info from another thread I made, and more.

Lemming mobs : Invitation to dinner heroic, run up the main staircase. All the warriror mobs lemming off the staircase to the bottom.

Pathing problems :
    Tharshk (sp) Arena, the end arena fight, none of the mobs path out of the rooms, they stay and somtimes are caught on the doorjams. multiple people reporting this happening.

Wizard of Wines, basement area with the wine racks, the final spawn sequence which opens the cave area, some of that mob pack get caught on the cave wall.

Hirelings : often now pathing wrong or just not pathing at all (can't find viable path?). Example : Wizard of Wines, basement area with racks, go into one of those winerack areas with the switch, hire follows you in to it, head back out to next switch, hire stays in that area and can't get to you. I noticed it clearly during this quest but then realised it had been happening for a while on various quests, and I just was summoning the hire and wondering why I had to do it so much now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    I wonder if there is any connection to the Hardcore Server needing adjusting so the NPC's could talk to multiple people in the numbers required. I remember this bug from when we first changed over to new or virtual or whatever they are servers. There was a change on Turbine/SSG side that stopped mobs from running into the water off ledges etc. I may not be correct, but I also think this is about the time that mobs AI got changed, to not respond to plinks of an arrow on the wall.

In totally unrelated other news based on my feelings and not on fact lol, I think the hirelings are acting GREAT. So maybe whatever changes were made to the Hardcore server messed mobs up but made hires better.

We might be on the cusp of fixing this nasty performance killing bug, I'm very excited. Imagine NOT having to restart each week! (crosses fingers)

Maybe there is a pathing file that is shared access from NPC talking dialogue with Mobs movement.
    Maybe when we went virtual this file can't be written or accessed, or cant be shared access,
    Maybe there's a race condition, on virtual sometimes things run to infinity fast, and eclipsed other proccess that need to interject. i.e., with no cap on NPC awareness time, the Mob AI Pathing cant read/write because the virtual processor is locked out. Things that don't happen in hardware often show up in virtual.

After talking to some guildies, seems to have started after Saturday’s HC patch.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Community Member

I noticed this too.
    Didn't know what was happening OR link it to anything that happened before, but now that somebody pointed it out, I can't stop seeing it everywhere!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grandern_Marn View Post
    Regardless of the overly hyperbolic start, the general idea behind the thread has some merit. Mob pathing in some quests could use a look at
    Do you even play the game? This isn't about improving pathing, it's about pathing being broken. It's not hyperbole as you would know if you played the game.

Community Member

I have to admit, when I saw this thread yesterday I initially thought: meh, overreacting.

Then I played A Cry For Help.

At the bit near the end where you have two bridges either side of the shrine, with higher levels over water (where you have to pull the levers up top). There's a bunch of guys up there.

Soon as I started shooting, they started running to me....straight off the ledges into the water. Only to bounce back. Repeat.

Easy enough to work around by changing my position slightly so if they did run to me they dropped on to the lower bridge and/or using my knock-down bird attack on 'em. Still, kinda annoying,

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cpw_acc View Post
    I have to admit, when I saw this thread yesterday I initially thought: meh, overreacting.
    LOL. Same here!

Read this thread yesterday and ignored it. Then I started playing Tear of Dhakaan, and everyone was just falling into the pits. Even archer mobs who never moved before are now moving, falling into the water below, and then respawing. Some mobs are just standing still behind pillars.

Mob AI is completely out of place.

Have to admit that I didn't really notice this.. then my static group decided to run Acute Delirium, and oh my God. The quest is already pretty tedious to me, but when beds and bookcases get stuck in corners, run into walls, and just generally fail even harder than usual... it was annoying for everybody involved. We're a pretty stubborn bunch, so we tried to forge our way through it in the hopes we could eventually build the airship.. but we ended up giving up after a pretty nice chunk of what felt like wasted time. I mean.. we were luring enemies to the ones that were getting stuck to kill them so we could try again. It was BAD!
    Last edited by ThomasMink; 08-20-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    "Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quikster View Post
    After talking to some guildies, seems to have started after Saturday’s HC patch.
    It has happened before. I think it is an alternative mob AI for when the servers are under load doing something else like patching behind the scenes.

Have also seen many mobs climb up vertical cliffs and dungeon walls. Sucks to be melee.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 08-20-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    It has happened before. I think it is an alternative mob AI for when the servers are under load doing something else like patching behind the scenes.

Have also seen many mobs climb up vertical cliffs and dungeon walls. Sucks to be melee.
    Be better if they just had the mobs stand in place and not able to attack players, you know, like when we lag out
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Community Member

Default Cannith Challenges

Attempted Cannith Challenges last night in the Palace. Was unable to do them do to bad pathing for the kobolds. They ran off the ramps and died in the tar pits. I do these challenges a lot and this seems to have just started happening. Plz fix.
    Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast