Community Member

Default Fleshie Melee DPS Artificer

Hi Guys,

Last night in my weekly group it was determined that I would be responsible for traps on our next character run. I prefer running melee characters and I thought a melee artificer would take care of traps, provide front line dps and perhaps help with crowd control. I have read the Maverick Hunter post and yet I still am unclear on a few items as I have never run a melee artificer. Firstly I would like to run a fleshie (I know it isn't as optimal) with my first choice being Half-Orc but it appears the intelligence penalty is too significant if intelligence based so then I was thinking dwarf. It would be awesome to do the throw your weight around although it appears many of the crowd control options would vanish if constitution was the main stat and intelligence the second stat and crowd control is very useful. With that being said I would likely start with intelligence of 16 and constitution of 18 on a dwarf. I'm guessing going 20 artificer with 41 points in battle engineer, 26-ish in renegade, 8 in harper for Know the Angles, leftover in dwarf for some extra tactics or con. I have a few areas that I'm struggling with:

1. If dwarf I was thinking warhammers (Mornh is an option in the gift box I've never used) however you get glancing blows with the dwarven axes making them a better option perhaps? You also get dwarven axes for free. If you went with the dwarven axes and didn't use any feats in THF for glancing blows are the dwarven axes still a better option? I only see the drow dwarven axe with an extended crit range whereas there seem to be a few options for warhammer.

2. For feats I would use the SWF x 3, improved critical, insightful reflexes, would going precision be a better option or should I try to do power attack with cleave and great cleave. I'm guessing cleave is useful to open up options in epics. I would be going into epics with this build. I'm also guessing legendary dreadnaught is where you want to be?

3. I'm a little confused as to construct essence. It reduces healing by 25% and lets you get 50% from repair. The renegade master maker gets you 10% healing amp and 50 repair amplification easily. Wouldn't that allow you to only suffer a minor healing penalty and give you a repair option as well. I would be in a group with someone else healing me so perhaps I should just forget about construct essence and help with healing via curative admixture?

4. Making traps can be great crowd control however I think you need improved traps from the tier 2 rogue mechanic. Is trapmaking pretty much off the board if you don't have the 2 levels of rogue.

5. The curative admixtures seem to be able to be empowered, maximized, empowered healing and intensified. If you want to be a stand in main healer at times how many of those feats do you need or do you need any of them?

Thanks for any advice as I try to put this together,
    D

Community Member

Default Some Thoughts from My Recent Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer_Bell View Post
    1. If dwarf I was thinking warhammers (Mornh is an option in the gift box I've never used) however you get glancing blows with the dwarven axes making them a better option perhaps? You also get dwarven axes for free. If you went with the dwarven axes and didn't use any feats in THF for glancing blows are the dwarven axes still a better option? I only see the drow dwarven axe with an extended crit range whereas there seem to be a few options for warhammer.
    You do not get dwarven waraxes for free. You need to read the fine print. You only get dwarven waraxes for free if you have martial weapon proficiency. Artificers do not have martial weapon proficiency so you will have to invest either an Artificer bonus feat or a regular feat on this proficiency. In terms of DPS, I believe most people think WH is the better option but that is based on having Welhm which is an awesome item. Then again, you will have a larger variety of weapons to choose from than if you do waraxe. There are very few endgame waraxes and the only thing available at level 20 is the Templar's Justice. After that you have to wait until either level 26 for a crafted ToEE or Thunderforged Tier 2 weapon or until level 28-29 for the other non-raid waraxes available.

3. I'm a little confused as to construct essence. It reduces healing by 25% and lets you get 50% from repair. The renegade master maker gets you 10% healing amp and 50 repair amplification easily. Wouldn't that allow you to only suffer a minor healing penalty and give you a repair option as well. I would be in a group with someone else healing me so perhaps I should just forget about construct essence and help with healing via curative admixture?
    So I tried this and it blew. I thought it would help to have the extra 0.5W damage from the tier 5 BE tree (Weapon Attachment), but I found that it was pretty much useless. If you use a wand or scroll or switch weapons you have to activate it again and it takes a looong time. On top of that you get shafted in Reapers. Now your self-healing is twice as bad because you are not fully a construct nor fully a fleshie i.e. it's a lose-lose proposition. The only way to make it work is if you go all-in and get improved construct essence. Then you get the full benefits of repair plus some extra goodies, but improved construct essence is not an Artificer bonus feat so you will have to plan wisely. If you do go this way, wait until you can take the feat then switch out a feat for the construct essence feat before you take your new feat-granting level. That said, if you are doing this you might as well just play warforged.

4. Making traps can be great crowd control however I think you need improved traps from the tier 2 rogue mechanic. Is trapmaking pretty much off the board if you don't have the 2 levels of rogue.
    My experience with traps as a full level 20 Rogue mechanic is that they are great in low-level heroics and lose value as you get closer to the epic levels i.e. mid-to-late teens, becoming totally useless in epic levels.

5. The curative admixtures seem to be able to be empowered, maximized, empowered healing and intensified. If you want to be a stand in main healer at times how many of those feats do you need or do you need any of them?
    I can't say about empowered healing, but you can maximize them and they do a decent job with just that.
    Last edited by JoeCamb02140; 08-19-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Adding more

Community Member

1. I just did a dwarven melee pure arti a few months ago. It was solid, but since I didn't have any racial AP, I didn't end up sinking many points into that tree. My weapon of choice from 9-15ish was Whelm: the shockwave (and crit boost with KT) added quite a bit of aoe dps, which I found was lacking a bit in early to mid-heroics up until the Lightning Storm runearms.

Re: dwarven axes, there's nothing wrong with them per se, they just don't add as much benefit - named ones are few and far between, the crit profile isn't stellar, they don't benefit from KT and you don't get the capstone BE boost to crit profile until 20. I'd consider dwarven axes on an EK, since the spellsword provides at least half your damage in that case, but as an artificer my damage came from base weapon damage (incl. crits) and runearm blasts

2. They just removed the PA requirement from Momentum Swing. Lay Waste can reset MS's timer and you can pick up Kinetic Discharge from RMM for free, so I wouldn't go down that line unless you've got a lot of spare feats.

Precision is fine and will really shine in Sharn and epics, where things get a lot harder to crit. You might also consider Combat Expertise for the LD boost.

3 / 5. I found Construct Essence to be a trap as well. I ended up soloing a fair bit and even with Maximized / Empowered admixtures (I don't think I had EH...) + mediocre gear I was healing for under 100. That got to be a problem even in R1 because it could take 30s to heal up after a long fight, or because I would struggle to heal mid-combat

4. I didn't bother with traps and made it to 20 just fine. There are better things to spend your feats on

Community Member

I am a big fan of admixtures. Artificers have a bunch of bonus feats, Maximize is well worth it. Other feats you mention also work, but probably aren't necessary. Starting at level 1, with Maximize and 2 AP into Renegade Mastermaker, you get potent AoE heals. Later, you chain the two lower level SLAs with the critical admixture spell for decent and extremely cheap AoE healing. It's a bit slower, so start tossing early.

I like to play my artificers as casters, so I usually have all metas, it's fun.