Community Member

Default Best Inquisitive split?

I've made a 12/7/1 Ranger/Bard/Barbarian inquisitive and it is really good. I got 32 doubleshot from enhancements (heroic).

But i am wondering what the highest dps build is?

I am leaning towards a pure ranger. +20 doubleshot +20 ranged power and a couple of clickies for extra damage. more doubleshot with killer and 5 fve from feats.

A pure fighter also might be good. +21 doubleshot +40 ranged power and no sniper shot. +14 damage.

I am reading about a ranger rouge artificer split is also good.
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    I've made a 12/7/1 Ranger/Bard/Barbarian inquisitive and it is really good. I got 32 doubleshot from enhancements (heroic).

I am leaning towards a pure ranger. +20 doubleshot +20 ranged power and a couple of clickies for extra damage. more doubleshot with killer and 5 fve from feats.

A pure fighter also might be good. +21 doubleshot +40 ranged power and no sniper shot. +14 damage.

The highest pure DPS build while using No Holds Barred right now isn't even using dual XBows, but a Rogue 18 using NHB but the 18th Mechanic core for +2 crit mult on GXBs.

I always go Arti 2. That extra item slot does work. The Halloween runearm especially, with permanent ghost touch so I can change weapons without fearing a sneak attack from a random Reaper, but that's obviously not the top DPS option.

Community Member

I think the sneak die from a deep Rogue split is probably hard to overcome on a build with such a high potential ROF as Inqui, especially with all the fort bypass it can get

That being said, that's a pure DPS build (well and trapping of course) because you'll have no utility, no CC, no healing, no buffing, etc. And you'll need to figure out how to proc sneaks if you're soloing.

I think the "best" split in terms of combining high DPS with other useful properties is some Ranger/Arti/XX split. That gives you a more diverse portfolio with Doubleshot, sneak, runearms, lots of autogrant feats so you can take things like Dodge/Mobi, some self heals and buffs, etc. XX can be Rogue for Evasion (if you're <9 Rgr) and more sneak, Fighter for more feats and Kensei stuff, Barb for runspeed and temp HP, etc.
    Last edited by droid327; 08-13-2019 at 01:48 PM.

In no particular order. Just a few I've tried.

16 arti 2 barb 2 ftr
    16 rog 2 barb 2 ftr
    10 ftr 6 rog 2 arti
    10 rog 6 ftr 2 arti
    16 rog 4 arti
    16 ftr 2 arti 2 barb

Going to be doing some ranger lives next iconic, so will mix it up more then.

As far as class splits with a repeater/Gxbow build, I've probably done another 30-40 combinations including high levels in pally, sorc, wizard, bard, ect….. But not as many since inquisitive came out.

My current is a 16Arti/2Ftr/2Barb (bladeforge). It is not the highest/max dps available. It is however been working just as I expected.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    In no particular order. Just a few I've tried.

16 arti 2 barb 2 ftr
    16 rog 2 barb 2 ftr
    10 ftr 6 rog 2 arti
    10 rog 6 ftr 2 arti
    16 rog 4 arti
    16 ftr 2 arti 2 barb

Going to be doing some ranger lives next iconic, so will mix it up more then.

As far as class splits with a repeater/Gxbow build, I've probably done another 30-40 combinations including high levels in pally, sorc, wizard, bard, ect….. But not as many since inquisitive came out.

My current is a 16Arti/2Ftr/2Barb (bladeforge). It is not the highest/max dps available. It is however been working just as I expected.
    What's the 2 levels of fighter for? Just the extra feats? It wouldn't seem this build is feat starved with all the extra arti feats. Haste Boost?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    What's the 2 levels of fighter for? Just the extra feats? It wouldn't seem this build is feat starved with all the extra arti feats. Haste Boost?
    If I had to guess, easy access to extra action boosts, but the feats are still welcome, though they'll probably be defensive feats at that point.
    You can net IPS a few levels earlier on some builds if you take those Fighter levels at the proper time, so there's that going for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xgya View Post
    If I had to guess, easy access to extra action boosts, but the feats are still welcome, though they'll probably be defensive feats at that point.
    You can net IPS a few levels earlier on some builds if you take those Fighter levels at the proper time, so there's that going for you too.

Fighter feats can get you more rp as well haven’t run the numbers to see if two is worth it. But I’ve been running 14ftr/4arti/2rog the past couple of lives and it’s pretty ridiculous the rp and damage I’m getting. Nobody else thinks it’s good cuz I give up too much SA. But if you actually do math it’s coming out on top. But hey, math. Blargh.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

I did about 32 racial lives as inquisitor builds, have dabbled in many different splits and for me, 6 Ranger for sniper shot just seems ridiculously OP especially if you solo a lot. Its on a 6 second cooldown, can effect groups of mobs via improved precise shot and provides 4 seconds of sneak attack vulnerability. Whats not to love about that?
    Neurik of Argo.
    8 Ranger 8 Rogue 4 Arti Inquisitor Heroic TR build--> https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...eroic-TR-build

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Cleric 11, Artificer 2, whatever else 7 (might even be Clr 11/Arti 2/Clr7).

Because that gives you a Cleric past life without making you play as a "real" Cleric.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post

Because that gives you a Cleric past life without making you play as a "real" Cleric.
    9 Wiz 2 Rogue 9 XXX?

Gives you Evasion+Trapping with INT for everything, PM toolkit with nearly maxed caster levels for heals, the L9 die step for EK, and two free metas for Quicken/Extend.

It'll award you an XXX PL for all release classes. For post-release classes...just go 10 XXX 8 Wiz, you only lose the die step for EK, or use a dedicated build for Arti or FvS

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swimms View Post
    I did about 32 racial lives as inquisitor builds, have dabbled in many different splits and for me, 6 Ranger for sniper shot just seems ridiculously OP especially if you solo a lot. Its on a 6 second cooldown, can effect groups of mobs via improved precise shot and provides 4 seconds of sneak attack vulnerability. Whats not to love about that?
    Agreed, Sniper is the linchpin of my Inqui solo build. I alternate between that and Shoot First, they're OHKs on EH and under. And it works even better with Hunt's End...its +3[W], guaranteed crit threat, +2 crit mult, +400% damage, and it hits between 2 and 4 times to everything in a line And you can use it every 24 seconds

Honestly I'm surprised 9 Rgr isnt seen more often as the core of any Inqui build. Its got a great set of skills to complement Inqui....a bit of self-healing, Sniper Shot, DWS gives you some great things like 20% Doubleshot with your 27 flex AP, autogrant ranged feats, Evasion.
    Last edited by droid327; 09-19-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post

Why would a ranged based character want a cleric past life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Why would a ranged based character want a cleric past life?
    Acid-based Wiz Inqui? Warlock ES Inqui?

Or, of course, just Completionist

Community Member

I'll try that soon enough as I am looking for another build for inquisitive. The Ranger cure spells are also appealing for now I have none.

Community Member

Imho ranger splits work best for new(er) characters without (high) tomes.
    Free IPS without dex investment, free ranged feats, evasion, resists, heals, Rams, Wild Instinct, FoM. Great secondary tree to invest AP. Obviously Sniper Shot.

Once you get a big dex tome and ideally a FoM flask, Rogue splits are more DPS.

Or go half-way and take 6 Ranger for Sniper Shot because it's just awesome.