Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wink How did you die?

I'm loving the Hardcore server so far. Managed to hit level 3 and so far haven't died.

But all those world announcements make me curious.

So, if you are one of the unfortunates and feel like sharing - HOW DID YOU DIE? And what quest were you in when it happened?

Did you forget feather fall? Did you think the water was deeper? Did you brave Reaper 10?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to know

[And I will post my death which is inevitable!]
    Last edited by TorGrimorde; 08-17-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    Hymm | Grypp | Dimachaerii | Othala | Wylle

[Defense Guild]
    grimorde.com

Community Member

Not dead yet, but I've come danger close a couple of times when Kobold Shamans and their lightning bolts of doom double-strike me just about the time my resist pot runs out. I'm fairly sure that those lightning bolts have accounted for more than a few.
    Andrialla / Archellus / Kadarin / Mercantile Joe
    Knight of The Silver Legion (Forum name: Rugar)
    Cannith

Community Manager

Great idea for a thread!

I haven't died yet, but am only about half way through 3. I - almost - wiped in Haverdasher Elite last night when I pulled too much aggro from the scorpion room w/the named.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

#1 - Tangleroot part 2 end room with the final prisoner. Champion Hobgoblin Slayer with Demon Soul didn't care about my Webs and butchered my level 4 baby sorc.

#2 - Holding level 8 on my Arti, cleaning up Sharn Syndicate favor, first trap room in Dirty Laundry on R1, bam, double spike hit with failed saves -> dead.
    On live, I would have jump + Featherfalled over to the box and disarmed it without thinking. On HC... I couldn't have made the jump, probably much less have hit the gear to disarm it. It's crazy (and super fun!)
    Last edited by Deathdefy; 08-18-2019 at 03:40 AM.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Rumors--

Level 10 Sorcerer just died on elite in the Pit.

Healer type died at level 6 last night, when a trapper blew up a box that exploded and killed multiple party members.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 08-17-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    a trapper blew up a box that exploded and killed multiple party members.
    I've been trapping and it's nerve wracking. Tons of fun, every time, don't roll a one.

Level 4 so far, some close, but not too close, calls so far.

Kobold shaman lightning bolts are dangerous w/o ship (cargo) resists.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

got incapped and made it.

caster in corthos with magic missiles.
    main toons: Cerrsi(silly caster/xbow) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Level 4 so far, some close, but not too close, calls so far.

Kobold shaman lightning bolts are dangerous w/o ship (cargo) resists.
    Just one rank from L5 I got hit by two simultaneous lightning traps in Recover the Lost Tome.

(Combat): You attempt to save versus trap:electric. You roll a 5 (+3): save failure!
    (Combat): You suffer 82 points of damage from Trap:Electric.
    (Combat): You attempt to save versus trap:electric. You roll a 9 (+3): save failure!
    (Combat): You suffer 56 points of damage from Trap:Electric.

I was a L4 Horc barbarian with 103 HP and both Die Hard and Die Harder enhancements.

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.

Community Member

I got taken out by a champ mephit with a volley of magic missiles. Forgot to cast nightshield. Bye bye 8th lvl.

Have to say the only way I've been taken out is by champs. Champs make it too difficult to judge a quests difficulty. And have to say, hardcore is just highlighting how difficult it is for new players -especially with champs, they should be an optional level of difficulty.
    Last edited by tarrith_dourden; 08-23-2019 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tarrith_dourden View Post
    Champs make it too difficult to judge a quests difficulty. And have to say, hardcore is just highlighting how difficult it is for new players -especially with champs, they should be an optional level of difficulty.
    Yes, not having 20, 30, or more past lives and a bunch of low level twink gear is a game changer even for the most veteran players. Especially when death is permanent.

It's easy to say a skilled first lifer with minimal gear can contribute just fine in low-mid reaper quests when all the other players are running characters with gear and past lives and a couple of deaths is no big deal. But when everyone in the party is a first lifer with random loot gen gear and there are no raise deads/res shriines/cakes - well it's a whole different story and maybe will help vets sympathize a little more with new players back on the regular servers.

My second character died. I was level 7, holding 8. I died on the trapped corridor in the 1st part of Deleras...I thought there was just one trap, but as I tried to run past it the next two went off and I was dead. Boo. My next character will be able to do traps.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

I got taken out by a champ mephit with a volley of magic missiles. Forgot to cast nightshield. Bye bye 8th lvl.

Have to say the only way I've been taken out is by champs. Champs make it too difficult to judge a quests difficulty. And have to say, hardcore is just highlighting how difficult it is for new players -especially with champs, they should be an optional level of difficulty.
    Did the word Elite change it's definition? There are no champs on normal, what makes it elite if you remove anything and everything that is elite? Why not just award the favor and experience when getting the quest to avoid any challenge at all?
    Choler 30 Brd 5PLs | Enmity 30 Clr | Exasperate 30 Sor | Ferocity 30Pal 13PLs | Furyous 30Inq Heroic/Epic Completionist 82PLs | Hiddin 20Mnk 2PL | Infuryated 30War 6PL | Retributive 20Dru 2PL | Vehemence 30Rog Completionist 35PLs | Vehement 10Pal 3Mnk 1Rog | Vexate 30Wiz Heroic/Epic Completionist 49PLs | Violence 30Clr Heroic/Epic/Racial Completionist 94PLs

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FURYous View Post
    Did the word Elite change it's definition? There are no champs on normal, what makes it elite if you remove anything and everything that is elite? Why not just award the favor and experience when getting the quest to avoid any challenge at all?
    To be fair, veteran players didn't have to deal with champs when they first joined the game. New players should have the option of not having to deal with them as well unless they want to. As I said, it should be an optional level of difficulty, possibly one that can be selected when entering a dungeon by the leader.
    Last edited by tarrith_dourden; 08-23-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Default Never seen before Glitch

Information is Key
    Pulled the lever to open the first hidden door (above some crates)
    Instantly take 80 falling damage and die without moving an inch.

Fun times.

Community Member

2 toons made it to #1 rxp leader board.

1st one died to famine reaper frost lance and carnage hit at same time.

2nd one died to black n blue dragon dot (after the quest was over QQ)
    Triple All

Ghallanda forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Indubitably View Post
    Information is Key
    Pulled the lever to open the first hidden door (above some crates)
    Instantly take 80 falling damage and die without moving an inch.

Fun times.
    The Falling Bug™.

As nefarious as the Ladder Bug™ - just deadlier.

But yeah, that really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    .... You get 1-4 champs, maybe not even the tough ones, and it's difficulty is miles different than if 25 of them spawn, especially mini bosses that become champs.

If there are no champs, you know exactly how hard the quest will be, since it will be exactly the same as the last time you ran it.

I'm fine with things as they are, but I can't disagree with his observation.
    We're digressing, but I can turn this one into another "I almost..." moment.

Elite Kobold Assault. Just me, my mechno-pup, faithful Elieri, and a helper FvS hireling, Storm. I have my crew at the main gate taking care of business while I'm at the back strafing/bombing the attackers. Suddenly a pack of 3 Champs roll in the gate, mow down my crew like they were weeds and charged right at me!

I imagine the surviving Kobolds are still cleaning up the stain I left as I ran screaming for the exit door! ...and my cat looked at me funny.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 08-23-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

To be fair, veteran players didn't have to deal with champs when they first joined the game. New players should have the option of not having to deal with them as well unless they want to. As I said, it should be an optional level of difficulty, possibly one that can be selected when entering a dungeon by the leader.
    It 100% is an "optional level of difficulty" that "can be selected when entering a dungeon by the leader". It's called Elite, if you don't want champs, select the champ free option.

Elite:
    1. the best of a class
    2. a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group
    3. the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.
    4. The best or most skilled members of a group
    5. those people or organizations that are considered the best or most powerful compared to others of a similar type

Five different dictionaries seem to indicate a similar trend in the meaning of this word
    Choler 30 Brd 5PLs | Enmity 30 Clr | Exasperate 30 Sor | Ferocity 30Pal 13PLs | Furyous 30Inq Heroic/Epic Completionist 82PLs | Hiddin 20Mnk 2PL | Infuryated 30War 6PL | Retributive 20Dru 2PL | Vehemence 30Rog Completionist 35PLs | Vehement 10Pal 3Mnk 1Rog | Vexate 30Wiz Heroic/Epic Completionist 49PLs | Violence 30Clr Heroic/Epic/Racial Completionist 94PLs

Quote Originally Posted by FURYous View Post
    It 100% is an "optional level of difficulty" that "can be selected when entering a dungeon by the leader". It's called Elite, if you don't want champs, select the champ free option.

Elite:
    1. the best of a class
    2. a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group
    3. the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.
    4. The best or most skilled members of a group
    5. those people or organizations that are considered the best or most powerful compared to others of a similar type

Five different dictionaries seem to indicate a similar trend in the meaning of this word
    The only non-champ level of difficulty you can select is Casual or Normal.

He is right too, elite did not include champs a few years ago (2014), so many veterans obtained multiple past lives and twink gear before ever having to face them.

His original point is also well taken, due to the random nature of champions spawning it is hard to gauge how difficult a quest will be, especially on elite. You get 1-4 champs, maybe not even the tough ones, and it's difficulty is miles different than if 25 of them spawn, especially mini bosses that become champs.

If there are no champs, you know exactly how hard the quest will be, since it will be exactly the same as the last time you ran it.

I'm fine with things as they are, but I can't disagree with his observation.

You have an old enough join date to know that we vets that didn't have to deal with champs
    Also didn't have any dungeon scaling for solo play.
    Every Quest and every slayer area was scaled to a party of 4 regardless of how many party members were there.
    The game was far harder when the level cap was 10 then it is today.

The game has 2 levels of difficulty that have no champs present.
    IMO Even with chaps present the game is easier then it was in 2006.
    Originally Posted by grodon9999
    "I'm beginning to think a lot of people play this game because it's cheaper than paying for a Dominatrix."
    Disciplines Disciples - 54 Alts on Khyber and counting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast