Community Member

Default What the heck was I making?

Alright so I just came back to this game and found my old character on their second life (I never said I was very good!) and, obviously, I've lost all my notes for what I was doing with them.

They are a level 7 (Brd 6/Ftr 1) Halfling TWF warchanter. Feats seem to be TWF, Power attack, and extend spell. Stats are;

Str 21
    Dex 20
    Con 17
    Int 14
    Wis 12
    Cha 17

She's fully decked in medium armor and shortswords.

Thing is.. I have no idea where I was going with this warchanter build or why they are a halfling.
    Anyone have any idea what I might've been doing or... even better; what I should be doing? I don't wanna scrap the character, they're my first toon and the only one I've TRd so there's a level of emotional investment involved.

Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Clevercake View Post
    Alright so I just came back to this game and found my old character on their second life (I never said I was very good!) and, obviously, I've lost all my notes for what I was doing with them.

They are a level 7 (Brd 6/Ftr 1) Halfling TWF warchanter. Feats seem to be TWF, Power attack, and extend spell. Stats are;

Str 21
    Dex 20
    Con 17
    Int 14
    Wis 12
    Cha 17

She's fully decked in medium armor and shortswords.

Thing is.. I have no idea where I was going with this warchanter build or why they are a halfling.
    Anyone have any idea what I might've been doing or... even better; what I should be doing? I don't wanna scrap the character, they're my first toon and the only one I've TRd so there's a level of emotional investment involved.

Help?
    I have no idea what you are making but I have similar issues with weird builds I've built in the past. I would take that one up to 20 on bard levels and TR it to start fresh. My guess on the halfling was either you wanted a halfling past life or you wanted the dragonmark of healing.

Looks like you've got a lot of STR, so maybe switch to something that does a bit more damage than short swords?
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Of course...

Feats seem to be TWF, Power attack, and extend spell.
    You can confirm these via Fred.

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Fred#Tips:

Stats are;

Str 21
    Dex 20
    Con 17
    Int 14
    Wis 12
    Cha 17
    Yeah, no way a L7 Halfling has 21 Strength, much less that plus all the others - try mouse-hovering so you can see the "base" value (discounting Tomes, Guild buffs, and any Enhancements - and, of course, gear).

I have no idea where I was going with this warchanter build or why they are a halfling.
    Exactly - or approximately - how long have you been gone? That will help. If more than 6 years (pre Summer '13), builds were entirely different due to the diff way enhancements worked. And if(?) that's the case, then, unfortunately, 99% probable that we have to move on to your last question...

... what I should be doing?
    There are some good (current!) Bard/Fighter builds*. Halfing may not be the go-to choice, but just b/c it's not optimal doesn't mean it's not perfectly workable.

However, most of those are SWF Swashbucklers, not TWF Warchanters - so you'd have to respec some feats (or do some serious tweaking) to use those specific builds.

(* In fact, there are even some Barb/Fighter 12-class templates that allow you to glue on enough levels of any 3rd class you want for a diff Past Life. But there are also Racial Reincarnations now, if you want to go that way.)

Either way, know that leveling is easier now (even w/ a non-optimal build), so the alt won't be scrapped, np there. .

Here's some "not unsimilar" builds that I found - tweaking may/will be necessary:

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6236501
    o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5879115

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Of course...

You can confirm these via Fred.

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Fred#Tips:

Yeah, no way a L7 Halfling has 21 Strength, much less that plus all the others - try mouse-hovering so you can see the "base" value (discounting Tomes, Guild buffs, and any Enhancements - and, of course, gear).

Exactly - or approximately - how long have you been gone? That will help. If more than 6 years (pre Summer '13), builds were entirely different due to the diff way enhancements worked. And if(?) that's the case, then, unfortunately, 99% probable that we have to move on to your last question...

There are some good (current!) Bard/Fighter builds*. Halfing may not be the go-to choice, but just b/c it's not optimal doesn't mean it's not perfectly workable.

However, most of those are SWF Swashbucklers, not TWF Warchanters - so you'd have to respec some feats (or do some serious tweaking) to use those specific builds.

(* In fact, there are even some Barb/Fighter 12-class templates that allow you to glue on enough levels of any 3rd class you want for a diff Past Life. But there are also Racial Reincarnations now, if you want to go that way.)

Either way, know that leveling is easier now (even w/ a non-optimal build), so the alt won't be scrapped, np there. .

Here's some "not unsimilar" builds that I found - tweaking may/will be necessary:

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6236501
    o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5879115
    Alright. As for the feats; I missed one. Slashing weapon focus.

The stats are, broken up:

Str 15 + 2 (Tome) +1 Feat +3 Effect
    Dex 17 + 2 (Tome) +1 Effect
    Con 14 + 2 (Tome) +1 Feat
    Int 10 + 2 (Tome) + 2 Effect
    Wis 10 + 2 (Tome)
    Cha 14 + 2 (Effect)

Why do I have a tome on everything but Cha on a bard? What the hell, me?

I started this char in 2011 but they were last used in 2016.

The linked builds look pretty good but are different enough that I'd probably just have to play it by ear with them as a point of reference. But if, as you say, leveling is easier then that ought not to be too big a problem. Everyone just expects bards to sing and disappear anyhow, right? :P

Are hearts of wood for TRing easier to get too?

Community Member

You should have a Lesser Heart of Wood in your inventory. This allows you to perform a lesser reincarnation (LR), i.e. retrain starting stats, skills, and feats.

I'd LR into a swashbuckler. Maybe dex based. Stats: Max dex, then max con, then whatever. Split 14 bard / 6 fighter with Hand Axe. You can also take 2 rogue for evasion; but then people would expect that you do traps, so there's that.

Core feats: Precision, SWF, IC, Extend.

Community Member

With the recent changes to Stalwart and Sacred Defender stances you want absolutely nothing to do with them unless you're solo. They add so much threat now that you'll pull aggro from everything you touch almost instantly.

Obvously this is more important at level cap. But even during the leveling process you'll find yourself getting nuked in group settings if you're squishy, which you will be.

+20 hearts should have given to anyone with 3 or more paladin or fighter levels.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    You should have a Lesser Heart of Wood in your inventory. This allows you to perform a lesser reincarnation (LR), i.e. retrain starting stats, skills, and feats.

I'd LR into a swashbuckler. Maybe dex based. Stats: Max dex, then max con, then whatever. Split 14 bard / 6 fighter with Hand Axe. You can also take 2 rogue for evasion; but then people would expect that you do traps, so there's that.

I've got two, actually. Might do this. Scrounge around. Gather some notes. Make something that'll get me far enough to TR into something where I can have an actual plan, haha. Swashbuckler does look pretty interesting and I like the idea of being a tiny fencer. Time to start roaming the forums! Thanks!

Edit; I've also contemplated getting my hands on a +1 heart to get rid of the 1 fighter level, as there's any number of pure bard halfling builds that are up to date and not relying on my own general lack of and all around outdated knowledge.
    Last edited by Clevercake; 08-19-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Yeah, SWF has a very fast attack rate, to make up for less damage/hit. This means that any attack that has a "proc on hit" or "proc on crit" is optimized as there are more chances to roll/minute.

Edit; I've also contemplated getting my hands on a +1 heart to get rid of the 1 fighter level...
    Lots of pure Bards, but also lots of Bard/Fighter mixes. Nothing wrong w/ what you have. Unless you have the money to burn, just roll with it and don't worry too much. +1 Hearts are for optimizing Iconics to go to Level 30, not salvaging old builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post
    With the recent changes to Stalwart and Sacred Defender stances you want absolutely nothing to do with them unless you're solo.
    EDIT - nm, agreed re new updates.

(Original comment: +50% threat can be painful (depending), but the added PRR can easily offset that, depending on the build. Too broad of a blanket statement to simply say "you want nothing to do with them".)

Community Member

+50% threat can be painful (depending), but the added PRR can easily offset that, depending on the build. Too broad of a blanket statement to simply say "you want nothing to do with them".
    FYI the extra threat was significantly increased recently.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Halfling has a Dragonmark of Healing, the result might be a bit more being self-sufficient.
    Plus, there's a bonus for being small.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

+50% threat can be painful (depending), but the added PRR can easily offset that, depending on the build. Too broad of a blanket statement to simply say "you want nothing to do with them".
    It's quite a bit more than that these days. Recent changes. Release notes:

"Threat Generation
    Stalwart Defender stance's base threat increase is now 150%.
    Sacred Defender stance's base threat increase is now 150%.
    Stalwart Defender's Inciting Defense now adds 150%/300%/450% Competence Bonus to melee threat generation.
    Stalwart Defender's Threatening Countenance now adds 60%/120%/180% to melee threat generation.
    Sacred Defender's Inciting Defense now adds 150%/300%/450% Sacred Bonus to melee threat generation.
    Nature's Protector's Fierce Defense now adds 150%/300%/450% Competence Bonus to melee threat generation.

FYI the extra threat was significantly increased recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drecas View Post
    It's quite a bit more than that these days. Recent changes. Release notes:
    Urk - haven't been on top of the game in the last couple weeks - 150-450%??? my stomach hurts.