Default Returning from a Long hiatus, looking for general advice.

Hello DDO community. I've been gone from this game since...uh, 8+ years at least. I forget exactly when the last time I was about here was, though I think the last time I was seriously engaged it wasn't yet F2P, though I was about shortly after it went F2P as well.

Long story short, everything under the sun is new to me. I'm slowly reading wikis and threads on here, glad to see my prefered playstyle from back close to launch (Fire Evo Sorcerer) is still perfectly viable (I even read I have a way to remove fire immunity now!).

Point of this aside. I've got myself a lvl 17 never TR or anything sorcerer I would like to get to lvl 20, TR, and then slowly re-learn my way through the game with content I remember plus all the new content I have not seen, as I am mostly only familiar with content that is like, Shroud and before.

My question to ya'll is, what is the best way to get myself from 17 to 20, solo? I've got a couple of weeks of on and off time ahead of me, I wanna slow myself back in and expect to have long periods where I am stuck standing around in game while dealing with r/l. Since I am largely unfamiliar with any of the content at lvl 17+, and would prefer to do things solo so I can take my time and since I doubt I can do reaper difficulty at my level having not a single bit of reaper bonuses on my character (unless I wildly overestimate how hard it is), I am not sure if following the ("easy lvl 1-20") guides I find on here fit what I am after. Given, you know, I both don't care about speed, but such things as "Can I do this completely by myself going in blind" and "Is it fun to do?" more then anything.

I also need to figure out how to get the stuff I need to TR when I get there, though I could just buy the darn heart since I have apparently several thousand DDO points I have no clue what to otherwise spend on. That is another question I guess. What do people think is worth buying on the DDO in 2019?

Also let me see. My budget, and plans for getting back into the game had me just sign up for VIP access. But, does that give me access to everything? I See mention of needing to buy this or that expansion..but I don't see any way to actually do that. So I am unclear if paying the monthly VIP gets me -everything- or if there is some other stuff I will need to budget for (either points or pay checks) in the future whenever I grind my way back up to 20 and actually have stuff like reaper bonuses and etc so I can hang with other people.

Cheers.
    Fear my long winded posts! (all who read them beware!)

Characters -all on Khyber main characters- Sorc 17, barb 10, sorc 6

WB!

Quote Originally Posted by Bladededge123 View Post
    Hello DDO community. I've been gone from this game since...uh, 8+ years at least...
    A LOT has changed - we could talk for pages about it, and never get into the details. But to your points...

Good news is that in your inventory you'll now find both a +0 HoW (which all new characters now get) plus a +20 HoW (which all characters got during the big Enhancement change of ~ 6 years ago).

Here's a link to a (very) recent fire Sorcerer build, with discussion - should do you right -
    o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6221078

Here's a link to a spectrum of builds - some are a bit old, but very few are so old that they would not be considered workable:
    o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759353 (if you have a question*, ask in the subforum for that class!)

(* The only thing that's really changed for Sorcies is that the Eldritch Knight ("EK") tree got updated recently, and is stronger for defense/etc. The first link uses that, but the "basic sorcerer" in that long list is still perfectly solid.)

... I've got myself a lvl 17 never TR or anything sorcerer I would like to get to lvl 20, TR, and then slowly re-learn my way through the game... I am mostly only familiar with content that is like, Shroud and before.
    NP! Much of the "newer" content ("newer" releative to your situation) is about "Epic" play, Level 20+. If you have Vale of Twilight, you'll make 20 np.

...what is the best way to get myself from 17 to 20, solo?...
    Find a build to use as a model, and re-spec your character's enhancements. Respec Feats using Fred if you feel the need (and/or if you want to confirm the Feats/order in your current build). Join LFM's and get to 18, then milk that level, banking XP to 20. Take 20, and get your 20 Tokens - done.

o Fred - https://ddowiki.com/page/Fred#Feat_respec

(If you want a character planner to create a personal roadmap for this purpose or to plan/tweak future builds, I recommend this one: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5534437 )

o Tokens of the Twelve - https://ddowiki.com/page/Token_of_th...Drop_per_quest*
    (* most popular runs are Devil Assault (asking for help/"pass tokens pls"), Lords of Dust, Bargain of Blood (window boxing fast runs), and Spies (in no particular order), but running Cannith Challenges (spec. Time is Money) and simply trading Ingreds for Tokens can beat those for time/efficiency, depending on the build/player.)

You can pro'ly knock that out in a weekend. Then there's also this (and the original, embedded in that thread), but be warned - trying to knock out every line item could add months to your TR. Prioritize, remember that the next life your alt will be stronger so everything will be easier.

I also need to figure out how to get the stuff I need to TR when I get there, though I could just buy the darn heart since I have apparently several thousand DDO points I have no clue what to otherwise spend on.
    Nah, if you're Premium, you'll want to buy Quest Packs and Expansion Packs w/ those points, and it's dirt easy to earn 20 Tokens of the Twelve to trade for your TR or RR* HoW.

(* You can now get Racial Reincarnation PL's)

What do people think is worth buying on the DDO in 2019?
    If Premium, see my "How to choose a quest pack" link (in sig). If VIP, there's ~some~ stuff there about Expansion Packs, Ravenloft and such - skim thru and you should spot it (it's a longer-than-average post in there re Menace of the Underdark & Shadowfell Conspiracy).

My budget, and plans for getting back into the game had me just sign up for VIP access. But, does that give me access to everything?
    Nupe!

You'll want MotU and SC (as mentioned above), and most probably Ravenloft, none of which are free to VIP. Masterminds of Sharn is the newest expansion, but the jury is out whether that's a "must have" or just a "really really nice to have".

(Edit - Oh - and those first two have often gone on deep discount come Black Friday, end of November!)

Thanks! That was all the info I was looking for and more.
    Fear my long winded posts! (all who read them beware!)

Characters -all on Khyber main characters- Sorc 17, barb 10, sorc 6

np!

I should make clear that MotU and SC are both aimed at Epic play, 20+. You can easily enjoy the game in Heroic-only, 1-20, but the various Epic and Iconic PL's (both of which go to 30) add some really nice PL perks. Ymmv.

(Whatever you're going to buy, unless you have huge wads of cash spontaneously combusting in your pockets, just wait for a sale. Patience will be rewarded.)