Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Hardcore Tales of Death

Just curious what stories folks have of their toons (or party members) dying in hardcore. Looking for the strange, bizarre, or heroic types of stories, but all are welcome.

I haven't had a toon die yet, so no stories of mine to share. I've had my share of good luck with traps actually missing me for a change. I'm sure the luck will run out: I will share when it happens.

Party members?

Bookbinder Rescue - R1: Before all party members could enter the quest, me included, I understand the rogue ran up to the quest-trigger guy, who then turned into a named champ and promptly single-shot two of our party right to the afterlife. Another member taking damage immediately on entering bailed right back out. We managed to control the situation and take the lower floor, but we decided to restart since there's no re-entry on Reaper. I don't know if those two would have survived if they had waited a bit, but buffs are called "buffs" for a reason, right?
    We did do the quest on Reaper without a rogue, which was fairly impressive. I should have died on one of those traps myself - the spikes as I ran over them thinking someone had pulled the disarm lever. That was just one of my lucky narrow escapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Careall View Post
    Just curious what stories folks have of their toons (or party members) dying in hardcore. Looking for the strange, bizarre, or heroic types of stories, but all are welcome.

I haven't had a toon die yet, so no stories of mine to share. I've had my share of good luck with traps actually missing me for a change. I'm sure the luck will run out: I will share when it happens.

Party members?

Bookbinder Rescue - R1: Before all party members could enter the quest, me included, I understand the rogue ran up to the quest-trigger guy, who then turned into a named champ and promptly single-shot two of our party right to the afterlife. Another member taking damage immediately on entering bailed right back out. We managed to control the situation and take the lower floor, but we decided to restart since there's no re-entry on Reaper. I don't know if those two would have survived if they had waited a bit, but buffs are called "buffs" for a reason, right?
    We did do the quest on Reaper without a rogue, which was fairly impressive. I should have died on one of those traps myself - the spikes as I ran over them thinking someone had pulled the disarm lever. That was just one of my lucky narrow escapes.
    My first Hardcore League character died in the same quest - Champion on the top floor hit me good with a spell, and managed to hit me with another before my Cure spell finished. Was level 6 holding 7.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

I joked elsewhere a few days ago about dying by drowning... One of the longer swims in 3-Toed Tobias almost got me.

--------

Notes to self: More points in Swim, and work harder on that UWA CC item. (Yeah, I could pot/scroll Water Breathing, but what fun is that?)

My characters do get the Water Breathing clicky item from <something in the past>, but habit got me and it was one of the things I threw out of my pack at roll-up. Right after I did that, I thought to myself I'd probably regret that.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    My first Hardcore League character died in the same quest - Champion on the top floor hit me good with a spell, and managed to hit me with another before my Cure spell finished. Was level 6 holding 7.
    I outlasted Steelstar! Level 8 and still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Human_Cypher View Post
    I outlasted Steelstar! Level 8 and still alive.
    Ha! I'll be back.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Hubby died late last night on his first character getting overconfident in Red Fang, to that poison trap that doesn't stop even when all others have been disarmed. He laughed. He was level 6.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member QueenOfTheHook's Avatar

Picture it.... running with some fellow home server buddies. One declares that cannith challenges are a great way to get some seriously OP low level gear. You aren't really sure this is a good idea, but they can't be much harder than regular quests so away we go.

We stepped into lava caves and my sole purpose in life was to protect the middle. This should have been an easy task given that I was a sorc, but I wasn't a nuking sorc. I was a party sorc with exactly 1 damaging spell at level 5 and 1 sla. Surely this would be enough as I had ways to make things stay still long enough to kill them. Then the first enemies arrived.... DROW! He took a level 5 caster into a quest filled with drow. As my HP dropped, I hit my aasimar healing hands and got the dreaded, "Your ability score is too low to use this". What?!? Why in da world does the racial version have an ability score requirement? Luckily the druid tossed me a heal and I made it through the first run.

The plan had been to go to the bank between each run, but given the new knowledge that my emergency heals weren't going to work, I decided to pop over to House J for some healing potions and a wand of owl's wisdom. The party jumped back in before I remembered to go to the bank. The party was full, I had a VIP in that bag that needed to be safe and sound in the bank... Elieri (Permanent) was with me along with the first run's ingredients.

I was holding my own and then the dreaded moment happened. A drow caster came up with a crowd and smacked me with poison and before I could react and drink a potion, the death nail cold ray hit me. Suddenly there I was standing there staring at Mortality with nothing left to do other than say "I told you so."

Quote Originally Posted by QueenOfTheHook View Post
    Picture it.... running with some fellow home server buddies. One declares that cannith challenges are a great way to get some seriously OP low level gear. You aren't really sure this is a good idea, but they can't be much harder than regular quests so away we go.

We stepped into lava caves and my sole purpose in life was to protect the middle. This should have been an easy task given that I was a sorc, but I wasn't a nuking sorc. I was a party sorc with exactly 1 damaging spell at level 5 and 1 sla. Surely this would be enough as I had ways to make things stay still long enough to kill them. Then the first enemies arrived.... DROW! He took a level 5 caster into a quest filled with drow. As my HP dropped, I hit my aasimar healing hands and got the dreaded, "Your ability score is too low to use this". What?!? Why in da world does the racial version have an ability score requirement? Luckily the druid tossed me a heal and I made it through the first run.

The plan had been to go to the bank between each run, but given the new knowledge that my emergency heals weren't going to work, I decided to pop over to House J for some healing potions and a wand of owl's wisdom. The party jumped back in before I remembered to go to the bank. The party was full, I had a VIP in that bag that needed to be safe and sound in the bank... Elieri (Permanent) was with me along with the first run's ingredients.

I was holding my own and then the dreaded moment happened. A drow caster came up with a crowd and smacked me with poison and before I could react and drink a potion, the death nail cold ray hit me. Suddenly there I was standing there staring at Mortality with nothing left to do other than say "I told you so."
    My first Hardcore character died from a Sorcerer in one of the Lava Caves Challenges. We were level 4 running on level 4 trying to get Bracers of the Wind. I popped my head around a corner to see if there were any purples. Their weren’t but there was this that caster along with some other mobs. I knew I was overextended so my plan was to retreat a bit, but then I was stuck in a web...Then I was hit with a couple of Scorching Rays followed by a Fireball and that was it...Looking through my combat log I missed about five save throws in a row. I had decent saves, but that’s not going to help you if you roll poorly multiple times in a row. I went from full health to dead in a few seconds.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by QueenOfTheHook View Post
    Why in da world does the racial version have an ability score requirement?
    I had to look up ddo wiki for a guildie yesterday on that one.

It has a multiplier times your wisdom ability bonus.
    It seems that zero times anything is zero...
    (negative value returning as zero)

Looking for the strange, bizarre, or heroic types of stories,
    I'm exclusively relying on overconfidence, carelessness and down right stupidity for all my deaths so far
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Community Member

Default Tale of almost death at least

I had a very close call at around level 4, about as close as you can get tbh.
    In recovering the lost tome, at full hp I went to turn of one of the lightning traps using the runes, rolled a 1 on my save just as I disabled it and ended up on -9hp.
    And it was almost 15 seconds before a fellow party member tossed me a heal. It seems I had stabilized during that time at a 5% chance.

Still going strong at the moment at level 10, with 11 in the bank. Working on level 6 quest favor.
    Cannith Server: Maetrim - Once again complete
    Maetrim's DDO Character Planner: https://github.com/Maetrim/DDOBuilder/releases

The screams... Somebody should record them.

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    The screams... Somebody should record them.
    Personally, I think when the Global announcement goes off that someone dies, I so want to hear an evil DM's laughter...muwahahahaha!
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Bookbinder Rescue
    I haven't died yet, level 7 warlock. Was running through Bookbinder on Hard when an arti joins. We finish, and he asks if I do all of them on hard. I said, "That one, because of the traps." He say, "We can do elite, I'm good with traps". I was probably level 4 and he was probably 6. We enter, he heads off, I go trap grab a drink, and find he's gone and dead. Looks to be the lightning trap room since one is disarmed and there is other activity in the room.
    I use cleric hires to do those traps. They haven't died yet but I'd rather risk their skin than mine. I did complete it on elite.

The experience just reminded me to be more cautious. LOTS of low level deaths being broadcasted on that server.
    Ghallanda: Vilas, Alphon, Whelm, Thaylan, Tyclmi, Amgine, Talc, Dedlee, Payle, Darell, Talenta, Zhen, Thrane, Arrith, Durdyn, Magefyre, Necrophil, Tulgey, Borogove, Hasugi, Shawal, Hailestorm, Branthan, Lightningbug, Bettercall, Elecktric, Zardu, Zergworthy, BrotherOf, Missadventer, Bytemy, Demogeorgia, Tizen (33) Sarlona: (7) Cannith: (2)

Community Member

Default Kobolds new ring leader

I was playing on my level 4 Eldritch Knight Wizard, who I thought was pretty bulky. We got to the end of the quest the 'Kobolds new ring leader' on elite.

This was where it all ended for my character. We were at the final room of the dungeon; the point where the party was set to confront the red named ogre that I assume was the 'kobolds new ringleader'. Everyone stopped right in front of the final door, so I dropped about 3 webs in anticipation for what would be come running through. Crowd control would be my contribution.

Well the party opened the doors and then literally nothing happened. Crickets. No one moved for about 20 seconds. The webs I put up were about to disappear and I was getting impatient. The webs were also blocking my view and whatever was inside must have been around a corner because I could not see anything. So I couldn't figure out why no one was moving.

I didn't know this quest so I decided to run through the doors to prompt everyone to start moving. Well that was a mistake.

As soon as I went through I saw the ogre everyone else must have been looking at. It came jogging towards me. I tried to run away the moment I recognized what it was, but then I saw it wind up the 3 swing strike that ogres do. And then before I could even blink my character was in the land of lost souls.

It gave me an appreciation for how sudden deaths must be for these adventurers. Just a black out and then next, waking up in the land of lost souls.

Other deaths I have witnessed:
    Mostly the teams I am have run with have had very bleak survival chances. We have discussed how we often start out with 6 or so people, and the after a few quests we will be down to half. Whenever someone dies we press f to pay our respects. I am not sure if this is serious or a joke.

A lot of the deaths I have seen have been to traps. Usually I will say something like "trap around that door, be careful", and then someone will run into that trap and die.
    Last edited by tylersloeper1; 08-20-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Default Proof is in The Poison

Proof is in the Poison Elite

Had done a nice run with a competent party.
    I was level 5 holding level 6 and then level 6 holding level 7
    We ran all of Water Works elite
    STK 1 and 2 Elite
    Tangle Root 1 -4 Elite
    Red Fang ( lost 1 to Poison traps then another to the Fire trap after the Poison Room. )
    Freshen the Air Elite

And Then.......Proof is in the Poison.....DUNN DUNN DDDDAAAAAAA.

Was going well.. I had prepared Was running a 1/5 ranger/pally Asimar, had stocked up on resist 20 pots for Acid, Fire, and Electric.
    Was headed into the Home Stretch of the Quest and met my demise against a Red Crown Skyborn Champion with a 1 shot kill Lightening bolt.

Ahh well...said good bye to my Blade of the Inquisition, Level 1 vorpal short sword, Battle Worn Sword, ( but not my level 3 perm hireling, thank the good spirits )

So deleted the character, Created a new of the same name. And now back at level 5....
    Originally Posted by grodon9999
    "I'm beginning to think a lot of people play this game because it's cheaper than paying for a Dominatrix."
    Disciplines Disciples - 54 Alts on Khyber and counting

Community Member

I was running R1 Kobold's New Ringleader and we pulled a carnage reaper; which went directly for me and hit me in 1 shot down to about 40% health. I promptly teleported out of the quest; the warlock that had been standing next to me ended up in the afterlife.
    Afunkymunky/Drkivorkian, Helter Skelter on Ghallanda

Epic Ring of Spell Storing--https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...+spell+storing

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary View Post
    I had a very close call at around level 4, about as close as you can get tbh.
    In recovering the lost tome, at full hp I went to turn of one of the lightning traps using the runes, rolled a 1 on my save just as I disabled it and ended up on -9hp.
    And it was almost 15 seconds before a fellow party member tossed me a heal. It seems I had stabilized during that time at a 5% chance.

Still going strong at the moment at level 10, with 11 in the bank. Working on level 6 quest favor.

Not my death...

I was in a party in recovering the lost tome and we had the same situation. A guy got knocked down to -9 from a lightning trap and I hit him with Lay on Hands. He got back up to full health and made it to the end with no more drama. Then he went to open a trapped chest that he thought was disabled. He didn't realize the rogue rolled a one and blew the trap. Ding!!! He was gone just like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo174 View Post
    Opening up the casual difficulty for raids would have been a much better solution. Since all the whiners are just complaining about not being able to play through the content they paid for. Just give them their casual difficulty. Since they are just a bunch of casuals.

Proud Member of the Bunch of Casuals Club!!!!!

Just curious what stories folks have...
    For as much as Ive seen it discussed, I have yet to see anyone die in a trap. Then again, I seem to keep winding up in parties with multiple trappers and in one party over the course of most of a day the group was all trappers except myself.

Most of the deaths Ive seen are overconfidence (reapers) or failure to play as a team with a group of 6 soloists running around not paying attention to the other players in the group.

Having said that, it has really brought back the aggro and to a lesser degree pathing issues that have never been addressed. For example, I was in one of the early Assault on Splinterskull quests. Most of us were in that large intersection room leading to the throne room. One of the warlocks, maybe it was two, went up the hall to the scorpion cell block and opened the door and began engaging the hobgoblins. I, a cleric, was back past the intersection room and around the corner up the hall not fighting, no line of sight, no hirelings or summons to draw aggro. Most of the party was already finishing out. Normally I can see the mobs sneaking up to me so I was quite surprised when half finished out a champion seemed to phase out of the wall and one shot me. While I understand and to some degree agree with the idea behind the aggro changes made some years ago, it was clear that they botched it back then and the fact that we all still put up with seemingly teleporting creatures killing toons many times rooms away is ridiculous. Maybe it doesn't effect us much now with our multilife toons as it isn't as much of a threat but if this had happened when I was new I would have simply quit playing this game and went elsewhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast